Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2013, 06:39 AM   #151
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

I live in Celebration, Fl and the school is very strict here. I've noticed throughout Florida, it can vary and a lot of it is up to how strict the school wants to be.

In our case, we notified the school in writing. The principal declined it and I told her we would be going regardless. I am in the camp that doesn't like to be told what to do with my child. And I know that schools can decide on a case by case basis. His teacher told me the principal never approves vacation for anyone. I can somewhat understand. I volunteer and there are kids that miss school a lot with no note, kids that are behind, etc. So I can see the flip side. But we cause no problems.

When we got back, I got a letter about the missed days and a threat of truancy to which I responded back rather bluntly. He is advanced, rarely misses school, never gets in trouble, I do my volunteer work, etc. (and I would have had no problems defending my actions and have another vacation planned next grade). Not to mention, I told them several times where and what he would be doing! After that, they dropped it.

I will also say that I was prepared to homeschool if they fought me on it. Before we moved here, he was in a bad school and I pulled him out and did the virtual school. That program is wonderful and it's still public school. So when we moved, he was able to jump right back into it and not be behind. The only reason I didn't continue is that he likes being around other kids and having friends in school. Plus if I work we get more vacations (lol). But if I had to do homeschool again, I would.

And one last thing, his teacher was fantastic. She had no decision in the denial part. I didn't expect her to put a packet together for my son, but she did. She also told me not worry about him missing anything because he has no problems in that department at all. She just wanted him to have fun. So I was very grateful to her for being so good about it.

I don't think school absences are a black and white issue. And I don't mind their current policies, as long as they can keep deciding case by case. I do think this country (US) does not give enough vacation allowances for most people (children and adults). We've lost sight of the importance of spending family time together. I'm just grateful that I have the option of virtual school if I needed to. Not everyone could do that if they relied on two incomes. Or if they were getting fined like the UK is doing now (that is ridiculous).
Old 11-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #152
PaceFamily
Wife and Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slzer0 View Post
If I am pulled over while operating within the constraints of the law, you bet that'll be the FIRST thing I say. I'm not afraid to speak up for my rights, as a parent, or otherwise.
Agreed, as am I. However, when the laws/rules are not in your favor in this case... You see people responding everywhere that this is an action that is against the laws on the books. You do not get to choose to ignore laws because they are not what you want. Again, please show me where your school district allows family vacation as an excused absence. If you do not like the laws, run for office and change them. Laws are black and white. When they begin creating gray areas things go wrong in a big way. Just look at the state of things in the US.

Fact is that no matter what facts are provided or what people tell you, you will do what you want. As one poster stated, her leave was denied but she still went. Fine for her. If you can make it work then good for you and your kids. If not then take your chances. Mot my job to turn you in.

As for the comment about the discussion, I could not agree more. Lively discussion (especially when they do not turn to nasty personal attacks) are always fun and entertaining for all. They allow individuals to share thoughts and conversations. Thanks to places like the DIS we are able to have this great place to share.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Disney Dream June 2011
WDW June 2010

PaceFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-27-2013, 07:42 AM   #153
4 The Love Of Disney
Pro-Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceFamily View Post
If you do not like the laws, run for office and change them.
Exactly!

Watch out Mickey, here we come!

2014 - Disney Fantasy and POR
2013 - Disney Dream, POR & runDisney weekend
2011 - POR, Disney Dream, Boardwalk Inn
2010 - POR
2009 - All Star Movies - Toy Story bldg
2008 - All Star Music, All Star Sports, All Star Movies
2006 - Animal Kingdom
2005 - Offsite
4 The Love Of Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #154
TCrawford095
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmom View Post
Well of course they have extra work to do, a school day is 6 hours long, a typical work day in the private sector is 8 1/2 hours minimum, with roughly 3 weeks vacation per year. I would expect teachers to have 2 1/2 hours of prep and planning outside of the 6 hour work day to get up to a full days work.
I have to be ready for my students to come in the room at 7:50. My last student leaves, on average, around 3:45. I get no scheduled breaks during the day. My lunch is a working lunch, and my planning period is usually filled with meetings. On an average day, I leave around 6pm. I'm not complaining. I understand that this is the job I signed up for, and I'm ok with that. I just want correct the poster that we have more than a 6 hour work day.
TCrawford095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #155
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCrawford095 View Post
I have to be ready for my students to come in the room at 7:50. My last student leaves, on average, around 3:45. I get no scheduled breaks during the day. My lunch is a working lunch, and my planning period is usually filled with meetings. On an average day, I leave around 6pm. I'm not complaining. I understand that this is the job I signed up for, and I'm ok with that. I just want correct the poster that we have more than a 6 hour work day.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #156
TCrawford095
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Yes there is one way to solve the question for a standardized test. But the same answer can be arrived at in many ways as a LIFE SKILL.
Not everyone thinks of learning in terms of standardized testing.
I think in multiple terms when it comes to student learning. If I didn't, parents would come to me at the end of the year and complain that I didn't prepare the students for the test. Believe me, I hate and resent the fact that we put so much emphasis on high stakes testing, but I didn't create the system. I just have to play by its rules.

Just to provide you with a little perspective on why teachers ask students to complete a problem a certain way. I get this question from time to time. Take for example the equation: x+2=6. Pretty simple, right? Any 1st grader can look at the problem and tell you the answer is 4. However, I make my students subtract 2 from both sides of the equation in order to obtain the answer. Why do I do that? Because I have to teach them the skills needed to solve harder problems. You can do x+2=6 in your head, but it is much more difficult to solve 2x+6+3x-3/4+5x-1/4=25 in your head. (That's a middle school problem, btw). Students need to learn simpler problems a certain way so that they have the problem attack skills to learn the harder problems. It's the same way with the graphing problem I proposed earlier. Those graphs do not get easier to draw and interpret in high school-- even if you can find another way to solve them in middle school.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #157
TCrawford095
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bats View Post
Here in the UK you can get fined for taking your child out if school. It's a different cost for where you live, but where I am, it's £100 ($160) per parent per day of the absence.

The cost of holidays, especially package holidays to Europe are astronomical during the main summer break (late July to early Sept) and also during our half terms (Feb and Oct) and Easter. Prices outside of these times are about half so I see why people remove their children.

Our Government says it values families with the traditional 2 parent household, but it then fines both parents for unauthorised absences. A single parent would get just one fine.

There has to be middle ground for this ... Like some have said, they can't get time off during holidays due to their own job .. Do we say those people shouldn't have a holiday? Thought needs to go into this as there is no right or wrong ... Just what each person thinks.

I have no children of my own, but I have grandchildren through my hubby to be. They are being taken out of school for our wedding on the WBTA next year. Luckily they will be 5 and 9 so no exams being done at that time. It's not perfect and they'll need to catch up, but they will. They've never flown before, never been on a ship and only the older one has ever been on a holiday .... They are going to build some magical memories to tell their teachers.
Wow that's awful! I think everyone should think carefully before missing school, but fines? And double if you're married? That's just not fair.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #158
cjbcam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCrawford095 View Post

I don't even know how that's possible. I have a teaching degree (don't teach because chose to use degree for something else), my uncle teaches, my BIL teaches, my sister teaches. I know when I did my interning most teachers stayed till maybe half an hour after the bell. So they work 8 till 4 at most with lunch break and prep hour. When I was on Mat leave I babysat for my sister and BIL they would drop baby off at 7:30 and were never later than 4:30. Unless they were coaching. It's those marvelous teachers that spend all those hours coaching that would work more than those seven hours, I include prep hour as work but not lunch because that's not working. I agree most people think teachers don't deserve the pay or holidays or whatever but to those people I say if it is so easy and you think they make too much money then why aren't you a teacher. But on the other hand teachers can't pretend they've worked the the same amount of hours each year that a person who's not a teacher does. Call a spade a spade.
cjbcam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #159
TheLanes
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbcam View Post
I don't even know how that's possible. I have a teaching degree (don't teach because chose to use degree for something else), my uncle teaches, my BIL teaches, my sister teaches. I know when I did my interning most teachers stayed till maybe half an hour after the bell. So they work 8 till 4 at most with lunch break and prep hour. When I was on Mat leave I babysat for my sister and BIL they would drop baby off at 7:30 and were never later than 4:30. Unless they were coaching. It's those marvelous teachers that spend all those hours coaching that would work more than those seven hours, I include prep hour as work but not lunch because that's not working. I agree most people think teachers don't deserve the pay or holidays or whatever but to those people I say if it is so easy and you think they make too much money then why aren't you a teacher. But on the other hand teachers can't pretend they've worked the the same amount of hours each year that a person who's not a teacher does. Call a spade a spade.
That's ridiculous! Teachers are so underpaid for what they do! (I'm not a teacher to clarify).

Most people probably agree with me!

Good teachers spend time at home grading and prepping. Lousy teachers shirk all that. Just like regular workers, there are good and bad ones.

March 2007 - 11 night Mex Riviera- Celebrity Mercury
April 2009 - 3 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
April 2010 - 4 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
Feb 2012 - 7 night Mexican Riviera - Disney Wonder

Coming up: Oct 2015 - 5 night Baja Mexico - Disney Wonder

Disneyland: Dozens and dozens of trips!
TheLanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #160
CruiseCrazy44
Mouseketeer

Quote:
NOT a personal attack on you, but this no textbook issue has been a pet peeve of mine as a parent for a long time! Non linear education makes it very difficult for students to follow along. Whether on vacation, or struggling in general, or simply trying to review concepts as concepts progress and build cumulatively. If a teacher chooses to teach without a textbook - an issue I find causes MANY problems for students! - then they should be responsible for providing work for a student who will be out.... Unlesd "no textbook" is an excuse to just make up curriculum as you go along? Of course not. Lesson plans are submitted ahead of time. College educators provide a syllabus. It is not unreasonable to expect this of teachers. In light of prepared lesson plans, teachers who act put upon by parents DARING to request the lessons early are quite frustrating. Copy and paste your lesson plan into an email and stop punishing, guilting, and intimidating your parents. Remember they pay your salary. You know, the one you receive during your 14 WEEK annual paid vacation. **And as an aside - anyone planning a DCL vacation would have no problem answering your question above. Simple budgeting lol. Maybe not on a graph, but then there is always more than one way to solve a problem.
Ok, remember, I homeschool, so I've opted out of all this drama. That being said, I'm also the child of two public school teachers and I take offense of you throwing a teacher's vacation I to this discussion. Most people have absolutely no idea how many hours a day good teachers ( not lazy, complacent ones of course) spend on their school work everyday. There was no day during the week that my parents did not spend a minimum of ten hours a day on their school work, teaching, planning, grading papers, talking with parents, going to school board meetings and parent/teacher organizations. There were no weekends during the school year that they did not work on school work. You know how some people listen to the sound of the beach to go to sleep? I like the sound of a typewriter. Since that was the sound I went to bed to every night. Now, add in that teachers are now only allowed to teach to that blasted test, they are paid lower than just about any other career that requires a college degree and that they have to put up with both sides of the parenting pendulum from parents that are never satisfied that you are doing enough for their special wonder child, to the parents that can't be bothered to answer emails or come to parent conferences, I say that those weeks of vacation are not only earned but necessary for the sanity of said teachers!
Teachers are disrespected and minimized in our culture. That said, and bile purged, some of the teachers posting on here do not acknowledge the rights of parents. They also seem to ignore the shortcomings of the current public school system.
CruiseCrazy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:06 PM   #161
cjbcam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLanes View Post

That's ridiculous! Teachers are so underpaid for what they do! (I'm not a teacher to clarify).

Most people probably agree with me!

Good teachers spend time at home grading and prepping. Lousy teachers shirk all that. Just like regular workers, there are good and bad ones.
I also agree that teachers are underpaid. I did not say that's what I think you must not have read my whole post.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #162
TCrawford095
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I agree, I don't work as many total hours during the year as my husband in the private sector. However, I get paid less than half of what he does, and that's with 3 advanced degrees. I could certainly make more money in the private sector, but I am happy with the choice I have made. It's all a trade off. My pay/vacation time really doesn't have anything to do with the discussion at hand. It just becomes an excuse for an attitude of disrespect for teachers.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #163
natmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I see you are from Canada, so am I. At DD's school the parking lot is empty until 8:15 (school starts at 8:40) and by 3:30 (school ends at 3) the parking lot is empty again. One of the teachers from the school lives on my street and I see her home regularly during the school day . I'm not saying they don't do work after school hours, but they don't work 8 hrs at the school in my school board. I believe teachers in Canada make a better salary than in the US. Teachers are paid quite well and have an amazing pension, plus lots of holidays. My son's grade 8 teacher took a week long vacation to Vegas in October lol, so no work was done while she was gone.

Last edited by natmom; 11-27-2013 at 12:54 PM.
natmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #164
cjbcam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmom View Post

I see you are from Canada, so am I. At DD's school the parking lot is empty until 8:15 (school starts at 8:40) and by 3:30 (school ends at 3) the parking lot is empty again. One of the teachers from the school lives on my street and I see her home regularly during the school day . I'm not saying they don't do work after school hours, but they don't work 8 hrs at the school in my school board. I believe teachers in Canada make a better salary than in the US. Teachers are paid quite well and have an amazing pension, plus lots of holidays. My son's grade 8 teacher took a week long vacation to Vegas in October lol, so no work was done while she was gone.
Agree... One of my best friends taught in a small town in ND and was making around 20 thousand? Crazy! Mind you that was 15 yrs ago. And her first year but that's still sickening. I do think they are paid ok here but not down there. But no matter. Back to the topic ... I think people should be able to take their own kids out for vacations.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #165
natmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Agree... One of my best friends taught in a small town in ND and was making around 20 thousand? Crazy! Mind you that was 15 yrs ago. And her first year but that's still sickening. I do think they are paid ok here but not down there. But no matter. Back to the topic ... I think people should be able to take their own kids out for vacations.
Yes, topic has totally snowballed lol.
natmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: