Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2013, 12:10 AM   #1
ReganlovesWDW
Earning My Ears

Done with Disney dining

I have been visiting Disney since 1979 and each time time we have enjoyed dining at Disney restaurants whether they be at resorts or in the parks. Over the last 4 years we have exclusively enjoyed signature dining. This most recent stay, last week, we dined at Narccoose's and California Grill and the remainder of our meals were between the Swan and Dolphin restaurants.

Sadly, we found that Narccoose's was a glorified quick service restaurant. We were sat at 8:00pm and received our check at 9:00. It was extremely loud in the restaurant and it seemed as though more tables had been inserted than previously. The food was subpar for the cost. The topper was while waiting for our check to be processed, Wishes began and there was a rush of people to the surrounding deck. Not people from the restaurant but people coming in who were not dining at the restaurant. For $200+ dollars, I would prefer that the restaurant would limit the deck viewing to those dining there rather than diners such as I enjoying the view losing it entirely.

The next evening we had a fabulous view of Cinderella's castle from California Grill. While the remodel decor was amazing, the food was a disappointment. I had the filet which was tough (medium rare) and gristly while my husband had the braised short ribs that were entirely to tough. The wine list while large is much higher in cost than other property restaurants. We were hard pressed to find a selection under $100 for a bottle if wine. Walter, our server, was engaging but actually sat down at our table for a period of time to talk about his stressors with his family. It was a little surprising.

We enjoyed Bluezoo which we found to be sophisticated and offered fabulous food and service for a cost that was significantly less ($75) for two people. Their wine list was great and reasonable while the atmosphere was romantic and welcoming.

By far, our best meals were at Shulua's at the Dolphin. Our first night, our server, Joe was outstanding! Engaging yet gave us space to enjoy our celebration. The food was amazing! The cost was $50 less than Narccoosse and by far the best restaurant on property. Additionally, if you join the Diner Loyalty program and enjoy the restaurants on Swan and Dolphin property, you earn points for every dollar spent. Thus, we dined at Shula's again with a $100 gift certificate that was redeemed readily by the manager, Ariel, in a most gracious manner.

From here on out, we will no longer partake of Disney dining because it is not the experience it once was. Gone are the days of Empress Lily fine dining or Top of the World. While I enjoy all the other aspects of Disney, I choose to spend my dining dollars elsewhere where I am served well rather than pushed through the restaurant.
ReganlovesWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #2
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Sorry about CG and Narloosees--

To only add that we always do Blue Zoo and Shulas each trip.

But always felt they were MORE $$ than their Disney counterparts--

BUt maybe thats because of what we order(?)
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Empress Lilly and Top of the World are reaching waaay back...I think those were both gone well before 2000.

I do hear much more like this - and I agree that the Swan and Dolphin have the highest quality restaurants on WDW property (excepting maybe Victoria & Albert's). Does this have anything to do with them not being owned by Disney? probably. Haven't tried Shula's though, because I am not a steak fan.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReganlovesWDW View Post
, I choose to spend my dining dollars elsewhere where I am served well rather than pushed through the restaurant.
I agree, we love Blue Zoo, Il Mulino, etc. and though they can be more costly than some of the Disney TS restaurants (and not by that much) at least you can count on the quality of both the food and the whole dining experience.

I haven't tried the Cali Grill yet since it's refurb, I guess we'll see in Feb,

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

I'm sorry to hear that you are completely writing off every WDW restaurant because of your experiences at 2 of them.

While I agree that the Swolfin restaurants are excellent, I would never have ascribed that description to either CG or Narcoossees. They rank right at the bottom of the Disney signatures for us, and always have. IMO there are far better Disney restaurants than those 2.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
MiramarQE
Mouseketeer

As another frequent, long-time Disney Guest I can sympathize:
Quote:
Gone are the days of Empress Lily fine dining or Top of the World.
(don't think anything at the current WDW will ever top Sunday Brunch at the Top of the World - or the "atmosphere" in Captain Cook's Hideaway; thought the Papeete Bay Verandah was quite good in the 1980's too) I can say that food service both quick and sit-down at WDW runs in cycles - and we're nearly at the bottom of this downturn (I hope!).

Let's see if current management can get some attention on the problem and get the trend improving in the next year - sorry that doesn't help with your latest experience (or some of ours) - but we're not giving up yet.

There are still good experiences - and not TOO unreasonable with TIW - Artist Point was excellent, we had a VERY good experience at CG in Sep, good experience with Jiko last May.
MiramarQE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

Although we have not eaten at a lot of the TS restaurants, the reviews I read leads me to believe that they are way too inconsistent. It's obviously a management problem. They either are not paying (or caring) attention to detail or they are completely unaware of the problem.

Maybe enough people don't complain about bad food and service to get to the point where's it's worth their trouble. One review here said a much as they did not want "to create a scene". A discrete and reasoned word to the server or manager can easily turn a disaster into something acceptable. Although, the cost of a meal at CG should ensure that every diner's experience should be almost perfect.

As to the cost of wine, WDW is on the higher end of markups. Usually 3-4 times their wholesale cost. If you look hard enough there are a few that don't make you want to order a beer instead. I hat paying more for wine than the cost of the food.
Wilderness Lodge 2004
All Star Vacation Homes 2008
Wilderness Lodge & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012(November)
All Star Movies January 2013
Paradise Pier September 2013

Pittsburgh Dad says, "Mum and Gram are at Bingo tonight, so it's cereal for dinner. "
rwdavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
cheryllarsen
Mouseketeer

California Grill gave us excellent service and excellent overall dining experience.
cheryllarsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #9
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Aww. Walter is our favorite server at CG. Talking with him about both his family and ours was part of the charm for us. Sorry you didn't dig it.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #10
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryllarsen View Post
California Grill gave us excellent service and excellent overall dining experience.
Us too...both times we have eaten there.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #11
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Additionally, if you join the Diner Loyalty program and enjoy the restaurants on Swan and Dolphin property, you earn points for every dollar spent. Thus, we dined at Shula's again with a $100 gift certificate that was redeemed readily by the manager, Ariel, in a most gracious manner.
Thank you for mentioning that! We love Kimonos and Shula's in the Dolphin and I think we're staying there for NYE. I looked and you get a $20 cert for $250 spent and $75 for $500 spent so it's about a 8-15% back depending on how much you save up and unlike the TIW card it's free!
Old 11-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
catheren
DIS Veteran

I have been visiting Disney since 1979 and each time time we have enjoyed dining at Disney restaurants whether they be at resorts or in the parks. Over the last 4 years we have exclusively enjoyed signature dining. This most recent stay, last week, we dined at Narccoose's and California Grill and the remainder of our meals were between the Swan and Dolphin restaurants.

Sadly, we found that Narccoose's was a glorified quick service restaurant. We were sat at 8:00pm and received our check at 9:00. It was extremely loud in the restaurant and it seemed as though more tables had been inserted than previously. The food was subpar for the cost. The topper was while waiting for our check to be processed, Wishes began and there was a rush of people to the surrounding deck. Not people from the restaurant but people coming in who were not dining at the restaurant. For $200+ dollars, I would prefer that the restaurant would limit the deck viewing to those dining there rather than diners such as I enjoying the view losing it entirely.

The next evening we had a fabulous view of Cinderella's castle from California Grill. While the remodel decor was amazing, the food was a disappointment. I had the filet which was tough (medium rare) and gristly while my husband had the braised short ribs that were entirely to tough. The wine list while large is much higher in cost than other property restaurants. We were hard pressed to find a selection under $100 for a bottle if wine. Walter, our server, was engaging but actually sat down at our table for a period of time to talk about his stressors with his family. It was a little surprising.

We enjoyed Bluezoo which we found to be sophisticated and offered fabulous food and service for a cost that was significantly less ($75) for two people. Their wine list was great and reasonable while the atmosphere was romantic and welcoming.

Quote:
By far, our best meals were at Shulua's at the Dolphin. Our first night, our server, Joe was outstanding! Engaging yet gave us space to enjoy our celebration. The food was amazing! The cost was $50 less than Narccoosse and by far the best restaurant on property. Additionally, if you join the Diner Loyalty program and enjoy the restaurants on Swan and Dolphin property, you earn points for every dollar spent. Thus, we dined at Shula's again with a $100 gift certificate that was redeemed readily by the manager, Ariel, in a most gracious manner.

From here on out, we will no longer partake of Disney dining because it is not the experience it once was. Gone are the days of Empress Lily fine dining or Top of the World. While I enjoy all the other aspects of Disney, I choose to spend my dining dollars elsewhere where I am served well rather than pushed through the restaurant.
I totally agree! Since DDP came in, the restaurants quality, menu offerings, and service.... UGH! I remember when you could go to the YSH and have a Caesar salad made table side, and the Chateaubriand for 2 and they would carve table side. No MORE Disney dining for us, too!
catheren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #13
sookie
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry - all I could think when I read this thread was.....

First. World. Problems!!
sookie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #14
sookie
DIS Veteran

I think I should complain. My kid fell asleep in Jiko. Instead of making a real bed for him, they just brought him stuff and made him comfortable so he could sleep. The nerve...that was a signature! I think I shouldn't have tipped as well - and it was my birthday too. Tsk tsk.
sookie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #15
Pikezh638
DIS Veteran

I guess it is just me, but I rarely have anything to complain about when I go to Disney.

Sorry you had a bad experience though.

2010 (July) Pop Century (December) Pop Century
2011 (October) All Star Sports (December) Carribbean Beach
2012 (January) All Star Sports (May) Pop Century
2013 (January) Saratoga Springs Treehouse (October) Saratoga Springs (October) Port Orleans-Riverside
2014 (January) Fantasy Cruise (January) Art of Animation (January) Pop Century
2015 (May) Animal Kingdom Kidani (May) Magic Cruise (May) Beach Club
Pikezh638 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: