Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #151
Dream426
Love Disney!!
 
Dream426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 724

I have been reading every update and have been trying to comment after I read it but keep forgetting at the end of the day. I am loving all of your updates and pictures. It makes me want to plan a Disney cruise so soon.
__________________
Disney World April 1998, Disney World/ Disney Cruise August 1999, Disney World April 2000, Disney World July 2006- Engaged, Disney Honeymoon- July 2008, Disney World/ Disney Cruise- August 2010

Gianna's First of Many WDW Trips March 2013!! PTR

Gianna and Sophia's First Trip to Disney World September 2014 PTR!!

Dream426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:12 AM   #152
colachdec
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 106

Love reading this! My family was on this cruise, as well. We had been on the Dream in 2011 and just got off the Magic last week. I think we are full blown addicted to Disney cruises, lol.
Your trip sounds fantastic!! What a wonderful anniversary you must have had :-)
Our trip was different since we were with our three sons and my in-laws, but it was certainly great!
Thanks for writing this and allowing me to relive the FANTASY!!
colachdec is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #153
klacey1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,806

What a unique experience, to run on Castaway Cay!! And that's awesome that they take it so seriously with medals, bibs, etc. Congrats on being the third fastest woman!!
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #154
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!
 
khertz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 5,420

That's really great that you both participated in the race! And pretty amazing that you were the 3rd fastest woman. Quite the accomplishment, Emma! I'm not a runner, but I have to imagine running around Castaway Cay is not a bad view.
__________________
Me DH DS (4)
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #155
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights
 
jedijill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 5,607

Congrats on the race!

Jill in CO
__________________
jedijill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #156
MEK
DIS Veteran
 
MEK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Middletown, DE
Posts: 18,857

I found your TR link while reading khertz's TR this evening. I am officially subbed and only have a few more updates to read to be completely caught up, but I think I stop here for comments.

Congrats on your 2 year anniversary. You really planned a lovely trip.

Good luck on your 1/2 marathon. I'm sure its going to be a great experience.

Curious - is the CC 5K offered only at certain times or do they do that every time the boat stops on the island? I would really like to try that.

I love both the Boadwalk and the AKL. In fact, I did a split stay between those two resorts in October.

The meals on the cruise look fabulous and I didn't realize they sold a drink card.

The excursions look pretty fun, too!

I have to tell you - I can't wait to read about Boston. As much as I love a Disney trip report I absolutely love reading about different travel locations. Boston is within driving distance for me and I have only stayed there once (it was a 4 night bike ride across the entire state). I would love to go back so I'm curious to see your itinerary.

Great trip report. Really enjoying it.
__________________

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #157
dmwang9
Agent P's sidekick-in-training
 
dmwang9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Curious - is the CC 5K offered only at certain times or do they do that every time the boat stops on the island? I would really like to try that.
I've been on 3 Disney cruises, and all 3 had 5k's first thing in the morning at Castaway Key. One of those cruises double-dipped (had two Castaway Cay days), and IIRC, the 5k was only offered on one of the two days.

Given how popular the Castaway Cay 5k's seem to be, at least in my experience, I'd guess that Disney is going to continue offering them, since it's a fairly low-cost event with a pretty high level of guest satisfaction. Also, it gives them a chance to plug the other runDisney events (read: increase runDisney's revenue), and since when has our beloved House of Mouse passed up an opportunity to do that? Note that I am not bitter at all about this. The CC 5k was what convinced me to start road racing again after a 20+ year hiatus.

-- Dave
__________________
Dave

DLR: off site (8/74), GC (2/01), DLH (10/07, Gay Days Anaheim), VGC (3/13), off site (12/13), off site (2/14)
WDW: Swan (7/03, Nimbus), CR (8/06), Dolphin (8/07), Swan (6/08), Swan (6/09), BWV (7/10), BWV (7/11), BWV (6/12), SSR (6/13), BWV (3/14, Flower and Garden), AKL-Kidani (10/14, Food and Wine)
Universal: Royal Pacific (7/10, Infinitus), Portofino Bay (7/12, Ascendio)
Cruises: Dream (7/11, 4 night Bahamas), Dream (6/12, PCC 3.0, 5 night Bahamas), Fantasy (6/13, 7 night W Caribbean)
ABD: DIS Backstage Magic (7/14)
dmwang9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #158
disneybarbie
Disney Princess
 
disneybarbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Surrey, England
Posts: 2,747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream426 View Post
I have been reading every update and have been trying to comment after I read it but keep forgetting at the end of the day. I am loving all of your updates and pictures. It makes me want to plan a Disney cruise so soon.
Hi! Thank you for reading... writing about this cruise is making me want to book another one too

Quote:
Originally Posted by colachdec View Post
Love reading this! My family was on this cruise, as well. We had been on the Dream in 2011 and just got off the Magic last week. I think we are full blown addicted to Disney cruises, lol.
Your trip sounds fantastic!! What a wonderful anniversary you must have had :-)
Our trip was different since we were with our three sons and my in-laws, but it was certainly great!
Thanks for writing this and allowing me to relive the FANTASY!!
Hi! Thank you so much for reading and for your comments can't believe this cruise was almost 6 months ago, we had such an amazing time.
I'd like to cruise on the Magic or Wonder at some point.. see what the Classic ships are like.


Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
What a unique experience, to run on Castaway Cay!! And that's awesome that they take it so seriously with medals, bibs, etc. Congrats on being the third fastest woman!!
Thank you! I'm so glad we did the race - it was so hot, felt like a really long 3 miles.. but not an experience that many people get to do I guess
I'm pleased too I got to 'practice' wearing a bib while running too - so I know what to expect in January - I've actually kept the safety pins from the 5k to use for the Half Marathon (good luck charm!)


Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
That's really great that you both participated in the race! And pretty amazing that you were the 3rd fastest woman. Quite the accomplishment, Emma! I'm not a runner, but I have to imagine running around Castaway Cay is not a bad view.
Thanks - so pleased we ran it, and together too - it's good to have someone running next to you, I think we kept each other going

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Congrats on the race!

Jill in CO
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I found your TR link while reading khertz's TR this evening. I am officially subbed and only have a few more updates to read to be completely caught up, but I think I stop here for comments.

Congrats on your 2 year anniversary. You really planned a lovely trip.

Good luck on your 1/2 marathon. I'm sure its going to be a great experience.

Curious - is the CC 5K offered only at certain times or do they do that every time the boat stops on the island? I would really like to try that.

I love both the Boadwalk and the AKL. In fact, I did a split stay between those two resorts in October.

The meals on the cruise look fabulous and I didn't realize they sold a drink card.

The excursions look pretty fun, too!

I have to tell you - I can't wait to read about Boston. As much as I love a Disney trip report I absolutely love reading about different travel locations. Boston is within driving distance for me and I have only stayed there once (it was a 4 night bike ride across the entire state). I would love to go back so I'm curious to see your itinerary.

Great trip report. Really enjoying it.
Hi! Thanks so much for reading and for all your comments

AKL/BW sounds like a great split stay.. I love the theme and ambience at AKL, but really like the location of the Boardwalk

As far as I know (and from what Dave commented too) - the 5k is held on each ship's visit to Castaway Cay


Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwang9 View Post
I've been on 3 Disney cruises, and all 3 had 5k's first thing in the morning at Castaway Key. One of those cruises double-dipped (had two Castaway Cay days), and IIRC, the 5k was only offered on one of the two days.

......
-- Dave
Thank you for confirming that Dave




Update coming soon ... sorry for the delay... I better get going with this TR, less than 5 weeks until January trip now!



Emma x
disneybarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #159
disneybarbie
Disney Princess
 
disneybarbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Surrey, England
Posts: 2,747

Day 9...

....

We got the shuttle from Pelican Point to Serenity Bay... after our run, we decided we didn't have to walk all the way there as well!



While waiting for the shuttle – we saw a familiar looking pirate talking to some crew members.



While on the shuttle, we couldn't believe quite how far the runway was... did we really just run up and down here?



(This is the bike trail that we ran around twice during the 5k...)


We got to Serenity Bay, it was as beautiful as I remembered. We easily found some sunbeds, DH went for a swim – I settled down in the shade to read my book (and eat the box of bran flakes I'd got from Cabanas for breakfast!)



We went for a walk along the beach (and saw some barracudas), read/listened to music and relaxed.



.....
disneybarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #160
disneybarbie
Disney Princess
 
disneybarbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Surrey, England
Posts: 2,747

Day 9...

....



We saw Captain Jack Sparrow strolling along the beach too – it was fun to watch all the grown women run out of the sea/from the sunbeds for photos!!



As a reward for our morning run, we each got a cocktail from the bar tender who was walking up and down the beach



We had brought two waterproof cameras with us for the trip, we'd been using one (which I realised I've not had developed yet) but decided to give the other one away to a family sat near us – they seemed pleased with it.

At around 12 we headed to the BBQ area for lunch – something that we'd absolutely loved on our previous cruise, and it didn't disappoint!



The Mahi Mahi is particularly delicious.



We spent some more time on the sunbeds, then walked back to the bar area for a drink – we were intrigued by the plastic Corona bottles that had 'sand proof' necks!

After a little more time on the beach, at one point a very large sting ray swam into the bay – lots of people were screaming and ran out of the water
At around 3pm we made our way back to the main area of the island on the tram.




We stopped at one of the shops to buy the 5k tshirts and a pin too.



....
disneybarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #161
disneybarbie
Disney Princess
 
disneybarbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Surrey, England
Posts: 2,747

Day 9...

...

Our beautiful ship!










Once back in our stateroom, I made a start on packing our suitcases.. we couldn't believe it was our last night already!


DH took some photos of the island  as we sailed away, we could see the crew members who live on the island cleaning up the beach.. what a place to live!







Sailing away!




Once most of the packing was done, we got ready for dinner  very excited as tonight we were going to Remy... the meal we'd had there on the Dream was the best meal of our lives (so far) .

....
disneybarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #162
MEK
DIS Veteran
 
MEK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Middletown, DE
Posts: 18,857

Thanks to you and Dave for answering the question about the 5K. I am doing a double dip next october and I normally run on vacation, so it looks like I've got to do the 5K, especially if it gets me off the boat early.

Lovely pictures from CC, I can't wait!
__________________

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #163
Leshaface
DIS Veteran
 
Leshaface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Central, CA
Posts: 5,037

I'm shocked you didn't run up to see Mr. Sparrow. I would have JUMPED up to go see him Disney always has good looking Jacks

I remember when we were there in 2011 and an eel swam up and I definitely stayed out of the water for a bit!
__________________


DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC, Oct 14 CCI
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #164
disneybarbie
Disney Princess
 
disneybarbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Surrey, England
Posts: 2,747

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Thanks to you and Dave for answering the question about the 5K. I am doing a double dip next october and I normally run on vacation, so it looks like I've got to do the 5K, especially if it gets me off the boat early.

Lovely pictures from CC, I can't wait!
Hope you do get to do the 5k - definitely a great way to start a trip to Castaway Cay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
I'm shocked you didn't run up to see Mr. Sparrow. I would have JUMPED up to go see him Disney always has good looking Jacks

I remember when we were there in 2011 and an eel swam up and I definitely stayed out of the water for a bit!
.. I think I didn't go for a photo as I had a bit of sunburn from the day before... wanted to stay in the shade!



I just got our waterproof camera developed today from Castaway Cay!

Here are some of the photos...









(This is my usual 'pose' while in the sea/pool.. keeping my nail extensions out of the water )








Who would run along here




Sand-proof Corona!







Emma x
disneybarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #165
klacey1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,806

Yum, that bbq food looks delicious! The last night is never fun, but you guys definitely had a wonderful cruise!!
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: