Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
allisonw
Earning My Ears

best sit downs with children?

girls are 9 and 5 and i know they have to order off the childrens menu but i'm not loving our choices of food. most places seem to be chicken nuggets/pizza. are there options will more variety. i don't want them eating junk all week. may need to sit down and do the math to see if the dining plan is worth it. we're using a free dining pin code and paying to upgrade to dining plus.
allisonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonw View Post
girls are 9 and 5 and i know they have to order off the childrens menu but i'm not loving our choices of food. most places seem to be chicken nuggets/pizza. are there options will more variety. i don't want them eating junk all week. may need to sit down and do the math to see if the dining plan is worth it. we're using a free dining pin code and paying to upgrade to dining plus.
Most places are pretty generic kids menus. I'd look at allears.net menus to get an idea of places that might have a little variety. It can be found. My youngest had steak and fish several places.
Register to remove

Old 11-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
scootch
DIS Veteran

For us, the best sitdowns have always been buffets... so we typically have done alot of character meals.
~~Nov 2005 Contemporary
~~November 2006 Contemporary Making memories with my 21 year old niece with cancer
Sweet Lindsey passed March 2007
~~November 2007 WL
~~Nov 08 VWL
~~Nov 09 WDW BLT DiscoveryCove SeaWorld and DCL Wonder
~~April 2011 B2B Disney Dream
~~Nov 2011 WDW/BLT
~~Nov 2012 VWL/ Eastern Fantasy
~~ June 2013 DISNEYLAND/CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE
~~Feb 2014 Contemporary/ Disney Eastern Fantasy
~~Nov 2014 Disney Grand Floridian Villas
scootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
6disneykids
Mouseketeer

This is a hot button topic, it seems for every parent that wants more variety in the kids menu, there is another parent who says their child will only eat what is listed on most kid menus

With that being said, buffets are the best way to go to find more variety in choices for children. This has been our strategy when we have taken kids that are on the cusp of being the 10+ (aka Disney "adult") Going to buffets, kids have a full choice of what is offered.
6disneykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
momto3pirates
DIS Veteran

We liked to do buffets when the boys were younger. It was a good chance for them to try out a variety of foods but still ensure they would get plenty to eat. Their favorites were CP and Tusker House.
2005-Port Orleans Riverside
2006-summer-All Star Sports,Thanksgiving-AS Music
2007-Adults only anniversary trip-AKL
2008- summer PoP
2009-summer-AKV,MNSSHP-SSR
2010-summer at BLT,Thanksgiving at POP
2011-summer at BLT, Thanksgiving at GCH
2012-summer DLH, Thanksgiving-AKL-Jambo
2013-summer VGC, Thanksgiving-US/IOA
2014-summer VGC, Thanksgiving-AKL
momto3pirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
allisonw
Earning My Ears

thanks!

i saw fish on the coral reef menu and that made me happy someone told me there were a few places that didn't have kids menus so in that case the kiddo can order off the adult menu? anybody know anything about that?

what about deserts can those be subbed? maybe for fruit? we're used to getting an appetizer and a bigger meal and splitting b/w the three of us. so i'm thinking we're gonna have a ton of leftovers.

definitly will schedule in a few buffets! i know we're doing rainforst (not on dp) cinderellas castle, coral reef the fantasia one and chef mickeys. i need one more dinner. (if i'm staying 7 days six nights, i get six dinner credits right?) we may do 1900 fare again but kinda want something different/new.

thanks again! huge help!!!
allisonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootch View Post
For us, the best sitdowns have always been buffets... so we typically have done alot of character meals.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
Unca_Scrooge
I'm not an Uncle but I am a Scrooge.

Even the places that don't have separate kids menus will cook to order something to make picky eaters happy.
Unca_Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
Skylarr29
Oh Darn it, I was 'forced' to buy that plane
It feels like I have a sumo wrestler in there!

Quote:
thanks!

i saw fish on the coral reef menu and that made me happy someone told me there were a few places that didn't have kids menus so in that case the kiddo can order off the adult menu? anybody know anything about that?

what about deserts can those be subbed? maybe for fruit? we're used to getting an appetizer and a bigger meal and splitting b/w the three of us. so i'm thinking we're gonna have a ton of leftovers.

definitly will schedule in a few buffets! i know we're doing rainforst (not on dp) cinderellas castle, coral reef the fantasia one and chef mickeys. i need one more dinner. (if i'm staying 7 days six nights, i get six dinner credits right?) we may do 1900 fare again but kinda want something different/new.

thanks again! huge help!!!
Yes, you get 6 table service credits, 6 counter service credits, and 6 snack credits per person if you are staying 6 nights.

Rain forest cafe does accept the dining plan.

Visit this link to see a list of counter service places that do not currently have a childrens menu. http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2479727

Skylarr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #10
shortnsassy730
Mouseketeer

My dear niece loves to go to Raglan Road at DTD. They have a much larger kid's menu than most places at Disney. Plus, they have live music and irish step dancers in the evenings.
shortnsassy730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #11
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
As a recommendation, Whispering Canyon at Wilderness Lodge is a lot of fun and very informal. The kids can order off the kids menu, but the BBQ type buffet style allows them to eat off your food as well. Chicken, steak, ribs, etc… I would say go on line and take a look. The waitstaff is sassy and sarcastic and has a lot of fun with guests.

We also enjoy Chef Mickey's at CR and O'hana at Poly.

Our last "always" spot is Via Naopli in Epcot. Pizza and Italian food is the best.

Good luck!

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: