Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #11
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post
My parents took us out of elementary for Disney trips. He had business shows and seminars and would combine the two. He heard flack about it. Once. And then he pointed out that he had to keep us kids out of school the day that they hired ghost story tellers for assembly (how was that education?), or about the times the kids would hold hands end to end to show how big a whale was (he was taking us to SeaWorld.) He never heard another complaint again.

After elementary, we were homeschooled. England several times (actually walking around the Battle of Hastings where William won. How many times do you get to read about that, but to BE there to SEE IT? Same with Tower of London. SO much history there.) We have been blessed to go a lot of places. We never suffered for our education. We are all successful, and it was wonderful family time that you can NEVER NEVER get back!

I also know a youngster (1st grader last year, 2nd this year) who got to spend several weeks in Nicaragua, is going to visit all the Hawaiian Islands in Jan (stand on REAL volcanic parks and see real volcanoes, etc). He is seeing the world, people, and he just turned 8.

What could be better than that?
There are many types of schools that allow travel at the family's convenience, so people who want that flexibility should chose one of those types of schools - home school, expeditionary learning, year round, virtual school, sports academies.

I've been to China and I've been to the China pavilion at Epcot. They aren't the same so don't try to justify a vacation to WDW as a great learning experience. Of course family trips can be memorable, but can't that happen during the school breaks, on Saturdays, or by not breaking school rules on attendance? I learn stuff by watching tv all the time, but I don't think my kids should miss school to stay home and watch tv.

If it is important to your family to have flexibility to travel, chose a school that is flexible or home school. There are options.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: