Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #46
mhnewcomb
Mouseketeer

We were there in October, and we highly recommend the Wolfgang Puck Dining Room (DTD Westside) for signature dining. It was FABULOUS, from the food to the atmosphere to the service. That place doesn't get much attention on these boards--hard to find a review of any kind, really--but we just can't wait to go back and try other things from the menu.

You all have me wanting to go to Paul's next time...sounds really great!

mhnewcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #47
metzgardesign
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkly View Post
Not really. I haven't eaten in a TS place there, but CS at Universal is worse then Disney- only seemed to be chicken fingers,hamburgers,pizza. I got a chicken burger from one place in IOA and it was lukewarm because they put it under a heatlamp. And it tasted of oil, not very nice at all.
I wasn't really referring to the CS joints (as we really don't do those often....except for breakfast sometimes), but rather TS. But Three Broomsticks breakfast stomped any food court breakfast at WDW we had (and do remember, this is based on our experiences....your food court/CS mileage may vary).

WDW has it's fair share of crappy burgers and nuggets as well, for sure. But if you prefer those, absolutely nothing wrong with that. World Showcase in EPCoT does have some good walk-ups. And it did have some good options at the F&W fest last year.

Last edited by metzgardesign; 11-29-2013 at 10:12 AM.
metzgardesign is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-29-2013, 10:33 AM   #48
Imhere
Mouseketeer

As with everything at Disney it's all about expectations.

If you stay at a Disney Deluxe you are better off not expecting an experience like you would get at a $600/night room anywhere else, because you will probably be disappointed.

Dining at Disney restaurants is the same, don't expect that $300 dinner to be the quality of a $300 dinner you would get anywhere else in the world.

I will say that Narcoossee's is one of my favorite Disney restaurants. Notice the qualifier that it is one of my favorite "DISNEY RESTAURANTS." I eat there on every trip and I wouldn't miss it.

If, however, Narcoossee's were in my hometown it would likely be a 'once and done' type place. I can experience far better dining for a fraction of the cost when off Disney property.

When in Rome.........
Imhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #49
metzgardesign
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imhere View Post

If you stay at a Disney Deluxe you are better off not expecting an experience like you would get at a $600/night room anywhere else, because you will probably be disappointed.

Dining at Disney restaurants is the same, don't expect that $300 dinner to be the quality of a $300 dinner you would get anywhere else in the world.

I will say that Narcoossee's is one of my favorite Disney restaurants. Notice the qualifier that it is one of my favorite "DISNEY RESTAURANTS." I eat there on every trip and I wouldn't miss it.

If, however, Narcoossee's were in my hometown it would likely be a 'once and done' type place. I can experience far better dining for a fraction of the cost when off Disney property.

When in Rome.........
See.....that's what I see as the problem. It used to be (for us, anyhow) that WDW restaurants were better in quality and actually something to look forward to on our trips.

It's sad when when one qualifies lower expectations based on it being at WDW. When, in reality, it could be the opposite.....one could have higher expectation based on it being WDW.
metzgardesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #50
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imhere View Post

When in Rome.........
I agree with this. Which is why we have switched to QS or Signature. No more regular table service. The regular table service, on the whole, tastes pretty much the same as the QS. So why pay so for much more for it. Regular TS is the worst value IMO.

We've found that the Signatures offer food similar to what we would consider a good restaurant around here, but at twice or three times the price. But we will eat there to break up the QS meals while we are there.

(all just my two cents of course )
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:34 AM   #51
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

The Empress Room on the Empress Lily was good, fine dining. But EXTREMELY expensive for its day. Well over $100 per person back in the 1990s. I was never particularly impressed with California Grill, but I really enjoyed Top of the World.

That said, I do still enjoy several restaurants at WDW, but my dining preference has changed to a more casual experience. I do like Les Chefs De France, Olivia's at OKW and I tried the restaurant at Splitsville this last trip, and thought it was good. Hollywood Brown Derby is good, and a nice upscale experience, but still what I would call more like casual dining. I always enjoy my meals there.

I will agree that overall the quality of Disney table service has gone down...but I think of lot of that has to do with society as a whole. People on vacation no longer seem to want to take the time to enjoy a fancy meal...get in, eat, get back out to the park. And the all-inclusive pre-paid way of vacationing has gained in popularity, even though most all-inclusive locations wind up costing more than it would to simply pay out-of-pocket. That all-inclusive mindset, for some reason, seems to carry an expectation of quantity of food vs. quality of food.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992

Last edited by Chuck S; 11-29-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #52
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I had a rotten experience at Mythos awhile back, so they are not immune. It was rotten enough that I haven't been back.

I go to the resorts at Universal if I want to eat there.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #53
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

I think the problem with Disney dining is they cater to more and more people every year and now with the dining plan they are working on fixed budgets as well. The quality has definitely suffered. We also tend to do mostly Signatures now then eat offsite for the rest
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #54
Jenny Sanders
DIS Veteran

I have had nothing but excellent service at Narcoossees, dining there again in March.
Jenny Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: