Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #31
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamRoc View Post
I actually don't like remakes at all and won't watch this. And no one will ever be Maria Von Trapp for me except Julie Andrews.
Lol, Mary Martin payed the role on Broadway first. If it weren't for remakes you would have never seen Julie Andrews in the movie.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #32
DWGal210
DIS Veteran

I'll watch it, although I'll be gone that night so I need to set my DVR.

I saw Carrie Underwood in concert last year and she was fantastic. The crazy thing is, she had the flu and STILL sang circles around 80% of the "stars" out there. She kept apologizing to us, too, and donated money to our local animal shelter because she felt so bad about being under the weather. But I thought she sounded great.

DWGal210 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #33
Coonhound
Mouseketeer

This is not a remake of the movie. This is a live stage play that is being broadcast on television. If anything, it's a remake of the Broadway play of Sound of Music...not a remake of the movie. Anyway that is what the producers have been saying- they are remaking the original Broadway play, not the movie.
Also, I just am pointing out that the Broadway play actually came BEFORE the movie, and Julie Andrews was NOT the original Maria.
Coonhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #34
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

Interestingly, when I saw the Broadway production with Rebecca Luker, they changed some of the stage version yo make it more like the movie. Have to wonder if those changes will be incorporated into this production.

One thing I remember from that stage version -- when they arrive at the folk festival and take the stage to perform, giant Nazi flags unfurl as backdrop. It actualy made me wince.
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #35
JaneBanks
Lime Cordial, delicious! Laughing on the ceiling with Uncle Albert

I hope this is really successful and they decide to do a different musical each year. Make it a December holiday tradition. It would be great for folks who, for one reason or another, can't get out to the theater to see some wonderful shows, whether it be Broadway or local.

(ME) (DH) =

December 2010 Grand Floridian Honeymoon

February 2012 Port Orleans French Quarter
January 2014 Port Orleans French Quarter

2014 Reading Challenge
Currently Reading Book #1 - The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
JaneBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #36
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneBanks View Post
I hope this is really successful and they decide to do a different musical each year. Make it a December holiday tradition. It would be great for folks who, for one reason or another, can't get out to the theater to see some wonderful shows, whether it be Broadway or local.
I agree. I fell in love with several plays, including Camelot with Richard Harris because hbo would do one every few months when we first got it, in the late 70's.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #37
Kimberle
WL Vet

They are performing a live version of the original Broadway musical. Mary Martin was the original, not Julie Andrews.

I love Broadway shows and have seen hundreds (on Broadway, not traveling). I have seen many made into movies. To me, the movie always pales in comparison.

Mary Poppins on Broadway always got a bad rap because it didn't compare to the movie. The Broadway production went back to the original book, they didn't try to copy the movie.

I am excited to see the Broadway show. I wasn't born when it was originally on Broadway.

P.S. Everyone should research the true story of the Von Trapp family. The movie is very different from what actually happened in their real life. In fact, they were not even invited to the movie premier.
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level
Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #38
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberle
They are performing a live version of the original Broadway musical. Mary Martin was the original, not Julie Andrews.

I love Broadway shows and have seen hundreds (on Broadway, not traveling). I have seen many made into movies. To me, the movie always pales in comparison.

Mary Poppins on Broadway always got a bad rap because it didn't compare to the movie. The Broadway production went back to the original book, they didn't try to copy the movie.

I am excited to see the Broadway show. I wasn't born when it was originally on Broadway.

P.S. Everyone should research the true story of the Von Trapp family. The movie is very different from what actually happened in their real life. In fact, they were not even invited to the movie premier.
I read Maria von Trapp's autobiography. Rodgers and Hammerstein took a lot of liberties.
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #39
jodifla

DIS Veteran

I think it's too bad the the Broadway stars have the supporting roles, while the starring roles go to TV/pop stars.

There's some great, veteran talent among the cast, but they went with stunt casting in the leads to draw in regulars.
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #40
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

I cant wait! Well, I'll have to since I wont be home but I will DVR it.

SOM is not my favorite musical but I love musicals so it is a not miss for me. DD acted in the local community theatre's version several years ago. I like the play better than the movie.
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:51 AM   #41
elgerber
Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet & see a movie alone
Likes to grill year round

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodifla View Post
I think it's too bad the the Broadway stars have the supporting roles, while the starring roles go to TV/pop stars. There's some great, veteran talent among the cast, but they went with stunt casting in the leads to draw in regulars.
Totally agree and this is why I won't be watching. Carrie has a great voice but she bugs the heck out of me and I would rather see Broadway stars doing the show.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #42
pooh6890
DIS Veteran

I am definitely watching. My first choice wouldn't be Carrie Underwood, but she is a flawless singer and will probably do very well. I saw a tour years back of SOM starring Marie Osmond. I was shocked how well she sounded and loved the show. She took a lot of lessons to perform the songs, as I am sure Carrie did. I think it will be great!
pooh6890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #43
Patch'sD
DIS Veteran

The live performance is being broadcast from the Bethpage Studios located in Bethpage NY, a few miles from my home. It is a large Sound Stage that used to be the final assembly building for the Lunar Module used during the apollo program in the late 60's and early 70's. It is not being shot in front of live audence but across multiple sets. Filmed at this location were Salt, Marvel Super Hero's, The amazing Spiderman and a few other films.
Patch'sD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #44
luvflorida
Free entertainment is everywhere

I watched the tv special on the making of this production and I'm very much looking forward to seeing the live performance tonight!

I've always loved the movie version, but have also seen The Sound of Music several times on Broadway, which was also very good. My younger daughter played Gretl one year in summerstock theatre in Maine, and the following year she played Marta at a different theatre.

It'll be interesting to see this production! It looks like it's going to be very good!
Old 12-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #45
BookPrincess
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgerber View Post
Totally agree and this is why I won't be watching. Carrie has a great voice but she bugs the heck out of me and I would rather see Broadway stars doing the show.
Not a Carrie fan either.. but DD really wants to see it so I think we'll watch.

I was wondering.. do you think they have understudies for anyone.. especially the children? What would happen if for some reason one couldn't go on tonight? I realize it would have to be extreme, but things to happen.. in many "live" performances involving children they have an understudy all ready to go waiting in the wings. (We learned this during a backstage tour of "Mary Poppins". There are 3 sets of children. One performs, one is ready to go, and one has the night off for each show.)
BookPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: