Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
tnolan
Earning My Ears

Wired internet no longer available

Just wanted to let everyone know that if you prefer a wired internet connection to your laptop, as I do, it is no longer available in any of the Disney resorts. I brought my laptop with me and plugged into the indicated socket for the internet connection, (which is still there and uncovered) only to be greeted with, no connection. I called the resort's tech line asking what the procedure was to initiate the wired connection, which used to be $10 a night, and was told it had been deactivated and the only way to connect now was unsecured wi fi. Not interested in jeopardizing my privacy for the sake of being on the internet, so I will be leaving my laptop home from now on. I'm not sure if anyone else still uses a wired connection, but wanted to let them know about this disappointing development.

~Thanks to ArielRae for above characters!~
tnolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnolan View Post
Just wanted to let everyone know that if you prefer a wired internet connection to your laptop, as I do, it is no longer available in any of the Disney resorts. I brought my laptop with me and plugged into the indicated socket for the internet connection, (which is still there and uncovered) only to be greeted with, no connection. I called the resort's tech line asking what the procedure was to initiate the wired connection, which used to be $10 a night, and was told it had been deactivated and the only way to connect now was unsecured wi fi. Not interested in jeopardizing my privacy for the sake of being on the internet, so I will be leaving my laptop home from now on. I'm not sure if anyone else still uses a wired connection, but wanted to let them know about this disappointing development.
Yep and they took the wired access out more than a year ago.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
MsThumper
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I have a VPN app on my IPAD which we pay about $50.00 a year for, so that when I travel and need to do banking transactions, I turn on the VPN.
MsThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
tnolan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
Yep and they took the wired access out more than a year ago.
This was my first visit in 2 years, and I didn't even think about checking before hauling my laptop along. Thanks MsThumper for the tip on the VPN! I don't have an Ipad, but I might look into the private network device NetZero has advertised.

~Thanks to ArielRae for above characters!~
tnolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:30 AM   #5
Mickey&JoshNut
It's not nice to distract the cute lifeguards

just keep swimming... just keep swimming.... Dory....
now I

Wish they still had the wired connection as well...in fact, the service was so much better before they started offering free wifi...the connection has been poor since we checked in yesteday at Pop Century and the tech guy at the help number said that it is normal to have no internet...I told the guy I was surprised since Disney sems to be moving more towards MB, etc. and his suggestion was if I wanted to connect to the internet, to try early morning...good thing I am an early riser. I would rather pay a few bucks and have service when I need it than keeping my fingers crossed that I will have service.

04/12 Disney Wonder 15 Night Hawaii Cruise 03/12 - Disney Fantasy - Maiden Voyage 09/11 - WDW - POP Century "Free Dining"
05/11 - Disney Wonder - 1st Alaska 7 Night Cruise 04/11 - Disney Wonder Repo LA to Vancouver 04/11 - DL - Disneyland Hotel
02/11 - WDW - POP Century 01/11 - Disney Dream - Maiden Voyage 01/11 - WDW - POP Century 09/10 - WDW - POP Century "Free Dining"
03/10 - WDW - POP Century - Elaine's Birthday Trip 12/09 - WDW - POP Century 09/09 - WDW - POP Century "Free Dining"

08/09 - WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter "Mom's Birthday Trip" 05/09 - WDW - POP Century 03/09 - WDW - POP Century
02/09-Disney Magic-Birthday Cruise
02/09-WDW-POP Century 09/08-WDW-POP Century 09/08-Disney Magic-Special 5 Night
08/08 - WDW - POP Century
12/07 - WDW - POR 09/07 - WDW - POP Century 05/07 - WDW - POP Century
Rang in 2007 onboard the Disney WONDER 12/06 - WDW - offsite (MH) 11/06 - WDW - Coronado Springs
09/06 - Disney Wonder - 11 Day Southern Caribbean 03/06 - Disney Magic - 7 Day Western Caribbean 03/06 - WDW - offsite (MH)
10/05 - WDW - offsite (MH)
05/05 - DL - Grand Californian 05/05 - Disney Magic - Maiden Panama Canal Crossing
12/04 - WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter 11/04 - Disney Wonder - 4 day 10/01 - WDW - Wilderness Lodge
09/00 - WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter 09/99 - WDW - Caribbean Beach 06/98 - WDW - offsite
Mickey&JoshNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:23 AM   #6
MsThumper
Mouseketeer

Quote:
This was my first visit in 2 years, and I didn't even think about checking before hauling my laptop along. Thanks MsThumper for the tip on the VPN! I don't have an Ipad, but I might look into the private network device NetZero has advertised.
I hope I'm allowed to say this, but check into WiTopia. We have it on all our devices and our desktops at home.
MsThumper is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: