|11-02-2013, 04:35 PM||#1|
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: On top of a mountain, all covered in snow!
You won't believe what I saw at the food bank!
At the food bank today you wont believe what I saw:
- I saw a family with too many kids (6!) roll up in a new mini-van, obvious deadbeats!
(Of course the mini-van was mine, this family are my neighbors and I was giving them a ride. The 6 kids? 4 are adopted from an abusive familial situation. Only two of the kids were planned. The dad hasn't worked since I've met them, you know, since he was shot in the Iraq war. The wife works but it is only part time. She had to sell a successful business when they took on the other kids so she could get them to their special appointments etc. Now that they are settled, she is having trouble finding anything else permanent and full-time. In the summer, she puts together multiple part time positions, but once the summer is over here the opportunities here dry up. Sometimes when she gets sick, or the kids need things for school, things get too tight. She wouldn't take my help directly, but did let me drive her down to the food bank, and helped out as a volunteer with me.)
- I saw no Audi, BMWs or Mercedes in the parking lot, in fact I saw no cars that looked less than 5 years old, and Im no car expert but most looked considerably older.
- I saw neighbors bring neighbors who had no car to drive
- I saw an old lady on Oxygen, actually a couple of them
- I saw an elderly couple who made a point of saying "God bless You" to everyone helping.
- I saw lots of older people who never thought they would be there.
- I saw kids, lots and lots of them
- I saw empty shelves, lots of those too.
- I saw people getting turned away
If you can consider donating, this time of year need is high. Its true you may help out some irresponsible deadbeat, but chances are much greater that box of mac n cheese you donate might fill the belly of a child with nothing else.
Last edited by pocomom; 11-02-2013 at 07:58 PM. Reason: typos and readability
|Display Modes||Rate This Thread|