Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
AintGonaGrowUp
Mouseketeer

Filling in chips in glass

Alright, I have a very large glass jar that I use for change (Disney honeymoon!). In a recent move, the rim of the jar was chipped. I don't want to get rid of the jar, I just want to fill in the chip. It doesn't have to be pretty, just not sharp any more. Dose any one know of a filler or epoxy that would work??

Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas
AintGonaGrowUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
Robbi
DIS Veteran

No advice about the crack. Be careful with the jar though. My cousin and his family saved coins in a large jar. When he lifted it, the bottom fell out and sliced his foot almost in half. The doctors were able to sew it back together but the tendons and muscles have not functioned as well.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintGonaGrowUp View Post
Alright, I have a very large glass jar that I use for change (Disney honeymoon!). In a recent move, the rim of the jar was chipped. I don't want to get rid of the jar, I just want to fill in the chip. It doesn't have to be pretty, just not sharp any more. Dose any one know of a filler or epoxy that would work??
You can just go to Home Depot, in the grout department, they have a smooth white stone, about the size of bar of soap, maybe smaller, that will smooth the edge of glass. They use this bar to smooth the edges of the ceramic tiles before grouting. It works on glass too.

Here is a link for the smoothing stone I was talking about:

http://www.axner.com/aloxite-rubbing...rge-block.aspx

Or, if you can find or order this little one for $5, this works great. It is the one I use on my handmade pottery after they come out of the kiln and the glazed edges, (which are just colored glass) are too sharp.

http://www.axner.com/aloxite-rubbing-stone-bar.aspx

An alternative is you can get some kind of Silicone Carbide sanding bit for a Dremel tool or drill and just hold the bit in your hand and hand smooth the sharp edges down. You don't need the whole tool, just the bit. The back of the packages will say if you can use it on glass.

A friend suggested aluminum oxide sand paper. Fold it a few times to make sure the sharp edges of the glass don't poke through the sand paper and end up cutting you.

And as the PP said, be careful with the jar now. You do not know if that crack has damaged the integrity of the whole jar. Another whack could break the whole thing.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: