Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Eating Healthy
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #166
bigsis1970
Eating and Drinking our way around the Food & Wine Festival Sept 26 - Oct 4 2014. Loves being Hunny to the Hubs. On the way to losing 1/3 of myself.

here is my Mac & Cheese recipe if anyone wants it :

it is NOT low fat.. but its GOOOOOOD

1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup
1/2 soup can milk (I use 1%)
2 cups shredded cheddar
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard - or a few good shakes
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups cooked and drained Elbows (I use dreamfields)
1 sleeve of crushed Ritz crackers (I have been using the everything ones lately YUM)
2 teaspoons butter, melted

Heat the oven to 400°F.

Stir the soup, shredded cheese, dry mustard, milk, black pepper in a sauce pan on low to melt the shredded cheese
Add the pasta tossing to coat then pour into a 1.5 quart casserole or 9x13.
Mix the cracker crumbs and butter in a small bowl. Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the pasta mixture. We like an even crust on the whole M & C so sometimes more crackers are required
Bake for 20 minutes or until the pasta mixture is hot and bubbling

last night hubs had this with some french fried onions on top and said it was DELISH..

Our family: Me - Michelle & DH - The Hubs DD -Princess B DS - Buddy Welcome home Hunny 11/26/13

8D/9D for the Food & Wine 9/26-10/4 2014! OMG I went 3 Times in 2012 !!
Trip #1 With DD 4/7-4/14 2012!! Trip #2 With Work 4/29 - 5/2 2012!! Trip #3 Just Me and the Hubs! Hubs 1st Trip 5/2 -5/7 2012 !!
Homeowners = Aug 18, 2011
R.I.P ( Race In Peace)Uncle Bub 06/05/2010 /Bandit RIP 4/1/1997 - 10/2/2013 / Copper RIP 2/1/2001 -9/23/2011/XO miss you all
bigsis1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:05 AM   #167
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

What brand of almond flour is everyone using for the pizza crust?
Register to remove

Old 11-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #168
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Rose.... sorry I didn't see this earlier. I use "Bob's Red Mill" variety most of the time. I have bought it in bulk from the grocery store, but not recently. I know that it can be pricey and I've found the BRM in a few different places. Just looked it up on Amazon and they do have a gluten free variety. Here is a link...

http://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mill-...l+almond+flour

HTH.................P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #169
bigsis1970
Eating and Drinking our way around the Food & Wine Festival Sept 26 - Oct 4 2014. Loves being Hunny to the Hubs. On the way to losing 1/3 of myself.

Super-Delicious Zuppa Toscana - Copied from All Recipes.

"This is an oh-so-good recipe. Just the right amount of spice to make you take a cold drink but definitely keep coming back for more! This soup is irresistible!"

1 pound bulk mild Italian sausage

1 1/4 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes

4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces

1 large onion, diced

1 tablespoon minced garlic

5 (13.75 ounce) cans chicken broth

6 potato, thinly sliced

1 cup heavy cream

1/4 bunch fresh spinach, tough stems removed

Directions :

1.Cook the Italian sausage and red pepper flakes in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until crumbly, browned, and no longer pink, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2.Cook the bacon in the same Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp, about 10 minutes. Drain, leaving a few tablespoons of drippings with the bacon in the bottom of the Dutch oven. Stir in the onions and garlic; cook until onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
3.Pour the chicken broth into the Dutch oven with the bacon and onion mixture; bring to a boil over high heat. Add the potatoes, and boil until fork tender, about 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the heavy cream and the cooked sausage; heat through. Mix the spinach into the soup just before serving.

Nutrition
Calories 555 kcal
Carbohydrates 45.8 g
Cholesterol 99 mg
Fat 32.7 g
Fiber 5.6 g
Protein 19.8 g
Sodium 2391 mg

THIS IS MY NEW FAVORITE SOUP! I made a few tweaks like just shaking in a few shake of red pepper flakes, using pre cooked bacon, using chunked potato and extra spinach..
I just made it last night with Macaroni vs. potatoes and LOVED it!
Enjoy Michelle

Our family: Me - Michelle & DH - The Hubs DD -Princess B DS - Buddy Welcome home Hunny 11/26/13

8D/9D for the Food & Wine 9/26-10/4 2014! OMG I went 3 Times in 2012 !!
Trip #1 With DD 4/7-4/14 2012!! Trip #2 With Work 4/29 - 5/2 2012!! Trip #3 Just Me and the Hubs! Hubs 1st Trip 5/2 -5/7 2012 !!
Homeowners = Aug 18, 2011
R.I.P ( Race In Peace)Uncle Bub 06/05/2010 /Bandit RIP 4/1/1997 - 10/2/2013 / Copper RIP 2/1/2001 -9/23/2011/XO miss you all
bigsis1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:40 PM   #170
pjlla
<><

SUPER SIMPLE butternut squash soup

1 lb cooked butternut squash soup - approximately 2 small-medium squash (I cut mine in half, scooped out the seeds and roasted it in the skin in the oven at 400 degrees 45 minutes and then scooped it from the skin. )

1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped

1 large sweet apple, peeled, cored, and chopped

4 C fat free vegetable stock (or chicken stock or a combo)

1 C fat free milk

1 tsp. salt (more or less)

pinch black pepper

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

pinch cinnamon

pinch ground ginger

pinch coriander

OPTIONAL - maple syrup

Spray a large stock pot with PAM and saute the onions and apple over medium heat until softened and translucent (try to not let them get browned), about 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently.

Add the 4 C of stock and the prepared squash to the pot, and let simmer for approximately 15 minutes with the lid on. After that add all of the spices (start with the 1 tsp. of salt and add more as needed at the end) and carefully transfer hot soup in batches to a blender or hit with a stick blender directly in the pot until soup is smooth.

Stir in the cup of milk and heat on low until it is serving temperature. Add additional salt to taste.

Add optional maple syrup to each serving as desired. Remember that the maple syrup must be counted in your daily PointsPlus if you are doing WW Simple Start (2 tsp. = 1 pt.)

Makes 4 - 2 cup servings.

For those on WW the WW.com Recipe Builder (that crazy math-challenged thing) builds this out to be 3 PPV per serving when it is broken down to 4 servings, but the entire pot of soup is stated to be 10 PPV if you count it as just one serving.... and if you look at the PPV of individual ingredients (not including the syrup) the entire batch should only be 3 PPV! So count this as you wish!

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a cook or chef or even a recipe tester. I am just a simple home cook (and not a very good one) who likes to try to make tasty recipes that are healthy and light. And I have only made this recipe ONCE! I use homemade vegetable stock that is salt-free, so it is hard for me to guess how much salt your batch will need if it is made with store-bought stock, which is why I suggested starting with just 1 tsp. of salt.... mine definitely needed more like 3 tsp. And it is delicious as-is, but just a tiny splash of the maple syrup made this absolutely DEVINE! .......................P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!

Last edited by pjlla; 02-05-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:34 PM   #171
lovetoscrap
Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there
Please bring back the Gecko and dump the stupid eyeballs
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

Thought I would add one I made on NYE for a healthy "dipper" for my Oikos Greek Yogurt Dill dip.

Ideally you need to plan ahead for this one.

Zucchini Chips

Zucchini
Olive Oil ( I use my Misto)
salt & pepper

Slice the zucchini in uniform thin slices. Press between paper towels to dry. Lightly oil a cookie sheet with olive oil. I use a Silpat silicone mat for easy removal and clean up. Lay out the slices and very lightly mist with olive oil. Put a very light sprinkle of salt and pepper on them.

Place in a 250 degree oven for at least 2 hours. They should be crispy and lightly browned when done. Store in a tightly sealed container.

IF you don't allow enough time, like I did for NYE, to allow them to cook for 2+ hours then you can put them in the microwave. I put mine on a stone tray but I think you can put them on a plate. Cooking time will vary based on the power of your microwave. Mine took about 3 mins per batch. They were not as crispy as if I had put them in the oven but still good.

This really was a SUPER easy recipe. I used a mandolin to cut my zucchini and it took minutes to cut up 4 of them. Then I just worked in batches. It would have been easier if I had been able to put them in the oven but I just didn't have enough time. They were SO GOOD and I didn't feel I was missing out on the chips or crackers. I would think it would work well with carrots too.

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS
lovetoscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:29 PM   #172
lovetoscrap
Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there
Please bring back the Gecko and dump the stupid eyeballs
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

Picked up a package of good looking Portobello Mushrooms today and had to figure out what to do with them. I found a bunch of great recipes but none were what I wanted to so I combined elements from all of them!

I don't have measurements because all of this was just "a little of this, a little of that". Depending on how many you are making and which ingredients you like more your amounts will vary!

LTS Baked Portobello Mushroom

1 large Portobello Mushroom cap-- remove stem and gills
Balsamic Salad Dressing ( I used Bolthouse)
Laughing Cow Light Garlic and Herb cheese wedge
cooked chicken (I had leftover rotisserie chicken)
light mozzarella cheese shredded
pesto ( I used a jarred pesto found with the spaghetti sauces)

Place the mushroom in a baking dish -inside up- and lightly brush with the Balsamic Salad Dressing. (you could also marinate it for more balsamic flavor) Lightly salt and pepper the mushroom. Spread the Laughing Cow cheese in a thin layer across the inside of the mushroom.

Finely chop the chicken and put in a bowl. Stir in a few spoons of pesto to taste and some of the mozzarella cheese and mix. Spoon this mixture into the mushroom and bake at 425 for about 15 minutes or until browned. You can also add some fresh parmesan cheese on top too.

If I wasn't eating low carb I would probably also add some Panko Bread crumbs to the chicken mixture and make a "topping" of panko and parmesan to cover the top.

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS
lovetoscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #173
pjlla
<><

Wow.... how is it that this poor thread has been neglected for so long!? I will post my newest "new" recipe when I get home today! Time for this thread to wake up and earn its keep! ...............P

Old 04-12-2014, 03:05 PM   #174
pjlla
<><

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
1 2 lb pork roast, trimmed of fat
1 white onion
1 bottle green chile verde salsa
cumin

Chop onion and place pork roast on top. Add salsa and a dash of cumin. Cook on low for 6 hours. Shred cooked pork in crockpot and serve with tortillas and your choice of condiments.

I found this recipe somewhere but when I googled it I couldn't find it again. It's so easy I can remember it.
Lisa... I'm finally getting around to trying this.... probably tomorrow. I was eyeing a bottle of the green salsa in my fridge, wondering why I EVER bought it. But now I've found a use for it!.............P

Old 04-12-2014, 03:17 PM   #175
pjlla
<><

Chicken Rollatini with Spinach alla Parmigiana
Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 8 • Serving Size: 1 stuffed breast • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 5 pts
Calories: 194.7 • Fat: 7 g • Protein: 24.2 g • Carb: 7.2 g • Fiber: 1.5 g

Ingredients:

8 thin chicken cutlets, 3 oz each
1/2 cup whole wheat Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
6 tablespoons egg whites or egg beaters
5 oz frozen spinach, squeezed dry of any liquid
6 tbsp part skim ricotta cheese
6 oz part skim mozzarella (I used Polly-O)
olive oil non-stick spray (I use my Misto)
1 cup pomodoro sauce or your favorite marinara sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Wash and dry cutlets, season with salt and pepper. Preheat oven to 450°. Lightly spray a baking dish with non-stick spray.

Combine breadcrumbs and 2 tbsp grated cheese in one bowl and 1/4 cup egg beaters or egg whites in another.
Shred or finely chop 1.5 oz of mozzarella cheese and combine with remaining grated cheese, spinach (make sure you squeeze it dry), 2 tbsp egg beaters, and ricotta cheese.

Lay chicken cutlets down on a working surface and spread 2 tbsp of spinach-cheese mixture on each cutlet. Loosely roll each one and keep seam side down.

Dip chicken in egg mixture, then in breadcrumbs and place seam side down in a baking dish (no toothpicks needed). Repeat with the remaining chicken. When finished, lightly spray with olive oil.

Bake 25 minutes. Remove from oven, top with sauce then cheese.

Bake until cheese is melted and bubbling, about 3 more minutes. Serve with additional sauce on the side and grated cheese.

Here's the link to the original recipe......
http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/04/c...nach-alla.html

And of COURSE, a few things I changed...

I didn't have any ricotta, so I used plain nonfat greek yogurt instead. I added a bit of garlic powder and italian seasoning to the filling as well. I also did not have frozen spinach, so I used chopped fresh baby spinach. The changes worked just fine.

I did NOT bread the portion I made for DH, to eliminate those extra carbs, but I did sprinkle it with a bit of grated parmesan.

I made these up to the breading stage on Sunday and then put them in the fridge. I pulled them out Monday evening, did the breading and baking that night. They were delicious and they held together well during the breading stage, possibly due to sitting overnight.

DH and I had leftovers for lunch the next day and we both agreed it tasted even better the next day!.....................P

Old 06-12-2014, 04:35 PM   #176
pjlla
<><

Here is the original recipe, thanks to skinnytaste.com!

Cauliflower "Fried Rice"
Skinnytaste.com
Servings: 4 • Size: heaping 1 1/3 cups • Old Points: 2 pt • Points+: 3 pts
Calories: 108 • Fat: 3 g • Carbs: 14 • Fiber: 6 • Protein: 9 g • Sugar: 1
Sodium: 868 mg • Cholesterol: 47 mg

1 medium head (about 24 oz) cauliflower, rinsed
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 egg whites
1 large egg
pinch of salt
cooking spray
1/2 small onion, diced fine
1/2 cup frozen peas and carrots
2 garlic cloves, minced
5 scallions, diced, whites and greens separated
3 tbsp soy sauce, or more to taste (Tamari for Gluten Free)

Directions:

Remove the core and let the cauliflower dry completely. Coarsely chop into florets, then place half of the cauliflower in a food processor and pulse until the cauliflower is small and has the texture of rice or couscous – don't over process or it will get mushy. Set aside and repeat with the remaining cauliflower.
Combine egg and egg whites in a small bowl and beat with a fork. Season with salt.

Heat a large saute pan or wok over medium heat and spray with oil. Add the eggs and cook, turning a few times until set; set aside.

Add the sesame oil and saute onions, scallion whites, peas and carrots and garlic about 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft.

Raise the heat to medium-high. Add the cauliflower "rice" to the saute pan along with soy sauce. Mix, cover and cook approximately 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until the cauliflower is slightly crispy on the outside but tender on the inside. Add the egg then remove from heat and mix in scallion greens.

MY TWEAKS.........

I used two full heads of cauliflower and it was completely finished by three hungry adults! My food processor bowl isn't huge and I had to pulse it in very small batches so that it wouldn't end up blended into pulp. I used one whole egg and one white and a large sweet onion plus about 6 cloves of garlic. I did not have any scallions, so I skipped those, but I did add chopped bok choy. To me it isn't fried rice without the bok choy. I also used fresh carrots (about 4-5 large) that I had diced and then lightly steamed and about a cup of frozen peas that I had run under hot water. I was really trying to bulk up the veggies in this.

I was making such a large batch that I had to stir-fry all of the veggies and eggs, remove them from the pan, and then add the cauliflower/rice. I cooked my cauliflower/rice until it was crispy and brown in sections. I combined everything just at the end. I also added diced ham, since this was the only thing I was serving for dinner. I would personally prefer chicken, but can't use it for the family because of DS's poultry allergy.

I did use the sesame oil because it adds so much taste. And of course, soy sauce (full sodium, since that isn't an issue for us).

My men knew it wasn't really rice, but no one questioned it and it was nearly gone before I divulged just exactly what they were eating.

Honestly, I can't WAIT to make this again!! I love fried rice and have really missed having it more often! ..............................P

Old 06-19-2014, 07:26 AM   #177
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Chicken and Grilled Pineapple Salsa from Family Circle

Rate and Comment Makes: 5 servings Yield: servings Prep 15 mins Grill 24 mins
Chicken and Grilled Pineapple Salsa
Nutrition Facts
Servings Per Recipe 5
Amount Per Serving
cal.(kcal)472
Fat, total(g)18
chol.(mg)79
sat. fat(g)3
carb.(g)45
fiber(g)11
pro.(g)37
sodium(mg)469
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Ingredients
2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon peel plus 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground coriander
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 pkg (24 oz) Perdue Perfect Portions boneless chicken breasts or 5 small chicken breast halves (4 to 5 oz each)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 peeled and cored pineapple, cut into 6 wedges
2 avocados, halved, pitted and peeled
1/2 small red onion, minced
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
10 corn tortillas, warmed
Directions
1. Heat grill to medium-high. In a small bowl, combine lemon peel, garlic, coriander, 1/2 tsp of the salt, the cumin, black pepper and cayenne. Rub half onto both sides of chicken. Whisk lemon juice and olive oil into remaining rub and brush onto pineapple and avocados. Grill pineapple for 12 minutes, turning twice so all sides are nicely marked. Meanwhile, grill avocado halves, cut side down, for 3 minutes, until nicely marked. Transfer pineapple and avocado to a cutting board.
2. Grill chicken for 10 to 12 minutes, turning once. Meanwhile, dice pineapple and avocado and gently mix together with red onion, cilantro and remaining 1/4 tsp salt.
3. Divide pineapple salsa among 5 plates. Top with a chicken breast half and serve with 2 tortillas per plate.
Note:
4. Always choose firm-ripe avocados for grilling: Gently press near the stem end with your thumb; there should be some give, without being too soft. Look for skin that is dark green, almost black. If not yet ripe enough, store on the counter in a paper bag for 24 hours and test again.

This is on the list to try -- I'm posting it here so I can link to it on the WATP thread. I'll report back after we try it.
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #178
pjlla
<><

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
Chicken and Grilled Pineapple Salsa from Family Circle

Rate and Comment Makes: 5 servings Yield: servings Prep 15 mins Grill 24 mins
Chicken and Grilled Pineapple Salsa
Nutrition Facts
Servings Per Recipe 5
Amount Per Serving
cal.(kcal)472
Fat, total(g)18
chol.(mg)79
sat. fat(g)3
carb.(g)45
fiber(g)11
pro.(g)37
sodium(mg)469
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Ingredients
2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon peel plus 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground coriander
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 pkg (24 oz) Perdue Perfect Portions boneless chicken breasts or 5 small chicken breast halves (4 to 5 oz each)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 peeled and cored pineapple, cut into 6 wedges
2 avocados, halved, pitted and peeled
1/2 small red onion, minced
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
10 corn tortillas, warmed
Directions
1. Heat grill to medium-high. In a small bowl, combine lemon peel, garlic, coriander, 1/2 tsp of the salt, the cumin, black pepper and cayenne. Rub half onto both sides of chicken. Whisk lemon juice and olive oil into remaining rub and brush onto pineapple and avocados. Grill pineapple for 12 minutes, turning twice so all sides are nicely marked. Meanwhile, grill avocado halves, cut side down, for 3 minutes, until nicely marked. Transfer pineapple and avocado to a cutting board.
2. Grill chicken for 10 to 12 minutes, turning once. Meanwhile, dice pineapple and avocado and gently mix together with red onion, cilantro and remaining 1/4 tsp salt.
3. Divide pineapple salsa among 5 plates. Top with a chicken breast half and serve with 2 tortillas per plate.
Note:
4. Always choose firm-ripe avocados for grilling: Gently press near the stem end with your thumb; there should be some give, without being too soft. Look for skin that is dark green, almost black. If not yet ripe enough, store on the counter in a paper bag for 24 hours and test again.

This is on the list to try -- I'm posting it here so I can link to it on the WATP thread. I'll report back after we try it.
I think I'll try this tonight!.................P

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: