DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
DisneyMarv
Mouseketeer

buying DVC as a Florida Resident

can i get some insights on buying DVC as a Florida Resident i usually go to Disney World about 4 times a year and usually spend a lot on Deluxe Resorts ? thinking of going the route of purchasing a 100 point contract for AKV and just lowering the trips down to two trips per year ?
“Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”

DisneyMarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:03 PM   #2
DVC Dude
Disney World Rocks!

It is a great perk for Florida residents as they can plan last minute trips and drive up there with a day or two notice and not have to book flights. Also, you will have your own car to get around.

DVC is a great value but you have to realize that you will have much more options if you book at 7 months out than a few weeks.

I do have business in Orlando all the time and I often will book a few nights at a DVC over staying at a local Orlando hotel and it really is a good value. I usually book at the 1 or 2 month mark and have been pleased with the options.

The real questions for you are:

1. Do you like AKV the best and if so the only advantage is to get the 11 month reservation window as all DVC points are equal at 7 months.

2. If you plan trips at the last few months, then I would suggest SSR or BLT as the annual dues are lower than AKV, but the price for BLT will be much higher than SSR.

3. I would advise buying resale as the benefit for developer (i.e. DCL, adventures, etc) are not really worth the extra expense.

4. Are you sure 100 points is enough?
DVC Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2013, 05:54 AM   #3
JimC
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

When we moved to Orlando in 2006 we thought we might sell our DVC. Gave it a year to settle in and ended up buying more points. We visit often for "day" trips to see a concert or some other special event or just enjoy a park for a few hours. But we still enjoy overnight and extended stays on property. And as the prior poster said, no airline required and you have your own car.

Even Florida residents should buy based on what is most important to them -- location, theme, cost of ownership, need for booking advantage (particularly for type of accommodation, location and time of year).

We own at AKV and go every year to that resort.
WDW - All Star Movies (Fantasia), Animal Kingdom Lodge (3), Animal Kingdom Villas (Jambo House-2, Kidani Village-5), Bay Lake Towers (7), Beach Club, Beach Club Villas (8), Boardwalk Villas, Contemporary (2), Caribbean Beach (Aruba-2, Jamaica-2), Coronado Springs (Casitas-3), Dixie Landings (Bayou), Disney Institute (Villas-3), Grand Floridian (Sago Cay), Old Key West (5), Polynesian (Figi), Port Orleans, Saratoga Springs (Carousel, Congress Park, Grandstand-2, Paddock, Springs, Treehouse Villas), Villas at Grand Floridian, Villas at Wilderness Lodge (4), Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, Other (Cypress Harbour-6, Doubletree Castle, Renaissance WorldGate, Village [Royal Plaza, Pickett Suite])
DCL - Dream (2/11 4, 10/11 3, 2/12 4, 5/13 4, 5/14 4), Fantasy (11/13 Eastern), Magic (6/99 4, 5/05 Panama Canal, 9/08 5, 11/10 Eastern, 10/11 Western), Wonder (12/06 4, 9/09 4, 5/12 Alaska)
DL - Grand Californian (4), Villas Grand Californian (3), Marriott
Other DVC - Hilton Head, Vero Beach (6)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #4
samfsu
Earning My Ears

We go to Disney 3-4 times a year and have done this for the past 10 yrs. DW is a Dis fanatic and my daughters now have become the same.

We toyed with buying DVC 6-7 yrs ago and have thought about it throughout the past few years. We have not done it because we always could get FL resident rates or PH rates. But even these rates have been steadily increasing over the last few years and what we spend to stay at a value or moderate is now what we will be spending (amortized over the contract life) with buying into SSR. Granted we got a great deal (i think $60/ppt is a great deal). And if you stay in a 1 bedroom you have the advantage of making some meals (likely just breakfast since a vacation isnt a vacation if we are cooking and cleaning).

We figure we are fine staying at SSR or AKV or anything that is available 7 months out or 1 month out or a week or two out.

I have looked at the dvcapp.com and have seen you can get stays a month or even a few weeks out if you are flexible with the resort (usually ssr or akv).

We bought 250 pts and figure we will average around 10-14 days a year depending on where we stay and what type of accommodation.
samfsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
Docmom
Mouseketeer

We're Florida residents and AKL owners. We have 220 points and would eventually like more! We can stay about 6-7 days on our points in a 1 bedroom villa which is our preference with 2 kids. Our schedules are very flexible so it's easier to go midweek for 2-3 nights at a time. We haven't had much difficulty getting reservations even at under a month out. We were very lucky and got 2 nights at VWL the weekend after 4th of July about a week prior, and 2 nights in early October at BCV about 2-3 weeks prior. I know those are rare but if you are flexible it's great! Being able to drive is another huge benefit because we bring food with us. If you can plan ahead, the value rooms at AKL will stretch your points a lot.
Docmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
DisneyMarv
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samfsu View Post
We go to Disney 3-4 times a year and have done this for the past 10 yrs. DW is a Dis fanatic and my daughters now have become the same.

We toyed with buying DVC 6-7 yrs ago and have thought about it throughout the past few years. We have not done it because we always could get FL resident rates or PH rates. But even these rates have been steadily increasing over the last few years and what we spend to stay at a value or moderate is now what we will be spending (amortized over the contract life) with buying into SSR. Granted we got a great deal (i think $60/ppt is a great deal). And if you stay in a 1 bedroom you have the advantage of making some meals (likely just breakfast since a vacation isnt a vacation if we are cooking and cleaning).

We figure we are fine staying at SSR or AKV or anything that is available 7 months out or 1 month out or a week or two out.

I have looked at the dvcapp.com and have seen you can get stays a month or even a few weeks out if you are flexible with the resort (usually ssr or akv).

We bought 250 pts and figure we will average around 10-14 days a year depending on where we stay and what type of accommodation.
i am with you on this i have always used the FL-Residents special offers and Annual Pass- Offers, my trips are really never planned i just usually randomly go the only times i plan the trip is for Mickeys Not So Scary so basically i would be looking for availabilty 1 month out or so. But I've been on the verge of buying in for years now starting with a small contract then taking it from there.
“Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”

Old 11-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

DH is planning to retire to FL and we've no plans to give up our DVC. After all, the DVC is just a discounted room - we'll still need the FL ticket discounts.

AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #8
samfsu
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMarv View Post
i am with you on this i have always used the FL-Residents special offers and Annual Pass- Offers, my trips are really never planned i just usually randomly go the only times i plan the trip is for Mickeys Not So Scary so basically i would be looking for availabilty 1 month out or so. But I've been on the verge of buying in for years now starting with a small contract then taking it from there.
I just searched for any studio available and there is a studio at BCV for wed and thur night. SO you can find stays within the next week, you just need to be flexible.

SSR has Sun-Wed dec 1-4 available too.

the next sat night stay i found is 1/4 and sat and sun are available at akv. there are also plenty of night stays if you want a day during the week.

So you can make "last minute" reservations if you are flexible.
samfsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:53 AM   #9
OKWJan
Mouseketeer

We were DVC owners long before we moved to FL, but now, even living 15 minutes from the parks, we still use our DVC points. We use it when friends and family comes, we went to Aulani, and we now have a place at the beach "Vero" . Never too many points, even when you live here.
OKWJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #10
NoleFan
DIS Veteran

We are fl residents & love owning DVC. Resort prices have gone up & are quite costly with limited availability during school break times. We also love staying on property. We plan our trips ahead mostly for home resort advantage but like to be able do last minute trips, too.
NoleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #11
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

Been trying to respond for two days .
3rd generation native FL. Been here long before Walt even started looking for a place for WDW. Started going to MK in '71, went 13 times the first year of EPCOT.
DW and I consider DVC to be our 2nd best investment. We have made so many memories that we never would of had the chance to make if not for DVC. Taking vacations that we never would of been able to afford without DVC.
7 DCLs - 6 using DVC points
Doral in Miami (Played the Blue Monster)
Grove Park Inn in Asheville, NC (Different view from the top of the mountain)

Making day trips to DTD, then on a moment notice call the resort directly (back before MS was open on Sundays) and book a night stay.

Last edited by com_op_2000; 11-29-2013 at 06:17 AM.
com_op_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
DisneyMarv
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_op_2000 View Post
Been trying to respond for two days .
3rd generation native FL. Been here long before Walt even started looking for a place for WDW. Started going to MK in '71, went 13 times the first year of EPCOT.
DW and I consider DVC to be our 2nd best investment. We have made so many memories that we never would of had the chance to make if not fo DVC. Taking vacations that we never would of been able to afford without DVC.
7 DCLs - 6 using DVC points
Doral in Miami (Played the Blue Monster)
Grove Park Inn in Asheville, NC (Different view from the top of the mountain)

Making day trips to DTD, then on a moment notice call the resort directly (back before MS was open on Sundays) and book a night stay.
thank you all for the responses i am really looking forward to buying into DVC as a Florida Resident i would of thought of getting hit with negative respond since i lived in Florida but i guess choosing to go into DVC as a Florida Resident has its perks.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

To me, buying as a Florida resident is sort of a mixed bag -- with both pros and cons. We already get a lot of discounts as Florida residents, including several good ones DVC owners don't get.

Purely for WDW DVC visits, I think DVC can work well for Florida residents as long as you are flexible, and are not trying to get a reservation during a peak time. You will have to be flexible as to resort, and if your dates are flexible, that will be a plus.

You can't count on last minute reservations, but if you don't get them you just don't go those dates. We have gotten VERY last minute reservations, including New Years Eve at SSR two years in a row less than two weeks out. With the flexibility of being able to drive up from Miami, you will have much better luck with last minute than members who have to fly in.

For busy periods and specific accommodations (GV's, multiple rooms, etc for family trips), you will still have to plan ahead like everyone else.

For non-WDW trips, including cruises, there are many better options than DVC...both in the timeshare world and just plain old cash. DVC is very limited outside of WDW.

For that reason, if you are interested in buying AKV, I would certainly buy resale and save huge bucks. The non-DVC options aren't worth paying almost double for, IMHO.

I would also take a detailed look at the per-night points costs and be sure you will be getting the accommodations you want, for the number of nights you want, for 100 points. 100 points is not a lot of points, especially for two trips a year.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #14
DisneyMarv
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
To me, buying as a Florida resident is sort of a mixed bag -- with both pros and cons. We already get a lot of discounts as Florida residents, including several good ones DVC owners don't get.

Purely for WDW DVC visits, I think DVC can work well for Florida residents as long as you are flexible, and are not trying to get a reservation during a peak time. You will have to be flexible as to resort, and if your dates are flexible, that will be a plus.

You can't count on last minute reservations, but if you don't get them you just don't go those dates. We have gotten VERY last minute reservations, including New Years Eve at SSR two years in a row less than two weeks out. With the flexibility of being able to drive up from Miami, you will have much better luck with last minute than members who have to fly in.

For busy periods and specific accommodations (GV's, multiple rooms, etc for family trips), you will still have to plan ahead like everyone else.

For non-WDW trips, including cruises, there are many better options than DVC...both in the timeshare world and just plain old cash. DVC is very limited outside of WDW.

For that reason, if you are interested in buying AKV, I would certainly buy resale and save huge bucks. The non-DVC options aren't worth paying almost double for, IMHO.

I would also take a detailed look at the per-night points costs and be sure you will be getting the accommodations you want, for the number of nights you want, for 100 points. 100 points is not a lot of points, especially for two trips a year.

you're right about the 100 points but one thing i dislike about resale is having to find mostly all contracts stripped from their points which yeah you can save a lot of resale but the contracts are not loaded with good amount of points.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:17 PM   #15
ptlohmysoul
Mouseketeer

Being so close, and if you desire last minute availability, you can rent for cheaper than owning. So many people have last minute "sales" for under $9/point. Of course, that means not being picky about the room either. I've seen people recently rent for $7/point, way cheaper than owning. However, with owning, you can feel more "in control." Also, if you own a small contract, you can also rent those cheap points to supplement your in-advance planned vacations with specific room/resorts.
ptlohmysoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: