Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #16
barkley
DIS Veteran
If I ever have a garage sale the neighbors will think I have major wine and condiment addictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by clh2 View Post
Hmmm...interesting idea! My recipe calls for ground pork and ground veal in addition to the ground beef. Perhaps I could just use all beef. I love shepard's pie. Would be easy to do this in individual bowls too.

I probably should have mentioned, I hate bell peppers. So, I appreciate those suggestions, but not happening in my house. I'm ok with bell peppers in fresh salsa, but not in anything that has been cooked.

I also do not want to brown, season and freeze the meat. Then I'm stuck in the same boat of "what to do with it" and it will remain in the freezer until the next time we defrost it, and then we will pitch it!

it works fine with just ground beef (I use ground lamb but if I'm running low ground beef works fine). omit the mashed potatos (don't freeze well), wait to add when you reheat.

meatloaf. I always cook 2 planning on freezing one (or a couple of small ones to pull out for lunch sandwiches). I do traditional and 'italian'. Italian just means I add the garlic, oregano, basil...stuff I put in meatballs cuz I've got a kid who won't eat 'meatloaf' but will eat 'meatball loaf'-instead of the traditional tomato sauce/catsup on top I use a little pasta sauce. freezes realy well.

I've done up multiple batches of sloppy joe and frozen (some in individual containers for lunch). chili freezes well. the dry seasoning packets of stroganoff mix can be done with ground beef. freeze then just heat noodles or rice.

I do up some meat with taco seasoning and freeze for a night when we're on the go. I always have tortillas, taco shells and salsa around so I just defrost the bag and the family chooses what they want to make of it (i'll heat some beans to go with it).

The REAL Barkley

Wedding Groomsman - 1991
Disneyland - 1992
Maui - 1993

"King of the Closet, Guardian & Protector of Cookies Everywhre"

Does not Cruise due to C.D.P.P.
(Chronic Duck Pirate Phobia)
barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #17
njmom47
He's such a fiend!
The monkeys would go crazy on the cars
I wound up with orange tiger stripes

Salisbury steaks

Junior Brody Stella Luna Louie Ella the Bunny
Christmas 07/New Years 08-CBR (baseball), 2006-POR (cheering), 2001-Dixie Landings, 1988, 1975-Offsite
Trip was great...no new ticker for awhile!
njmom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #18
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Meatballs! Use the Cook's Illustrated recipe - from "The New Best Recipe."
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #19
chobie
Fish are friends, not food
My beautiful, smart, awesome daughter changed my tags!
Would you please stop making my head hurt today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
Meatballs! Use the Cook's Illustrated recipe - from "The New Best Recipe."
Yes!
chobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #20
lauradis
DIS Veteran

Look up once a month cooking they have tons of freezer meals. When we get deal on lean beef I like to do seasoned brown fully cooked then add to whatever meal I'm using it for.

Think someone already said freeze it on cookie sheet and then put into bigger freezer bag so you can scoop out what is needed.
lauradis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #21
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

You've gotten several responses here for ideas of things to cook and I can't add to that, but will say that I do like having a couple packages of cooked hamburger in the freezer for those times I want to make something that calls for hamburger and I don't have any and don't feel like driving 20 minutes to the grocery store to buy it.

I usually add frozen cooked ground beef to spaghetti sauce.

And I like to make hamburger/vegetable soup in the winter so add a frozen bag of cooked ground beef to that too.

I would prefer to cook up a few pounds of ground beef at once, and freeze them. Then they're ready to use for whatever I want to make. And it's especially nice to have in the freezer for when the kids or unexpected company is here for a meal.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #22
*DisneyDreamer
Mouseketeer

If you like Mexican, I saw a recipe on Facebook yesterday for Mexican Stuffed Shells and they sounded amazing.

Recipe:

Ingredients
1 pound ground beef (or ground turkey)
1 package low-sodium taco seasoning
4 ounces cream cheese
16 jumbo pasta shells
1 1/2 cups salsa
1 cup taco sauce
1 cup cheddar cheese
1 cup Monterrey jack cheese

For toppings
3 green onions
Sour cream

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350°. In a pan brown the ground beef; add taco seasoning and prepare according to package directions. Add cream cheese, cover and simmer until cheese is melted. Stir together and mix well. Set aside and cool completely. While ground beef is cooking, cook the pasta shells according to package directions; drain. Set shells out individually on cutting board or baking sheet so that they don’t stick together. Pour salsa on bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Stuff each shell with 1-2 tablespoons of the meat mixture. Place shells in 9×13 pan open side up. Evenly cover shells with taco sauce. Cover dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, add shredded cheese and bake for 10-15 more minutes with the foil removed. Top with green onions or olives if desired. Serve with sour cream and/or more salsa!

*DisneyDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #23
Tinijocaro
DIS Veteran

Try Cincinnati chili. It's a uniquely flavored meat sauce served over noodles. Better served the day after it's made. My kids love it. I'm making it tomorrow. http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/13157/cincinnati-chili-i

It will freeze well.
Tinijocaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: