Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #196
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist
 
Planogirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Frisco,Texas
Posts: 45,795

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherScott View Post
Yes, but additional FPs will come same-day. A reason for the logjam today is both systems are running concurrently in a manner the neither were designed to. Once the old goes dark you will be amazed at how many people don't use the FP+.

I've been lurking here for a few weeks and it has amazed me that people hold simultaneously the belief that their own success at planning and implementation at the expense of those who don't will somehow be erased because the latter will suddenly become planners. They won't.

FP+ is just a necessary element of MDE, which will allow Disney to feed opportunities to those wandering around the parks. My guess is that most of those notifications will be of the direct/indirect opprtunity to spend money.
I also share the belief that all of this will vastly improved once it's fully rolled out. However I still wonder about capacity.

TSMM is running out of fastpasses almost immediately and someone is getting all of those fastpasses. It would seem that those who already get the fastpasses will just simply switch to FP+ when their time comes. I see no change there.

What I wonder about are the less popular rides. When people get messages either at home before travel or while in parks that they can schedule FP+ pretty easily won't more of them take advantage of it? Disney hasn't really pushed legacy fastpasses but by all appearances they might just push FP+ and that certainly could lead to more people using them.

But who knows right now. It could all change tomorrow and then we'll have something else to argue about.
__________________
PG
Planogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #197
robpa
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Drums,Pa
Posts: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherScott View Post
Every successful venture involves worry - it's only a problem when it's ignored or overblown.

And, no, these threads won't clear up any time soon for several reasons. Old system is still operational while new system is being tested (a necessity, absent closing down either the old system or the parks) leading to a temporary advantage/disadvantage. Secondly, unhappy customers tend to be more vocal.

As for FP+ being a roaring success, I don't think it can be viewed as some stand alone system. Disney views this as just one component the MDE program. The biggest component, IMO, is getting everyone to wear an RFID device while in the park and at the resorts. Disney will know where you are, where you've been, how long you stayed, what routes you took, what you did, whether or not you ate, whether or not you have plans to eat, demographics of your party and overall park status to drive notifications to you via smartphone throughout the day.

Today's FP pulling/hyperplanning afficiandos will be easily replaced tomorrow by dozens of families being led around by iPhones.

BTW, I think all of this will ultimately lead back to more than 3 FP opps per park/per day under most conditions. Probably not during planning but certainly with the addition of same-day opps.
You mean tracking collar. Maybe they will give you a shock if you deviate from the course
robpa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #198
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!
 
AmyB2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,202

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpa View Post
You mean tracking collar. Maybe they will give you a shock if you deviate from the course
__________________

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #199
luvthemouse71
Cries like a baby at Illuminations..
 
luvthemouse71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mentally,WDW. Physically, Rhode Island
Posts: 4,525

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis j View Post
Waaaaaaaa....
i wish Disney would post this ..[IMG][/IMG]
__________________
luvthemouse71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #200
mom2mickeyfan
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laketravis View Post
Now, we can schedule FP+ for park headliners in the evening, and go to the first park of the day at rope drop and do what we want (maybe even without FP-) for the first couple of hours. At least, that's the way I am hoping it will work, we will find out in 10 days.
My concern with this (but I still think it may be the best way to tour with park hopping) is that FP+ return times are being started right at park opening from my understanding. I'm just not sure RD is going to be the advantage that it use to be during peak season.
mom2mickeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #201
BayouMickey
Green Grinning Gators Come Out To Socialize
 
BayouMickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Paradis, La.
Posts: 3,706

BayouMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #202
surferdave
Not hero DIS deserves, but the hero DIS needs right now
 
surferdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Corinne View Post
Um...I'm trying very hard to refrain from posting a rude response to this post. For now, I'll leave it at this --- *you* don't get to decide who is a "true" Disney lover and who isn't. Crazy.
You can cut off any discussion with a No True Scotsman Fallacy.

It's more elegant and specific than (and just as dismissive as) scolding the frustrated vacation planners for not just being grateful to live in a modern society. I'll commend the poster for raising the bar a little.
__________________
surferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #203
nugov2
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,868

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthemouse71 View Post
i wish Disney would post this ..[IMG][/IMG]
I think that is the message they are already sending people. I think they would benefit more by posting this for their employees though...especially the big decision makers at the top

nugov2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #204
rebbyparker
DIS Veteran
 
rebbyparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 854

Great post!
rebbyparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #205
robpa
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Drums,Pa
Posts: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebbyparker View Post
Great post!
Agreed
robpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #206
OtherScott
Laugh
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Midwest
Posts: 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
I also share the belief that all of this will vastly improved once it's fully rolled out. However I still wonder about capacity.

TSMM is running out of fastpasses almost immediately and someone is getting all of those fastpasses. It would seem that those who already get the fastpasses will just simply switch to FP+ when their time comes. I see no change there.

What I wonder about are the less popular rides. When people get messages either at home before travel or while in parks that they can schedule FP+ pretty easily won't more of them take advantage of it? Disney hasn't really pushed legacy fastpasses but by all appearances they might just push FP+ and that certainly could lead to more people using them.

But who knows right now. It could all change tomorrow and then we'll have something else to argue about.
TSMM is an outlier because it's in a park where there are just not that many things for younger kids to do.

But I would hesitate to extrapolate the same-day behavior of a DHS guest to his advance planning behavior. Yes, once he's decided that today is the day he's going to DHS he gets up early, arrives at RD and beelines it to TSMM. But that doesn't mean that 2 months earlier he's decided which his 6 park days will be DHS.

Planner still has advantage. In fact, I'd argue, moreso. Because within the group running to TSMM, pulling FP then getting in line for morning ride (setting off chain event for length of lines throughout the day) are a more than a few who'd rather not - who'd stay in bed if they knew they had a FP on the books.
OtherScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #207
OtherScott
Laugh
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Midwest
Posts: 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpa View Post
You mean tracking collar. Maybe they will give you a shock if you deviate from the course
Now you're thinking!
OtherScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #208
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran
 
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada, Eh!
Posts: 6,863

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugov2 View Post
I think that is the message they are already sending people. I think they would benefit more by posting this for their employees though...especially the big decision makers at the top

Love it .

(I have the same sign posted in my office at work..........I think its an important reminder that EVERY business needs from time to time)
__________________
Gina and her two guys ...conquering awesome Orlando, one offsite attraction at a time!

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899


Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #209
rt2dz
DIS Veteran
 
rt2dz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 5,583

Just can't help myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherScott View Post
Maybe people who visit Disney annually or even more frequently lose sight of what most visitors find appealling?
OR, maybe, the people who go annually and have since the 1970s (talk about loyality) are more upset beccause they've seen the atmosphere go down over the years? Especially the last 12 years or so.

It used to be that you didn't see maintenance workers, but everything looked like opening day. It used to be customer service not only met expectations, but exceeded them by 300%, it used to be that food was actually worth eating, it used to be that you would see more entertainment than you could watch, it used to be you could shop in the stores and see a million different items of high quality, it used to be...

Now what we get is price increases, lowered training standards (which is why the CMs aren't what they used to be--not their fault, but the fault of Disney corporate for not teaching "the Disney way"), substandard food that is standardized across the board, the same merchandise that is cheaply made in every store (much of which you can find at Walmart, or the dollar store), and more. It is the same shows over and over, except when they cut shows. Some just disappear.

We've had no new rides in forever when Universal is adding and adding and adding. It has taken 3 years to get a minor kiddie roller coaster (that will not be a true headliner), and it isn't open yet!

Perhaps it's more that we know Disney isn't what it used to be. What it should be. What it could be again. We go for the rides, the nostalgia, because that is all that is left. And the nostalgia is running thin. Maybe were just tired of it all and this is the last straw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristibo42 View Post
More people cancelling Disney because of FP+. I say stay away. go someplace else. Leave Disney for the true DISNEY LOVERS!!!! The less people there the better. I can't believe people are so upset about this. Crazy. Yes I like FP but can still enjoy Disney if I can't get 100 of them.
True Disney lovers know more than you obviously do about Disney.
__________________
**Signature blocker!
rt2dz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #210
dwheaton
Mouseketeer
 
dwheaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt2dz View Post
OR, maybe, the people who go annually and have since the 1970s (talk about loyality) are more upset beccause they've seen the atmosphere go down over the years? Especially the last 12 years or so.

It used to be that you didn't see maintenance workers, but everything looked like opening day. It used to be customer service not only met expectations, but exceeded them by 300%, it used to be that food was actually worth eating, it used to be that you would see more entertainment than you could watch, it used to be you could shop in the stores and see a million different items of high quality, it used to be...

Now what we get is price increases, lowered training standards (which is why the CMs aren't what they used to be--not their fault, but the fault of Disney corporate for not teaching "the Disney way"), substandard food that is standardized across the board, the same merchandise that is cheaply made in every store (much of which you can find at Walmart, or the dollar store), and more. It is the same shows over and over, except when they cut shows. Some just disappear.

We've had no new rides in forever when Universal is adding and adding and adding. It has taken 3 years to get a minor kiddie roller coaster (that will not be a true headliner), and it isn't open yet!

Perhaps it's more that we know Disney isn't what it used to be. What it should be. What it could be again. We go for the rides, the nostalgia, because that is all that is left. And the nostalgia is running thin. Maybe were just tired of it all and this is the last straw.

True Disney lovers know more than you obviously do about Disney.
You hit the nail on the head with this post. I think part of the issues are just a symptom of more people going to the parks. The number of international visitors has skyrocketed even in the just the past 10 years. When you have to cater to more people, service and atmosphere will likely drop without expending more resources.

That said, it doesn't excuse "bad show" on the level that some have seen. Yes, the Disney parks can still offer an amazing vacation. Heck, I'd drop everything and go there tomorrow if I could. However, I do question the value in spending thousands of dollars when the guest isn't getting the same benefits that were received in the past.

This isn't really about FP+. That's just a symptom of a larger issue for me. It's the overall approach to planning and consideration of the guests from upper management. They're making huge profits, so they're going to keep following the same approach in the future.
dwheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: