Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #16
Lisann
Mouseketeer

So sorry the horn drove you nuts! )

I love the sound of the horn, and even hearing the MK train makes my heart sing! Maybe I haven't noticed it as much because we always book a garden view room. Maybe try that next time and see if it helps.

I've stayed at: Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk Inn, Beach Club, Yacht Club and Port Orleans Riverside, Dolphin.
Lisann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #17
carrie1626
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydweller View Post
Yes, they are required by licensing and regulation in the operation of a boat. They are standard boat signals used worldwide to warn other boaters of your movement and intentions.
Did OP think they were blowing the horn for fun
2000 NOV Polynesian 2001 OCT AS Music 2002 AUG Grosvenor DD 2003 AUG DoubleTree DD 2004 NOV Port Orleans French Quarter 2006 NOV POP Century 2010 AUG Animal KingdomLodge 2011 NOV Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 NOV HGVC Internat'l Dr 25th Anniversary trip 2013 DEC Pop/CBR next trip not soon enough
carrie1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #18
SyracuseWolvrine
Hockey Fanatic
Is he a bigger hockey fan than a Canadian?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFave View Post
Is the horn really THAT necessary?
Yes, it is. According to the US Coast Guard Navigation Rules (Rule 34, Section G)

Quote:
(g) When a power-driven vessel is leaving a dock or berth, she shall sound one prolonged blast.
Source: http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName...nt#rule32 $ 33
The opinions and comments in the above post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, policies or procedures of the Walt Disney Company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates, including but not limited to the Walt Disney World Resort and all areas contained therein. Any information or advice in the above post is subject to change at any time without notice. Tampering with, disabling, or destroying lavatory smoke detectors is prohibited. This post may contain nuts or be written by someone who is nuts. Void where prohibited. This post may not be reproduced without express written permission of the Commissioner of Baseball. The moving rubber line is moving at the same speed as you. Member FDIC.
SyracuseWolvrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #19
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

When we stayed at the Contemporary theme park view, the sounds were truly what made it special. The ferryboat and small FW/WL boat horns, the train whistle at MK, the monorail, all wonderful sounds. We always opened up the balcony doors to hear it all.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #20
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

Ever notice when the boat leave the dock there is 3 short toots.

That's telling other boats they are pulling out and to be alert.

Now only they can adopt the cruise ship horn and blow "when you wish upon a star.
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #21
scjo68
DIS Veteran

I agree with those who like the horn!

I still hear it in my memory of our Poly stay when we had a lagoon view in Tahiti.

As much as I enjoy our stays at other resorts, the horn sound just reminds me of our best room/view so far!
Aug. 2013 POP, Nov. 2013 CR, Aug. 2014 POP
scjo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #22
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1626 View Post
Did OP think they were blowing the horn for fun
Well, consider this question from the original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFave
Is the horn really THAT necessary?
It does appear the original poster was hoping the horn blasts aren't "that" necessary and could be reduced.
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #23
TeamSy
Mouseketeer

A few years ago we were at WL and ALL we heard was that horn! We went to switch rooms, but the hotel was sold out. We ended up changing hotels because it was so annoying!
Old 11-23-2013, 10:21 PM   #24
DisneyFave
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSy View Post
A few years ago we were at WL and ALL we heard was that horn! We went to switch rooms, but the hotel was sold out. We ended up changing hotels because it was so annoying!
I would have done the same if my stay was longer. I'm just really sound-sensitive I guess (and yet somehow ended up marrying a rock and roll guitarist!) Do you know if the garden-view rooms at any of the Epcot resorts are "safe" from consistent outer sounds?

2014 - Animal Kingdom Villas - Jambo House
2013 - Grand Floridian / Polynesian
2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
2010, 2012 - Hilton WDW
1996, 1998 - Dixie Landings / Poly
1993 - Holiday Inn

Last edited by DisneyFave; 11-23-2013 at 10:48 PM.
DisneyFave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:11 AM   #25
pampam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweettears View Post
I also on the side of loving the sounds. It's truly what keeps reminding me that I'm at Disney. I usually stay lagoon view at YC and sleep with the balcony door open so I can hear the sounds.

One of the best was a MK view at the GF. Every morning you could hear the wolf howl which signified Disney waking up to me.
I gotta say, this is a new one for me. Was it a recording or a real wolf? If it was a recording, what does a wolf have to do with the themeing of the GF?
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #26
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

As previously stated, its required by the rules of the road and to let other traffic know your arriving or leaving the dock.

That said, its part of the Disney tradition and they have used the same t9ones for years............when we hear them, we know we are at our 2nd home.......Disney!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #27
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFave View Post
I returned a few days ago from a great stay at the Poly. I stayed in Tuvalu in a lovely corner lagoon-view room. My, my, my, was that boat horn annoying! It started at 7am and didn't stop until 1am some nights! All I wanted to do was leave my sliding door open for the lovely breeze and the amazing view of the (top of) the castle, but that boat horn made it impossible. Is the horn really THAT necessary? It made me wish I'd booked a much less expensive garden view room.
Others have stated that the horn sounds are necessary and required. And with as many other watercraft in the area, I think we should be glad the big boats give lots of horn warnings to other pilots in the smaller devices. And yes, there are still other boats out there at 7:00 AM and 1:00 AM. They might be Disney employees but they need to know there are dangers of a large boat moving around.

That being said, there will be noise of some sort at just about every room in a Disney resort. Boat noises bother you but others are bothered by kids running and yelling, louder than normal conversations, Cast Members talking, elevators dinging, ice machines rumbling, housekeeping carts rolling, ducks quacking, music playing from Disney speakers. I think those are complaints I've heard over the years. The one I haven't heard is airplane noises but I'm sure someone is bothered by that darn Disney security helicopter flying around checking things out (the skywriter doesn't count because he's not really over Disney property).

So, if the boat noises bother you, you could request a room away from the water. You might have other noises but they might not be as bad as the boats.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #28
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

I'm also in the never bothered me and actually enjoyed hearing it camp. Never kept me awake or waken me once asleep. Didn't bother my wife, son or mother either.
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, All Star Music/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #29
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

My wife keeps complaining about noise at night. Constantly rolling over and poking me and says "quit your snoring"
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #30
Haley
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampam View Post
I gotta say, this is a new one for me. Was it a recording or a real wolf? If it was a recording, what does a wolf have to do with the themeing of the GF?
Lol they mean the howling wolf from the Haunted Mansion

We stayed in a theme park view room in Tahiti and I loved the boat horn! But we stayed up late- probably until midnight. It didn't wake us up in the morning- I only remember really hearing it outside.
Disney Trips: Ft Wilderness '83, Ft. Wilderness '91, ASM July'96, Boardwalk/DCL Magic July '98, CBR/DCL Wonder '00, DCL Magic '03, CBR July '04, CBR May '05, AKL Oct '05, Poly Dec '06, DCL Wonder '06, Beach Club May '07, DCL Wonder '07, Pop/AKL Oct '08 Engaged, Ft. Wild. May 09, Poly Oct 09 Honeymoon!, DCL Magic Nov '09, Pop Oct '10, AoA/BCV Oct '12, Pop Century Dec '13!
Haley is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: