Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #151
InspiredbyMadi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mieuxmew View Post
Newbie runner (or should I say runner wanna be). I am 43 years old and needed some SERIOUS motivation to get in shape, so I signed up for the Glass Slipper Challenge. Between the cost of the entry fee and plane tickets, there is NO backing out now

I started running/walking 3 months ago. I still can't run more than a half mile continuously, but I am training with walk/run intervals of 4-5 miles 3-5 times per week. I have put over 200 miles on my sneakers since mid-June.

I entered a local 10K yesterday to submit a time to Run Disney. I finished 2nd to LAST!!! Guess it beats never starting. My time was 1:15 with a 12 min/mile average. I was satisfied with my time until I saw my name near the very bottom of the list. How do these people run so far so fast?!?!? The top female runner finished in 40 minutes! It is discouraging. Guess I just have to keep on going and hit the pavement tomorrow. I've got a lot of training to do.

Best wishes to all of my fellow princesses in training!
Welcome to the thread! We have a great group around here. Congrats to you on all your progress! Don't be discouraged on finishing second to last, the key is that you finished. Give yourself a pat on the back for that, great job! Your average time is admirable, I'm not quite there yet "full time".

Are you starting the Galloway training program this week for the half?

Last edited by InspiredbyMadi; 09-29-2013 at 03:42 PM.
InspiredbyMadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:13 PM   #152
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Newbie runner (or should I say runner wanna be). I am 43 years old and needed some SERIOUS motivation to get in shape, so I signed up for the Glass Slipper Challenge. Between the cost of the entry fee and plane tickets, there is NO backing out now

I started running/walking 3 months ago. I still can't run more than a half mile continuously, but I am training with walk/run intervals of 4-5 miles 3-5 times per week. I have put over 200 miles on my sneakers since mid-June.

I entered a local 10K yesterday to submit a time to Run Disney. I finished 2nd to LAST!!! Guess it beats never starting. My time was 1:15 with a 12 min/mile average. I was satisfied with my time until I saw my name near the very bottom of the list. How do these people run so far so fast?!?!? The top female runner finished in 40 minutes! It is discouraging. Guess I just have to keep on going and hit the pavement tomorrow. I've got a lot of training to do.

Congrats....that's a very respectable time! Must have been a fast crew out there. Don't get discouraged; you are doing great.

Maura
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #153
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredbyMadi View Post
I'm ready and willing to join you in Shredding! Your weight loss is motivating to me. I have lost 33 pounds to date but my loss has slowed greatly within the last two weeks due to stress and not eating on plan each day.

I'm happy to be back and 100% ready to get this ball rolling.

Unfortunately, I work an odd schedule -- 3 12-hour shifts (and alternating weekends) at the hospital with no rhyme or reason to it other than never working three shifts in a row. I did sit down with pen and paper and try to configure a sound schedule to go hand in hand with the training program but it's hit or miss some weeks.

For the next three weeks, I will run the following days:

Monday, 9/30 -- Wednesday, 10/3 -- Friday, 10/5

Monday, 10/7 -- Wednesday, 10/9 -- Saturday, 10/12

Tuesday, 10/15 -- Wednesday, 10/16 -- Friday, 10/18

I will Shred in the morning before work between running days. I'm starting to think I'm borderline nuts but I need to do this.

Oh yes, and somewhere in all of that, I'll also be studying my butt off for my entrance exam to nursing school on 10/21.

I've got this though! Day 1 of Shredding: 10/1...let's stick together.
OK, 30 day shred tomorrow. I still need to run tonight, I did nothing but errands today. I do need to figure out how to shred while on vacation. DH and I are going to Food and Wine from the 10th to the 14th. I may just have to run those days.

I'm glad my weight loss is motivating someone, it feels so dang slow to me. I was in a major stall for 3 months so it's nice to see the scale moving in the right direction, but it's still just pound at a time.

You will kick butt on the test!!! The good thing about working out, especially the running, is it really helps you clear your mind. You will do amazing!

Quote:

Welcome aboard!! Glad you can join us!
You did awesome in your 10k!! Way better than I would have done.
I ran a 5K for my kids school in March, I came in dead last at 40 minutes.
While it felt crappy seeing my name last, I felt great because I lapped everyone still on the couch.
You can't worry about what other people are running, that will just mess with your head. It doesn't matter if you finish first or last, you both still ran the same course and won the same medal, and felt the same accomplishment.

Oh and 200 miles is awesome!! Make sure you get new sneaks at around 300-400 miles. Keep those legs and feet healthy!!
Old 10-28-2013, 07:58 AM   #154
InspiredbyMadi
Mouseketeer

Hey everyone! I have returned to this thread with my tail tucked...

I haven't been able to stick around the boards OR run in about a month. I had the opportunity arise in late September to make a break for it and apply for nursing school. Along with that came a beast of an entrance exam which put me out of commission for the first three weeks of October. I was studying every spare moment and unfortunately anything extra had to take the back burner. I feel so out of the loop.

The great news is my advisor called me on October 24th (my 28th birthday!) to let me know I've been accepted! I will start nursing school some time next year. This has been a dream in the making for about seven years now but life happened and things got delayed a bit.

Now that the dust has settled, I'm feeling incredibly behind on my training progress. My eating habits suffered a bit and I have not been able to run in a few weeks. Last night I contemplated dropping out all together for fear I won't be able to make up for the lost time but I woke up this morning with a new attitude. I admit, I don't really know where to begin from here. Do I start the Galloway program from the first week? Do I skip out on a few of the three mile weeks and just do what I can? I'm totally lost. I've been set back four weeks.

I was supposed to work today but ended up getting an unexpected day off due to low patient census. I've taken this as a sign to use this beautiful, cool morning to go for a run...so off I go!

Just wanted to pop in and say hello. I'm sorry I've been out of the loop for a bit. I've been thinking of you all and hope all is going well. Please update me on your progress. If anyone has any wise words of advice for me on where to start from here, I appreciate it. For now, I'm going to aim for three miles this morning because I know that's well within my comfort zone.

I'll be back to update. I promise!

~Kelly

Last edited by InspiredbyMadi; 10-28-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #155
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Congrats on your acceptance to nursing school!

As for your training, I am not a Galloway follower, so I don't know what to tell you. If I had needed to take 3 weeks off from my training plan, I would probably pick it up at the place I left off and then maybe make an adjustment along the way to get in the final long distance, and skip one of the taper weeks.

Just don't give up!
Old 11-13-2013, 12:17 AM   #156
BernardandMissBianca
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Checking in

How is everyone doing?
I joined Planet Fitness this week. 2 friends joined with me which is helping to stay motivated. I am dreading the longer runs on the treadmill, I may do those at home or outside. I'm also dreading the cold. We had snow today, not much but enough to annoy me.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:40 AM   #157
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

When I have had to do long runs on a TM--thankfully, not very often--I break up the monotony by switching TM (which obviously only works if I'm at the gym!) I would do 5 miles on one TM. This is my "fuel stop", so I have a gel and switch. I once did 15 miles this way, and it really did help.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #158
BernardandMissBianca
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasgat View Post
When I have had to do long runs on a TM--thankfully, not very often--I break up the monotony by switching TM (which obviously only works if I'm at the gym!) I would do 5 miles on one TM. This is my "fuel stop", so I have a gel and switch. I once did 15 miles this way, and it really did help.
Thanks for the tip. We have probably 40 treadmills so I should have a choice.
I don't want to do to many runs on the treadmill but I'm still hammering out my choices of winter clothes so I haven't been outside much.

I also plan on bringing my iPad. I have found that the distraction of a tv show and being at the gym seems to make the time go faster.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #159
InspiredbyMadi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
Thanks for the tip. We have probably 40 treadmills so I should have a choice.
I don't want to do to many runs on the treadmill but I'm still hammering out my choices of winter clothes so I haven't been outside much.

I also plan on bringing my iPad. I have found that the distraction of a tv show and being at the gym seems to make the time go faster.
I definitely agree! I've tried TM running a few times and although I tough it out, I really don't care for it much. At home, I've placed a slender bulletin board across the handle bars and that's where my iPad or laptop go.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #160
BernardandMissBianca
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Did my first longer run on the treadmill this week. 5.5 miles. I was so ticked because the PF treadmill automatically timed out a 1 hour. I snapped a quick pic of my stats and restarted the machine. I had another 15 minutes to go.

I'm getting a little frustrated because I can't seem to get down past a 15 mm. This does not leave me a lot of wiggle room. I know I will be faster during the race but not a lot faster. I'm pretty confident that I can maintain the 15 mm for the whole 1/2, I think my problem will be mental. Being out there for so long is going to be taxing on me mentally.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #161
BernardandMissBianca
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Did my 6.5 on my treadmill at home today. Much better than last week. I maintained a 13:36 pace. Much better in terms of wiggle room. Mentally I felt a little better too.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #162
laura428
DIS Veteran

Hello fellow Princesses! I'm just checking in after a long hiatus.

I'm doing ok at this point, but getting a little nervous about longer distances I'm looking to tackle in my long runs over the next seven weeks. I missed a whole month of training due to an insane schedule, but am nearly back on track at this point. I ran a Galloway MM on Sunday and came up with an 11:27 minute mile that estimated just over a 3 hour finish time for the race. Not where I'd like to be - I'd prefer a bit more wiggle room for bathroom breaks - but I'll take it for now. I've been a mile shy of my long runs since the month break - ran 7 my last long run two Sundays ago. If I try to get back on track this coming Sunday, I'd have to run 9.5 - thinking about shooting for 8.5 and seeing how I feel.

Anyway, I hope you guys are doing wonderfully well. Btw, when are you guys getting into Orlando?
2014 Princess Half Marathon
laura428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:24 PM   #163
InspiredbyMadi
Mouseketeer

Talking I did it!

Hello Princesses!

Just checking in with everyone to see how this weekend went for you all...

I saw Laura updated on the PHM thread. Congrats to you! I'm so proud of all of us!

Here is my recap:

I'll be honest, in January, I contemplated dropping out due to more family emergencies (SIL critical in ICU again after her intestines ruptured) and general road bumps and fear. It felt like the last several months of training went out the window for me and I started to stress my pace and the distance involved. But, I found my inner strength and reminded myself that I started this as a commitment to myself and quitting was not an option.

Instead, I busted my butt and made a "no excuses" rule. I had less than two months to go and NO time to spare! I figured if I tried and didn't finish, I'd be better off than not trying at all...so try it was. I had the perfect inspiration (my SIL) and the determination to go along with it. So, I created an 8-week training schedule and stuck to it.

We arrived in Orlando on Friday and hit the Expo. We picked up my daughter's race packet (200m dash) even though I knew she most likely wouldn't run due to walking pneumonia. Poor girl couldn't make it up and down the stairs at the villa without a coughing fit so we had her lay low and relax for much of the weekend.

We had a family day out for lunch and an Ikea shopping spree on Saturday. We were back in our villa at 8PM and I started preparing my necessities for the run. I was in bed later than I planned and only managed about two hours of solid sleep. Nerves kept me up and at one point I remember getting frustrated with myself over it. LOL

I had butterflies to the point of nausea on the morning of. My bladder was in overdrive and my sciatic nerve was sending jolts of pain down my right leg. I irritated it on my last long run during training and had to see my chiropractor on Thursday for an adjustment. I seriously started to worry at that point...

My friend and I met a lovely woman in our corral who had a similar pace. We shared training stories, talked about the weather, and our jitters and worries, and overall got to know each other while we waited to start. Chatting seemed to help us all calm down and realize we were there for the challenge, the experience, and the moment...why stress?

Once we started, a sense of peace fell over me and I literally hit the ground running. By the time I made it into MK, my sciatic pain disappeared. It was overall pretty smooth and uneventful for me. I skipped character lines because I wasn't willing to lose time.

Around mile 8 I wanted to throw in the towel due to incredible pain in the arches of my feet. It was a pain I've never felt before. I decided to take some time for a bathroom break and to stretch and off I went to finish my journey. Just before mile 10, someone started yelling to us about having only four minutes to get to the bridge. There were several sweep buses parked on the sides of the road so everyone hauled butt. Then, someone informed us that it wasn't four minutes until a sweep, it was four minutes until the character at the bridge went on break. Needless to say, I was thankful for that adrenaline rush.

Miles 11 and 12 seemed never ending but I was in the home stretch at that point and nothing was going to stop me...not even the balloon ladies on my rear as I approached the finish line. I ran for dear life and I FINISHED!

Overall, it was one of the hardest things I've done in my life but I walked away believing in myself all the more. I'm so so so thankful I decided to stay in the game and allow myself the chance to try.

And best of all? Not only did I finish my first half-marathon but my SIL got to go home after several weeks in the hospital. What a memorable day for my family!

I'm already planning on next year's PHM. I want to challenge myself even more and continue on with running. I really enjoy it and it's keeping me motivated to continue on with my weight loss. I plan on submitting a time for better corral placement. That will be my goal.

During the drive home this morning, my husband said he'd like to start running too. We are going to participate in some local 5Ks in the next few months. He says he can't even begin to think of a half...but maybe one day.

I know this got long but before I end this post, I'd like to thank each and every one of you on this thread. You have all encouraged me from the very beginning and I appreciate the support. I hope to hear back about your weekend and I look forward to what's to come!
Old 02-24-2014, 08:40 PM   #164
BernardandMissBianca
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

I'm so happy you finished and SIL is home, that is great news!!

I had so much fun. I will post more after I gather my thoughts. I want to get it all down on paper first.
I have thoughts and ideas for next year and recommendations of things to do and not do for any newbies that see this.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:41 AM   #165
laura428
DIS Veteran

Hey there! Congrats on finishing the PHM - that's wonderful! I've missed seeing your posts and am so glad you decided to run.

It was an amazing experience for me. As I was just discussing with a coworker, I expected the physical benefits, but my biggest gift was the mental toughness that miles 10 and 11 took to get through. Accomplishing that, and then the elation of seeing mile marker 12 and joyously running that last 1.1 - I'll never ever forget it.
2014 Princess Half Marathon
laura428 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: