Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
boxer
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 1,229

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

First Time at PBH--LOVED It

We've been back for a couple weeks now, but I'm just now getting around to posting my review of the Portifino Bay Hotel. We LOVED LOVED this hotel--everything from the room size, Sal's, pool, etc. Did I say the room size was awesome?!?!?! We went to the WL as the second leg of our vacation, and the rooms were not even close--and I say this as a Disney die-hard.

I will say that it is definately a different vibe being at PBH than a Disney hotel (WL, BC, etc), but it is a nice change. I think that we still prefer to be on Disney property for the larger part of our trip (just for the atmosphere), but the PBH is absolutely on the same level as Beach Club, Poly, and some of the other deluxes we've stayed in.

I saw some posts on here about the PBH declining, but I did not see even anything close to that on our trip. We were surprised how much we loved this resort. If we could only get some of that Disney atmosphere at the PBH, we would never stay anywhere else!
__________________


boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
RMulieri
DIS Veteran
 
RMulieri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Tom Sawyers Island
Posts: 20,822

YAY
PBH is our favorite.I am already booked there for December 2014 for our 3rd time onsite.Honestly after my 1st trip, I didnt miss Disney at all
__________________
Going Back to the DarkSide -Universal Orlando and the Harry Potter Expansion January 2015
RMulieri is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
lexie32
DIS Veteran
 
lexie32's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: buckinghamshire, england
Posts: 723

Thankyou for the positive review, we are booked there for a week in May and I was starting to worry.
__________________
Various fly-drive - Feb 1998 Quality Inn Plaza I Drive - May 2003 Wyndham Orlando / HRH - May 2004 Windsor Palms Villa -Sept 2005 Windsor Hills Villa - Apr/May 2007Windsor hills villa / HRH -May 2008 Cypress Pointe/ Wilderness Lodge /Sarasota - May2009 Cypress Pointe/ Yacht Club/ Bradenton Villa - May 2010 Sunset lakes Villa -may/june2011 Yacht Club & Animal Kingdom Lodge- May/June 2012 Sheraton VV WDW Yacht club and HRH May/June 2013Hilton Bonnet Creek Renaisannce SeaWorld and Portifino Bay hotel May 2014
lexie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
boxer
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 1,229

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexie32 View Post
Thankyou for the positive review, we are booked there for a week in May and I was starting to worry.
You will LOVE it! I posted this because I get sick of seeing the posts complaining about the smallest issues, and in turn making people nervous for their upcoming trips. I was in your place last month, and came extremely close to cancelling based from the compliants of people on a messageboard.

The resort is beautiful.....and we still miss sleeping in those beds (they are awesome).
__________________


boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
wiigirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15,974

Thank you for the review...
__________________
For the love of Disney...
wiigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
3angelsmom
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 228

Thank you for the review. We are leaving in a few days and I can barely wait!
Can you explain what you mean by it having a different vibe or atmosphere than Disney? An example? Just curious. We've stayed at AKL Kidani and BLT but never at UO.
3angelsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #7
boxer
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 1,229

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3angelsmom View Post
Thank you for the review. We are leaving in a few days and I can barely wait!
Can you explain what you mean by it having a different vibe or atmosphere than Disney? An example? Just curious. We've stayed at AKL Kidani and BLT but never at UO.
Its VERY quiet and peaceful--not the usual hustle-and-bustle of a Disney resort. We usually stay at the Beach Club, and there is something going on all the time, and the lobby is always buzzing. At PBH, you do not have that, as you only see a few people each day. Even the pool only had a handful of people each day, even with the 80 degree weather.

As much as I hate to admit it, I sort of did miss that Beach Club buzz, but at the same time it was really nice to stay at a peaceful place for a few days. You will love this place though, as it has a feel unlike anything else at Disney. I still love Disney, but this place is a very, very close 2nd.
__________________


boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #8
RMulieri
DIS Veteran
 
RMulieri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Tom Sawyers Island
Posts: 20,822

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer View Post
Its VERY quiet and peaceful--not the usual hustle-and-bustle of a Disney resort. We usually stay at the Beach Club, and there is something going on all the time, and the lobby is always buzzing. At PBH, you do not have that, as you only see a few people each day. Even the pool only had a handful of people each day, even with the 80 degree weather.

As much as I hate to admit it, I sort of did miss that Beach Club buzz, but at the same time it was really nice to stay at a peaceful place for a few days. You will love this place though, as it has a feel unlike anything else at Disney. I still love Disney, but this place is a very, very close 2nd.
I am usually a BC resort person too, but after staying PBH I won't be back to BC anytime soon.I loved how quiet PBH was,though on the weekends the pool area was lively with a poolside DJ .We also enjoyed the movies by the pool and the pool activities during the day ( we were there in August).It wasnt as insane as stormalong bay.
__________________
Going Back to the DarkSide -Universal Orlando and the Harry Potter Expansion January 2015
RMulieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!
 
damo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Hagrid's hut
Posts: 29,790

The next time you go back, you won't notice the missing activity. It is one of those things that just takes a bit of getting used to.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #10
crazyfordisney2000
DIS Veteran
 
crazyfordisney2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 1,054

Great review! We have recently booked our first trip to Universal and we chose PBH. My question/concern is transportation. We are going in August, so I fear the boat being shut down. I think I read there was bus transportation, is it clearly marked/ easy to find? TIA
__________________
crazyfordisney2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:04 PM   #11
michashell
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 83

I have a few questions for you. We are also Disney veterans and this will be our first Universal trip.

1. Were you there for the kids eat free promo at the on-site resorts. I'm really not clear on how this works or if it's just for the table service restaurants.

2. Did you walk from PBH to the parks. I was wondering how long it took. We have a 6 and 4 year old (he will be in a stroller).

Thanks so much!
michashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:41 PM   #12
Gator Kate

DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 655

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfordisney2000 View Post
Great review! We have recently booked our first trip to Universal and we chose PBH. My question/concern is transportation. We are going in August, so I fear the boat being shut down. I think I read there was bus transportation, is it clearly marked/ easy to find? TIA
Why do you think the boat wouldn't be running? We've stayed at the Portofino since it opened and never had a problem.
__________________
Good day,
Kate
Gator Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:05 AM   #13
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie
 
macraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)
Posts: 56,707

only time the boats shut down is when lightening is within a 5 mile range.
__________________
life is what happens to you on your way to achieving your dreams...........

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #14
boxer
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 1,229

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by michashell View Post
I have a few questions for you. We are also Disney veterans and this will be our first Universal trip.

1. Were you there for the kids eat free promo at the on-site resorts. I'm really not clear on how this works or if it's just for the table service restaurants.

2. Did you walk from PBH to the parks. I was wondering how long it took. We have a 6 and 4 year old (he will be in a stroller).

Thanks so much!
I think the Kids Eat Free Promo is ONLY for off-site hotels, and not the PBH (US veterans please correct me if I'm wrong). There is a Meal Plan for on-site guests that US offers, but it is more 'quick service', and we wanted to do more table service since we don't see the US resturants often (by the way Bubba Gumps was awesome).

As for the walking, we did not even attempt to walk since our room was so close to the boat docks. We never waited more than 5-10min for a boat, so it would have been useless to walk. The boat ride was great anyhow, so we didn't lose much time. PLUS, you have the FOTL pass, so its not like you are trying to 'beat' any lines at the parks.

You will LOVE PBH and the parks!! We were very pleasantly surprised.
__________________


boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #15
crazyfordisney2000
DIS Veteran
 
crazyfordisney2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 1,054

Quote:
Why do you think the boat wouldn't be running? We've stayed at the Portofino since it opened and never had a problem.
When we have previously gone to Disney (same time of year) we stayed at POFQ and twice the boat was shut down due to thunderstorms in the area, so I just wondered if busses run to replace the boats if/when this happens, and if so, are the bus stops are obvious/easy to find.
__________________
crazyfordisney2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.