DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #16
NoleFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
For us BCV only makes sense if you love Storm-A-Long Bay pool. The resort really doesn't have great views, the YC/BC common areas are nice but at BWV you get the view, the BWV/Boardwalk common areas and the YC/BC common areas are a short walk or boat ride away.

Bill
I agree. We bought our small contract so we can enjoy SAB a few days each summer when it is way too hot to spend much time at the parks and as a resort alternative to water parks. We basically will spend the entire day @ SAB. We like to go beginning of June when point values are lower and before it has gotten way too hot & rainy. We felt for these reasons BCV was a good purchase for us. For the rest of the year, we love BWV.
NoleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #17
DVC Dude
Disney World Rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan View Post
I agree. We bought our small contract so we can enjoy SAB a few days each summer when it is way too hot to spend much time at the parks and as a resort alternative to water parks. We basically will spend the entire day @ SAB. We like to go beginning of June when point values are lower and before it has gotten way too hot & rainy. We felt for these reasons BCV was a good purchase for us. For the rest of the year, we love BWV.
Obviously a smart FSU fan figured this out. chop-chop

We too, love SAB and consider it almost as good as the water parks.
DVC Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #18
NoleFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Dude View Post
Obviously a smart FSU fan figured this out. chop-chop

We too, love SAB and consider it almost as good as the water parks.
Go Noles!
NoleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #19
Goofy DVC
OKW member since 93

In addition to all the great points already made, we bought BCV for two other reasons that may seem silly.
1.) The parking is much better than BWV.
2.) It is a small resort with two elevators not one like BWV.

Oh the little things that both drive us crazy and/or keep us happy.

When we bought resale however there was a price difference between BCV and BWV but I don't recall it being as big as it is now?????
We ended up paying $76 a point at BCV, I think in 2009????
Goofy DVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #20
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy DVC View Post
In addition to all the great points already made, we bought BCV for two other reasons that may seem silly.
1.) The parking is much better than BWV.
2.) It is a small resort with two elevators not one like BWV.

Oh the little things that both drive us crazy and/or keep us happy.

When we bought resale however there was a price difference between BCV and BWV but I don't recall it being as big as it is now?????
We ended up paying $76 a point at BCV, I think in 2009????
Not silly reasons at all. They are the same reasons we bought BCV over BWV. At the time BWV was $10 to $15 cheaper and the BCV contract was more attractive with banked points.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:11 AM   #21
LSchrow
We're eating brussel sprouts & asparagus on the budget board
(pulling up a chair) I like drunk & happy better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
I would spend time staying at each resort before buying again. If we had done that we wouldn't own BCV and BWV, just BWV.

Bill
ditto (we don't care for SAB, which is a major reason many buy there).

if we added any more resorts, it would likely be at VGF (but first, more BWV points)
Old 10-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #22
Annielkd22222
Mouseketeer

I think that if people did resaerch, such as what is on this site, so many mistakes could have been avoided. I made a ton of mistakes....the first being buying direct. Then I bought where they were selling....I asked about other places and was told they weren't for sale. I hated where I bought and can't get where I want at 7 months out. I've been to all the places, and know what I like....so the next time I buy.....I'll get what I want,instead of what I'm told I should want!
Annielkd22222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:18 PM   #23
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

For us it's all about location ... of the bars
BWV - ESPN & Epcot
BCV - Crew Cup & Epcot

And then theres:
BLT - TOWL / Wave
AKL / SSR - Pool Bar
OKW - boat to DTD
VWL - after 4p

AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #24
crisi
DIS Veteran

Guys, he already owns BWV, this isn't a BWV v. BCV debate.

And while I agree that BCV is a lovely resort and parking is much better than BWV and all that, the root question being asked is - given that he already owns an Epcot resort, is the pricing at BCV worth it for a second contract? I'm not sure I'd pay that much for a resale contract over SSR for better parking at the eleven month window (SSR also has nice parking), given that he has the 11 month window already at a Epcot resort.

And maybe getting the eleven month window for SAB and good parking is enough of a value, but when someone is recoiling at the resale prices, its worth asking the question.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #25
dundey
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
For us it's all about location ... of the bars
BWV - ESPN & Epcot
BCV - Crew Cup & Epcot

And then theres:
BLT - TOWL / Wave
AKL / SSR - Pool Bar
OKW - boat to DTD
VWL - after 4p

Ah, a man (or woman) that thinks like me!
dundey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #26
dundey
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
Guys, he already owns BWV, this isn't a BWV v. BCV debate.

And while I agree that BCV is a lovely resort and parking is much better than BWV and all that, the root question being asked is - given that he already owns an Epcot resort, is the pricing at BCV worth it for a second contract? I'm not sure I'd pay that much for a resale contract over SSR for better parking at the eleven month window (SSR also has nice parking), given that he has the 11 month window already at a Epcot resort.

And maybe getting the eleven month window for SAB and good parking is enough of a value, but when someone is recoiling at the resale prices, its worth asking the question.
Yes, you are correct.

And I have an update. The contract I was looking at was a 100 point BCV with 2013 points. I offered $98 / pt, which I thought was fair, and would have paid closing.

They were firm at $105 / pt, so I bid them good luck!

And I think we are also going to change our direction now and look for a resale at one of the MK resorts, or SSR / OKW. Still thinking on how we will progress, but I want to thank everyone on this board for all f the advice. It is much appreciated and invaluable.

Thank you.
dundey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #27
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundey View Post
Yes, you are correct.

And I have an update.

And I think we are also going to change our direction now and look for a resale at one of the MK resorts, or SSR / OKW. Still thinking on how we will progress, but I want to thank everyone on this board for all f the advice. It is much appreciated and invaluable.

Thank you.
So you need more points - then answer this question and the location problem = solved: What is the 'go to' at WDW? When we had kids our immediate need was MK - as adults it's Epcot.

We bought AKL initially because of the 'deal'. Long story short - we've stayed minimally and I don't thing we're alone which is why there are so many resales for the AKL, IMO. IMO that is why there are many resales for SSR. I know many people believe otherwise - but go with what you enjoy. We own BLT and while the room = eh, the LOCATION plus if you're young it gives you that long contract and is doable at $98/pt.

AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #28
Nabas
Mouseketeer

Having closely tracked the market for a while now, the number of resales at each resort roughly follows the size of the resort.

However, there tends to be slightly more resales at the newer resorts, BLT, AKV, and SSR. My theory is that many DVC members at all resorts purchased impulsively and, after a few years, realized DVC was not right for them. At the older resorts, those impulse buyers are long gone. At the newer resorts, those DVC members are just now realizing DVC is not for them.

What you do see is asking prices being influenced by a resort's popularity. Thus, BLT and BCV over $100/point resale while SSR is mostly under $75/point.
Nabas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #29
crisi
DIS Veteran

I think additionally there is a "I need to pay off my loan" factor. That's gone pretty much with BCV - the price differential there is supply demand. But its still there with BLT. BLT resales, IMHO, will have a drop in price in about three years as the loan factor goes away. I think BLT will remain "on the expensive side" as opposed to the bargain you can find in OKW or SSR contracts, but I don't believe it will hold its current price.

Had I known what a deal this was, we might own VWL instead of BWV (although we like BWV). When we bought VWL was the new resort and had the "we just bought and now have to sell" premium attached. Within a year or two, it was far less expensive than BWV resales and I might have waited it out.

SSR and VAKL have had less of this because of the recession. It doesn't matter if you bought for $90 a point and still have a loan on it if no one is buying above $60 and you need to sell. But for a few years pre-recession, SSR resales were still pretty high compared to where they ended up.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #30
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Have you ruled out buying more points at BWV? It can be a good thing to have your points at one place but it all depends on how you plan to use them. If you have a different resort that you really want the home resort privilege at then that's one thing but if you do like BWV and are looking at SSR or OKW contracts to get a little lower cost rather than because you want to stay there then I'd just try and find a BWV. That way things work much more simply for booking windows and on 100 points the price isn't going to be that different.

But if there is an MK resort you really want to have home resort at or if that's BCV then a contract at a second resort isn't bad. So if the biggest factor is a need for more points and less about a different resort personally I'd be looking at BWV especially since you don't seem to be after a particular resort. That is assuming you do want to stay at BWV since you bought that first even though you'd like to try other resorts at times.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: