Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #31
gorkt
Mouseketeer

The FP+ whining is the very definition of First World Problems. I am heading down tomorrow and I am just astonishingly grateful that a) a place like WDW exists at all, b) that I don't have to work for a week, and c) that my kids are going to be really happy. Everything else is just icing on the cake.
DS Orion 9

Many trips as a child and young adult
Dec 2006 - First Family Trip - BWV / All Star Music Suites
Nov 2009 - 10 day Wilderness extravaganza - 5 nights Cabins/5 Nights WLV
Nov 2013 - AoA Finding Nemo - Nov 2-11th

Hopefully returning in 2016!
gorkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #32
surferdave
Not hero DIS deserves, but the hero DIS needs right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
I do have sympathy for other people's pain, but at the same time, being as this is all the absolute definition of a "First World Problem", I'm also enjoying the drama of it all. It reminds me how fortunate I am to have such problems as these.
The first world problem mantra is pretty obtuse. I suspect every problem every person on the message board has is first world, but that doesn't mean they accept them with quiet resignation and just be glad they're not fighting their next door neighbor to the death for bullets and gasoline.
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #33
daytondisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdave View Post
The first world problem mantra is pretty obtuse. I suspect every problem every person on the message board has is first world, but that doesn't mean they accept them with quiet resignation and just be glad they're not fighting their next door neighbor to the death for bullets and gasoline.
"Obtuse" has crossed my my mind a thousand times when perusing these threads...just not this one. Maybe OP should've use "in the context of first world problems..."
daytondisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #34
surferdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytondisney View Post
"Obtuse" has crossed my my mind a thousand times when perusing these threads...just not this one. Maybe OP should've use "in the context of first world problems..."
Yeah, I don't say it every time I see it either.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #35
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
What if you ordered filet, but while they were still cooking it you saw smoke coming from the kitchen and got the idea that it might not be as good as the one you had last year? Would it be too early go into full snark mode?
I had this happen once! We had to be evacuated from the restaurant.

I didn't go into full snark mode, as burning down the kitchen was clearly not something the restaurant had intended to do that day. But I was glad we hadn't yet paid for our meals (being as they never arrived at the table). If we had, for some reason, prepaid, I'd expect either another seating or my money back, preferably both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdave View Post
Obtuse: Since I'm clearly not "slow to understand", I'm going to guess you mean I'm being "annoyingly insensitive". "First world problems" is definitely not a mantra, though, or I'd be using it in my daily meditations.

I have never, in anything I've written, suggested anyone should accept any of this with "quiet resignation". In fact, I said that writing a letter to Disney management would be a good thing to do, if you ever have a bad experience on your vacation.

Feedback is critically important, both positive and negative. You need to state exactly what went wrong on your vacation, when it happened, and the names of any staff involved. If there's something particular they can do to make up for your bad experience, you should mention that as well.

Of course, it's difficult to give feedback when you haven't yet sampled the product.

And YES, you bet I'm grateful to have First World Problems. My best friend is on disability, and will never be able to afford a trip to Disney, even if she was ever healthy enough to enjoy a theme park anyway. Me, I didn't grow up going to Disney... in fact, we didn't always have a bed for my mom to sleep in. All my clothes were second hand, passed on from friends. So, to me, all of this is nothing but playtime, and as such is it's nothing I can take terribly seriously. If I don't enjoy the restaurant/theme park/resort I'm at, I'll go somewhere else. I won't cry about it!

It's interesting, it's entertaining, and I'm definitely curious to see where it's all headed.
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #36
redsbe
Mouseketeer

Fundamentally I suppose it comes down to whether FP+ is essential to your WDW experience along with riding popular attractions 3 or more times in one day park visit. Clearly for some visitors and posters those are essential, but I am guessing that for many others the WDW experience is much more varied and complex for those folks (who for all we know could be the vast majority of visitors) beyond FP and TSMM. Frankly I know I could have a great time at WDW with FP or TSMM, or plan accordingly so as to experience TSMM at RP or using the limited FP+ I would have.

I suspect WDW knows exactly the typical and majority visitor experience (easy data for them to collect) and ultimately whatever form MBs and FP+ takes will reflect that experience even at the expense of those put off by FP+ limitations. In other words for every person ticked off and threatening never to return (and of course many will return) there are many others to replace them and accept the new FP+ rules. With millions of visitors, WDW was never about provide the best personal and customized experience, but tending to the masses in an efficient, cost effective and profit based approach.
redsbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #37
daytondisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
I had this happen once! We had to be evacuated from the restaurant.

I didn't go into full snark mode, as burning down the kitchen was clearly not something the restaurant had intended to do that day. But I was glad we hadn't yet paid for our meals (being as they never arrived at the table). If we had, for some reason, prepaid, I'd expect either another seating or my money back, preferably both.
I was just trying to offer a more apt analogy than that of the order-filet-get-burger that seemingly justified the snarky response you received...

humor - if you've got to explain, it wasn't funny
Old 11-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #38
daytondisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsbe View Post
Fundamentally I suppose it comes down to whether FP+ is essential to your WDW experience along with riding popular attractions 3 or more times in one day park visit. Clearly for some visitors and posters those are essential, but I am guessing that for many others the WDW experience is much more varied and complex for those folks (who for all we know could be the vast majority of visitors) beyond FP and TSMM. Frankly I know I could have a great time at WDW with FP or TSMM, or plan accordingly so as to experience TSMM at RP or using the limited FP+ I would have.

I suspect WDW knows exactly the typical and majority visitor experience (easy data for them to collect) and ultimately whatever form MBs and FP+ takes will reflect that experience even at the expense of those put off by FP+ limitations. In other words for every person ticked off and threatening never to return (and of course many will return) there are many others to replace them and accept the new FP+ rules. With millions of visitors, WDW was never about provide the best personal and customized experience, but tending to the masses in an efficient, cost effective and profit based approach.
^This^
Old 11-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #39
BuzzBelleMom
DIS Veteran

Old 11-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #40
dwheaton
Mouseketeer

This entire First World discussion is silly. Essentially everything that's discussed on the boards fits within that category. Using that to dismiss any concerns about FP+ or any other Disney policy is ridiculous.

I've seen complaints about FP+ and the new system go well beyond the DIS. Along with other pockets of the Disney fan community, I've heard from family members that they're unlikely to go if this system is put in place. I'm certain that people beyond our little niche are complaining about it at the parks right now.

Getting to the point of this post, I do find it entertaining mostly because of the rides that actually are listed as needed a FP. Figment and Captain EO are fun in their own way, but it's silly to even sell a reserved time. It's quite a stretch for me and makes the entire new program look dumb.

We'll see where it all lands...
dwheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #41
redsbe
Mouseketeer

FP+ is in test mode right now, once it rolls out fully operational it will become accepted park of park planning and reservations. My guess is that 6 months from now it will all become business as usual, some folks may decide not to visit or delay, but with recent growth in crowds and revenue suggesting increased demand, little evidence that MBs or FP+ are going to drive large numbers of visitors away. I am quite certain that the circle of posters and their families and immediate contacts represent a vocal yet minority of visitors, many of those will adapt, but millions more will accept FP+ or not even consider them in their planning.
redsbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #42
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
I was just trying to offer a more apt analogy than that of the order-filet-get-burger that seemingly justified the snarky response you received...

humor - if you've got to explain, it wasn't funny
Aw, you're still funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwheaton View Post
This entire First World discussion is silly. Essentially everything that's discussed on the boards fits within that category.
I sure can't disagree with that!
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #43
surferdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwheaton View Post
This entire First World discussion is silly. Essentially everything that's discussed on the boards fits within that category. Using that to dismiss any concerns about FP+ or any other Disney policy is ridiculous.
That was kind of my point, although I'm saying that in general people (not just this board, or the OP) use it to shut down discussion of any topic less tragic than famine or pestilence as long as it's something that doesn't concern them that much, or to somehow justify enjoyment in other people's angst.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #44
Pixie Princess
DIS Veteran

Location: With Cinderella's mice making a new dress for Belle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddler View Post
Yep.

Normally, I'd be amused by all this... similar to the OP... but this is my $10,000 hamburger.
I am totally going to have to steal the bolded and make it a part of my personal lexicon.

Brilliant!
Pixie Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #45
HappyGrape
Earning My Ears

I find it so amusing! It's such a big and expensive change. People don't like change. I am so entertained by how Disney handles t the transition, how people react to it and what will the change actually be?

I would love to be part of the project team. Operationally Disney is impressive. It would be amazing experience for the people involved to put on their CV

What kind of contracts their project team have, nobody knows whats coming for sure? There must be some serious confidentiality agreements. We need wiki leaks here!!! We need to know

we are booked to go next October staying onsite. We had great time last year. I will admit I like Universal and the night we stayed at HRH more, and booked 4 nights next time. It won't bother me too much to cancel Disney tbh, but I suspect I will be way too curious by then to do so! I only booked onsite after I read for Disney Nextgen. How sad????

If I wasn't living on different continent I will be sending my cv asking for job in their change management team daily!

Last edited by HappyGrape; 11-01-2013 at 04:24 PM.
HappyGrape is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: