Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #31
icesk8abc
Mouseketeer

I'm a teacher who takes a week off every other year for a Disney vacation due to cost and crowds. I also talk my sisters into pulling their kids (still elementary aged) out of school to go with us.

In advance of comments my sharing this usually brings...Yes - I have had people (never parents of kids in my classes strangely enough) tell me that I shouldn't be taking off time to go on a trip when I have the summer off. My district gives me 5 days of vacation time a year. I choose to use them on consecutive days every other year.

As long as the family has a good track record for make-up work/studies, I have no problem with them taking vacation time. My students (who I've had for 2 years because I loop) know that I have no problem with family time. I do ask that they notify me in advance as much as possible.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:02 PM   #32
twindaddy
DIS Veteran

Do you want an honest opinion from a teacher? Flame me if you want, but here is what your teacher will not tell you, unless you get a glass of wine in him/her

The students who are polite, respectful, follow directions, generally turn into assignments, ask questions and get help when needed, and have parents that treat me like a partner in their kids education: I am glad they are going on vacation, have a great time. It has nothing to do with academic aptitude, I am talking about all the other qualities. For those students, I will gladly spend 30 minutes out of my Sunday to put together a packet for you. Do it, but have a great trip!

The students who are terrible in class, disrupt the learning of other students, have a terrible attitude, have parents that never respond to my phone calls and/or say "My little Johnny would never throw a chair at you or call another student (insert curse word / ethnic slur / sexual orientation slur), you must be a bad teacher or it is your fault somehow. Those are the students that seem to get most of the vacations, and NEVER, I mean NEVER turn in the packets I make them. Those are the students your teachers and office staff resent, and when you have little Sally the terror on vacation, we are just glad they are gone so everyone else can learn. I had a student a Disneyland last week who makes it is daily mission to bring other students off task.

Be nice to your teacher, make them a partner in your kids education, and have a great trip. I have kids too, I know how much pricier things are at school breaks.

I dont know the point of this post, other than to give you some insight into the mind of a teacher about vacations.
twindaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2013, 05:07 AM   #33
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twindaddy View Post
Do you want an honest opinion from a teacher? Flame me if you want, but here is what your teacher will not tell you, unless you get a glass of wine in him/her

The students who are polite, respectful, follow directions, generally turn into assignments, ask questions and get help when needed, and have parents that treat me like a partner in their kids education: I am glad they are going on vacation, have a great time. It has nothing to do with academic aptitude, I am talking about all the other qualities. For those students, I will gladly spend 30 minutes out of my Sunday to put together a packet for you. Do it, but have a great trip!

The students who are terrible in class, disrupt the learning of other students, have a terrible attitude, have parents that never respond to my phone calls and/or say "My little Johnny would never throw a chair at you or call another student (insert curse word / ethnic slur / sexual orientation slur), you must be a bad teacher or it is your fault somehow. Those are the students that seem to get most of the vacations, and NEVER, I mean NEVER turn in the packets I make them. Those are the students your teachers and office staff resent, and when you have little Sally the terror on vacation, we are just glad they are gone so everyone else can learn. I had a student a Disneyland last week who makes it is daily mission to bring other students off task.

Be nice to your teacher, make them a partner in your kids education, and have a great trip. I have kids too, I know how much pricier things are at school breaks.

I dont know the point of this post, other than to give you some insight into the mind of a teacher about vacations.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:07 AM   #34
natmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Great post! I've often wondered if it is the unpleasant children/parents that have created the crackdown by the schools. I have pulled my kids from school for vacation, usually once every other year. I given the teachers a month or two of notice and thank them profusely for their cooperation. My children complete everything the teacher sends home. If I felt my children were unable to grasp the concepts they would miss then we wouldn't pull them from school. I think it really depends on the child.
natmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:26 AM   #35
magrudersmakes3
DIS Veteran

Quote:

1998 First trip offsite, 2003 CBR, 2004 Sea World, 2005 POR, 2007 POR, 2008 BW, 2010 CCL, 2010 HRH Universal, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Dream, 2013 POP/POR (Princess 1/2 Marathon), 2013 BLT
magrudersmakes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:43 AM   #36
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadekind View Post
Trying to say a family vacation has the same educational value as spending 6+ hours a day in a classroom with a professional educator is at best self delusion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot
Thinking that sitting in a room for 6+ hours a day with an educator is the same thing as actively learning for 6+ hours is delusional as well. I think that most of us here went to school, and when we're honest with ourselves we can take the number of hours of actual LEARNING way down from that. If we truly learned during that whole time, homework wouldn't be necessary at all.

Great perspective.
We had 6 months when we had to travel away from home. Instead of placing the kids in local schools we home schooled, using our districts curriculum.
I was AMAZED how little they actually learn in class!
Research says something like the 6+ hours a day in the classroom equates to just an hour of actual learning! It was a real eye-opener!

It meant while away we only had to spend an hour a day on school work and the rest of the time was travel enrichment!

I now get a copy of the curriculum every year so we can offer relevant enrichment at home. And sometimes this involves travel!

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #37
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

My parents took us out of elementary for Disney trips. He had business shows and seminars and would combine the two. He heard flack about it. Once. And then he pointed out that he had to keep us kids out of school the day that they hired ghost story tellers for assembly (how was that education?), or about the times the kids would hold hands end to end to show how big a whale was (he was taking us to SeaWorld.) He never heard another complaint again.

After elementary, we were homeschooled. England several times (actually walking around the Battle of Hastings where William won. How many times do you get to read about that, but to BE there to SEE IT? Same with Tower of London. SO much history there.) We have been blessed to go a lot of places. We never suffered for our education. We are all successful, and it was wonderful family time that you can NEVER NEVER get back!

I also know a youngster (1st grader last year, 2nd this year) who got to spend several weeks in Nicaragua, is going to visit all the Hawaiian Islands in Jan (stand on REAL volcanic parks and see real volcanoes, etc). He is seeing the world, people, and he just turned 8.

What could be better than that?
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #38
Disneybridewifemama
Mouseketeer

My parents used to take me out for vacation as long as my GPA was above a certain number and I always had to do some kind of report on the trip. I specifically remember when I was 11 and did a report on the world showcase at Epcot. My school work was always made up and I never saw an issue with taking a vacation. I will do the same with my kids.
Disneybridewifemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #39
PaceFamily
Wife and Grumpy

I am probably going to get flamed for this but here it goes. I am not sure where we draw the line on these types of conversations. I have seen numerous conversations about "how dare people (XXX) because it is against the rules". This can be applied to, but is not limited to, the following...

1. Shorts in the dining rooms
2. Seat saving at the shows
3. Deck chair saving
4. Etc.

I have read people complaining about how dare "this person" do "that" because it is against the rules. Now here we are talking about taking children out of the education system to take an "educational" vacation. In many locations, missing school for an unexcused absence is called Truancy and is a crime in many areas. Last time I checked a vacation is not an excused absence. It is just against the rules/ laws. Saying the rules do not apply to you so that you can take a cheaper "educational" vacation is really a stretch. Is the value of the vacation to your child's education any greater during the school year than it would be during the more expensive vacation season? Honestly, I would love to hear what is so educational about taking a vacation cruise and visiting tourist areas. Really, please enlighten me.

Now that said, I am are that there is no one on this particular thread would ever have complained about anything that I mentioned above because we can see past these minor "restrictions" that we call rules and do not see the need to worry with them. I am sure that none of us will ever complain either when we book a veranda and a smoker lights up next to us. After all, they are choosing to "flex" the rules because they are inconvenient to them, so it is all good there also.

Sure my wife is going to boot me for posting this, but I just needed to say it.
Disney Dream June 2011
WDW June 2010

PaceFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #40
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
If there are an average of 25-30 kids in a class, and everyone took a different week, that teacher would be constantly preparing packets or grading work that is a week late, or staying after to help someone catch up. Add to that kids who miss for illness, family matters, moving mid-year, etc. and it's understandable why classes aren't moving as quickly as they should. I get rather angry that this week we have classes on Mon and Tues, but so many kids will miss that I'm sure they'll review all the work next week. Why should those who do attend have to go slower because others want to miss school?

My daughter left early on Friday (school related) and she just spent 6 hours making up the 4 hours of school she missed - chemistry, physics, calculus, and statistics - plus her regular homework. If she misses 2 days, she'd be in a panic.

Nancy
That's my problem with the idea. When my kids miss a week of math, or Spanish - its gone. Science is starting to get like that - you need to know last weeks Chemistry to do this weeks. And the burden of getting them caught up is falling on the teachers as much as the students.

Its different in elementary school - maybe. But I'm not sure how different since my daughter started Algebra in elementary school (and we live in a not very good district).

Yes, travel can be educational, but its education usually in the "you can miss this part of your education and still do well on the SAT" way. Whereas if you miss learning absolute values and being able to correct dependent clauses because you were busy learning about Stingrays on Castaway Cay that can be a big deal.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #41
TheLanes
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceFamily View Post
I am probably going to get flamed for this but here it goes. I am not sure where we draw the line on these types of conversations. I have seen numerous conversations about "how dare people (XXX) because it is against the rules". This can be applied to, but is not limited to, the following...

3. Deck chair saving
4. Etc.

I have read people complaining about how dare "this person" do "that" because it is against the rules. Now here we are talking about taking children out of the education system to take an "educational" vacation. In many locations, missing school for an unexcused absence is called Truancy and is a crime in many areas. Last time I checked a vacation is not an excused absence. It is just against the rules/ laws. Saying the rules do not apply to you so that you can take a cheaper "educational" vacation is really a stretch. Is the value of the vacation to your child's education any greater during the school year than it would be during the more expensive vacation season? Honestly, I would love to hear what is so educational about taking a vacation cruise and visiting tourist areas. Really, please enlighten me.

Now that said, I am are that there is no one on this particular thread would ever have complained about anything that I mentioned above because we can see past these minor "restrictions" that we call rules and do not see the need to worry with them. I am sure that none of us will ever complain either when we book a veranda and a smoker lights up next to us. After all, they are choosing to "flex" the rules because they are inconvenient to them, so it is all good there also.

So, let me enlighten you. I won't address the rest of your thread, but my main concern is you saying I am breaking a rule by pulling my kid out. Our district has an independent study policy that allows for 5 or more days out, regardless of reason. That is NOT breaking a rule.

Some folks on this thread have discussed how they made it educational. They truly did it I believe. I was arguing at first that no one should call the cruise educational, but there are so many ways to do it, if you try.

It all comes down to what is best for your kids. Some kids should never miss a minute, and probably need tutor help to catch up. Some kids can miss a week and not skip a beat. Thankfully, our kids are like that, and we spend the time at night to ensure that.

March 2007 - 11 night Mex Riviera- Celebrity Mercury
April 2009 - 3 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
April 2010 - 4 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
Feb 2012 - 7 night Mexican Riviera - Disney Wonder

Coming up: Oct 2015 - 5 night Baja Mexico - Disney Wonder

Disneyland: Dozens and dozens of trips!
TheLanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #42
PaceFamily
Wife and Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLanes View Post
So, let me enlighten you. I won't address the rest of your thread, but my main concern is you saying I am breaking a rule by pulling my kid out. Our district has an independent study policy that allows for 5 or more days out, regardless of reason. That is NOT breaking a rule.

Some folks on this thread have discussed how they made it educational. They truly did it I believe. I was arguing at first that no one should call the cruise educational, but there are so many ways to do it, if you try.

It all comes down to what is best for your kids. Some kids should never miss a minute, and probably need tutor help to catch up. Some kids can miss a week and not skip a beat. Thankfully, our kids are like that, and we spend the time at night to ensure that.
As I stated, MOST places. This really comes down to my point. If you want to take your children out of school for vacation it is up to you, your teachers and what is best for your children. But, and I mean this in the nicest way, please lets not pretend that this is really done for the educational purpose but instead for a cost factor for MOST. I understand that some have restrictions where they can not get off during the prime vacation times. I too have been there and I chose to keep my kids in school and we just did not vacation. That was MY choice and we still choose to keep our child in school.
Disney Dream June 2011
WDW June 2010

PaceFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #43
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:

3. Deck chair saving
4. Etc.

At the end of the day it is always a family's personal choice.

I guess some school districts across the US are stricter than others. I feel so sorry for those who live in an area where taking your kids out of school to broaden their views and experiences is a crime! I feel very lucky to have more educational freedom.

I do feel very strongly that there is a lot to learn from seeing the world and a lot of life experiences to be gained from visiting 'tourist areas', (whatever that means! ) Our children have been exposed to culture and language around the world and are definitely more understanding of the world for it.

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #44
cjbcam
Mouseketeer

Quote:

3. Deck chair saving
4. Etc.

Some parents can't take holidays when school breaks are, period. There is no arguing that point. So what? A family like that just isn't supposed to take holidays? No way I'm going to miss out on those important family vacations, which kids do learn things on, just because some people think its "wrong". Sometimes things aren't black and white like you seem to think.
cjbcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #45
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

Quote:

Thank you for sharing this point of view. I try very hard to have kids who fall into the first group. So far my kids' teachers have always been supportive of our family trips.

Quote:

3. Deck chair saving
4. Etc.

The problem here is you don't know all the rules. I've always had permission to take my kids out of school. Never in my son's 9 years of school (or my daughter's 3) have they ever had an unexcused absence and that is with us pulling them out of school for various family trips every year. It is 100% possible to work with the school (depending on where you live) to take vacations during the school year and stay within the rules.

I'm not for one second going to claim that my kids are getting a math education as they get their nth cup of ice cream for the day or learning social studies as they ride the water slide. I do know that last week, on the same day my family was riding inner tubes down the Martha Brea river in Jamaica, listening to our guide describe the history of the river and of the country, my daughter's class was back in Minnesota watching Bambi. So.... yeah. I feel pretty good about the real world learning opportunities my kids got on our cruise.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder

jjje is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: