Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #16
alice99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPCummerbund View Post
OP, I haven't done this walk, but I'm going to be a contrarian here and say that maybe you should just try it. At worst, you have to turn around and go back to the Contemporary. It's a very low-risk situation.

I love walking, and I've read about several routes that sound "unwalkable" here on the boards, but when I look at them on Google Earth, they appear to work just fine. I think most people just don't try these walks, or aren't used to walking.

If you haven't used Google Earth, it's great for WDW. You can follow most roads and see them in "street view" as they actually are.

The part I was most concerned about is passing between Bay Lake and the Seven Seas Lagoon. The road actually goes under the water through a tunnel at that point - if there's a problem anywhere along that route, I figured it would be there. But I actually followed it in Google Earth, and there's an enormous, 10-foot wide sidewalk along the road there the entire time! Here's a Google Earth "Street View" photo from there:

The only problem is that the sidewalk ends a little bit AFTER the tunnel, and you'd just be walking /running along a 2-lane road for a while. However, it looks like the place Where the Sidewalk Ends is just opposite the Wilderness Lodge - it appears that you can just cross the two-lane road, walk through a few trees, and be in the WL parking lot - all within maybe 100 yards or less. From there, you'll find a path to Fort Wilderness.

Here's a photo of that spot:

You can see the place Where the Sidewalk Ends on the right. You'd have to cross the road here, and maybe walk through that hole in the trees to the WL - it looks like there's a break in the trees, a little bit to the left of the lamppost in the image. Otherwise, you'll have to keep walking along the side of the road until you get to the actual road entrance to WL.

I hope that explains it. Let me know if you try it!
Thanks so much for the great information. I will probably try it and if I am unsuccessful will turn back.
I am going to look at Google Earth and try to figure the distance from one to the other.
Seeing that break in the trees is very helpful, I know that is the "alternate", or back, entrance to the Wilderness lodge parking lot. My GPS has sometimes tried to send me in or out of the Wilderness Lodge, via this other entrance.

Today is the first day I've been able to come back online and see everyone's responses.

Thanks to all whom responded.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
alice99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #17
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice99 View Post
Thanks so much for the great information. I will probably try it and if I am unsuccessful will turn back.
I am going to look at Google Earth and try to figure the distance from one to the other.
Seeing that break in the trees is very helpful, I know that is the "alternate", or back, entrance to the Wilderness lodge parking lot. My GPS has sometimes tried to send me in or out of the Wilderness Lodge, via this other entrance.

Today is the first day I've been able to come back online and see everyone's responses.

Thanks to all whom responded.
You would have to cross the road twice to take the "sidewalk" under the water bridge. With all the buses and other vehicles on that road, I wouldn't risk my life doing that.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #18
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

As long as there is a sidewalk security won't care. I have run on many of the WDW roads that have the sidewalks.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #19
Deb & Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn View Post
As long as there is a sidewalk security won't care. I have run on many of the WDW roads that have the sidewalks.
If you look at the photo, there isn't any "sidewalk" once you exit the water bridge tunnel. I think that "sidewalk" is really maintenance work area to do any necessary maintenance under the bridge.

That would be an extremely dangerous area to walk/run.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #20
DPCummerbund
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
That would be an extremely dangerous area to walk/run.
One's perception of danger is relative.

To someone who grew up in Chicago or NYC, streets like this don't look dangerous at all. Not even remotely.

Personally, I didn't. I grew up walking and riding a bike around a lot of two-lane roads just like this one. I've driven this particular route before, and it does not feel dangerous to me relative to the roads I'm used to.

Imagine a road like that with semis going 60+ MPH in both directions. Then imagine riding a bicycle along that road - with no shoulder or maintained berm anywhere, let alone a sidewalk along most of the route. Semis whipping by just inches from you. That, to me, feels dangerous! And yet cyclists do that all the time, every day. I've quit because I'm a chicken, but I still see cyclists on roads like that all the time.

Most sidewalks that I'm familiar with are 3-5' wide. I'd walk along a 5' sidewalk on this WDW road without a care in the world. The sidewalk in the photos is 8-10 feet wide, and runs along 90% of this route. The remaining 10% will be through well-maintained lawns, where you can walk/run as far away from the road as you want.

I don't bike any more (as I said, I chickened out, at least until we move somewhere with actual bike paths), but I walk all the time, on roads just like this (with less of a grass shoulder, and many more semis). It just isn't dangerous relative to what I do every day. For you, maybe that isn't true.

That's why I posted photos, and not just a recommendation one way or the other. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and everyone will feel a different comfort level with this situation. There's no right or wrong answer.
DPCummerbund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #21
Deb & Bill

Quote:
One's perception of danger is relative.

To someone who grew up in Chicago or NYC, streets like this don't look dangerous at all. Not even remotely.

Personally, I didn't. I grew up walking and riding a bike around a lot of two-lane roads just like this one. I've driven this particular route before, and it does not feel dangerous to me relative to the roads I'm used to.

Imagine a road like that with semis going 60+ MPH in both directions. Then imagine riding a bicycle along that road - with no shoulder or maintained berm anywhere, let alone a sidewalk along most of the route. Semis whipping by just inches from you. That, to me, feels dangerous! And yet cyclists do that all the time, every day. I've quit because I'm a chicken, but I still see cyclists on roads like that all the time.

Most sidewalks that I'm familiar with are 3-5' wide. I'd walk along a 5' sidewalk on this WDW road without a care in the world. The sidewalk in the photos is 8-10 feet wide, and runs along 90% of this route. The remaining 10% will be through well-maintained lawns, where you can walk/run as far away from the road as you want.

I don't bike any more (as I said, I chickened out, at least until we move somewhere with actual bike paths), but I walk all the time, on roads just like this (with less of a grass shoulder, and many more semis). It just isn't dangerous relative to what I do every day. For you, maybe that isn't true.

That's why I posted photos, and not just a recommendation one way or the other. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and everyone will feel a different comfort level with this situation. There's no right or wrong answer.
However, it is Disney's property, not public property. Disney has their rules. And they have their lawyers.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #22
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Is there a boat that runs to WL or FW from CR? Could you take the boat and then run there? Or what about running a few laps back and forth from CR all the way to the canal over by the GF and back?
Old 11-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #23
DPCummerbund
Mouseketeer

Quote:
However, it is Disney's property, not public property. Disney has their rules. And they have their lawyers.
How do you know that this is Disney's rule?

I've always been taught that when walking along the side of a road, you should walk against oncoming traffic, and cycle with traffic. You should also cross in crosswalks when available, but it is okay to cross a road when there are no crosswalks as long as you do so safely.

I was curious as to whether those general rules apply as law in Florida, and they do. This is just a law firm's website, but they quote Florida law, so I'm going to assume that they are correct.

http://www.meldonlaw.com/library/ped...in-florida.cfm

Walking on sidewalks is legal. Walking on the edge of a road where there isn't a sidewalk is legal. Crossing the road when there isn't a crosswalk is legal. I have never seen a sign or rule posted by Disney that has required or asked guests to do differently.
DPCummerbund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #24
Deb & Bill

Quote:

I've always been taught that when walking along the side of a road, you should walk against oncoming traffic, and cycle with traffic. You should also cross in crosswalks when available, but it is okay to cross a road when there are no crosswalks as long as you do so safely.

I was curious as to whether those general rules apply as law in Florida, and they do. This is just a law firm's website, but they quote Florida law, so I'm going to assume that they are correct.

Walking on sidewalks is legal. Walking on the edge of a road where there isn't a sidewalk is legal. Crossing the road when there isn't a crosswalk is legal. I have never seen a sign or rule posted by Disney that has required or asked guests to do differently.
Because my husband is a runner and was running along side the road near DTD (no sidewalk). Disney Security stopped him and told him running/walking along side the road was not permitted.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #25
myzel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPCummerbund

I would rather cycle alongside a semi than walk on the roadway in WDW with the ID10T's that are driving there and rubber necking. Just saying, but I also believe in Social Darwinism.
myzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #26
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

did it in the 80's - not to WL (wl was not there) but to TTC.

so yes you can do it. Is it worth it no.

there is several maps - just go look for disney running on google.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #27
paxsarah

Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceycat View Post
did it in the 80's - not to WL (wl was not there) but to TTC.

so yes you can do it. Is it worth it no.

there is several maps - just go look for disney running on google.
The issue for me would be, if I want to get in a 5-10 mile run in the morning before the rest of the family wakes up, I like being able to do it from the door of my resort and not drive somewhere to even get started. In that sense, I completely sympathize with the OP and will actually be following this thread, because I'll be facing the same thing when we stay at BLT next May. I don't think there are any officially approved options at the Contemporary other than running the same mind-numbing .5-1 mile loop 10-20 times. And if the OP is like me (running in the pre-dawn hours) the safety issue arises less from clueless tourists than from service workers who are not expecting to see a runner/pedestrian on the road at 5:30am (and if this is the case for the OP, wear a headlamp and reflective gear!).

I found the Epcot area resorts to be a great place for running, because I could run around the boardwalk (scenic but too short for a serious run), Epcot Resorts Boulevard (which as I remember, also had a disappearing sidewalk) and the path to DHS - and even then I did multiple loops to get in 8 miles. Considering how big the runDisney races are, running at Disney outside of race day is really not that convenient.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #28
Miked0292
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I do believe upon reading another post somewhere that the roads are publicly owned by the state of Florida and only a few private roads owned by rcid

06/09,06/10,12/10,4/11,12/11,2/12,10/12,12/12,2/13,12/13,2/14,12/14 CL Beach Club 10/13 Carribean Beach 10/14 Yacht Club
Miked0292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #29
alice99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxsarah View Post
The issue for me would be, if I want to get in a 5-10 mile run in the morning before the rest of the family wakes up, I like being able to do it from the door of my resort and not drive somewhere to even get started. In that sense, I completely sympathize with the OP and will actually be following this thread, because I'll be facing the same thing when we stay at BLT next May. I don't think there are any officially approved options at the Contemporary other than running the same mind-numbing .5-1 mile loop 10-20 times. And if the OP is like me (running in the pre-dawn hours) the safety issue arises less from clueless tourists than from service workers who are not expecting to see a runner/pedestrian on the road at 5:30am (and if this is the case for the OP, wear a headlamp and reflective gear!).

I found the Epcot area resorts to be a great place for running, because I could run around the boardwalk (scenic but too short for a serious run), Epcot Resorts Boulevard (which as I remember, also had a disappearing sidewalk) and the path to DHS - and even then I did multiple loops to get in 8 miles. Considering how big the runDisney races are, running at Disney outside of race day is really not that convenient.

I stay at BLT also, and using the marked "jogging path" around the resort is merely the regular sidewalks, with many obstacles. BLT is the worst that I've encountered for running on Disney property.

Wilderness Lodge: the best, followed by
2.Boardwalk, Beach Club
3.Saratoga Springs

I asked a simple question about running from one location to another, and easy access. I can't believe how some people on these boards ( the know-it-alls) can spoil a simple thread and turn it into an ongoing arguments. Really, please, "listen" to yourself.
These DIS Board preachers are too much.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
alice99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #30
Waddler
Mouseketeer

OP, I know what you mean.

I love staying at WL because I can run 5+ enjoyable miles through FW without heavy traffic.

IMO, the area around BLT simply isn't ideal for longer runs. The roads are too busy, with very narrow shoulders. Frankly, I settled for 2ish mile runs to the MK and back when I stayed there. The boat trip to FW/WL would've taken too much time. I wouldn't recommend running on the grass, either. Too many snakes for my taste.
Waddler is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: