Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #31
monty
DIS Veteran

If you are the type of person to stress over changes you can't control and the uncertainties of not knowing what else may change then you should cancel. No point going on a vacation if you are going to be stressed.
You have done the right thing for you.
2005 WDW: Wilderness Lodge
2008 WDW Wilderness Lodge
2010 Disneyland Paris

WDW and Disneyland on the one trip!
monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #32
cygnusx1jg
Mouseketeer

Emom wrote:
"So I am relieved to have it over and done with. Now I can start planning the next vacation, be it Disneyland, Universal or even Hawaii or Europe."

All the best to you and yours, but with the economy being as bad as it still is and with a high percentage of people out of work and/or barely getting by paycheck to paycheck, I'm not going to say "sorry" to you like others have.

Be grateful you can afford to go on vacation and that you have a job to take a vacation from. Not everyone can or does.
cygnusx1jg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #33
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnusx1jg View Post
Emom wrote:
"So I am relieved to have it over and done with. Now I can start planning the next vacation, be it Disneyland, Universal or even Hawaii or Europe."

All the best to you and yours, but with the economy being as bad as it still is and with a high percentage of people out of work and/or barely getting by paycheck to paycheck, I'm not going to say "sorry" to you like others have.

Be grateful you can afford to go on vacation and that you have a job to take a vacation from. Not everyone can or does.
What on earth makes you think the OP isn't grateful for the ability to go on vacation or to have a job??
Old 11-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #34
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnusx1jg View Post
Emom wrote:

Apples and oranges IMO. I don't think that being concerned about being a part of this change has anything to do with being employed. I do agree that it's good to be grateful to be able to afford to go though.

This thread makes me think that if Disney was just more upfront about plans and goals then maybe fewer people would so worried about what could happen. I see a lot of uncertainty in some of these posts and I feel that too and don't care for it.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #35
cygnusx1jg
Mouseketeer

A few of the replies to emom's original post were saying they were sorry that they had to cancel their trip.

I'm just trying to make a point that at least they are in a position to take a vacation.

Just so much whining on this board---makes me think about a passage in Howard Stern's first book.

The secret to life is enjoy, even if you are not enjoying. It's like trying to lose weight--stop eating so much! People say "I have to have things a certain way" or "This has to happen exactly the way I want it". Get put in prison and solitary confinement for a month and see how your perspective changes.

The American Adventure in EPCOT is right. No country has ever gotten better when so much emphasis is put upon their leisure.
cygnusx1jg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #36
tenaseewalker
Mouseketeer

I think it would be a lot better if they would just get rid of the fastpasses altogether. Let everyone stand in one line that moves a lot quicker. Fastpasses slows down the lines.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #37
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

I can't imagine canceling a trip because I couldn't double dip.

Is it not a possibility that you can opt OUT of FP+ and JUST pull old fashioned FP's?

If you can't do both you can do just one or the other?

Are the old fashioned FP's not going to be there anymore? Or is it only if you stay onsite and have FP+ that you cannot ALSO use the old fashioned FP's?

So basically all this staying on property so you can get FP+ and double dip is now backfiring and ppl are ONLY getting FP+ if you stay onsite? Meaning if you stay onsite you can ONLY use FP+ and NOT FP regular?
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #38
kathie859
DIS Veteran

OP--I agree that if planning and anticipating changes stress you out, you did the right thing in canceling your WDW trip.

I just don't get the angst. I guess it boils down to what type of vacationer you are. We plan an ADR for each day and research what park to do on what day but certainly don't feel the the success of the trip is tied to FP+ and/or the availability of FP. I understand WDW is in test mode and don't expect them to get it perfect from the get-go. If it's a big deal for patrons perhaps it's best to sit out while the product is being developed. Heck, we used to go to WDW with NO advance planning and always had a blast regardless of our ignorance
Old 11-08-2013, 11:16 PM   #39
Mom2darlingboys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathie859 View Post
I just don't get the angst. I guess it boils down to what type of vacationer you are. We plan an ADR for each day and research what park to do on what day but certainly don't feel the the success of the trip is tied to FP+ and/or the availability of FP. I understand WDW is in test mode and don't expect them to get it perfect from the get-go. If it's a big deal for patrons perhaps it's best to sit out while the product is being developed. Heck, we used to go to WDW with NO advance planning and always had a blast regardless of our ignorance
What bothers me most about these FP+ posts is that everyone is trying to tell everyone else how to enjoy their vacation. Kathie859, like you, I don't feel that getting FP makes or breaks my vacation, but it clearly does for the OP. Disney has changed the rules... their perogative. But, that doesn't mean it does or will work for all people. Would people willingly go to an expensive all-inclusive resort that is testing their kitchen, not knowing what kind of food you would get? No, because that simply wouldn't fly outside WDW.

I DO expect Disney to get something this big right before they roll it out. They are not a charity. People keep stressing that they are a business, and here to make money. This is DISNEY we are talking about - the paragons of service that companies the world over try to emulate. And, not only are they delivery sub-standard product and services, they are changing things and being practically secretive about it. People are putting their trust in them, and investing a lot of money to get the vacation that suits them, only to have rugs repeatedly pulled out from underneath them.

I understand why OP is cancelling her vacation, and I think it sucks that she has to.

May 2008 POFQ - May 2009 POFQ - May 2010 CBR - October 2011 POR - September 2012 BWV - February 2013 BC/Poly - December 2013 POR - May 2014 POR/POLY

Mom2darlingboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:22 PM   #40
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathie859 View Post
OP--I agree that if planning and anticipating changes stress you out, you did the right thing in canceling your WDW trip.

I agree with the PP that everyone vacations differently and what works for you or me won't necessarily work for everyone else.

For example, I love to see old historic buildings but I know that some people would go out of their minds if they trudged along with me. Some people I know love to shop or gamble but I'll take a pass. If riding a lot means a lot to someone then it just simply does.

I do agree that it's not a make or break situation for me either, at least not yet. They have definitely pushed my buttons a few times though.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:27 PM   #41
rebbyparker
DIS Veteran

Could we just express our sympathy without any snarky remarks? It really sucks that someone felt they had to cancel a Disney vacation because of what's currently happening with the parks. Period. No comments needed on how YOU do/don't do things, just sympathize. It sounds like the OP has a rough year, so some sympathy here might go a long way. Sheesh, common courtesy is sorely lacking on these boards lately.
rebbyparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:30 PM   #42
Kristine316
Mouseketeer

Every family is different so a one size answer does not fit all.

I keep reading on this forum about how there is so much more to do at Disney than pull FP's and ride rides. I have read on here more than a few times that soaking up the vibe of WDW should be good enough and it is almost implied if it isn't good enough there must be something wrong with those who feel that way.

Well, I don't see it that way at all... that maybe good for some people but, this attitude that if it is good for them it should also be good enough for everyone else, is a narrow minded view in my opinion.

My family loves the rides. Quite honestly that is why we go to WDW. We do not like the shows or parades and while walking about, shopping and soaking up the atmosphere can be fun, we are primarily there to ride the rides.. period. We happily have paid 6k for a WDW vacation because in the past we went at slower times of the year and rode as many rides as we could fit in, utilizing FP as much as we could.

We are just like the OP's family who rode our favorites multiple times, and we pulled many FP's because frankly, if you are going to ride things several times you need the FP's. Only being able to pull 3 FP's is a huge disadvantage to a family who is used to pulling many more than that per day. On top of that reports seem to be the stand by lines are now taking much longer.. so either way you look at it, things seem to be definitely changing for those who are used to riding a ton of rides on their WDW vacations.

I understand for many just being at WDW is the important thing and I say that's great for those people... WDW will continue to be an amazing vacation for them.. I just wish some on here would acknowledge that for some other folks WDW will be different and those differences are not necessarily positive.
Instead we get this attitude that those who voice concern or hold off on their WDW vacation are "whiny, complainers, negative".

What is a good value for some is not a good value for others because we all look for different things on our WDW vacations.
Kristine316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:36 PM   #43
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

We love the headliners and can do RnR, ToT, EE, etc. 5-8 times per day. Happily. Getting to ride them only once or twice per day would be torture for us. But we see/do plenty of other things since we get there early and stay late. And although this latest trip was only for 7 days, we usually visit for 10-12 days, with 10 consecutive days being spent in the parks. Ten days of loooooong touring days allows you to see and do a great deal. I remember how happy my DD was to do Sum of All Thrills six times in a row. That is our way of touring. We tour hard. But we've never had to work hard at it. It was always easy until now.

For the poster who gave Disneyland advice, we have decided that if we go, we'll do it M-Fri and do other things on the weekend. But I have a lot of research to do first.

For the poster who pointed out I should be grateful we can go on vacation and that I have a job.......Well, my DH has a job. He wishes I had one. And I never said I was ungrateful. Why in the world would your mind go there? Just because I recognize that a particular vacation may no longer be a good fit for us does not make me ungrateful. It merely makes me a thinking, reasoning human being. I don't see that as whining......just facing reality and making a well thought out decision based on the facts. I'll turn down the offer to hang out in a prison, especially solitary confinement. I prefer to stay out of jail and can appreciate my life without self torture.

It's not whining or lack of gratitude. It's just my decision regarding a vacation. That's all.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #44
disnut1149
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine316 View Post

I keep reading on this forum about how there is so much more to do at Disney than pull FP's and ride rides. I have read on here more than a few times that soaking up the vibe of WDW should be good enough and it is almost implied if it isn't good enough there must be something wrong with those who feel that way.

Well, I don't see it that way at all... that maybe good for some people but, this attitude that if it is good for them it should also be good enough for everyone else, is a narrow minded view in my opinion.

My family loves the rides. Quite honestly that is why we go to WDW. We do not like the shows or parades and while walking about, shopping and soaking up the atmosphere can be fun, we are primarily there to ride the rides.. period. We happily have paid 6k for a WDW vacation because in the past we went at slower times of the year and rode as many rides as we could fit in, utilizing FP as much as we could.

We are just like the OP's family who rode our favorites multiple times, and we pulled many FP's because frankly, if you are going to ride things several times you need the FP's. Only being able to pull 3 FP's is a huge disadvantage to a family who is used to pulling many more than that per day. On top of that reports seem to be the stand by lines are now taking much longer.. so either way you look at it, things seem to be definitely changing for those who are used to riding a ton of rides on their WDW vacations.

I understand for many just being at WDW is the important thing and I say that's great for those people... WDW will continue to be an amazing vacation for them.. I just wish some on here would acknowledge that for some other folks WDW will be different and those differences are not necessarily positive.
Instead we get this attitude that those who voice concern or hold off on their WDW vacation are "whiny, complainers, negative".

What is a good value for some is not a good value for others because we all look for different things on our WDW vacations.
Great post!!
1972 Offsite, 1978 Offsite, 1980 Dutch Inn, 1989 Comfort Inn, 1990 CBR, 1993 Peabody, 1996 AllStar Sports, 1997 Dixie Landings, 2000 Holiday Inn Family Suites, 2001 Marriott World Center, 2004 Pop Century, 2005 Pop Century, 2006 Pop Century Aug & Dec, 2007 Pop Century Aug & CSR Dec., 2008 WL & POFQ Aug. & AS Sports Dec., 2009 Pop Aug., Pop Oct & CBR Dec., 2010 POR Sept & CBR Oct., 2011 CSR May & Pop & Akl
Nov., 2014 CSR Sept., 2015 AS Sports Aug.
disnut1149 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #45
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

Thanks for getting it. We vacation hard wherever we go. Amusement park? Ride, ride, ride. Europe? Museums, cathedrals, tours, cafes, sightseeing until we're ready to drop. The beach? Snorkelling, swimming, volleyball, etc. We can rest and relax at home. When we went to Versailles, we arrived at opening and were literally the last two people to leave that evening. We walked between 10-12 miles that day and loved every minute of it. I can and do, sit on my duff at home, but not on vacation.

We love the atmosphere at WDW, but if the headliners and thrill rides disappeared tomorrow, we'd never visit again. They are too much of the appeal for us. We are ride junkies. Big rides, small rides, thrill rides, kiddie rides. We do them all and we repeat them as often as we can.

We have dear friends who practically live at WDW, but they are largely a family of what we call "ride chickens." They will see every show, tour every little nook of Epcot, ride a few mild rides and be happy as a family of clams. More power to them! It's what makes them happy. It's night and day from us, but we're fine with that and would never tell them they were touring the "wrong way" or did not show enough appreciation for what appeals to us.

When I was in high school, my class went to Six Flags and because it was drizzly and a low attendance day, they let us ride the biggest, baddest roller coaster 18 times in a row. And I loved it! Some classmates rode it once or twice and got off, having had enough. Everyone is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine316 View Post

EMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: