Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #1066
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
What an amazingly full last day you had! I love how you started with the fresh fruit and yogurt!

Lots of great pics with characters! I think the ones with Goofy are my favorite... but then again, how sweet is it that Chip...or was it Dale?? kissed your hand.
It was a lovely lovely last day, the characters were fun and it's always a kick to see Jeff getting into it (as much as he protests otherwise)

I could eat fresh fruit and yogurt every day. In fact, I did today. LOL!

Quote:
I am so glad the id was not lost. What luck to have an eager to help young man dive for them! I am sure your day would not have ended so nicely had he not recovered them for you.
No kidding! That would have been a major game changer.

Quote:
Lunch pool side looked good, but i think I am even more impressed with your last meal.
I loved my dinner it was SO good! Yeah, double tuna but I am rather predictable that way. LOL!

Quote:
Too bad the rain came in just toward then end. I guess it had to in order to get your ready to be home.
It's horrible but it made us happy and so much easier to leave!

Quote:
AND I am so very impressed with your time at your very first 10k!! You are going to be so ready for the DL half!!!
Thanks! I am pretty happy to know I'll get an ok corral now even if I don't do anything else before then. And, I know this sounds a bit odd but I felt a lot better about it maybe not really being a total fluke once I did the math backwards. It did illustrate to be something I'd suspected. I don't truly push myself while training. I've known that but always figured that's just how fast I go. I'd read that race pace can or even should be 00:45+ than slow or easy pace...just didn't really necessarily think that's what I was doing. I could tell I'd pushed it though in just how my legs felt the next day and how Tuesday's run was though but...those are good things I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
I am not surprised that you did so well for your first 10K! Great job!
Thanks! I was shocked as all get out, it was a good 3-4 minutes faster than I'd been hoping for. Very pleased.

Quote:
To book FP+ or not to book.... yikes. I'd probably book just a couple for your family and tell the rest of the travel party ahead of time that you are testing the new system for Disney so are doing a good deed for guests everywhere. That's a tough one for sure.
I've decided to book. Right now both are working and I hope, and pray that is still the case. I do hope I can copy our choices over to my sister and her boys once she gets tickets, that will be a relief. I've booked 5 days worth for all of us, and day 6 for me. I can't do more than that on Jeff and the boys until we get there as they have 5 day hoppers and it won't let me book more than the media is worth.

Assuming my nephew isn't coming, which is increasingly likely (my mom wants to buy his ticket, my dad doesn't and his parents have made it clear they are saving money for other things...which is going to visit his brother at the end of his year long exchange in Italy...). So, if he gets a trip to Italy instead, it does lessen the pain. But based on that I'm going to work the system a bit. I'm putting my parents on our BWV villa reservation, which would get them MDE, DME, bands and FP+ and then my other Sister and BIL on our THV ressie so they get the same. It won't be a full overlap but everyone will get some of the benefits and that makes me very happy.

Quote:
At least you were able to enjoy some relaxation, good food, a few cocktails, and shopping on your last day. That would be great on any day but throw in being in Hawaii - perfect!

How funny that you left rain and you came home to rain.
It was a great last day, couldn't have been better and even the rain seemed appropriate!
Old 11-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #1067
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Really well done on the 10K. Your NYE trip is going to be here before you know it. Lovely last day, I bet the rain really did help with leaving but still it must be difficult to leave paradise!
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #1068
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
It was a lovely lovely last day, the characters were fun and it's always a kick to see Jeff getting into it (as much as he protests otherwise)
Men are silly that way aren't they!!!

Quote:
Thanks! I am pretty happy to know I'll get an ok corral now even if I don't do anything else before then.
Nope... I don't think you will get an OK corral. I think you will get an EXCELLENT corral!!!

Quote:
And, I know this sounds a bit odd but I felt a lot better about it maybe not really being a total fluke once I did the math backwards. It did illustrate to be something I'd suspected. I don't truly push myself while training. I've known that but always figured that's just how fast I go. I'd read that race pace can or even should be 00:45+ than slow or easy pace...just didn't really necessarily think that's what I was doing. I could tell I'd pushed it though in just how my legs felt the next day and how Tuesday's run was though but...those are good things I think.
Maybe that is my trouble... I am always just pushing enough. So then on my races... I am right where my training is. Except for the RD events.... those my pace suffers. BUT I am right about where they calculate me to finish based on my POT, so maybe it doesn't suffer as much as I think it does.
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #1069
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

Cynthia, sorry that I haven't commented on your recent updates yet - I have read them all and enjoyed them very much!!

But I just found this news blurb: http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/mymagi...this-month.htm

Seems like they get at least FP+ ability at the Swan and Dolphin. How useful that will be if not pre-booked is questionable. But at least things are moving there...
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #1070
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

I had so much fun this morning catching up on all of your adventures. Congratulations on your 10K! Awesome!!

Hurrah for DIS meets! So many nice people around these parts!

How cool that you got to visit with family while in Hawaii! And, yes, that mango does look good! One of my favorite fruits.

The scenery around the island as well as the resort is just stunning. Hawaii is definitely on my bucket list. Now just to find the time/points/money.

Love the lounge for people leaving later in the day. What a great idea. I wish they had them in the regular WDW resorts.

Yikes to the weather when you got home - definitely in stark contrast to where you'd been!

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Looking forward to seeing your souvenirs!

2xcited2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #1071
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Really well done on the 10K. Your NYE trip is going to be here before you know it. Lovely last day, I bet the rain really did help with leaving but still it must be difficult to leave paradise!
Thanks, I am glad to have the first real "race" behind me even if it was only a 10K.

The rain really did help with leaving but we definitely enjoyed every minute before it, and even during it.

Quote:
Men are silly that way aren't they!!!
Very silly!

Quote:
Nope... I don't think you will get an OK corral. I think you will get an EXCELLENT corral!!!
Well we will see, it is very possible that it won't be all that different from what it might have been had I come in the 3-4 minutes slower that I thought I would. I think it puts me one corral better but that's possibly it. The breakdowns/brackets have been interesting and Disney seems to use a "slower" calculator predictor than most out there. If I use the slower one I've found then I suspect I will just miss the cut off for an excellent one and instead be in a very good one. With the changes in more corrals and smaller ones it will definitely change the placement for sure, you can really see the difference when you look at the W&D assignments. So for example with that time, assuming the slower calculator it'd put me at:

Princess 2013 - A
Disneyland Half 2013 - B
Wine and Dine Half 2013 - D (but spitting at C lol)

I expect the 2014 Disneyland Half to be much more like the W&D breakdown. We will see though! The WDW 1/2 breakdowns will be an indicator as well.

Quote:
Maybe that is my trouble... I am always just pushing enough. So then on my races... I am right where my training is. Except for the RD events.... those my pace suffers. BUT I am right about where they calculate me to finish based on my POT, so maybe it doesn't suffer as much as I think it does.
You have some seriously fast training runs, I don't come anywhere close to that. So yes, that makes sense that you are more consistent that way. At the end of the day as long as it feels good and you are out there, that is what really matter. RD is such a different animal I think, with the volume of people, the heat, the characters (and I want to hear the solo runner saga on that!) that I'd expect it to be slower across the board for most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Cynthia, sorry that I haven't commented on your recent updates yet - I have read them all and enjoyed them very much!!

But I just found this news blurb: http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/mymagi...this-month.htm

Seems like they get at least FP+ ability at the Swan and Dolphin. How useful that will be if not pre-booked is questionable. But at least things are moving there...
It may give them a slight edge for planning later FP's and knowing things aren't gone if they get in the park and use it first thing but that's about all I think.

I have actually decided to work the system a little bit to give them an advantage, it is a bit convoluted (as much of my planning is lol) so will save that for the PTR. LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
I had so much fun this morning catching up on all of your adventures. Congratulations on your 10K! Awesome!!
Thanks! It was very soggy but a positive first experience and really I couldn't ask for more than that.

Quote:
Hurrah for DIS meets! So many nice people around these parts!
Yes there are! I need to get my act in gear and figure out meets for Dec/Jan. I did get my May return flight though now I just need to get down there!

Quote:
How cool that you got to visit with family while in Hawaii! And, yes, that mango does look good! One of my favorite fruits.
That was definitely a highlight, we had so much fun with them!

Quote:
The scenery around the island as well as the resort is just stunning. Hawaii is definitely on my bucket list. Now just to find the time/points/money.
Isn't that always the issue?? I am having to dip into some points I think so I can upgrade for our DLR trip so my mom can stay with it and it's like GAH those were for something else!

Quote:
Love the lounge for people leaving later in the day. What a great idea. I wish they had them in the regular WDW resorts.
I do too, it was such a lovely option. I do struggle with pool time on the last day at WDW when we have a late flight and this was lovely!

Quote:
Yikes to the weather when you got home - definitely in stark contrast to where you'd been!
Quite the welcome home, huh!

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Looking forward to seeing your souvenirs!
I should be getting those up today and if I am lucky...new PTR very soon!
Old 11-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #1072
CarolynK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I've decided to book. Right now both are working and I hope, and pray that is still the case. I do hope I can copy our choices over to my sister and her boys once she gets tickets, that will be a relief. I've booked 5 days worth for all of us, and day 6 for me. I can't do more than that on Jeff and the boys until we get there as they have 5 day hoppers and it won't let me book more than the media is worth.
I have a question for you, do you have a park ticket currently, other than the PAP voucher?? If not, how are you able to use the FP+ system? We have AP vouchers but there are no numbers on the back. I'm kind of worried - that once we get to WDW we won't be able to get any FP's at all during a very busy week, with lots of people using the new system (arriving 12/26)!! But, I don't think we can do anything until we get our actual AP's at arrival....

Upcoming: 12/21/14-12/28/14 WDW**2/27/15-3/3/15 WDW
CarolynK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:54 PM   #1073
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynK View Post
I have a question for you, do you have a park ticket currently, other than the PAP voucher?? If not, how are you able to use the FP+ system? We have AP vouchers but there are no numbers on the back. I'm kind of worried - that once we get to WDW we won't be able to get any FP's at all during a very busy week, with lots of people using the new system (arriving 12/26)!! But, I don't think we can do anything until we get our actual AP's at arrival....
I hear you! That is exactly why I did it. I have a PAP voucher. Not really even a voucher just a verbal confirmation number. Which, shockingly (as is been told both it would and wouldn't work...and didn't a couple of months ago when I tried) worked!

I linked it online using only the confirmation number. I will still have to pick it up so I have the actual pass as well but it was amazingly easy.

I really thought I couldn't do anything till I got there either. I'd try with your confirmation numbers and that doesn't work, call. As long as you've set up MDE and linked your ressie, you should be ok and you've still got a few weeks to customize bands.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:21 AM   #1074
CarolynK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I hear you! That is exactly why I did it. I have a PAP voucher. Not really even a voucher just a verbal confirmation number. Which, shockingly (as is been told both it would and wouldn't work...and didn't a couple of months ago when I tried) worked!

I linked it online using only the confirmation number. I will still have to pick it up so I have the actual pass as well but it was amazingly easy.

I really thought I couldn't do anything till I got there either. I'd try with your confirmation numbers and that doesn't work, call. As long as you've set up MDE and linked your ressie, you should be ok and you've still got a few weeks to customize bands.
I'm SO glad I asked you!! Who'd have thought that 17-digit insignificant-looking number on the back of our vouchers (which, BTW, I needed a magnifying glass to see!) was actually significant!! My husband and I have just planned out most of our stay...which is weird, for us! We're NOT really planners, but it has always worked for us. This trip may actually be the first time we get on Toy Story at HS (seriously, never done it)!! Thanks for the advice

Upcoming: 12/21/14-12/28/14 WDW**2/27/15-3/3/15 WDW
CarolynK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #1075
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynK View Post
I'm SO glad I asked you!! Who'd have thought that 17-digit insignificant-looking number on the back of our vouchers (which, BTW, I needed a magnifying glass to see!) was actually significant!! My husband and I have just planned out most of our stay...which is weird, for us! We're NOT really planners, but it has always worked for us. This trip may actually be the first time we get on Toy Story at HS (seriously, never done it)!! Thanks for the advice
Yay !!!!! I am so glad it worked. Aren't those numbers ridiculous? My PAP was by far the easiest, the 5 5day hoppers were a nightmare and I've still another 5 to enter once folks get tickets!!
Old 11-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #1076
GoofyFan1515
DIS Veteran

Congrats to both of you on the 10k!

Glad things are coming together for the New Year's trip!

Pool time, bar time, good food and rain? Well, you were leaving paradise for home, so I guess you can't expect it to be perfect.
GoofyFan1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #1077
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Congrats on the 10K !!! I finally started my TR on the October Trip !! Been working LONG hours and doing 8 Memory Books, which I finally finished today !!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #1078
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyFan1515 View Post
Congrats to both of you on the 10k!
Thanks! It was a lot of fun

Quote:
Glad things are coming together for the New Year's trip!
They are! I've been busy with some of it lately and have neglected wrapping this one up as a result, I need to get busy!

Quote:
Pool time, bar time, good food and rain? Well, you were leaving paradise for home, so I guess you can't expect it to be perfect.
Well that is true, nothing like rain to provide a reality check huh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Congrats on the 10K !!! I finally started my TR on the October Trip !! Been working LONG hours and doing 8 Memory Books, which I finally finished today !!!
Hi Rosie! I am SOOOO behind, I have got to get over there and to your new TR. I will be there I promise! I guess the good news is the dinner club I thought I was hosting next monday night, was actually last night so I don't have to clean all weekend like I'd been planning on
Old 11-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #1079
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Aloha and Mahalo Aulani!

All good things must come to an end, even a week in paradise. We were back in soggy Seattle but we did bring home a few things to remind us of our amazing week away.

For me

For Jeff

For a Christmas in July gift exchange I participated in

For the Boys

For Eric

Evan

Our Spa goodies

Jeff snagged the paper and pen

This was also supposed to be for Evan

They were showing it as a guys shirt but on...well it wasn't at all! evan wasn't a fan of sleeves slightly too short and...a scoop neck (well on him it's scooped lol).

It's mine now. I wear it more than the one I bought for myself.

We didn't get K&T anything, with T off at college and K at her mom's they didn't get "ditched" like the E's did so no real consolation prize. Plus, both have been to Hawaii before and the E's still have not.

A few final thoughts.

Rooms and Views
For us, having that ocean view room was critical. It would not have been the same trip without it. Would we use it quite as much with the kids there? Maybe not as much, but still quite a lot. It is a lot more points and to that end, for a late pm arrival, saving on the view and moving was a great thing for us.

Dining
Monkeypod, Monkeypod, Monkeypod! What else is there to say. Clearly we loved it there. We did enjoy the Character Breakfast and loved AMA AMA as well. Other than the “well done burger” problem at Off the Hoook we were overall quite pleased with the food. Yes it’s expensive. It is Hawaii resort expensive. Getting groceries for breakfast and lunch and a couple of dinners helped offset the cost and even though it was a little more work to pack appropriately to grill dinner out of a studio, I am very glad we did it. We enjoyed “eating in” those nights, and our lanai, very much!

Activities
There is SO much to do right at Aulani (lazy river anyone) that I really encourage anyone going there to make sure you plan enough resort time. There is so much to do and see in Hawaii outside of the resort it is easy to schedule yourself gone most of your trip and if you do, you will miss out. That said, get out! See the ocean, the mountains, the valleys, the history. There is nothing like it. We loved everything we did and would do it again (yes, even Koko Head!) but we also plan to continue to find new things.

Traffic
Is horrible during rush hour. Plan accordingly and you will be fine.

Aulani as an adult only destination?
YES! Granted, loving Disney helps but really for us, who typically get a condo in Hawaii on our adult only trips (so are “very” alone compared to a resort like Aulani) it was surprisingly amazing. Both of us were a little concerned with how we’d do at a resort like that for a full week. I actually don’t believe we have ever done that on an adult only trip and we were blown away by how much we loved it all. More than T shirts, pins and mugs (and photos!) we brought home memories of an amazing amazing week. So amazing we added on a small contract at Aulani to give us holiday 11m advantage here and there.

We hope to go back in 2015. I don’t know if we will pull it off but that is the hope! Thank you all for reading and sharing our magical getaway to Aulani
Aloha and Mahalo and…

I hope to see you on my next PRT/TR. I do have lots of updates on our NYE trip and hope to get a PRT started this week 
For those of you I have not gotten caught up yet on your TR’s and PTR’s I am trying. I am hopefully hope now until our Florida trip so that should help a LOT!
Old 11-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #1080
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

I love the shirt that you got for yourself! But especially the one that you got for Eric, that is now yours. It looks so comfortable!

I always snag the pens from Disney resorts but the paper from Aulani looks very nice. Good job Jeff!

What is below the gummi worms? Is that a bar of chocolate?

Will you be posting the link to your next PTR here??

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC, Oct 14 CCI
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aulani, dvc, ka'ena, koko head

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: