Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #946
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

We got back yesterday.

No problems either way, and we made pretty good time. Going down, we took 75-turnpike-4. Except we stayed overnight at a Days Inn in Lake City. DD25 made the reservations, and she didn't realize she made them for the Days Inn about seven miles off of I-75 on I-10. Oh well.

Coming home, we took the 4-95-26-40-75 route. We spent the night at my in-laws who live in Grainger County, TN. We made real good time coming home...DD25 drove most of the way, and she averaged close to 80 MPH. Still thinks she drives too fast.

Probably no more Disney trip until sometime in either 2019 or 2020. Maybe we can sneak in a day somewhere between now and then. We will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
Old 11-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #947
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post
We got back yesterday.

Probably no more Disney trip until sometime in either 2019 or 2020. Maybe we can sneak in a day somewhere between now and then. We will see.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2013, 08:13 AM   #948
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
'Fraid so. But at least I got a new siggy. Hope you like it.

Quote:
Won't be 2014. Planning for my youngest DD's wedding. And we have to visit my eldest DD in Louisiana. At least once. Maybe twice. And we'll be driving. We don't pay ten zillion dollars just to go through a TSA scan.

We did take DGD5 to a day at Disney when she was about 15 months old. Maybe we can manage it with our next grandchild (date of arrival TBD).

Quote:
All the best.
As always, to you too.

Quote:

Old 11-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #949
amcnj
DIS Veteran

Good travels to all on the roads or soon to be. At least gas prices are still moving downward. Many stations are $3.05 in my area now, so they definitely must be below $3 in other parts of the state.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #950
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Saw 3.059 at the Hess station on the way into WDW today.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #951
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
Saw 3.059 at the Hess station on the way into WDW today.
Thanks for the encouraing report!

Now then... it's time to use monorails, launches and other forms of WDW transportation to get you to your next destination!

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 11-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #952
your friend
Mouseketeer

We hit the road in 21 hours!!!!:wave2 ::driv e:

Trips
Pop Century: Nov. 2011
Boardwalk Inn: Nov. 2013
Art of Animation: Dec.2014

Old 11-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #953
Jhuff8181
Mousenut

Due to finances and current airline prices it looks like we will be making the drive from New Hampshire to WDW in January. There will be seven of us in a Suburban ages 53, 52, 25, 24, 18, 15 and 12 so there are many drivers (that is if I let anyone else drive). We plan on leaving about 6:00am on a Sunday driving straight through and hoping to arrive by 9:00am Monday. My question is more about the drive home. What time do you usually leave WDW for the trip home? Since it is never a great trip leaving WDW what do you do to lighten it up a bit?

1996 & 98 Offsite 2000 Offsite and WL 2002 OKW 2003 OKW 2004 OKW2004 BWV 2005 OKW 2006 WL and OKW 2006 WL 2007 OKW 2008 SS and OKW
2012 POR 2013 POR: 2014 POP
Old 11-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #954
nono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhuff8181 View Post
What time do you usually leave WDW for the trip home?
We only go back to VA Beach on day 1. I am a good morning driver, so we leave at 6 a.m. I don't love I-4 and find it's most loveable fairly early in the morning. YMMV.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #955
sersee05
DIS Veteran

Hey any fellow jerseyites! WE have decided to drive from South Jersey to WDW....why thank you for the applause, so kind! Anyhow we did it a loooooong way back .

Straight down the lovely yellow brick 95 and trust me we wanted to click our heels and go home. 95 had a bad accident ...not one where people hold up traffic to look to see if there is any blood or anything but bad enough to shut down all of 95 southbound.

It added hours and hours to our trip. We ended up stopping at Walmart and getting one of those giant map books...remember those? We ended up taking back roads . Anyhow we had a plan to stop and we did in Savannah.

My husband being the adventurous driving loving soul that he is has decided to not stop and just get our butts down there.

Sooooo I am assuming it is 95 all the way What are some of the routes you all take? What have you found is the best time to leave? All I care about is getting through that horrible Dc area..sorry peeps from dc...but your 495 just isn't fun.

I don't know if we would be able to handle driving all night long..we are delicate flowers who are exhausted most of the time... Seriously..my husband and I usually can't make it past ten o clock without falling asleep..
Old 11-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #956
patclairesmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sersee05 View Post
Hey any fellow jerseyites! WE have decided to drive from South Jersey to WDW....why thank you for the applause, so kind! Anyhow we did it a loooooong way back .

Straight down the lovely yellow brick 95 and trust me we wanted to click our heels and go home. 95 had a bad accident ...not one where people hold up traffic to look to see if there is any blood or anything but bad enough to shut down all of 95 southbound.

It added hours and hours to our trip. We ended up stopping at Walmart and getting one of those giant map books...remember those? We ended up taking back roads . Anyhow we had a plan to stop and we did in Savannah.

My husband being the adventurous driving loving soul that he is has decided to not stop and just get our butts down there.

Sooooo I am assuming it is 95 all the way What are some of the routes you all take? What have you found is the best time to leave? All I care about is getting through that horrible Dc area..sorry peeps from dc...but your 495 just isn't fun.

I don't know if we would be able to handle driving all night long..we are delicate flowers who are exhausted most of the time... Seriously..my husband and I usually can't make it past ten o clock without falling asleep..
Yeah, you made it over

Old 11-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #957
sersee05
DIS Veteran

lololol you must think i am a total ding dong...lol
Old 11-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #958
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:

Welcome to the thread! We drive at least once a year, sometimes more, and we have our system pretty well "down." We leave from west of Philly, so we usually jump on the Blue Route or 202 to hit 95.

If you leave on a weekday, we recommend leaving 9 am and driving 12-14 hours, then sleep over in North Georgia (Savannah area). You can get up the next morning, eat breakfast at the hotel and hit the road aroun 9-9:30. Stop at the Florida Welcome Center for free OJ, then back on the road. That will get you to WDW around 2 or 3 pm. You'll be well-rested and ready to hit the parks. It's worth the money to pay for that hotel room. Just mentally prepare yourself for the time. On a weekend, you can leave earlier. But - Fridays and Saturdays in the summer always suck, so you should leave home by 4 am to avoid the problem.

Some roads we take: either stay on 95 or do 495 East, never take 495 west around DC. It's always a problem.

295 around Richmond is nice, a little longer but less stressful. 295 around Jacksonville is also nice, although the construction is generally over, so it's a lot smoother through there. The big tip I always make is taking 417 off I-4 at Sanford. It's a toll road, but so much less busy. Driving through Orlando is always such a stressful situation, there's usually traffic or accidents with tourists and locals. To us, it's worth the tolls of $7.50 or so.

My other tip - get a good I-95 Exit Guide and use it to plan out your rest stops, etc. Also try to eat at local restaurants rather than chains. I have gotten upset stomach more than once from a Cracker Barrel, McDonald's, Zaxby's, even Steak & Shake was a little rough. Roadfood.com is another good source.

You can do it!

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 11-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #959
nono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What are some of the routes you all take? What have you found is the best time to leave?
Seriously, when you are awake. We've done overnights well when I could take naps the 2-3 days prior to departure (since I do the majority of overnight driving). We've done long day first day. We've done long day second day. All depends on how we're feeling and when we can break away from regular life.

But whatever you do, figure out how to avoid morning and evening rush hour around DC on weekdays. That's the number one rule. Have fun planning!
Old 11-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #960
sersee05
DIS Veteran

Oh yes! I know about the Dc area...definitely want to skip that nonsense. Lol when your awake....That works !

My concern is the driving straight through..How long has it take people from the Jersey area?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: