Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Would you get DP for this trip?

Going from 12/20 to 12/25. We have a dinner ADR each night with 1 being a signature and we also have 1 lunch ADR. That's 7 TS credits when we only get 5...but we were going to pay OOP for the signature (AP...we get DVC member or AP discount of 10%). The we will have 2 extra CSs: for the day we do TS lunch and the day we arrive...can use that for breakfast 2 mornings but might be too much eating for us. We could get TIW card instead but it doesn't give discount on 12/24 which is an ADR for dinner at Ohana...so we'd pay full price that night but get 20% off the other meals (5 of us). We could do a few more TS lunches if the parks are too busy and we want to just chill out and try some other TS places (like Sanaa and Via Napoli).

Here's the current schedule:
12/20- arrival day, land at 10:20am- dinner at Boma (5:50)
12/21- dinner at Cape May (6:25)
12/22- dinner at Biergarten (6:40)
12/23- lunch at 50's Prime Time (12:30) and dinner at Artist Point (7:15)
12/24- dinner at Ohana (7:20)
12/25- depart early

I should also mention that we would make good use of the refillable mugs we'd get with DP. DH was buying many individual drinks at the resort on our last 2 trips...added up to a crazy $$ (could have bought several cases of beverage for the $$). We won't have time to get a grocery delivery either (and not there all that long to warrant the delivery costs).
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Since all of your buffets are dinner, you will at least break even and probably save a few $$ with the DDP.

If you don't already have the TiW card, you may not be able to recoup the cost with just this one trip. If you're planning another trip within the next year, then I'd do some more planning/thinking about using that for this trip. My gut says that if you are going to use it again, this would be your better bet, but not sure.

As for the refillable mug, if you do go the TiW route, just buy a length-of-stay mug for DH so he gets his drinks in.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
Autumnslight
DIS Veteran

How many adults and how many 3-9 year old children? Do you normally order desserts, or buy snacks in the parks?

With those ADRs, if you're five adults, you're virtually guaranteed to pay less by NOT doing the dining plan.

If you're two adults and three kids, and you tend to buy at least a few snacks and desserts, then you'll probably break even or save a little bit by doing the dining plan. Unless you really buy snacks or desserts regularly though, the savings would be very small.

If you're going to be eating at more TS restaurants within a year, then I'd go for the TiW card. It'll probably end up saving you more in the long run.
Autumnslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

We are 5 adults (DH and I plus our 3 teens). I did some spreadsheet calculator thing that is on You Tube (also mentioned on the Dis in another thread). Since one of our days is 12/24 and not a TIW discount day I had to tweak around to see exact calculations. I came up with this.

If I select average for typical cost of meal we choose (low, average and high were choices) we'd spend this on DP for these 5 days with our current ADRs and the certain CS places I think we'd go to for the lunches (and 1 breakfast): $1865

For doing TIW card we'd spend a total (price of card plus 2 snack/drinks a day for each of us...2 CS, 7 TS and 1 signature): $1816

Now if I bump it up to high (instead of average for typical cost of meal) it comes to: $1960 using TIW card

After the $100 cost of the TIW card, we save $137 for average cost meals and $166 for high cost meals.

**could buy DH refillable mug with DVC discount (or TIW or AP???) and the kids and I might get just 1 snack/drink each day...we might save another $100 (the calculator estimated $4 for each snack/drink)
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Except for 50s and Artist Point, all your dinner buffets are easily calculated. See this thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3108466

From what I can determine, they are all $40-44 per adult which is over the $37.50 "value" of a TS credit. So as long as you also "spend" the remaining $4 for snack and $17 for your QS, you'll be saving money on those days.

It will be difficult to make that $37.50 at 50s Prime Time, but with the savings on the other days and perhaps throwing in a QS at Wolfgang Puck Express, you'll still be saving with the DDP.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: