Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #46
KiKi Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxstch View Post
I'm confused..how can he have possession of the registration if she has the car? As far as I know, the registration has to be kept in the vehicle. If she got stopped, police would ask for license and registration, and she wouldn't be able to provide it???
If she were to get stopped the police can run the plate to check the registration. It is up to the driver to physically produce it and she could get a ticket for not being able to do so.
Best thing to do is to get the vehicle registered in her name instead of having to rely on other people to do it for her.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #47
ClarabelleCowFan
Found Someone You Have
There's always a shortage of Barbie legs
I'm as coordinated as a drunk duck
Has never owned a guinea pig
If I see a vein I'm done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
Yep.

If my father said that crap to me, the next thing out of my mouth is "come and get it."

I do not have 1 second of tolerance for that kind of stuff, mental illness or not.

And believe me my MIL was paranoid schizophrenic and I still did not put up with shenanagins.

All it does is make you feel like crap and make them have power over you which they have no right to do so...I shudder at the thought of that.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do OP.
I had that conversation with my daughter. Take away the power in this situation and be financially independent of him. I had a controlling father as well and the day I finally let it go was so liberating.

I appreciate all of the replies. I was trying not to air any dirty laundry or badmouth my ex. We have always been very close up until recently. He has been diagnosed with mental issues including PTSD which caused him to lose his job of over 20 years and qualify for state disability. It isn't easy to qualify for disability so apparently this is not something I am just making up but something that his doctor and the disability board agree is an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBird View Post

Hope you get it straightened out, girl.
JO! Very long time, no see. Girl, you have no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jama View Post
How did the dad get on state disability when he has a large inheritance and can write a check for a new car? Sounds like he doesn't need the state's help financially..
The disability came first. The inheritance is from the recent cash sale of his mother's home. The Grandmother had left the original vehicle to my daughter and it was used towards the purchase of the new vehicle. The vehicle is another used car but a later year and more dependable car than the one traded in.

I don't know that the amount of cash you have in the bank affects your ability to collect disability. The state has deemed him incapable of working so he gets a check. I'm totally ignorant to the laws in that respect.

I'm trying to stay out of all of it but with the vehicle left here for the week it puts me smack dab in the middle.
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #48
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

You can put it in my garage. He'll never find it here.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #49
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxstch
I'm confused..how can he have possession of the registration if she has the car? As far as I know, the registration has to be kept in the vehicle. If she got stopped, police would ask for license and registration, and she wouldn't be able to provide it???
I don't know about South Carolina. But when I register a car here in NY I get two documents. The first is a print out with the make, model and year of the vehicle, an ID number and my name and address. That's in my wallet right now.

The second document is a sticker for my windshield. It does not have my name or address, it only has the ID number and info about the car.
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #50
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarabelleCowFan

I had that conversation with my daughter. Take away the power in this situation and be financially independent of him. I had a controlling father as well and the day I finally let it go was so liberating.

I appreciate all of the replies. I was trying not to air any dirty laundry or badmouth my ex. We have always been very close up until recently. He has been diagnosed with mental issues including PTSD which caused him to lose his job of over 20 years and qualify for state disability. It isn't easy to qualify for disability so apparently this is not something I am just making up but something that his doctor and the disability board agree is an issue.

JO! Very long time, no see. Girl, you have no idea.

The disability came first. The inheritance is from the recent cash sale of his mother's home. The Grandmother had left the original vehicle to my daughter and it was used towards the purchase of the new vehicle. The vehicle is another used car but a later year and more dependable car than the one traded in.

I don't know that the amount of cash you have in the bank affects your ability to collect disability. The state has deemed him incapable of working so he gets a check. I'm totally ignorant to the laws in that respect.

I'm trying to stay out of all of it but with the vehicle left here for the week it puts me smack dab in the middle.
So that changes my analysis as to who might prevail in court. Daughter's vehicle (inherited from grandmother) was used as a trade in for current vehicle. Both owners cobtributed to the purchase price of the vehicle. Majes it more difficult to say the car was a gift from her father.

Bottom line, though. Is the car worth the game playing and is there a way to work things out with father? Pay him off and have him transfer title to daughter?
Old 12-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #51
lynxstch
Love that Figment!
Turkey, Clay, and my favorite all time christmas song..all on the same day..it doesn't get any better!
Learned the hard way not to store meltables in the oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei Lee View Post
I don't know about South Carolina. But when I register a car here in NY I get two documents. The first is a print out with the make, model and year of the vehicle, an ID number and my name and address. That's in my wallet right now.

The second document is a sticker for my windshield. It does not have my name or address, it only has the ID number and info about the car.
Maryland here..we get one printout of the registration,( no stickers, no copy for wallet), just 2 little 'month/year' stickers that go on the license plates,registration is supposed to be kept in the car to be shown with license if stopped by police, that's why I was confused when OP said her daughter didn't have the registration but her father did..thanks!
Old 12-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #52
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxstch

Maryland here..we get one printout of the registration,( no stickers, no copy for wallet), just 2 little 'month/year' stickers that go on the license plates,registration is supposed to be kept in the car to be shown with license if stopped by police, that's why I was confused when OP said her daughter didn't have the registration but her father did..thanks!
Not a problem.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #53
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

Heck, let her keep the car. Just take the engine.
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #54
ShayBells
DIS Veteran

If it was me and I was your daughter. I would suck it up and lie. I would say sorry to the dad and suck up to him with a smile on my face and than after I placated him I would throw some big story about how I had to register the car with the schools state and it would just be easier to transfer the title into her name and her insurance so it's cheaper and blah blah blah.

Than after everything is in her name well she can than disagree with him all she wants.

I've been there. I've learned how to bullsh*t the bullsh*ter.

And this all only if he can be smoozed but the controlling person in my family loves being apologized to and told he was right. You just have to know how to treat them as an individual to get what you want.

Again this is just my opinion how I would do it. I feel for you I've been in situations like your daughter. It's a mess and very stressful. I hope everything works out for you guys any way you decide to handle it.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
ShayBells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:03 AM   #55
lizziepooh
DIS Veteran

I am wondering how the wife can insure a car that she doesn't own. Wouldn't her name have to be on the title also in order to insure it?
lizziepooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #56
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzadi View Post
How can the OP be charged with receiving stolen property if the DD is also "one of the owners and entitled to possession"?

But is she an owner? I have been trying to sort it out but in my state, the registration can have two people on it. The insurance needs to match the registration. I cannot carry insurance on vehicles that are not mine.

I am very glad that teh OP contacted her attorney because it is clear that this is a mess.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #57
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyg56 View Post
But is she an owner? I have been trying to sort it out but in my state, the registration can have two people on it. The insurance needs to match the registration. I cannot carry insurance on vehicles that are not mine.

I am very glad that teh OP contacted her attorney because it is clear that this is a mess.
I didn't say DD would be charged, I said the OP could be charged. DD's name is on the title document and she is assumed to have an ownership interest in the car.

The OP, on the other hand, has no such ownership interest. Her name isn't on the title. Father, as the owner of the car and the party in whose name the car is registered, is presumed to be entitled to possession of the vehicle. If father shows up at mother's house and asks for the vehicle, and OP refuses to give him the car, she's setting herself up for some potentially ugly consequences.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #58
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

The OP can not keep the car if the police showed up. The car is not in her name. She would have to hand it over to the registered owner. I do not understand the need to hide the car and keep an argument going. All this would do is make the man more angry.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #59
RitaE
DIS Veteran

I really don't have any answers to all your legal questions here but I'll throw my opinion into the ring.

Playing these sort of power struggle games with somebody who is -- let's just say not in the best of mental health -- is a no win situation and has the potential of heaping more stress and anxiety on your daughter's head than any car could ever be worth.

If it were me, if it were my child, I'd hand the car, the keys, and the whole thing back and tell him you just aren't going to play the game. You love him, your daughter loves him and you all hope he gets himself back together but for the mental health of your daughter and yourself it would be best if he keeps his contact with all of you to a bare minimum until he is capable of acting appropriately and treating others appropriately.

I realize that she is a college student and financially giving up that car will be a huge hit. But if it were me, I'd find a way to help her do it.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #60
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei Lee View Post
I didn't say DD would be charged, I said the OP could be charged. DD's name is on the title document and she is assumed to have an ownership interest in the car.

The OP, on the other hand, has no such ownership interest. Her name isn't on the title. Father, as the owner of the car and the party in whose name the car is registered, is presumed to be entitled to possession of the vehicle. If father shows up at mother's house and asks for the vehicle, and OP refuses to give him the car, she's setting herself up for some potentially ugly consequences.
Oh I think I was not clear. I have no idea who would or could be charged in this case. I am just confused there are so many people who have some sort of hand on paying for this vehicle. The step mom carries the insurance but is nt on the registration, the DD is on the title but not on registration, the dad has the documents in another state.

I would walk away form this mess as fast as possible, and would not want that car in my garage under these circumstances.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: