Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2013, 11:16 PM   #226
DisneyGirlie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
Me - I am! My plan (subject to change as needed, of course), is to race the WDW Half (no stops, hopefully), race the 10K portion of the Glass Slipper Challenge (no stops), and take it very easy for the Princess Half (stopping for pics). I think that'll make for two very different races, even though they share the same course.
That would be an EXCELLENT idea if I were actually a legitimate runner. I'm still new to running and running an entire race without stopping at all is kind of like a "haha that's funny" joke to me. I think even if I were an extremely good long-distance runner, I would still be wanting to stop regardless. What got me so into running is that runDisney events are so fun along the way. I would be running for fun and not time regardless of my athletic abilities. But, to make for a different race experience, that sounds like a good idea if you can do it.

That being said, since the course isn't different, what is different between the PHM and the WDW Half? Just the theming?

Like I said, I'm new to the whole running thing and love to hear about others' experiences. I'll also be running the WDW Half and the PHM by myself, which makes me kind of sad if for no reason other than the lonely time before the start of the race. So if anyone on here would be interested in meeting up before either race, I'll be your buddy.
1994-2004 Off-site * Spring 2005 Caribbean Beach- Martinique * Spring 2006 All-Star Movies- Fantasia * Nov. 18- Nov. 24 2006 Pop Century- '50s * March 2nd-7th 2007 Pop Century- '80s * Oct. 12- Oct. 17th 2007 Pop Century- '60s * Feb. 2- Feb. 8th 2008 Polynesian- Hawaii*Sept. 27th-Oct. 3rd 2008 Grand Floridian- Boca Chica*Dec. 13- Dec 17th 2008 Port Orleans Riverside- Oak Manor*May 16- May 23rd 2009 Beach Club Resort*Aug. 10-Aug. 13th 2009 Pop Century- '50s.*Dec. 10- Dec. 13th 2009 Yacht Club Resort*March 6-10th 2010 Contemporary MK View*July 31st- Aug 7th 2010 Contemporary MK View
October 27-October 30 2010 Pop Century*Animal Kingdom Lodge- Dec. 11-16th 2010*June 8th-13th 2011 Coronado Springs- Cabanas.* Fall Advantage College Program 6/11-1/12*Boardwalk Inn August 2012*October 2012 All-Star Sports*January 2013 Port Orleans French Quarter*1/21/13-8/13 Spring Advantage College Program
DisneyGirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #227
Disneyland_emily
I soo need to get that
I *knew* there was a reason I still had faith in people
I can't sleep unless I say goodnight to Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyGirlie View Post

That being said, since the course isn't different, what is different between the PHM and the WDW Half? Just the theming?

Like I said, I'm new to the whole running thing and love to hear about others' experiences. I'll also be running the WDW Half and the PHM by myself, which makes me kind of sad if for no reason other than the lonely time before the start of the race. So if anyone on here would be interested in meeting up before either race, I'll be your buddy.
Honestly the main difference is the ratios of girls to boys and the different mile markers.. They do change most of the characters up but some are the same

and the best part (at least to me) You'll know where those mile markers are so IMO its easier to visualize 'just push yourself to around X corner and you'll be at mile 6 etc'

I'm doing the 10K and Half in Jan and the GSC for princess and am a rather slow runner (I hope to do 2:45 but itll prob be closer to 3/3:10 for the half) esp coming off the 10Ks the day before..
Register to remove

Old 11-13-2013, 11:30 PM   #228
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Anyone else following Galloway's "upright" plan and looking forward to the 11 miles this weekend?

2 months ago I did that amount before the taper for TOT, and I managed to map out a terrible route. Not only that but there was a huge thunderstorm right in the middle of it, thought I was a goner trying to get from the sidewalk to the safety of a Starbucks after the first lightning hit (2 miles away, it turned out, but it felt like it was right next to me) and then I froze inside the Starbucks waiting for the storm to pass. Took AGES to run.

I'm having a bit of PTSD-in-advance about the 11 miles, LOL.

On the other hand, this running thing is apparently becoming old news for me, because as I looked at the training plan I panicked, thinking "oh no I didn't do the 9.5!" Had to check my garmin, and there it was. I'd actually forgotten about running 9.5.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #229
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Thwarted! The kiddo is sick and DH is on a work trip. No run for me this weekend.

I'll have to amuse myself by checking rundisney for updates.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 11-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #230
belias21
DIS Dad's Club Member #717

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Anyone else following Galloway's "upright" plan and looking forward to the 11 miles this weekend? 2 months ago I did that amount before the taper for TOT, and I managed to map out a terrible route. Not only that but there was a huge thunderstorm right in the middle of it, thought I was a goner trying to get from the sidewalk to the safety of a Starbucks after the first lightning hit (2 miles away, it turned out, but it felt like it was right next to me) and then I froze inside the Starbucks waiting for the storm to pass. Took AGES to run. I'm having a bit of PTSD-in-advance about the 11 miles, LOL. On the other hand, this running thing is apparently becoming old news for me, because as I looked at the training plan I panicked, thinking "oh no I didn't do the 9.5!" Had to check my garmin, and there it was. I'd actually forgotten about running 9.5.
That's scary. Glad you were smart and ducked for cover!

I was following the "upright" plan but got a bit off schedule as I've been trying to juggle training with a relocation. It's been a challenge to say the least.
I ended up somewhat creating my own plan, so I'll basically be doing the two 30 min runs during the week and then just adding distance each week to the long weekend runs. I did 8 last week, I'll do 9 on Saturday and so on. There are even some bumps in that schedule too, but here's my plan...

Nov 23 - 9 miles
Nov 30 - I will actually be at WDW for vacation so who knows what I'll be doing
Dec 7 - running a local 10k, so 6.1 miles
Dec 14 - 10 miles
Dec 21 - 11.5 miles
Dec 28 - 13 miles
Jan 4 - One week to go... Probably just 4 or 5 miles
Jan 11 - Race day!!

belias21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:23 AM   #231
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

So glad to hear someone else is a bit off track as well (though I'm not glad either one of us got off track, of course). My kiddo got a rotten cold and the days of slothfulness as he heals up are taking their toll. Thankfully DH is home from his work trip now and I can get back into the swing of things.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #232
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Add me - I've pretty much thrown my plan out the window and am just winging it from here until GSC, lol! My stupid hip/lower back has good days and bad days, so I'm just following its lead at this point. This week, my body was craving anything but running, so I indulged it and have been doing lots of yoga, Pilates and walking. I was afraid the lack of training runs would hurt me, but I'm actually feeling a lot stronger and more energized, so I was clearly in need of a break.

Anyone else running a Thanksgiving race? I signed up to do our local Turkey Trot 10K. At $15 and a route just a few miles form home, I couldn't resist!

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #233
DisneyParrothead
Mouseketeer

I'm also off track. My IT band has been bothering me for a while, and even though I'm going to PT, it still flares up. I did 4 miles two weeks ago, then traveling and sickness derailed my plans. I did 2 miles yesterday but had an ITBS flare-up. I'm headed to my PT's today to get Rock Tape, rest up, and try again tomorrow.

Disney Princess half marathon 2012

MetroPCS Dallas half marathon 2012

Eugene half marathon 2013

WDW Half Marathon 2014

http://inlesleyscorner.blogspot.com/
DisneyParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #234
Diskidatheart
Mouseketeer

My wife has had IT Band issues for the past month and finally saw a PT. He told her that she should continue to use a foam roller and to increase her cadence when running. Studies have shown that increasing your cadence from 160 steps/min to 170 steps/min (and then to the optimal 180) will decrease the force on your knee, get your hips more in alignment with your foot strike and cause less pain to your IT Band. It's basically running more efficiently. She also has to strengthen her hip muscles because that is what is causing her knee(s) to point inward during her running, which is ultimately causing her ITBS.

Diskidatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #235
DisneyParrothead
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskidatheart View Post
My wife has had IT Band issues for the past month and finally saw a PT. He told her that she should continue to use a foam roller and to increase her cadence when running. Studies have shown that increasing your cadence from 160 steps/min to 170 steps/min (and then to the optimal 180) will decrease the force on your knee, get your hips more in alignment with your foot strike and cause less pain to your IT Band. It's basically running more efficiently. She also has to strengthen her hip muscles because that is what is causing her knee(s) to point inward during her running, which is ultimately causing her ITBS.
My PT's been working with me on all of the above. First and foremost, he got me to move from a heel striker to a forefoot striker. Otherwise the heel striking would negate everything we work on. I've also been sick so maybe my muscles were tight yesterday without letting me know beforehand I walked the rest of the way and got home to ice, foam roll and stretch.

WDW Half Marathon 2014

Old 11-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #236
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

ME! ME! I too am off track/winging it. I got so sick about two weeks ago. I took almost a week off from running. I was already signed up for a 5k and totally tanked it last weekend. (well, ok... not totally...I did better than I did last year at the same event...but it was not a PR for that distance) This week has been rough getting back into it. My plan is to get in 7.5 or maybe 8 this weekend. (I did 7 today..and it was the first time I didn't nearly die..but still wasn't 100%) I wonder if I ramp up by a half mile a week for my long runs if that will be enough. Take it to 10 or 10.5 miles before really tapering that last week before the race? Or is 10 too much on 1/4? I just kinda feel like I was more on track before getting sick. I had my longest run on 10/26. That run was about 10.3.
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:06 AM   #237
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
I had my longest run on 10/26. That run was about 10.3.
My most recent long run was in the evening of 10/5.

Ann I'm sorry you got so sick!

Today I just couldn't bring myself to treadmill it, but the gym has a new playtoy, a Lateral elliptical machine that is awesome. Yesterday and today that thing called to me like the treadmills aren't. That and weights. Hey, at least my cardio system will be good and I'll be nice and buff! As I limp the last 5K to the finish line because I've never run the distance of the race.....

No seriously, I obviously have NO excuse next to all of you guys. Just realized I can fit something in on Saturday while DS has 3 hours of dance rehearsal. Woo! (please don't let it be freezing.)
Old 11-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #238
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyParrothead View Post
I'm also off track. My IT band has been bothering me for a while, and even though I'm going to PT, it still flares up. I did 4 miles two weeks ago, then traveling and sickness derailed my plans. I did 2 miles yesterday but had an ITBS flare-up. I'm headed to my PT's today to get Rock Tape, rest up, and try again tomorrow.
Were you able to identify what brought it on in the first place? I went was nailed by ITBS and the three things that finally resolved it were: 1. figuring out and correcting the root cause (in my case, way too many miles in the same direction on our steeply cambered roads, plus the wrong shoes for my mechanics), 2. 3 weeks off completely to allow the inflammation at the knee to go away, and 3. work with my chiro - trigger point massage, ART, and electro stim. Using the foam roller now helps keep it at bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskidatheart View Post
Studies have shown that increasing your cadence from 160 steps/min to 170 steps/min (and then to the optimal 180) will decrease the force on your knee, get your hips more in alignment with your foot strike and cause less pain to your IT Band. It's basically running more efficiently.
Maybe, but not always, which is why I so strongly encourage folks to spend time figuring out what brought it on; there are many, many things that can impact the IT Band. In my case, 182-190 is my natural cadence at an easy pace, so that "magic" 180 is pretty arbitrary and had nothing to do with my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
ME! ME! I too am off track/winging it. I got so sick about two weeks ago. I took almost a week off from running. I was already signed up for a 5k and totally tanked it last weekend. (well, ok... not totally...I did better than I did last year at the same event...but it was not a PR for that distance) This week has been rough getting back into it. My plan is to get in 7.5 or maybe 8 this weekend. (I did 7 today..and it was the first time I didn't nearly die..but still wasn't 100%) I wonder if I ramp up by a half mile a week for my long runs if that will be enough. Take it to 10 or 10.5 miles before really tapering that last week before the race? Or is 10 too much on 1/4? I just kinda feel like I was more on track before getting sick. I had my longest run on 10/26. That run was about 10.3.
I hear ya. I'm very temped to DNS my Turkey Trot. I'm sooooo not into it and so sick of being in pain. Mentally, I've gone from planning to run the WDW for time and score a rockin' (for me) PR, to thinking I'll dawdle through it and take a ton of pics for a blog review instead of making it a running goal. And I HATE stopping for pics, so that's saying something, lol!

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #239
DisneyParrothead
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Were you able to identify what brought it on in the first place? I went was nailed by ITBS and the three things that finally resolved it were: 1. figuring out and correcting the root cause (in my case, way too many miles in the same direction on our steeply cambered roads, plus the wrong shoes for my mechanics), 2. 3 weeks off completely to allow the inflammation at the knee to go away, and 3. work with my chiro - trigger point massage, ART, and electro stim. Using the foam roller now helps keep it at bay.
Oh yes. 1) ASICS changed their design so much my inserts were no longer working with the shoes. Since my feet fit my inserts, my LRS found shoes that fit the inserts 2) very VERY tight hip muscles so my PT-chiro has been using ART 3) PT had me switch to forefoot running 4) PT has me doing strengthening exercises to correct the muscle imbalances

I did 4 miles on the treadmill before I went on vacation, then unfortunately got sick. I'm working my way back, bought some Rock Tape, and started doing the Jillian Michaels' buns and thighs workout again. I am prepared to walk the half in January if I have to, but I will cross that finish line. I have nothing planned so I can recover afterwards.

WDW Half Marathon 2014

Old 11-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #240
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My most recent long run was in the evening of 10/5.
Well, somehow I once thought that the ToT and Donald were so far apart. How we are down to such few weeks? I mean...it seems like we just ran that race, right???

Quote:
Ann I'm sorry you got so sick!

I have been lucky to not get sick for much durning all of my training time. This has been the very first time I have skipped an entire week of training. Well...maybe not a full week because I ran one saturday and then ran again the next. Still... I am glad to finally be on the mend. It has made for some not so bueno runs...especially now that the cold is setting in.

Quote:

Today I just couldn't bring myself to treadmill it, but the gym has a new playtoy, a Lateral elliptical machine that is awesome. Yesterday and today that thing called to me like the treadmills aren't. That and weights. Hey, at least my cardio system will be good and I'll be nice and buff! As I limp the last 5K to the finish line because I've never run the distance of the race.....
Well cross training is a good idea, yes? So it must be a good thing! And... I don't think I took my miles above 11 prior to the phm last year and I did fine...so I would think even if you never get those miles up more than 10 you shouldn't die on race day.
Quote:
No seriously, I obviously have NO excuse next to all of you guys. Just realized I can fit something in on Saturday while DS has 3 hours of dance rehearsal. Woo! (please don't let it be freezing.)
Speaking of the dropping temps... with how sunny it has been, hasn't it been crazy cold??? I ran yesterday and had to avoid icey patches. Add in that daylight hours are less... we all need to try and stay safe out there!!!

Quote:
I hear ya. I'm very temped to DNS my Turkey Trot. I'm sooooo not into it and so sick of being in pain. Mentally, I've gone from planning to run the WDW for time and score a rockin' (for me) PR, to thinking I'll dawdle through it and take a ton of pics for a blog review instead of making it a running goal. And I HATE stopping for pics, so that's saying something, lol!
I am so sorry that you are in pain again. I have to tell you though... you are quite the inspiration. It seems like you never just quit. I would think that a lot of people out there would have by now. And the fact you have to on occasion take it slower also inspires me. I mean it makes me push on and accept that I may not get my best time when I am sick. As for pics... I know there are a lot of people who do the disney races just for the pics and have a great time doing so. I personally am not one... but if I had to do it... I would totally rock it! Just have fun!! No matter what way you do it.
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: