Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #16
wen8jr
DIS Veteran

Good for you really. All of this has me not so relaxed for our upcoming trip too and we even think FP+ may have worked well for us.

We are doing our normal split stay with Universal as well...and I'm really just considering cancelling Disney and doing all Uni (which we've done before). Or just cancelling both altogether and going somewhere new like to the Virgin Islands. Or saving the money and doing an extra long Hawaii next year.

Throughout planning this trip...I have been finding myself holding back on buying the tickets, buying things to pack, etc. It all started for us with the Free Dining fiasco, where we were pushed in a corner to select a resort and a higher priced room we didn't want, treated poorly by CM on the phone, booking a package which I ended up cancelling and going room only through Travelocity to get POFQ.

I've looked over at DH and said, "we are for sure going?" every time I took another step. He'd ask, if you buy the tickets can you use them later? I've never had that happen to me on any of our trips. Sort of sad and it has taken a lot of the fun out of it for me as part of my fun is the planning.

I don't want to get overly dramatic. I guess for me it come down to, I'm paying 6K....for that? Has me questioning if I'm just crazy to spend that much to fight crowds, worry about FP, etc. I really feel a different style of vacation might be more satisfying and relaxing for us this year.

I may wake up one morning soon and just cancel too if I can't get out this funk about the whole thing. Maybe I just need to sit down and just focus on the good times I've had in the past.
wen8jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #17
kapoof
DIS Veteran

We went two months ago and never used a fast pass. We arrived early and rode everything we wanted...I really hate fast pass. Such a pain and it turns into a nightmare trying to plan everything around.

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #18
pattibehan
Mouseketeer

I am sorry you cancelled your trip. We go in 25 days, and always stay off site due to a big family. We are AP holders, and FP+ not being available to us had me make changes to our trip. We are doing SeaWorld and Universal, and just doing the holiday things at Disney..makes me sad

Me(57)DH(56)DS(18)DS(17)

2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010(two trips), 2011 (three trips), 2012(three trips) 2013(three trips) 2014 (one down, one to go !)
pattibehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #19
IndianaPrincess
Mouseketeer

This is exactly how I felt about our oct trip to disneyland. We booked and paid for our trip with the understanding of the GAC for my son. Well that was replaced with DAC and we became guinea pigs for the new system. No option to cancel, just accept it for us. I think it's smart to let the dust settle on all of this. We are going for one day next month and telling the kids to pick just one ride each that we'll make a priority.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #20
focusondisney

I'll need some Boo Boo fun
Oh come on! You didn't even give anyone a chance to follow the rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapoof View Post
We went two months ago and never used a fast pass. We arrived early and rode everything we wanted...I really hate fast pass. Such a pain and it turns into a nightmare trying to plan everything around.
I'm assuming you went in September ( 2 months ago?). September is about the slowest time of year at WDW. We've gone in September for several years & hardly even need fastpasses, except for biggest headliners. There is no comparing the wait times in September to busy periods. That's when fastpass was really effective.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #21
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMom View Post
For us, it was sizing up to be an expensive hot mess. I told them when we canceled that we were waiting until the dust settled to see if we'd be back again. Until then, we may hit Universal again or even Disneyland.

Oh well..............
I can certainly understand and I commiserate!

I will NOT pay thousands of dollars to be a guinea pig for a mouse!
Old 11-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #22
kapoof
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusondisney View Post
I'm assuming you went in September ( 2 months ago?). September is about the slowest time of year at WDW. We've gone in September for several years & hardly even need fastpasses, except for biggest headliners. There is no comparing the wait times in September to busy periods. That's when fastpass was really effective.
Yes we were in septmber, but we have also been in March, June and January, with heavy crowds. We have gotten passes for rides like soarn, and test trak, that same day. I would not plan weeks out for rides via fast passes. How silly! I also wouldn't cancel a trip over fast passes. One can still have fun at disney without using them

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #23
WILDERNESS FAN 55
CANNOT GET ENOUGH

Can't wait for our Dec trip. FP+ is the way of the future so I'm just going to embrace it !! I see no stress in it at all. WDW is just plain old fun no matter what ride or attraction or show you are doing.

Off site 72-76-76-77-78(MM 50th b-day) 79-81-82-85-86 FW-84-86-88-90-90-91-92-95-96
Poly 87 GF 88 CR 90 CBR 91-06-10
Disney Inn 93 ASM 95-96-02 CS 98
POFQ 97 DIXIE Landing 00 POR 07-08 WL-11
DL-Honeymoon-77 03 OKW -13 BLT-13 BWV-13
Trips planned 2015 WDW 2016 Aulani 2017 WDW XMAS
WILDERNESS FAN 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #24
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

You know, I am not bitter or angry at all. I am somewhat disappointed, as this was likely the last year we would be able to pull DD out of school for a trip. We were only going to pull her out for three days, so as to get a jump on Thanksgiving, but it was our last chance. The first half of the trip would probably have had low crowds, but the second half as we approached Thanksgiving was another matter.

I'd say "relieved" best describes how I feel. No more anxiety about whether we'll blow a small fortune on a trip that goes south. I think people fall into one of four categories, so long as they even begin to understand what is going on with FP+.

1. FP+ will probably work with our touring style, so we are going to WDW and figure we'll have a good time.

2. FP+ could be bad or good for us. We're just not sure. So we'll go and take our chances, since it's better to be at WDW than at work.

3. FP+ looks like it will not be a good fit for our family, but we're going and crossing our fingers it's not a disaster.

4. FP+ looks like it will not be a good fit for our family, and we are not willing to risk our vacation time and dollars on a vacation that is stacking up to be unfulfilling, so we will cancel.

So much depends on your touring style and family preferences. I know our family and I know what we are used to (and what we expect) from WDW. This trip won't provide us with that and with the year we've had, we cannot handle a minefield of a vacation.

So I am relieved to have it over and done with. Now I can start planning the next vacation, be it Disneyland, Universal or even Hawaii or Europe. Again, we'll look at WDW once this mess is settled and see whether it is a good fit for us or not. A girl can hope.

I appreciate you all being so understanding and supportive.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #25
cewewee
Earning My Ears

Do you mind sharing what your adrs were? We are going that week and I have 3 days that I haven't been able to get ressies for. I'm sorry you had to cancel. I'm a bit concerned about all this fp stuff, too.
cewewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #26
Ametista
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=EMom;50032939
4. FP+ looks like it will not be a good fit for our family, and we are not willing to risk our vacation time and dollars on a vacation that is stacking up to be unfulfilling, so we will cancel.
[/QUOTE]

This is what it comes down to. I love Florida and Kissimmee, but we have such high stress jobs/normal life that we MUST relax on vacation. We have a March 2014 reservation in an offsite home and I am still not sure about it. We just might end up on a 10 day Maui trip. Worse things have happened to people!

Only problem with that being the last time we went to Maui DS complained that, despite loving the snorkeling, there were no roller coasters.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #27
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewewee View Post
Do you mind sharing what your adrs were? We are going that week and I have 3 days that I haven't been able to get ressies for. I'm sorry you had to cancel. I'm a bit concerned about all this fp stuff, too.
I had one for EIGHT people on 11/26 for Kona Cafe at 7:15.

The rest below are all for three people:

CRT 11/20 at 2:10

50s PT Cafe on 11/21 at 4:15 and 7:45

Boma 11/22 at 5:45

Garden Grill 11/23 at 7:10

Sci Fi 11/24 at 1:45

Mama Melrose 11/24 at 7:35

Raglan Road 11/25 at 7:15

Hope you can get one or more of those!
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #28
Disnerdette
Earning My Ears

Sorry to hear you're canceling your trip. I hope you'll check out DLR and do your due diligence with research ahead of time (as we are all interested in doing!) but keep in mind, DLR has exponentially more local AP holders who visit the parks after work and on the weekends (when they aren't blocked out) which makes for quiet mornings and very busy afternoons/evenings. We were visiting three weeks ago on a day that was forecasted to be moderately busy, and the park was at 93% capacity by 1 pm in the afternoon on a AP block out (except for Premium) day. I've come to realize that any Disney park is pretty much going to be busy regardless, so I go in expecting long lines, and when they're short I'm pleasantly surprised!

wdw to do list:
*expedition everest *victoria & alberts *maelstrom *spaceship earth *test track *hall of presidents

dl to do list:
*dole whip *enchanted tiki room *casey jr *storybook canal boats *lilly belle
Disnerdette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #29
coozieman
Mouseketeer

I love FP as much as the next guy, but could never imagine canceling my trip over it.....too many other things to see, hear, explore, taste, experience at Disney...

Just my .02
coozieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #30
afnaechiquita
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coozieman View Post
I love FP as much as the next guy, but could never imagine canceling my trip over it.....too many other things to see, hear, explore, taste, experience at Disney...

Just my .02
mte. i understand if your family is used to pulling FPs all day, you're going to be frustrated, but there's much to learn about and enjoy in disney without doing the headliners.
WDW (off-site) '90 - Caribbean Beach '07 - French Quarter '08 - Riverside '11 - Riverside '12 - Tokyo DisneySea '12 (one-post quick TR here!) - DLR (off-site) '13 - Grand Californian '14 (presidential suite tour here!) - Yacht Club '14
Princess Half Marathoner '11 - '12 - GSC '14 for runGKTW! - training for DLH '14 for SOSC!

afnaechiquita is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: