Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
sdjen
DIS Veteran
 
sdjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 800

X box questions

I am going to be getting my DD an Xbox for Christmas (she is almost 8).

Any advice on which one to get? I want to get one of the older versions (not the new one that just came out). There seem to be two sizes and I dont know which one to get?? I think i need the Kinect also, right??

She will be getting a couple of games (minecraft & just dance). What controllers do I need to make sure she has?

What else can the Xbox do? I think i read that you can watch netflix through it? If we already have a netflix account set up, will that work?

Thanks for your help!
__________________
sdjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,972

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjen View Post
I am going to be getting my DD an Xbox for Christmas (she is almost 8).

Any advice on which one to get? I want to get one of the older versions (not the new one that just came out). There seem to be two sizes and I dont know which one to get?? I think i need the Kinect also, right??

She will be getting a couple of games (minecraft & just dance). What controllers do I need to make sure she has?

What else can the Xbox do? I think i read that you can watch netflix through it? If we already have a netflix account set up, will that work?

Thanks for your help!
You've decided on the XBOX 360, which is probably what I would do right now also. There should be two sizes available... 16G(?) and 250G. If you can afford it, get the 250G. You can download games (both trial and purchase), and that's where the storage comes in.

I believe Just Dance will require the Kinect, but even if it didn't, I suggest getting one. My kids like 'Kinect Party' which we downloaded for free last year. It's just a goofy way to show off what the connect will do.

As far as controllers, the console should come with one controller. If you expect two people to play at anytime, you'd need to get a second controller.

Netflix can run through the 360, but I have no experience on that.

If you join XBOX Live (added cost of course), she can play games (including Minecraft I know) online. She then might want an XBOX headset that allows her to talk to her friends. You can set things up so she can only play with 'friends', and you need to enter a password for her to 'make' friends.
__________________
Freedom W. Caribbean June 15 - June 22, 2014 Video
Oasis W. Caribbean June 8 - June 15, 2014 Review
Barcelo Maya Palace June 29-July 6, 2012
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran
 
aaarcher86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 7,855

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjen View Post
I am going to be getting my DD an Xbox for Christmas (she is almost 8).

Any advice on which one to get? I want to get one of the older versions (not the new one that just came out). There seem to be two sizes and I dont know which one to get?? I think i need the Kinect also, right??

She will be getting a couple of games (minecraft & just dance). What controllers do I need to make sure she has?

What else can the Xbox do? I think i read that you can watch netflix through it? If we already have a netflix account set up, will that work?

Thanks for your help!
I'd get the biggest hard drive available.

If you're getting Just Dance for the Xbox you would need the Kinect. If you have a Wii I actually prefer the Just Dance game on that wholeheartedly. The Xbox should come with at least 1 console controller which is all you need to play Minecraft at the like. I don't know if you want her online to play with friends (or if that's even possible with Minecraft?) but if you do you'll need a subscription to Xbox Live. You can get that at any time.

For Netflix, you basically just get an app on the Xbox main screen (called the dashboard) and you input your account information. Voila. It's a pretty straightforward system.
__________________
aaarcher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
Albort
ODV Crew
The challenge is - who can find me?
 
Albort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fullerton
Posts: 7,363

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjen View Post
I am going to be getting my DD an Xbox for Christmas (she is almost 8).

Any advice on which one to get? I want to get one of the older versions (not the new one that just came out). There seem to be two sizes and I dont know which one to get?? I think i need the Kinect also, right??

She will be getting a couple of games (minecraft & just dance). What controllers do I need to make sure she has?

What else can the Xbox do? I think i read that you can watch netflix through it? If we already have a netflix account set up, will that work?

Thanks for your help!
when you say two sizes, im guessing its the different hard drive sizes? Its better to have a bigger hard drive so you can store some games and files onto it. this can be upgraded later on though.

If you want any of the dance games, you will need a kinect. The xbox comes with a controller so you should be fine there unless other people will be playing it, then u need more controllers.

Yes, the Xbox can do netflix, but you need to have a xbox live gold card to be able to get to it(i think, i dont recall). xboxlive gold is like the online functionality of the xbox. You can find these online as cheap as $30, regular price is like $50(i think).
__________________
"Me failed inglish? thats unpossible!" - Ralph Wiggums
Albort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
wiigirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15,974

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
I'd get the biggest hard drive available.

If you're getting Just Dance for the Xbox you would need the Kinect. If you have a Wii I actually prefer the Just Dance game on that wholeheartedly. The Xbox should come with at least 1 console controller which is all you need to play Minecraft at the like. I don't know if you want her online to play with friends (or if that's even possible with Minecraft?) but if you do you'll need a subscription to Xbox Live. You can get that at any time.

For Netflix, you basically just get an app on the Xbox main screen (called the dashboard) and you input your account information. Voila. It's a pretty straightforward system.
__________________
For the love of Disney...
wiigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran
 
aaarcher86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 7,855

Here is a step by step for the Netflix stuff - looks like you do need a Gold membership to do it through the Xbox.

If that's all you'd use it for, I'd skip putting it on your Xbox and watch movies however you have been.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-3.../netflix-setup
__________________
aaarcher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda
 
FlightlessDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Posts: 11,891

Why an X-Box? For a 7 year old? While not all X-Box games are violent first person shooters, that is one of their big things.

Have you thought about a Wii instead?
__________________
FlightlessDuck
DH of MouseEarsJenny

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #8
elf
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 798

I have two girls, and have wii and xbox. We all like xbox with kinnect much more, although we like the mario kart on wii for driving games. I don't like violent games and just stay away from them. Our fav's our Disneyland adventure which is walking through the parks we all love this. Love the just dance, and my dd had an excerise one she likes.

I would get the kinnect, it makes it even more fun. We've had ours for a year (or 2 can't remember), I'm getting the Xbox live and headphones this holiday for them.

Last edited by elf; 12-03-2013 at 01:57 PM.
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
h518may
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
Why an X-Box? For a 7 year old? While not all X-Box games are violent first person shooters, that is one of their big things.

Have you thought about a Wii instead?
Probably because the xbox is the only gaming system that will play minecraft.


You will need a live gold account if she wants to play with friends on minecraft, and Netflix requires a gold account.
Another thing if you have the Kinnect then you do not need headphones to talk to friends in the games.
__________________
DD 8 DS 10
h518may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #10
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran
 
aaarcher86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 7,855

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
Why an X-Box? For a 7 year old? While not all X-Box games are violent first person shooters, that is one of their big things. Have you thought about a Wii instead?
There are plenty of non violent Xbox games. I guess it depends on what you consider violent? Angry birds? Lego Star Wars characters wielding light sabers?

http://www.toysrus.com/search/index....ing%7CEveryone
__________________
aaarcher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #11
sdjen
DIS Veteran
 
sdjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by h518may View Post
Probably because the xbox is the only gaming system that will play minecraft.


You will need a live gold account if she wants to play with friends on minecraft, and Netflix requires a gold account.
Another thing if you have the Kinnect then you do not need headphones to talk to friends in the games.

Op here. That is exactly right. Only the Xbox has Minecraft. I will not be letting her be online with others for a long while though.
__________________
sdjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #12
sdjen
DIS Veteran
 
sdjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 800

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Anyone have any other kid friendly games to recommend?
__________________
sdjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #13
Albort
ODV Crew
The challenge is - who can find me?
 
Albort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fullerton
Posts: 7,363

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjen View Post
Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Anyone have any other kid friendly games to recommend?
Dance Central 1-3...
Disneyland Adventures.
__________________
"Me failed inglish? thats unpossible!" - Ralph Wiggums
Albort is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.