Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #46
SamRoc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diznygrl View Post
1. FELIZ NAVIDAD:headaches
me too! they play that son WAY too much!!

1st trip 1975,1st anniversary trip 1983,Polynesian 1987,Ft. Wilderness Cabins 1990,Ft. Wilderness Cabins 1992, Contemporary 1995,Contemporary 1998 Disney Cruise,Polynesian Oct 2000, Fort Wilderness Cabins 2001, Motorhome Ft. Wilderness 2003, Grand Villa OKW April 2004,VWL Christmas 2004, Rental home April 2005,Ft. Wilderness Cabins Oct 2005 MNSSHP, Rental home Christmas 2005, 1st time in our home in Emerald Island Feb 2006!, EI March 2006, EI April 2006,EI June 2006, EI and Disney Magic (Wedding)August 2006,EI Oct 2006 MNSSHP ,Feb 2007,April 2007,Oct 2007 (Our 25th Anniversary!)Dec 2007 VWL, Jan 2008 EI,May 2008 EI,Dec 2008-March 2009 (1st snowbird experience!) June 2009 EI,June 2011 EI, Dec 2011 EI, Jan 2011 EI
SamRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #47
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

1. Christmas Shoes - This song is absolutely terrible. Who on earth thought it was a good idea?

2. Feed the World (Do They Know It's Christmastime) - "The greatest gift they'll get this year is life" is a terrible line. I understand the point that they are trying to make, but life is a fantastic gift and the greatest one any of us will get. Find a better line.

3. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Clause - I used to think that this song was about a kid who actually saw his mom kissing Santa and not his dad in a Santa suit. I thought it was absolutely horrible that Santa and mommy were cheating on their spouses and that the child saw it.

4. Same Auld Lang Syne - I don't really understand how this is a Christmas song. The only thing that makes this Christmasy is the line "snow was falling Christmas eve." No other part is about Christmas. Nothing they are doing is because it is Christmas. It isn't a Christmas song. It's just a terrible song. Of course, since people classify it as Christmas, it only gets played this time of year so I don't have to put up with it in, say, April. It's a terrible song, though.

5. Wonderful Christmastime - There is no way to get this out of my head once I have heard it. It's not nearly as bad as the previously mentioned songs, but because it gets stuck in my head so easily, I put it on the list.

I'm going to give My Favorite Things an honorable mention. It is not a Christmas song. There is nothing about it that says Christmas. It is from The Sound of Music and sang during a giant thunderstorm to calm children. Not Christmas. Not Christmas at all. Why do they play it on the Christmas stations?

And, as far as Baby It's cold Outside goes, I never thought it was a date rape song until I came to this board. I mean, she doesn't get doped up or anything. I figure she asks what's in the drink because she doesn't know what kind of drink he mixed up for her - not because she thinks he slipped her a mickey.

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR Royal Guest Room* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR Royal Guest Room*

Last edited by JennaDeeDooDah; 12-03-2013 at 02:10 PM.
JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #48
Diznygrl
Disneyland Fanatic
But really, let's get real. I've never met a donut I didn't like

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post
Not only is "The Christmas Shoes" my least favorite Christmas song, it's my least favorite song of all time. Ever. Period.

I think that's a love it or hate it song, because a lot of me actually love it. Me? I literally despise it.

Anyway, my bottom 5:

1) The Christmas Shoes
2) Sleigh Bells. Way too many versions of it, and almost all sound the same. Unless you're Leroy Anderson or Arthur Fiedler, I don't ever want to hear your version of it again.
3) Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. Unless it's sung with the original lyrics. It's not, "Hang a shining star upon the highest bough." It's "Until then, we have to muddle through somehow." One of my huge Christmas pet peeves.
4) I Want a Hippopotamous for Christmas
5) Same Auld Lang Syne

Not sure I've heard of a song called Sleigh Bells. Do you mean Sleigh Ride?
Old 12-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #49
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

Santa Baby - any version!
Old 12-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #50
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

OK... I like "My Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music. I really do.

But why is it played at Christmas? It's not a Christmas song.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #51
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

A friend of mine posted this on my FB wall yesterday. I found it funny!

Here are the 5 best ways to survive, “Christmas Shoes.”

1. If it comes on the radio while you are driving in a car, don’t forget to tuck your shoulder when you open the door to roll out into the street. If you can, try to time your roll when the car is going slowly and let your back take the brunt of the landing. If you’re driving, this is still valid advice. Your car might ghost ride for a little while, but you can always buy a new one. You can’t always unhear this song.

2. Don’t try to negotiate with it. Much like fear, the Christmas Shoes song cannot be beat with logic or rational thinking. Don’t waste time with questions like, “Where is this kid’s dad? Does he have a dad? Why shoes? Why not a Christmas dress? Why not a delicious bowl of queso? Has an 8 year old ever successfully purchased a women’s shoe in the history of mankind?”

3. Forget trying to make it an “acquired taste.” This song isn’t like algebra, it doesn’t get better once you get used to it. Don’t think that listening to it on repeat will solve your problems.

4. Keep it out of any Christmas playlist. I know what you’re thinking, “Jon, I’ll just hide it in the middle of a 100 song playlist. No one at the party will notice.” They will and so will you when you notice people are leaving your party.

5. Stop being friends with people who say it’s not a bad song. They’re wrong. Those people have terrible judgment and probably prefer unfrosted pop tarts as well. Stop doing life with them.

We’ll get through this friend, I know we will, but it’s going to take a village.

What is your best tip to survive Christmas Shoes?

- See more at: http://stuffchristianslike.net/2013/....Shr0w3ts.dpuf

And this little gem too (fair warning, it may make you go self sooth in the corner.... )

http://youtu.be/eoh7yg5DmHU

I've been BOO'ed by GoofyinToronto!
pigletgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #52
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
OK... I like "My Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music. I really do.

But why is it played at Christmas? It's not a Christmas song.
That's what I'm saying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletgirl View Post
A friend of mine posted this on my FB wall yesterday. I found it funny!

Here are the 5 best ways to survive, “Christmas Shoes.”

1. If it comes on the radio while you are driving in a car, don’t forget to tuck your shoulder when you open the door to roll out into the street. If you can, try to time your roll when the car is going slowly and let your back take the brunt of the landing. If you’re driving, this is still valid advice. Your car might ghost ride for a little while, but you can always buy a new one. You can’t always unhear this song.

2. Don’t try to negotiate with it. Much like fear, the Christmas Shoes song cannot be beat with logic or rational thinking. Don’t waste time with questions like, “Where is this kid’s dad? Does he have a dad? Why shoes? Why not a Christmas dress? Why not a delicious bowl of queso? Has an 8 year old ever successfully purchased a women’s shoe in the history of mankind?”

3. Forget trying to make it an “acquired taste.” This song isn’t like algebra, it doesn’t get better once you get used to it. Don’t think that listening to it on repeat will solve your problems.

4. Keep it out of any Christmas playlist. I know what you’re thinking, “Jon, I’ll just hide it in the middle of a 100 song playlist. No one at the party will notice.” They will and so will you when you notice people are leaving your party.

5. Stop being friends with people who say it’s not a bad song. They’re wrong. Those people have terrible judgment and probably prefer unfrosted pop tarts as well. Stop doing life with them.

We’ll get through this friend, I know we will, but it’s going to take a village.

What is your best tip to survive Christmas Shoes?

- See more at: http://stuffchristianslike.net/2013/....Shr0w3ts.dpuf

Okay, hilarious. I was going to bold the part about a delicious bowl of queso as the funniest part. Then I read the part about "acquired taste" and thought I needed to bold that, as well. Then I got to the part about people with terrible judgment and unfrosted pop tarts. That's when I lost it.

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR Royal Guest Room* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR Royal Guest Room*

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #53
VAfamily1998
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
Eh. Baby it's cold outside was just a cute song written by a husband to his wife. People need to quit looking for the boogeyman everywhere...
The lyrics in no way reflect a conversation between a husband and wife. Why would a husband hope his wife "drops in?" Why would they worry what the neighbors will think? Why would a wife's mother "worry" or father "pace the floor?"
VAfamily1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:52 AM   #54
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfamily1998 View Post
The lyrics in no way reflect a conversation between a husband and wife. Why would a husband hope his wife "drops in?" Why would they worry what the neighbors will think? Why would a wife's mother "worry" or father "pace the floor?"
Read the history if the song.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby,_It's_Cold_Outside

Sorry for the wiki link. It is the quickest piece to find.

Culturally in that era questions like "what's in this drink" weren't about date rape drugs. It was about justifying and abdicating responsibility for their choices.

As I said, people need to quit looking for the boogeyman everywhere.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #55
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfamily1998 View Post
While it was written by a couple, I agree that it's not about a married couple.

But the "date rape" thing isn't accurate either. Unfortunately that's where people's mind go now due to changes in society, but that's not what was meant.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #56
Liberty Belle
I was going to reply, but I see I already did...three years ago!
Hey, I warned you. Now go have a drink. It's the only thing that takes it away
Makes sleestack noises when her throat itches

1. Barbra Streisand's Jingle Bells - makes me want to choke the nearest person every time I hear it.
2. Carol of the Bells - only slightly less stress-inducing than BS's JB.
3. Wonderful Christmastime - sorry Sir Paul, but the song sucks.

*Honorable Mention - The Christmas Shoes. I don't hate it as much as everyone else, but I'd definitely not choose to listen to it.

DH: Me: DS (20): DS(10):
(Hunter) (Leo) (Anatevka) : (Cookie)

Last edited by Liberty Belle; 12-05-2013 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
Liberty Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #57
Liberty Belle
I was going to reply, but I see I already did...three years ago!
Hey, I warned you. Now go have a drink. It's the only thing that takes it away
Makes sleestack noises when her throat itches

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3CW View Post
Oh, man, I worked retail for years. There are so many Christmas songs that just set my teeth on edge; I could probably give you a top 20 or 30. Mostly I listen to instrumental Christmas music now.

Anyway, my top 5:
5 - Do They Know It's Christmas...Super depressing and culturally insensitive. "Well, tonight thank God it's them instead of you."...uh, really?

4 - Barbra Streisand's insanely sped-up version of Jingle Bells

3 - Santa Baby

2 - Baby, It's Cold Outside, aka Merry Date Rape Christmas. Seriously, it includes the line, "Say, what's in this drink?" *shudder*

1 - Wonderful Christmastime by Paul McCartney It's just so repetitive and irritating!

So much of that song is just wrong. I enjoy it, though, because it brings back good memories.

DH: Me: DS (20): DS(10):
(Hunter) (Leo) (Anatevka) : (Cookie)
Liberty Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #58
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

I have never hear "Christmas shoes". Thankfully!!
Old 12-05-2013, 07:33 AM   #59
Howgreat
Mouseketeer

In no particular order:

1)Grown-up Christmas list-Way overplayed
2)Christmas Shoes-I like the premise behind it, I guess, it's just super cheesy
3)Santa Baby-I've been playing the "Christmas" Pandora station at home and they've played "Santa Baby" so many times that I caught my FOUR year old singing it.
4)There Won't be Snow in Africa This Christmas-I don't think that's what it's called, but you probably know what I'm talking about.

I really can't think of a 5th that I dislike......

1995-All-Star Music
2001-All-Star Sports
2008-(offsite)
2011-All-Star Movies
Dec. 2012-All-Star Music
Sept. 2013-All-Star Music
Coming soon: Sept. 2014-All-Star Music

Check out my PTR: "And Your Wish Will Come True...a September 2014 PTR"
Howgreat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: