Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #16
tobyornottoby
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cais View Post
But yet it's true. They don't even look at your school.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
If they didnt care about the school, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't ask about it
tobyornottoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #17
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgriff94 View Post
I just got my rejection email for the Disney College Program and, yes I'm incredibly devastated, but more so I'm confused. I applied in 2012 and made it all the way to my phone interview. I thought it went well but for reasons I'll never know I got a rejection email the very next morning. Now ever since then all I've wanted to do was get into the program. I improved myself, got more experience, I've even managed to land an internship at a local zoo. When September rolled around I filled out the first application on the day it came out. I put everything on it. All my references, past work experience. On top of the zoo I had worked for Starbucks and other retail stores so I had the know-how to possibly work at Disney. I waited. I'm a college student in my second year at a community college and everyone told me they don't pick you based on what school you go to. Midway through October I finally got an email from them that said I was pending a final decision. I didn't really think much of it until I learned a good friend of mine got accepted and offered a position. I contacted her and asked her about it. She applied about two weeks prior, went through all of her interviews and got accepted within two weeks. Not only does she go to a well known and respected college(UCONN), she told me she doesn't even really want the position because its too far from home and that she only filled it out because she got an automated email from her school suggesting that she do it. This may sound naive or selfish but that really bothers me. She doesn't even want it and she gets in in two weeks, meanwhile I've been trying so hard to get in and I don't even make it past my first application. What I'm confused about is why they say they don't pick based on school when they clearly do. Also, why did I make it to a phone interview my first time around, but then when I tried my second time, with more experience and knowledge, I couldn't even make it that far. I understand the massive amounts of applications they get and that not everyone can make it in. I get that, and this may just be me being miserable and bitter but it seems broken to me. I want to apply again but now part of me just thinks theres no use when you're competing with people who managed to get into a better college than you. Any closure would be nice. Thanks
Okay I want to say this and I don't want it to sound mean, but when I interview employees or volunteers sometimes they are so happy and excited that they totally spaz out. I mean they have great experience or potential but I have to really think 'do I want to deal with that personality?' 'do i want to deal with people coming to me complaining about this personality?' 'is that going to drive people away rather than make them feel welcoming and comfortable?'.

Could it be that you are trying TOO hard, that in your excitment that you are rambling, or hyper or just....well spazing out?.

UPCOMING: 7/14 Offsite & 10/14 F&W Festival (in planning) WL

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-07-2013, 09:53 PM   #18
dreamerjlee
Mouseketeer

Disney Interviews

So I know that this is not the same but it will make more since if you read the whole thing. I have applied to Disney English about 8 times, only one of those times did I reach a WBI. Only one of those times did I get an interview. And, in 2 weeks from today I will be in Shanghai working for Disney again. Disney English is a program that is kind of similar to the DCP because you are going through the same interview process then moving away to work for Disney. The interviews are conducted by someone you don't know and can't see.

For me I did similar things over that time period from when I first saw Disney English in Eyes and Ears to when I applied the first time to when I applied back in September. I got more experience, and had more jobs. One thing that was different than your situation when I first applied I was a cast member already in good standing. However that did not help me.

One thing that I think helped me a lot was tailoring my resume. When applying there is a link to a resume that was what they were looking for. I already had a resume, and I had uploaded that resume to them multiple times but, this time when I was a little desperate for a job, being unemployed. I took my time and rewrote out my whole resume. I made it look exactly how they wanted it. This seems like a small thing, but when it comes to Disney it is actually very important. I remember being in a break room at MK when a hiring manager was talking to another cast member about a position they applied for and asked her if her resume looked like they wanted it to. He said that the format of the resume was often a reason that peoples resumes didn't get looked at.

Another thing that can help a lot is when you have an interview skype or phone is to dress the part. If you want to be in interview mode then dress like you are going to be at a face to face interview. I had to dress the part I had a Skype interview and you want to come off as professional. If you are doing a skype interview with Disney you want to make sure that you are in the Disney look.

A third thing is if sent a WBI then you need to be consistent. They are checking for personality, but also that you are consistent with your answers. That you need to have a positive self image, and believe that others do to. But be willing to take risks and admit to flaws they know that people are not perfect.

Mark on your application that you are open to all positions. Say you could stay for an advantage program. Yes that means that you will be there for the winter holidays, and summer. Those are some of the busiest times at Disney World, and some of the best money making times! The more time and positions that they can place you into the more use they have for you. If they can use you then they will.

I was hired for transportation 100% not my first choice but I was quick to jump at the opportunity. I did not work a single day in that role. Instead I was called three days before my move in date and asked if I could switch roles, and what role would i most like. I chose to be a character attendant. Anything can happen just believe.

I know a lot of people who work for/ worked for / did the CP program that were attending school at a CC. And, Disney has been running this program for years, they are confident in community college kids. Some of them were the more trustworthy people during my program.

Bottom line, don't give up. If I had given up with the first or even second rejection that I got from Disney English I would not be moving to Shanghai, and eventually to Chengdu. I would not be given the chance to see China with history that goes back 5000 years. I took the time to tailor my skill set to what they were looking for and I am going to be able to use both my college degree and my love for Disney in a new career.

Stay Positive, Consistent, Strong and Bubbly. Disney knows what they want and they will go get it. Apply again and again don't be afraid to put your self out there if you don't try you can't succeed.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #19
vovo2013
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerjlee View Post
So I know that this is not the same but it will make more since if you read the whole thing. I have applied to Disney English about 8 times, only one of those times did I reach a WBI. Only one of those times did I get an interview. And, in 2 weeks from today I will be in Shanghai working for Disney again. Disney English is a program that is kind of similar to the DCP because you are going through the same interview process then moving away to work for Disney. The interviews are conducted by someone you don't know and can't see.

For me I did similar things over that time period from when I first saw Disney English in Eyes and Ears to when I applied the first time to when I applied back in September. I got more experience, and had more jobs. One thing that was different than your situation when I first applied I was a cast member already in good standing. However that did not help me.

One thing that I think helped me a lot was tailoring my resume. When applying there is a link to a resume that was what they were looking for. I already had a resume, and I had uploaded that resume to them multiple times but, this time when I was a little desperate for a job, being unemployed. I took my time and rewrote out my whole resume. I made it look exactly how they wanted it. This seems like a small thing, but when it comes to Disney it is actually very important. I remember being in a break room at MK when a hiring manager was talking to another cast member about a position they applied for and asked her if her resume looked like they wanted it to. He said that the format of the resume was often a reason that peoples resumes didn't get looked at.

Another thing that can help a lot is when you have an interview skype or phone is to dress the part. If you want to be in interview mode then dress like you are going to be at a face to face interview. I had to dress the part I had a Skype interview and you want to come off as professional. If you are doing a skype interview with Disney you want to make sure that you are in the Disney look.

A third thing is if sent a WBI then you need to be consistent. They are checking for personality, but also that you are consistent with your answers. That you need to have a positive self image, and believe that others do to. But be willing to take risks and admit to flaws they know that people are not perfect.

Mark on your application that you are open to all positions. Say you could stay for an advantage program. Yes that means that you will be there for the winter holidays, and summer. Those are some of the busiest times at Disney World, and some of the best money making times! The more time and positions that they can place you into the more use they have for you. If they can use you then they will.

I was hired for transportation 100% not my first choice but I was quick to jump at the opportunity. I did not work a single day in that role. Instead I was called three days before my move in date and asked if I could switch roles, and what role would i most like. I chose to be a character attendant. Anything can happen just believe.

I know a lot of people who work for/ worked for / did the CP program that were attending school at a CC. And, Disney has been running this program for years, they are confident in community college kids. Some of them were the more trustworthy people during my program.

Bottom line, don't give up. If I had given up with the first or even second rejection that I got from Disney English I would not be moving to Shanghai, and eventually to Chengdu. I would not be given the chance to see China with history that goes back 5000 years. I took the time to tailor my skill set to what they were looking for and I am going to be able to use both my college degree and my love for Disney in a new career.

Stay Positive, Consistent, Strong and Bubbly. Disney knows what they want and they will go get it. Apply again and again don't be afraid to put your self out there if you don't try you can't succeed.
She is right! For me, I did not know what the disney college program was when I started community college at Blinn in Bryan, Texas. One day, I was walking with a friend at Texas A7M University and saw a flyer.. We thought it was cool and we wanted to know more becasue both of us like Disney So much.

The meeting was in Rudder Tower and it was crap pack with a lot of people wanted to know more about the program. They give out like door prizes and shows us a video about the program. This was in 2009 and the sign ups were for Spring or 2010.

I been trying for the past 4 years trying to get into the program of the Disney College. Every time I apply.. I pass the application process, finish the web base interview and had my phone interview.

I never made it pass this point for four years and eight semesters of trying. I never lost hope and now I am graduating community college. I tryed one last time and I finally have gotten in.

ALL THOSE BOOT LETTERS are going to be put in a shawdow box and with the one acceptence letter in the middle.

NEVER LOOSE HOPE!
Old 11-22-2013, 06:08 AM   #20
sephorachick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vovo2013 View Post
She is right! For me, I did not know what the disney college program was when I started community college at Blinn in Bryan, Texas. One day, I was walking with a friend at Texas A7M University and saw a flyer.. We thought it was cool and we wanted to know more becasue both of us like Disney So much.

The meeting was in Rudder Tower and it was crap pack with a lot of people wanted to know more about the program. They give out like door prizes and shows us a video about the program. This was in 2009 and the sign ups were for Spring or 2010.

I been trying for the past 4 years trying to get into the program of the Disney College. Every time I apply.. I pass the application process, finish the web base interview and had my phone interview.

I never made it pass this point for four years and eight semesters of trying. I never lost hope and now I am graduating community college. I tryed one last time and I finally have gotten in.

ALL THOSE BOOT LETTERS are going to be put in a shawdow box and with the one acceptence letter in the middle.

NEVER LOOSE HOPE!
What a great story! Congrats! What role did you get?

Me: Husband: Pacey Minnie Vicky Ginger

Check out my Disney blog!
www.yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blogspot.com
Today's entry is on Disney's Stir fry beef & broccoli recipe & review .

Facebook page for my Disney blog! Please "LIKE"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yohoyo...99050306822131
sephorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:10 AM   #21
dreamerjlee
Mouseketeer

if at first you don't succeed try and try again

Yay for you Vovo. It is hard to keep trying at something that you keep getting rejected from. But, persistence pays off, I am here in China becoming Foreign Trainer for Disney English, and I am one of the better paid in my group. I have had a lot of experience working to get to the point where I am at and I am ready to go. Today I went through traditions for the second time and got a second little toy/prize so keep working and bettering your self as a whole person and you can't lose.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #22
pitterpint23
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDad
The following were all CC kids
My S (Spr Adv 2011) QSFB
My D (Spr Adv 2014) QSFB
My D's BF (Spr Adv 2014) QSFB

They all requested QSFB, Attractions, Merchandising, Hotel operations.

I believe
Adv increases your chances
Custodial, QSFB, Merchandising (in that order) increases your chances
I was spring 2010. Merch, attractions and other hotel operations.

Honestly it depends where they need people who haven't extended or stayed.
pitterpint23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #23
Brer Goose
Earning My Ears

Your School doesn't matter, It's only to to make sure you are a college kid and what they need to put on your name tag if you are selected. I have friends who have tried time after time for WDW CP and then get in on their first try for DLR CP. For me, I applied the last week of the application period and got into DLR CP, then that carried me into WDW CP. They are looking for certain things in each set of questions depending on what they're looking for that year. Also Majors could play a little role in it, just incase they don't have enough engineers who would fill up their engineering class, they might hold out for engineers or another kind of major. If you are dire to get in, tell them you are the best worker and say yes to every single position. if you do this though, don't quit halfway through. From the kids we had checked in from may, only 25% of them are still here. This program isn't all fluff and easy, but if you can survive through it, it is a great experience.
Brer Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #24
khancock
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brer Goose View Post
From the kids we had checked in from may, only 25% of them are still here.
Source of data? Something from an official source that we can all see and verify, please. Not a "I was told" or "I heard".

That seems just a bit exaggerated.
khancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #25
TedMosby
Earning My Ears

Quote:
From the kids we had checked in from may, only 25% of them are still here. This program isn't all fluff and easy, but if you can survive through it, it is a great experience.
I'm doing the program right now and I'm pretty sure you're exaggerating. Judging by the line for the Thanksgiving housing event I'd say most people are still here.

Worth mentioning that I'm a CC student and got accepted two days after I applied. It has nothing to do with what school you attend.
TedMosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #26
BadDad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitterpint23 View Post
I was spring 2010. Merch, attractions and other hotel operations.

Honestly it depends where they need people who haven't extended or stayed.
I agree 100%, the problem is when you apply you don't exactly know what they need.
BadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:47 AM   #27
Cicero10
Mouseketeer

Sorry to hear. That really sucks. I could only imagine how depressed and sad I'd be. It's been an official year now that I've been looking forward to partaking in the program. I'm a senior in HS, so maybe another 1 1/2 years before I can even consider going.
Cicero10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #28
Musings
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Your School doesn't matter, It's only to to make sure you are a college kid and what they need to put on your name tag if you are selected. I have friends who have tried time after time for WDW CP and then get in on their first try for DLR CP. For me, I applied the last week of the application period and got into DLR CP, then that carried me into WDW CP. They are looking for certain things in each set of questions depending on what they're looking for that year. Also Majors could play a little role in it, just incase they don't have enough engineers who would fill up their engineering class, they might hold out for engineers or another kind of major. If you are dire to get in, tell them you are the best worker and say yes to every single position. if you do this though, don't quit halfway through. From the kids we had checked in from may, only 25% of them are still here. This program isn't all fluff and easy, but if you can survive through it, it is a great experience.
Please don't overexaggerate. 25% is nowhere near the truth. There is a high turnover rate but it is not that high. I worked at the Emporium and while we did have one out of maybe 40 CPs quit, and I have seen a lot of people end up leaving, that wasn't the case.

Disney doesn't discriminate against people, but it does make sense they're creating a more efficient process. The number of applications goes up every year, they need a way to process them. The more competition means the more selective they're going to be.

That being said - I was accepted and I chose NO interest in QSFB and custodial. Do NOT put interest down in something you could not stand to do for 6 months. The college program is difficult but it is not worth going if you will be miserable in your role your entire time. Stay true to who you are.

To the person who said that someone being overexcited could scare away the interviewers - that is not true. Excitement is what they look for. The real question is is excitement realistic? Do you understand what involves? Or are you blinded by the allure of Disney? They look for people who are realistic.

I took a practical standpoint in my interview and received an offer 2 days later.
Musings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #29
mandyyyrose
Earning My Ears

The fact is, posting here will get you lots of opinions but no official answer. None of us work for recruiting, so none of us really know why someone got in or someone didnt. I highly doubt it has anything to to with cc/university though. I've seen plenty of uni applicants get denied. Work on improving your skills and your resume, and best of luck to you next time.
Art of Animation January 2015 for my first RunDisney!
First 1/2 marathon this summer

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
mandyyyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #30
Musings
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyyyrose View Post
The fact is, posting here will get you lots of opinions but no official answer. None of us work for recruiting, so none of us really know why someone got in or someone didnt. I highly doubt it has anything to to with cc/university though. I've seen plenty of uni applicants get denied. Work on improving your skills and your resume, and best of luck to you next time.

The other thing is not to take it personally. They have thousands of applicants and they're all qualified. Hiring is subjective and sometimes someone just says something right in the interview. You just have to keep trying. This is just a standard rule in job hunting.
Musings is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
college, disney, program, rejected

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: