Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #31
suzimar57
when i do put some makeup on, he's stunned!
loose screw i find in his work pants
It's cheesy, in a fun sort of way!

the 70s - lived it, have the embarassing photos to prove it....

yep.

must have been the drugs.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #32
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

At least there was a definitive style to the 70's and 80's. The 90's seemed to have been mainly, well, mainly boring. When the first word to describe a decade is "plaid" and the next two are "worn jeans" that doesn't bode well for it in fashion history.
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #33
Jaya
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberlyann11 View Post
80s hands down. For the hair alone- not to mention the MC Hammer pants.

I'll never forget the time I went to the sub shop for a sandwich and the counter girl had this long fluffy hair and her bangs sticking straight up vertical. It was like a weird wall of hair on the front of her head. I just looked at the counter and held my laughing inside until my purchase was done and I was back in my car.

The sad thing is that she was probably considered very stylish by her peers for her hair's amazing, gravity-defying verticalness.

Around here they called them "MALL BANGS". My daughter went through the whole gamut of 80's fashions in junior high and high school....from the neon colors to parachute pants to the Madonna stage (six crucifixes around her neck, black lace gloves) and Michael Jackson stage to wearing a dozen watches at the same time to tri-colored hair to really loud Vans shoes and a whole lot more I can't even remember now (thank goodness). As long as she dressed reasonably for school, church, etc., I let her look as crazy as she wanted on the weekends for concerts, dances, parties. I figured that if I gave in on the things that didn't really matter in the long run, I had leverage to "hold fast" on the important things. One day she came home and announced that she was going to shave stripes on the side of her head. I told her she had another think coming. Of course, the old "you never let me do anything" started up. I just gave her "that look" and she sputtered out.....she knew better and I never heard about THAT idea again. She was a good kid, made straight A's and was reasonably easy to live with, so why not let her have a little fun? She turned out pretty darn good, if I do say so myself.
Jaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #34
KristaTX
♥DIS Veteran♥
I never knew that Fruit of the Looms were souvenirs from my state

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
That picture is just kids now trying to dress '80s-ish, but it doesn't look right. They should all have perms and big bangs, and the clothes are not quite right. It's like the daughter on the show The Goldbergs. Her look, and especially her hair, just isn't quite right. I suppose we all looked the same wrong way to our parents in the '80s when we tried to dress '50s-ish.

Quote:
I've been re-watching all of the Beverly Hills 90210 episodes on the Soap Network over the last few months. I watched them all originally, but I am really surprised at the clothes. The '90s were terrible, but also kind of non-descript. The only person on there with any sense of occasional style was Donna/Tori Spelling. But she always had the WORST dance dresses and Halloween costumes .
Old 12-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #35
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

I was a big 90210 fan, even named my ds the same as one of the characters but I can't for the life of me figure out who Steve's arm is around
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #36
eh24fan
I was such a NKOTB nerd
I was dancing like a fool and having a great time!

That's Scott, David Silver's best friend that accidently killed himself with a gun.

eh24fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #37
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaTX View Post
That picture is just kids now trying to dress '80s-ish, but it doesn't look right. They should all have perms and big bangs, and the clothes are not quite right. It's like the daughter on the show The Goldbergs. Her look, and especially her hair, just isn't quite right. I suppose we all looked the same wrong way to our parents in the '80s when we tried to dress '50s-ish.
You're probably right. I couldn't really find a picture of tru 80's style fashions, though, since most television shows didn't dress the kids in what we think of as 80's fashion (Growing Pains, Family Ties, etc. really didn't capture the ugliness of that decade). Then it hit me: Degrassi! I knew that a gis of that wouldn't disappoint. Darned if I wasn't correct!

You are correct about the original pic not being accurate. It sort of reminds me of The Carrie Diaries. They don't look truly 80's on that show, either. Just like they are trying to dress 80's, but not so 80's that they alienate their audience by looking as truly ridiculous as they would have to look if they stay true to the fashion.

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR* *2015 - CR*

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #38
DizBelle
CSI: Can't Stand Idiots
Slimy yet satisfying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberlyann11 View Post
80s hands down. For the hair alone- not to mention the MC Hammer pants.

I'll never forget the time I went to the sub shop for a sandwich and the counter girl had this long fluffy hair and her bangs sticking straight up vertical. It was like a weird wall of hair on the front of her head. I just looked at the counter and held my laughing inside until my purchase was done and I was back in my car.

The sad thing is that she was probably considered very stylish by her peers for her hair's amazing, gravity-defying verticalness.
I knew a hair stylist that called those the "mall hook". From the side, it looks like a hook - straight up a few inches and then curled back.

Veni, vidi, Visa (I came, I saw, I shopped)

Some people should use a glue stick instead of chapstick.

====================================

====================================
DizBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #39
barkley
DIS Veteran
If I ever have a garage sale the neighbors will think I have major wine and condiment addictions

Quote:
You're probably right. I couldn't really find a picture of tru 80's style fashions, though, since most television shows didn't dress the kids in what we think of as 80's fashion (Growing Pains, Family Ties, etc. really didn't capture the ugliness of that decade). Then it hit me: Degrassi! I knew that a gis of that wouldn't disappoint. Darned if I wasn't correct!

You are correct about the original pic not being accurate. It sort of reminds me of The Carrie Diaries. They don't look truly 80's on that show, either. Just like they are trying to dress 80's, but not so 80's that they alienate their audience by looking as truly ridiculous as they would have to look if they stay true to the fashion.

you're making me want to listen to 'the zit remedy' about now

The REAL Barkley

Wedding Groomsman - 1991
Disneyland - 1992
Maui - 1993

"King of the Closet, Guardian & Protector of Cookies Everywhre"

Does not Cruise due to C.D.P.P.
(Chronic Duck Pirate Phobia)
barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #40
mantysk8coach
Proud member of the DIS chapter of NKOTB Anonymous!

So here's some food for thought. Now that we are several years removed from the 00's (2000-2009), what are people going to remember about the fashions of THAT decade?

I seriously can't think of a thing that stands out.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #41
JennaDeeDooDah

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkley View Post
you're making me want to listen to 'the zit remedy' about now
Everybody wants something
They'll never give up
Everybody wants something
They'll take your money
And never give up!

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR* *2015 - CR*

Old 12-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #42
KristaTX
♥DIS Veteran♥
I never knew that Fruit of the Looms were souvenirs from my state

Quote:

I loved Degrassi Junior High!!

Also, I don't watch The Carrie Diaries, but I watch America's Next Top Model. I caught the ending of a few episodes of The Carrie Diaries, and it really irritates me that it doesn't look remotely '80s-ish.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #43
JennaDeeDooDah

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaTX View Post
I loved Degrassi Junior High!!

Also, I don't watch The Carrie Diaries, but I watch America's Next Top Model. I caught the ending of a few episodes of The Carrie Diaries, and it really irritates me that it doesn't look remotely '80s-ish.
I don't watch it, either. I watched the first episode and was so irritated at how different they made the character of Carrie that I didn't watch another episode. I just remember noticing that they didn't do 80's fashion so much as 80's fashion with a today-style spin so that it looked a bit more normal. For those who haven't seen, this is what some of the outfits look like:

Old 12-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #44
Diznygrl
Disneyland Fanatic
But really, let's get real. I've never met a donut I didn't like

I don't watch The Carrie Diaries, but yeah that doesn't look like 80s at all to me!

The teenage girl on The Goldbergs has been bugging me since the beginning of the show, because she doesn't look nearly 80s enough, especially the hair.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #45
Cantw8
This is blasphemy. You all need to zip it now
..I'm scared..hold me...
You can run..
I think her signiture makes her butt look big
I do have a life ya know

I'm going to have to go with the 80's. I was busy with 2 little kids during the 90's so unless the fashion was a spit-up stained shirt and sweat pants, I didn't have a clue

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: