Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #1456
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodywgirl View Post
We won't be using disney magical express but I would like to use RAC. We are flying southwest do you sign up for this ahead of time or can I just talk to them when we checkin. I want them to check in for me.
No need to sign up for RAC. Just be sure to be at the RAC counter no less than 3 hrs prior to your flight departure. You have to be done and walking away from the counter no less than 3 hrs prior to flight time. That means getting to the counter at least 3.5 hrs prior...just in case. And the counter is open only from 5am to about 1pm...so plan accordingly.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #1457
CleveRocks
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodywgirl View Post
We won't be using disney magical express but I would like to use RAC. We are flying southwest do you sign up for this ahead of time or can I just talk to them when we checkin. I want them to check in for me.
It doesn't require any sort of advance sign-up. In fact, there is no way to sign up in advance. You simply go to your resort's RAC desk when it's the appropriate time to do so.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #1458
canyoncam
Mouseketeer

I am probably remembering wrong so hoping someone can enlighten me. In 2010 when I flew Southwest it seemed that DME/RAC checked me in for for my flight and I got A group bounding because they did it at the 24 hour mark. But I was thinking of doing the EBCI with Southwest if they do not do this anymore. Anyone know? Thanks.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #1459
jodywgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyoncam View Post
I am probably remembering wrong so hoping someone can enlighten me. In 2010 when I flew Southwest it seemed that DME/RAC checked me in for for my flight and I got A group bounding because they did it at the 24 hour mark. But I was thinking of doing the EBCI with Southwest if they do not do this anymore. Anyone know? Thanks.
If you are using DME they do check you in at the 24 hours. I was wondering how it would work if you are just using the RAC part in the original post and will either use EBCI or check in myself at the 24 hour mark and have RAC print our boarding passes
All Star Movies July 2005 Disney Cruise Line Aug 2005 Pop Century May 2007 Pop Century Dec 2008 Bay Lake Tower Sep 2009 Old Key West Dec 2009 GC Villas June 10 AKL Aug 2010 Boardwalk Villas & Disney Cruise March 11Girls Trip All Star Music May 12 May 2013 Family Vacation SSR Girls Trip NOV 2013 BLT / AKL Kidani
jodywgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:45 AM   #1460
shannon006
DIS Veteran

We have never had a morning departure before and not too happy, but it is what it is. Anyway, our AirTran flight leaves MCO at 11;24,am so assuming we need to be ready for Magical Express at about 8:20ish. Are we able to do still do RAC and check our luggage ? Or will we still have to check our luggage in at MCO? This is a domestic flight.
Thanks
Old 11-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #1461
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon006 View Post
We have never had a morning departure before and not too happy, but it is what it is. Anyway, our AirTran flight leaves MCO at 11;24,am so assuming we need to be ready for Magical Express at about 8:20ish. Are we able to do still do RAC and check our luggage ? Or will we still have to check our luggage in at MCO? This is a domestic flight.
Thanks
The time they assign you will be about 3 hours (plus or minus 15 minutes) before your flight, so somewhere between 8:15 and 8:45. You need to be at the platform, completely ready to go, 15 minutes before your scheduled time.

The RAC desk opens at 5:00 or 5:30, so you won't have a problem using RAC, but make sure you give yourself plenty of time; they will probably busy at that time of the morning because so many people with later flights check their bags before they go to a park. The entire process must be complete at least 3 hours before your flight.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #1462
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon006 View Post
Thanks
Be prepared to get a pickup time of as early as 8. It could also be as late as 8:45...they usually run 20 mins on either side of your flight time, depending on your resort. So, you need to be at the bus stop, all ready to go, 15 mins prior to the time you are given.
The RAC counter opens at 5am. I would pack your bags the night before, leaving out only what you will need for your departure day. Then you can get the bags down to RAC as early as possible. The line starts to build by 7:30ish, with those checking bags and then heading to a park. So, try to get there before 7 if you can. Then go and grab a bite to eat and you'll be all ready to board your bus.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #1463
shannon006
DIS Veteran

Thanks for your replies We have always flown out the latest flight so we can have one last day. Unfortunately the only flights Airtran has available for rewards are in the morning On the bright side we are are staying 10 nights

It makes me feel better that we can still use RAC and have Magical Express handle our luggage.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:49 AM   #1464
lffam
Mouseketeer

Our experience with the Disney Airlines Check In service was as poor as it could get, well the result was the process was fine and easy.

We had a 9:30 flight on AA and had check our bags in by 5:30am. We got on the 6:00 am DME and were at the airport in 30-40mins. Straight through on the TSAPre-check line then waited for our flight. Arrived into LAX on time and off the plane and down to meet our chauffeur and then over to bag claim. Well after waiting 30 mins, none of our 4 bags came off onto the conveyor. Over to AA baggage claim service desk waiting in line, and I notice another lady infront of me with a DME boarding pass envelope. I asked her if her bags had not turned up and sure enough same issue. She was also on the same flight as us. By time i got to the front of the line close to an hour had passed from when we landed. I was told that 2 of our bags went to Dallas and were now on way back to LAX but wouldnt be here until 4pm ( we landed at 11:55) the other 2 went to New York and wouldnt be back till 6:30pm. She said there was a note on the system saying that AA received them late from Disney. The previous lady had a note saying that the bags were stopped to be inspected by TSA and dint make the flight for that reason (apparently they had alot of bottles of water in there bags which teh CSA seemed to think triggered the searching??)

In the end our bags were delivered to us at our hotel, 2 at about 830pm and 2 at midnight. While I am sure there are plenty who have used the service without issue, I wouldn't use the service again.

I have called the Wilderness Lodge where we were staying, first time they put me through to Lost & Found as they clearly didn't understand my query. Second time the lady wanted to put me through to Bell Services so again she didn't understand but I asked to speak to a manager. I was put through to another lady who did end up understanding the but couldn't help me and was going to get another manager to call me today. this didn't happen. While I knew there was nothing they could do and we had our luggage back now and that it is handled by Airport staff, not Disney/Lodge staff, I wanted to let them know what had happened. But alas no response from them so far.
lffam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #1465
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lffam View Post
Our experience with the Disney Airlines Check In service was as poor as it could get, well the result was the process was fine and easy.

We had a 9:30 flight on AA and had check our bags in by 5:30am. We got on the 6:00 am DME and were at the airport in 30-40mins. Straight through on the TSAPre-check line then waited for our flight. Arrived into LAX on time and off the plane and down to meet our chauffeur and then over to bag claim. Well after waiting 30 mins, none of our 4 bags came off onto the conveyor. Over to AA baggage claim service desk waiting in line, and I notice another lady infront of me with a DME boarding pass envelope. I asked her if her bags had not turned up and sure enough same issue. She was also on the same flight as us. By time i got to the front of the line close to an hour had passed from when we landed. I was told that 2 of our bags went to Dallas and were now on way back to LAX but wouldnt be here until 4pm ( we landed at 11:55) the other 2 went to New York and wouldnt be back till 6:30pm. She said there was a note on the system saying that AA received them late from Disney. The previous lady had a note saying that the bags were stopped to be inspected by TSA and dint make the flight for that reason (apparently they had alot of bottles of water in there bags which teh CSA seemed to think triggered the searching??)

In the end our bags were delivered to us at our hotel, 2 at about 830pm and 2 at midnight. While I am sure there are plenty who have used the service without issue, I wouldn't use the service again.

I have called the Wilderness Lodge where we were staying, first time they put me through to Lost & Found as they clearly didn't understand my query. Second time the lady wanted to put me through to Bell Services so again she didn't understand but I asked to speak to a manager. I was put through to another lady who did end up understanding the but couldn't help me and was going to get another manager to call me today. this didn't happen. While I knew there was nothing they could do and we had our luggage back now and that it is handled by Airport staff, not Disney/Lodge staff, I wanted to let them know what had happened. But alas no response from them so far.
Sadly, we are hearing of this happening more and more! I'm not sure what can be done though. I suppose an email or snail mail to Disney might help. They need to know that a service that they provide isn't coming close to meeting expectations. And yes, I'm fully aware that Disney isn't actually providing this service...BAGS is. But, they are operating at Disney resorts, and Disney tells its guests that this is a perk of staying at a WDW owned resort. So, where does the buck stop?? While it wasn't nearly as convenient having to take my checked bag back to MCO with me after my stay at the Dolphin yesterday, it was nice knowing that I knew my bag had actually been put on the belt for delivery to the plane. If it got misdirected, it would be the airline's issue.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #1466
lffam
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Sadly, we are hearing of this happening more and more! I'm not sure what can be done though. I suppose an email or snail mail to Disney might help. They need to know that a service that they provide isn't coming close to meeting expectations. And yes, I'm fully aware that Disney isn't actually providing this service...BAGS is. But, they are operating at Disney resorts, and Disney tells its guests that this is a perk of staying at a WDW owned resort. So, where does the buck stop?? While it wasn't nearly as convenient having to take my checked bag back to MCO with me after my stay at the Dolphin yesterday, it was nice knowing that I knew my bag had actually been put on the belt for delivery to the plane. If it got misdirected, it would be the airline's issue.
oh I couldn't agree with you more! Disney market it as a part of package inclusion they staff wear Disney Cast Members bag, they need to ensure that the service is to the standard they would want it to be should it be provided by Disney. They can not ( and in my case haven't ) wipe their hands of it, they just haven't responded yet.

The ironic thing was, the process/system to find the bags, lodge the recovery claim, track it, and then track it once its been found and being assigned to a delivery driver ( they send email each step of the process, even a picture of the driver, his car and phone number) is very very good. This to me says that it happens alot and they need an efficient system to rectify - I'm talking about AA now, not Disney) . I cant imagine the number of bags that AA would handle per day but it must be 1000's but to have these systems to cater for the minority that do go astray, must be a large number also.
lffam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #1467
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lffam View Post
oh I couldn't agree with you more! Disney market it as a part of package inclusion they staff wear Disney Cast Members bag, they need to ensure that the service is to the standard they would want it to be should it be provided by Disney. They can not ( and in my case haven't ) wipe their hands of it, they just haven't responded yet.

The ironic thing was, the process/system to find the bags, lodge the recovery claim, track it, and then track it once its been found and being assigned to a delivery driver ( they send email each step of the process, even a picture of the driver, his car and phone number) is very very good. This to me says that it happens alot and they need an efficient system to rectify - I'm talking about AA now, not Disney) . I cant imagine the number of bags that AA would handle per day but it must be 1000's but to have these systems to cater for the minority that do go astray, must be a large number also.
Yes, this has happened to us several times, on different airlines, on non-Disney trips. I don't mind it so much on the way home; we just hear a thud on our front porch some time between 11pm and 2 am.
Luckily, it's been a while now.
Mistakes/delays happen but it's not enough to make me want to stop flying or using luggage service at WDW.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #1468
JAMIESMITH
DIS Veteran

If we only have carry-on luggage, how early will we have to leave our resort for a 4:30PM flight home?

JAMIESMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #1469
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIESMITH View Post
If we only have carry-on luggage, how early will we have to leave our resort for a 4:30PM flight home?
If you are using DME, you will be given a pickup time of around 1:30ish. The type of baggage you have has nothing to do with your time.
If you are getting yourselves back to MCO, then you can safely head out around 2ish..it's always a good idea to be back at MCO 2 hrs prior to your flight. And it takes about 30 mins to get there...barring any issues on the road.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #1470
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIESMITH View Post
Even if you don't have checked luggage, they'll still give you a pick-up time of about 3 hours before your flight is due to leave (it should be 3 hours plus or minus 15 minutes, so sometime between 1:15 and 1:45.) Even without having to check luggage, you might have to stop at other resorts, plus I've heard that security lines at MCO can be pretty bad.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: