Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #46
MLinDisney
Mouseketeer

I saw this article in this morning's paper about a new way to trap/kill bedbugs. Maybe we will soon be packing this in our suitcases!!

Bedbug trap

That is from Newsday, from which some of you may be blocked. Here is an article from Stonybrook University about how it was developed.
Bedbug trap
MLinDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #47
MrsUqdah
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
Then do not go. Most people that posted either brought them with them or wanted something to complain about. You do know there are crocodiles in Disney, right? There is something to worry about.
LOL @crocodiles
MrsUqdah is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #48
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsUqdah View Post
LOL @crocodiles
Really!!
Resurrecting after all these months
Old 11-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #49
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsUqdah View Post
LOL @crocodiles
You never know. One might have hitchhiked from south Florida.

Ofinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #50
BamaDisneyBoy
Earning My Ears

n/m
BamaDisneyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #51
KCrystal
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy&Dan View Post
And yes I have seen alligators, a few snakes, love bugs and Lord knows what else but I keep going back and those critters are still not that common for me to see in my roughly 20 trips to WDW!

Go and have fun.
My parents and younger sisters went a few years ago and stayed at All Stars and actually had an armadillo that roamed around the building they were in! They named him Stanley or something equally as strange Hoping we get to see one in April
Old 11-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #52
crystaltink
Mouseketeer

It's funny that I run across this topic today. On my way home from work this afternoon I was listening to talk radio and the topic was bed bugs. Apparently, the USA has seen a surge in bed bugs especially in the higher end hotels because the hotels are going green. It is extremely important that the hotels wash with hot water and bleach the linens. The "green" hotels use environmentally friendly products to clean with, and while the cleaners won't harm the environment, they also won't kill the bugs.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #53
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I don't think it has to do with hotels trying to be green as much as it has to do with the one chemical that worked the best at killing bed bugs has been banned from use.

It makes me happy when hotels try to be more environmentally friendly, if that means not using harsh chemicals on the sheets or just having temperature controls in the rooms or more efficient lighting. Hopefully someone somewhere will come up with a way to kill bedbugs that is friendly to us and the environment.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #54
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #55
kittyab
Mouseketeer

A friend of mine stayed at the Comtempory Resort and she came home with bed bugs. WDW paid for all her expenses and gave her free passes for her next visit.
kittyab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #56
KathyFP
You mean there is more to the song than, "It's a Small World blah blah blah"?
My nephew told everyone that he stuffed the turkey's butt
Now it's crystal light ice tea by the gallon

I recently had to return home early from a business trip because of bed bugs. I stayed at a nicer hotel in the suburban area of Chicago. I required medical care for the inflammation. I have been home for almost a week and I did not bring any home with me

They can happen anywhere - even with my recent incident of bedbugs, I am still going to Disney next month.

I am researching to find more effective detection method or tool.

AKL 10/12/01 - 10/22/01 DL 12/28/06 - 1/31/06
Off site 12/27/0- - 1/3/02 DCL 12/20/08 - 12/27/08
CSR 10/28/03 - 11/05/03 DL 9/04/09 - 9/08/09
CSR 12/23/04 - 01/01/05 Off Site 12/26/12 - 1/7/13
Off Site 1/01/05 - 01/08/05 CB 12/18/13 - 12/24/13
POP 12/12/05 - 12/20/05
KathyFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:37 PM   #57
Kasiks
DIS Veteran

I never heard about bedbugs before reading comments about hotels on the internet, we should be going to orlando in May. I will learn how to recognise those bugs but if you see any problems, does disneyworld change you of room without problem ?

Other than these and mosquitoes should we be aware of any other small animals that bite people ?

Thanks

Last edited by Kasiks; 03-22-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Kasiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:28 AM   #58
pampam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasiks View Post
I never heard about bedbugs before reading comments about hotels on the internet, we should be going to orlando in May. I will learn how to recognise those bugs but if you see any problems, does disneyworld change you of room without problem ?

Other than these and mosquitoes should we be aware of any other small animals that bite people ?

Thanks
In Florida, they have these ants that live in the grass . I believe they are called fire ants. Anyway, we are advised to stay off the grass to avoid these painful bites. That being said, there is hardly anyway you or I could walk on grass. The sidewalks and berms control pretty much where we walk, and you don't have to give it a second thought.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:43 AM   #59
Vivianne
Close enough to enjoy what Mass has to offer
I'm ready for a PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCrystal View Post
My parents and younger sisters went a few years ago and stayed at All Stars and actually had an armadillo that roamed around the building they were in! They named him Stanley or something equally as strange Hoping we get to see one in April
Stay away from those armadillo suckers they may carry leprosy. Look but don't touch

About the bedbugs check the seams of the mattress for dark spots (other people's dried blood) when you first get in the room You can also run the blow dryer on the mattress. They love heat especially body heat. If'd like you can keep your luggage wrapped up in large trash bags. Sure there's no guarantee in travel but it doesn't hurt to be careful. They can be costly to the tune of thousands if you bring them home.

Last edited by Vivianne; 03-23-2014 at 06:53 AM.
Vivianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:15 PM   #60
ToyStory3
DIS Veteran

I don't blame anyone for asking about bedbugs. Anyone who knows anything about them knows that you can spend thousands trying to get them out of your house.

I recently listened to a podcast about a family who had bedbugs in their Disney Resort. They said they were absolutely amazing about handling it. They bought them new clothes to wear around the park. Took everything they owned and had it cleaned thoroughly. Gave them a new room. And had all of their cleaned items delivered to them. They said it literally could not have been handled any better.

ToyStory3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: