Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #46
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post
My parents took us out of elementary for Disney trips. He had business shows and seminars and would combine the two. He heard flack about it. Once. And then he pointed out that he had to keep us kids out of school the day that they hired ghost story tellers for assembly (how was that education?), or about the times the kids would hold hands end to end to show how big a whale was (he was taking us to SeaWorld.) He never heard another complaint again.

After elementary, we were homeschooled. England several times (actually walking around the Battle of Hastings where William won. How many times do you get to read about that, but to BE there to SEE IT? Same with Tower of London. SO much history there.) We have been blessed to go a lot of places. We never suffered for our education. We are all successful, and it was wonderful family time that you can NEVER NEVER get back!

I also know a youngster (1st grader last year, 2nd this year) who got to spend several weeks in Nicaragua, is going to visit all the Hawaiian Islands in Jan (stand on REAL volcanic parks and see real volcanoes, etc). He is seeing the world, people, and he just turned 8.

What could be better than that?
There are many types of schools that allow travel at the family's convenience, so people who want that flexibility should chose one of those types of schools - home school, expeditionary learning, year round, virtual school, sports academies.

I've been to China and I've been to the China pavilion at Epcot. They aren't the same so don't try to justify a vacation to WDW as a great learning experience. Of course family trips can be memorable, but can't that happen during the school breaks, on Saturdays, or by not breaking school rules on attendance? I learn stuff by watching tv all the time, but I don't think my kids should miss school to stay home and watch tv.

If it is important to your family to have flexibility to travel, chose a school that is flexible or home school. There are options.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #47
TheLanes
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjje View Post
Thank you for sharing this point of view. I try very hard to have kids who fall into the first group. So far my kids' teachers have always been supportive of our family trips.

The problem here is you don't know all the rules. I've always had permission to take my kids out of school. Never in my son's 9 years of school (or my daughter's 3) have they ever had an unexcused absence and that is with us pulling them out of school for various family trips every year. It is 100% possible to work with the school (depending on where you live) to take vacations during the school year and stay within the rules.

I'm not for one second going to claim that my kids are getting a math education as they get their nth cup of ice cream for the day or learning social studies as they ride the water slide. I do know that last week, on the same day my family was riding inner tubes down the Martha Brea river in Jamaica, listening to our guide describe the history of the river and of the country, my daughter's class was back in Minnesota watching Bambi. So.... yeah. I feel pretty good about the real world learning opportunities my kids got on our cruise.

Well put! PaceFamily is simply trying to say that folks shouldn't try to label taking a cruise as an educational experience only. Truly, we want to have fun with our families for a week, during the school year, so now we need to make it educational...

March 2007 - 11 night Mex Riviera- Celebrity Mercury
April 2009 - 3 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
April 2010 - 4 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
Feb 2012 - 7 night Mexican Riviera - Disney Wonder

Coming up: Oct 2015 - 5 night Baja Mexico - Disney Wonder

Disneyland: Dozens and dozens of trips!
TheLanes is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #48
redmomof4
I love TIM without a hat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twindaddy View Post
Do you want an honest opinion from a teacher? Flame me if you want, but here is what your teacher will not tell you, unless you get a glass of wine in him/her The students who are polite, respectful, follow directions, generally turn into assignments, ask questions and get help when needed, and have parents that treat me like a partner in their kids education: I am glad they are going on vacation, have a great time. It has nothing to do with academic aptitude, I am talking about all the other qualities. For those students, I will gladly spend 30 minutes out of my Sunday to put together a packet for you. Do it, but have a great trip! The students who are terrible in class, disrupt the learning of other students, have a terrible attitude, have parents that never respond to my phone calls and/or say "My little Johnny would never throw a chair at you or call another student (insert curse word / ethnic slur / sexual orientation slur), you must be a bad teacher or it is your fault somehow. Those are the students that seem to get most of the vacations, and NEVER, I mean NEVER turn in the packets I make them. Those are the students your teachers and office staff resent, and when you have little Sally the terror on vacation, we are just glad they are gone so everyone else can learn. I had a student a Disneyland last week who makes it is daily mission to bring other students off task. Be nice to your teacher, make them a partner in your kids education, and have a great trip. I have kids too, I know how much pricier things are at school breaks. I dont know the point of this post, other than to give you some insight into the mind of a teacher about vacations.
I love this post!! Thanks for being so candid!
'85 offsite; '99 4n Wonder + 3n offsite; '05 3n Wonder + 5n POP; '07 6n POP + 4n Wonder; '09 Magic 7n Eastern; '11 6n Caribe Royale Villas;
6/13 WDW with 15 family members 8/13 3n Dream just me and Hubby 11/13 5n Western out of Miami on the Magic! (Did I REALLY go 3 times last year!!)

7/14 2n Daytona Beach , 3n Portofino Bay, 4n Yacht Club, I'm looking forward to the new experiences!
redmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #49
scrapshappen
DIS Veteran

We just got back from our cruise last week. We originally planned it when both my children were suppose to be off track on their year round school schedule. Right after our PIF date, my older son (fifth grade) had the opportunity to transfer to a magnet school for gifted children on a traditional school schedule in the neighboring town.

Long story short, he ended up missing eight days of school (which we cleared with his teacher before we even decided to transfer him or not). And now we are all paying for it. He is one of those gifted but unmotivated students and I discovered this morning the make up work he told me was done, was only partially completed. Makes me crazy but it was our fault (and blame my DH since I worked this weekend) for not following up on it before school this morning.

Bottom line, I've decided he cannot miss school any more. We've pulled him out for Disney Vacations in Kindergarten, 3 & 4 grade (some of those for three days, some for an entire week), but I doubt we will be doing it again unless he can up his act.

That does severely limit when we can travel though since I still have my younger son on a year round schedule. They basically have three weeks off in July (one week I have an annual convention I go to here in town so that leaves two weeks) and 10 days at Christmas plus an occasional long weekend when they are both out of school at the same time.

I guess I am not really adding to this discussion (other than the 14 weeks off of school is a myth for a lot of families) but more just venting about how we likely won't be able to do Disney vacations again until I can get both of my kids back on the same school schedule.
scrapshappen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #50
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
There are many types of schools that allow travel at the family's convenience, so people who want that flexibility should chose one of those types of schools - home school, expeditionary learning, year round, virtual school, sports academies.

I've been to China and I've been to the China pavilion at Epcot. They aren't the same so don't try to justify a vacation to WDW as a great learning experience. Of course family trips can be memorable, but can't that happen during the school breaks, on Saturdays, or by not breaking school rules on attendance? I learn stuff by watching tv all the time, but I don't think my kids should miss school to stay home and watch tv.

If it is important to your family to have flexibility to travel, chose a school that is flexible or home school. There are options.

Nancy
Simple answer, not in our case. As mentioned, Dad was going to Orlando for business shows. They didn't always coincide with summer vacation. Although I will add, I remember at least once or twice going when school was out during the summer.

Either way, as the parent, it was his right to decide for his own kids. He didn't agree with what was always taught, either, or school activities (clearly as stated above). When we were homeschooled 6th grade on, I think we all breathed a sigh of relief! (We did go to vocational school in high school for 3 years and held jobs too.)

I think its a cheap call to compare our family time and vacations to watching tv. I know the point you are trying to make, and its still lousy. Not all TV is educational, some is (and they actually sometimes WATCH TV in school too) but the idea of comparing dad taking us diving when we were almost 12 in the virgin islands to watching tv is just a bit ridiculous.

What it comes down to is that its the PARENT'S RIGHT TO DECIDE. No one elses. Not even the teachers'. And frankly its no one's business, either.

Harumph.
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #51
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post

Nancy
You don't have to go to a special school to have a flexible education system. I am assuming those with tight restrictions are referring to some US states? There are lots of the rest of us, who don't live in the US, that are fortunate to have reasonable school policies for regular school.

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #52
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgirls View Post
You don't have to go to a special school to have a flexible education system. I am assuming those with tight restrictions are referring to some US states? There are lots of the rest of us, who don't live in the US, that are fortunate to have reasonable school policies for regular school.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #53
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post
Simple answer, not in our case. As mentioned, Dad was going to Orlando for business shows. They didn't always coincide with summer vacation. Although I will add, I remember at least once or twice going when school was out during the summer.

Either way, as the parent, it was his right to decide for his own kids. He didn't agree with what was always taught, either, or school activities (clearly as stated above). When we were homeschooled 6th grade on, I think we all breathed a sigh of relief! (We did go to vocational school in high school for 3 years and held jobs too.)

I think its a cheap call to compare our family time and vacations to watching tv. I know the point you are trying to make, and its still lousy. Not all TV is educational, some is (and they actually sometimes WATCH TV in school too) but the idea of comparing dad taking us diving when we were almost 12 in the virgin islands to watching tv is just a bit ridiculous.

What it comes down to is that its the PARENT'S RIGHT TO DECIDE. No one elses. Not even the teachers'. And frankly its no one's business, either.

Harumph.
This raises an interesting point.
Saying kids can't miss any school for vacation, or any other reason bar sickness I assume, seems very totalitarian! Where is the parents right to decide?

Again, feel lucky.

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

Old 11-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #54
TheLanes
DIS Veteran

Oh, you Canadians are so progressive with your socialized healthcare and flexible educational system... (jealous actually )

March 2007 - 11 night Mex Riviera- Celebrity Mercury
April 2009 - 3 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
April 2010 - 4 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
Feb 2012 - 7 night Mexican Riviera - Disney Wonder

Coming up: Oct 2015 - 5 night Baja Mexico - Disney Wonder

Disneyland: Dozens and dozens of trips!
TheLanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #55
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLanes View Post
Oh, you Canadians are so progressive with your socialized healthcare and flexible educational system... (jealous actually )

Sorry.

Actually from the UK originally. They are starting to get a little stricter there. My sister-in-law had to sign something to take them out of school, but not illegal yet!

Old 11-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #56
PaceFamily
Wife and Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjje View Post
I do know that last week, on the same day my family was riding inner tubes down the Martha Brea river in Jamaica, listening to our guide describe the history of the river and of the country, my daughter's class was back in Minnesota watching Bambi. So.... yeah. I feel pretty good about the real world learning opportunities my kids got on our cruise.
Wow. Sad state of educational system, huh. But guess I will save that rant (and flame out) for another day. . Lol. Thanks all for the lively discussion. It is always interesting. We raise our children as best we can to do right with this world that we will leave them. I do not know if my way is better than anyone's else but we hope that we all get the results right in the end. Well balanced children that will live happy, productive lives.

Cheers!
Disney Dream June 2011
WDW June 2010

PaceFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #57
braysmommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLanes View Post
Agree My DS is in private school which is supportive of missing days for family trips. He is only in first grade but missed 2 weeks for the Panama Canal trip last year and will miss the last 2 weeks this May for our Transatlantic and Med cruises.

Upcoming Southern Caribbean 1/16.
braysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #58
natmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by braysmommy View Post
Agree My DS is in private school which is supportive of missing days for family trips. He is only in first grade but missed 2 weeks for the Panama Canal trip last year and will miss the last 2 weeks this May for our Transatlantic and Med cruises.
I live in Canada. I really do love living here
natmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #59
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by braysmommy View Post
IMHO, no one should be concerned about taking a 1st grader out of school for a trip. Good for you!

Mike
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #60
deanimal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmom View Post
I live in Canada. I really do love living here
Me too! Now if only DCL would base one of their ships up here it would be nearly perfect!

I agree that every family is different and in the end it is the parent's right to decide, but it's also the school's right to decide if they will accomodate. Every school is also different and you know the rules from the beginning. If there are negative consequences for absences you have to take that into account and decide if it's worth it. Don't say it's no fair for the school to "punish" your child for unexcused absences when it was your decision to go, not the school's and not the child's. It's the school's right to make rules for the school just as much as it's your right to make decisions for your family.
deanimal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: