Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 05:57 AM   #1
DisneyBratSteph
Earning My Ears
 
DisneyBratSteph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2

Dating & Disney

I'm 22 from Massachusetts & it is almost impossible to find someone to date that will tolerate my Disney Parks obsession. I feel like Disney & Dating is easier if you live near Orlando or Anaheim. Does anyone else have this problem? I don't even think I'm that intense about it, but people just don't want to hear about what makes me incredibly happy. I've even gone so far that I tried this fake disney dating website. Ugh. Help?
DisneyBratSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
pieface
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Jarrettsville MD
Posts: 483

Hang in there or move to Maryland there are plenty of young men down here that love Disney. It's funny my son required his now wife to love Disney.
pieface is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
JandJ
If I close my mind in fear . . . Please pry it open
I had a very productive day ... yesterday
 
JandJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 2,981

It's hard to meet people no matter where you live or what your interests are. Best bet is to meet friends of your friends (and friends of those friends). All of my friends knew my Disney obsessiveness and knew I wanted to get married there. My now-husband was friends with my best friend's friend and one day he and I got together. Yes, we both grew up in Florida and so we'd both been to Disney many, many times, but it wasn't as big a deal to him as it was to me. I lived in Orlando and he lived 2 hours away and once we were officially dating he got a Disney Pass and every weekend he visited we went to Disney. He grew to understand my love of it, even if he never fully embraced it himself, and we were married at Disney.

Don't jump right in with "I LOVE DISNEY!" As with anything in a new relationship, get to know each other before sharing all of your personal obsessions. Share slowly. You can mention that you love to travel to Disney World but since you can't go that often you like to have Disney things, watch the movies, whatever it may be. Maybe he went as a kid or has gone as an adult and has good memories about it. He likely won't be as Disney-obsessed as you (after all, you're on the DIS!) but if he likes everything else about you, he'll like that too. If he doesn't . . . move on. At 22 you have a lot of time to find Mr. Right
__________________
Married at Disney's Wilderness Lodge Resort / Sunrise Terrace / October 2005

All that I am or ever hope to be I owe to my angel Mother (1940 - 2005) Daddy's little girl (1933 - 2008)

Egypt, Mexico, Belize, Honduras, 7 Caribbean islands, England, France, Italy, Holland, Belgium, 12 states, DC - check! Where to next??
JandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
wiigirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15,974

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieface View Post
Hang in there or move to Maryland there are plenty of young men down here that love Disney. It's funny my son required his now wife to love Disney.
__________________
For the love of Disney...
wiigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
Dvcmbr09
Mouseketeer
 
Dvcmbr09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Just moved to CT
Posts: 102

I know you have bad luck with the fake disney dating site, but I met my Prince Charming on disdates.com! I never thought I could find someone that understood my disney obsession, never mind actual love disney more then me, lol.
Dvcmbr09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:08 PM   #6
Maverick0980
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 124

I'd suggest not starting off with your Disney obsession. Just slowly and casually bring it in the more you see them.
When I first met my wife, I was at the age where I felt disenfranchised with Disney. They were just a part of my childhood I needed to just keep in the past. Then as I got to know her I realized how nuts about Disney she was but I knew her enough that I still liked her and knew that a Disney obsession wasn't that bad. But the more we dated and then eventually got married, I slowly started to fall back in love with everything.
It was all cemented when she booked us a trip to Disneyland in 2006. I had never been there before in my life. It was an eye opener, it totally unlocked every fond Disney memory I ever had and turned me into a Disney nut. We went again in 2011 and now that since then we've added a little bundle of joy to the mix we can't wait to take him for the first time. He's already been introduced to over half our Disney movie collection.
Maverick0980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
nkereina
Wendy Darling
 
nkereina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 6,734

My fiance had never been to Disney when we met. I took him for the first time and he instantly became obsessed like me. Finding someone who knows little about Disney may bode well for you, because its something you can introduce him to and bond over. Thats what happened with us. Good luck!
nkereina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:46 AM   #8
pitterpint23
Mouseketeer
 
pitterpint23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 365

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBratSteph
I'm 22 from Massachusetts & it is almost impossible to find someone to date that will tolerate my Disney Parks obsession. I feel like Disney & Dating is easier if you live near Orlando or Anaheim. Does anyone else have this problem? I don't even think I'm that intense about it, but people just don't want to hear about what makes me incredibly happy. I've even gone so far that I tried this fake disney dating website. Ugh. Help?
Girl, I am in the same boat.
pitterpint23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:47 AM   #9
pitterpint23
Mouseketeer
 
pitterpint23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvcmbr09
I know you have bad luck with the fake disney dating site, but I met my Prince Charming on disdates.com! I never thought I could find someone that understood my disney obsession, never mind actual love disney more then me, lol.
Really??? Trying this now.
pitterpint23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #10
Luv0fDisney
DIS Veteran
 
Luv0fDisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 901

I have trouble making friends in general. I'm 27 years old and have no friends and never had a boyfriend. I just feel like the Odd person out.

I was thinking perhaps we should come up with a Disney dating website like eharmony or match.com lol.

But online dating can be dangerous as well. I don't know how to meet people. I have tried meetup.com and really never fit in as well....even with people my own age.

So i'm with you with meeting people...
__________________


Check out my 2014 Pre-Trip Report
Wish It Was May

Check me out on Pinterest!
Luv0fDisney's Pinterest

Luv0fDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #11
SaveTonight
Earning My Ears
 
SaveTonight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv0fDisney View Post
I have trouble making friends in general. I'm 27 years old and have no friends and never had a boyfriend. I just feel like the Odd person out.

I was thinking perhaps we should come up with a Disney dating website like eharmony or match.com lol.

But online dating can be dangerous as well. I don't know how to meet people. I have tried meetup.com and really never fit in as well....even with people my own age.

So i'm with you with meeting people...
Actually disdates.com already does that. And it's free. I'm on that, it's not very active though.
SaveTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.