Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2013, 10:20 AM   #16
Tramp68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewhavens View Post
I hadn't even thought of the possibility of having to take his shoes off. He definitely wouldn't make it without the shoes.

I don't blame the kids from shying away from the bars. When he was finally tall enough for Barnstormer the CM whacked him in the head with the bar and we almost didn't ride because he was crying from being hit in the head with a wooden bar. Then when we came back for a second ride we almost didn't make the height requirement because he kept ducking under the bar. Hmmm....I wonder why?
As mentioned, just make sure the shoes are reasonable and you won't have to take them off. If he is wearing those shoes were the sole is 3 inches thick, then they may ask him to take off the shoes.

Do not have him wear thin soled shoes or flip flops, they do not add enough height. Brand new normal sneakers work best to get the most out of height without circumventing Disney policy.

Also teach him to stand tall, but dont go up on his toes. I do see a lot of kids fail becaus they try to look up at the bar which curves the spine. Look straight ahead and pull back the shoulders, chest out, all of that...
OKW Nov 2002
OKW Feb 2005
OKW July 2007 (3 weeks)
AKV April 2008
FWC Aug 2010 (1 month)
AKV July 2011 (1 month)
OKW Dec 2013

Member OKW 1998 (55pts woo-hoo)
Member SSR 2005
Add-on SSR 2007
Add-on SSR 2010
Add-on BWV 2013
Tramp68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:44 AM   #17
Autumnslight
DIS Veteran

On our trip in September, the CMs were very strict about the height requirements. However, they did also take the time to make sure my daughter was standing up very straight, had her feet against the measuring stick, etc. Basically, they did everything they could to legitimately see if she could meet the height requirement.

There was only one ride where she didn't quite measure up, and the CM let it slide, which was Stitch's Great Escape. And honestly, I don't even know why there are restraints and a height requirement on that ride anyway, as it's indoors and doesn't really move. It's more of a show than a ride, and there's no concern about someone going flying out of a ride vehicle or something.
Autumnslight is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #18
JMW123
Earning My Ears

OP, we were in your exact same situation last year with our DS 3 who was basically the same height as yours. We were there for 7 days, hit all parks, and rode almost every ride with a 40 inch requirement.

1. We were never asked to take his shoes off
2. They were very strict with making sure his head hit the bar
3. The 40 inch bars are closer to 40.5 or 41 inches
4. Big shoes and double liners are the key
5. Don't listen to all those who will scold you for this tactic, the 40 inch rides are more than safe (It is not like this is RnR or Everest). We did Thunder Mtn, Splash Mtn, Star Tours, etc...

As for shoes, we used timberland work boots.

Kid loved the boots and they look good with pants on. Also used double liners by pulling shoe liners out of another set of boots. Only down side to the boots is they hurt when the kid kicks you, so if you plan on carrying him a lot or doing shoulder rides (or method of kid movement) be prepared.
JMW123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:50 AM   #19
KatieCharlotte
DIS Veteran

My DS claims that studies show if you try to stand up taller you actually shorten yourself a tiny bit. He advised his sisters to stand normally but don't slouch. DD also claims that crocs add half an inch, but they may be more likely to ask for them to be removed than sneakers. Just don't have your child wear thin soled sandals. And prepare them for disappointment. Measuring can be very inconsistent. My kids have gone on attractions at various carnivals and theme parks, only to be turned away when the next person comes on duty.

You can tell this a common topic of conversation in our family full of short people. We don't hit 40 inches until around age five. Disney is actually very fair with their height requirements, imo. It has been at other places that we've run into situations where a child really wanted to ride and couldn't...like at LEGOLAND or the summer my eight-year-old excellent swimmer couldn't go on the waterslide at the local pool because she was 47.5 in.
KatieCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:13 AM   #20
GrnMtnMan
DIS Veteran

Is the 'take shoes off' thing an urban myth? Wouldn't that be a violation of policy: to be in a park without shoes?

Anyway, my daughter has twice needed her heels to cross a ride requirement threshold. When she was 3.5 (2010), she was a touch under 40 without shoes, and this summer and fall was a touch under 48 without them. On both of these trips her being in shoes got her over the threshold.

As someone said earlier, you'll encounter CMs who do things differently. There were times at test track she was measured twice. Other times not a all. When she rode Primeval Whirl last week, she was measured once at the queue entrance, but not again.

One time this summer riding the Mummy (at Universal) a ride operator there did this thing forcing a card between her head and the measuring bar to show she wasn't tall enough...six or so other times her head hitting the bar was enough for those operators.
Dolphin 10/04
DL - Grand Californian 3/06
Disneyland Paris 9/07
Swan 9/08, 6/10
BLT 9/09, 12/10 - Father-Daughter Trip, 10/11, 10/12, 10/13, 10/14

Disney-Like: Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, 3/11, 4/12, 3/13, 4/14, 4/15
GrnMtnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:19 AM   #21
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnMtnMan View Post
Is the 'take shoes off' thing an urban myth? Wouldn't that be a violation of policy: to be in a park without shoes?....
Hardly. The child isn't walking around the park. They are just being measured without their thick soled, platform shoes that they can hardly walk in.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:19 AM   #22
JB Meier
Earning My Ears

Dave:

Good call on the bullet points to prevent needless exposition, and good information included.

Our trip in Sept. of this year saw our 41" princess be measured repeatedly, both at the front and the back, and I completely agree with their stringency on the issue.

If we would have been that concerned with her riding the bigger rides, we would have chosen to go in the future.

-JB-
JB Meier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #23
matthewhavens
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMW123 View Post
OP, we were in your exact same situation last year with our DS 3 who was basically the same height as yours. We were there for 7 days, hit all parks, and rode almost every ride with a 40 inch requirement.

1. We were never asked to take his shoes off
2. They were very strict with making sure his head hit the bar
3. The 40 inch bars are closer to 40.5 or 41 inches
4. Big shoes and double liners are the key
5. Don't listen to all those who will scold you for this tactic, the 40 inch rides are more than safe (It is not like this is RnR or Everest). We did Thunder Mtn, Splash Mtn, Star Tours, etc...

As for shoes, we used timberland work boots.

Kid loved the boots and they look good with pants on. Also used double liners by pulling shoe liners out of another set of boots. Only down side to the boots is they hurt when the kid kicks you, so if you plan on carrying him a lot or doing shoulder rides (or method of kid movement) be prepared.
I love the Timberlands idea! Thanks.
matthewhavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:35 AM   #24
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Fun in the Florida sun in a pair of clunky work boots??? OP, try measuring your son in his normal tennis shoes against the wall first thing tomorrow morning. You may be stressing over nothing. Best of luck!
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #25
Masiri
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnslight View Post
There was only one ride where she didn't quite measure up, and the CM let it slide, which was Stitch's Great Escape. And honestly, I don't even know why there are restraints and a height requirement on that ride anyway, as it's indoors and doesn't really move. It's more of a show than a ride, and there's no concern about someone going flying out of a ride vehicle or something.
I heard this was changed from something like 35 to 40, just to keep younger kids off of it (because it's scary), not for safety issues.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:50 AM   #26
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

My daughter has worked on height restricted rides for five years now and has never had anyone take off their shoes. She has pushed fluffy hair down. Normal boy shoes are not going to be a problem; if he came in in high heels well then maybe yes they would have him take off his shoes as it would be obvious the intent was to be taller.

Liz
Traveliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:56 AM   #27
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveliz View Post
My daughter has worked on height restricted rides for five years now and has never had anyone take off their shoes. She has pushed fluffy hair down. Normal boy shoes are not going to be a problem; if he came in in high heels well then maybe yes they would have him take off his shoes as it would be obvious the intent was to be taller.

Liz
She may have never asked, but I know a few Disers who have witnessed it happen. It is just not worth trying to bump up the kids height with different shoes. Just wear what he normally wears so that he is comfortable in the parks.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:57 AM   #28
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveliz View Post

Liz
I have personally seen it happen a few times, but no boys, just girls. Each time was for wedge style flip flops/sandals. Two girls (they were twins) didn't meet the requirement and were turned away. I felt so bad for them, but rules are for their protection, and the parents didn't react poorly to the news, unlike others I've seen. Yikes! I feel for CMs. They have a tough job sometimes.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:57 AM   #29
kathie859
DIS Veteran

OP--I just wanted to interject another "thumbs up" to having your child practice standing up straight. Use a ruler on top of his head to get him used to it. We did this with one of the grandkids who was borderline and it worked well and he wasn't intimidated by "the stick".
kathie859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:59 AM   #30
ps17
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
Fun in the Florida sun in a pair of clunky work boots??? OP, try measuring your son in his normal tennis shoes against the wall first thing tomorrow morning. You may be stressing over nothing. Best of luck!
Agreed - a pair of Nike Shox or equivalent can easily add a half inch to the height.

Also if you are still concerned, go ahead and add one of those heel insert things - and before everyone cries foul about exceeding safety, the OP's kid is only half an inch away so it isn't too much a stretch - AND - we are talking Splash Mountain here. It isn't like trying to stretch an inch to get onto a more extreme ride such as Hulk, Dueling Dragons, Rocket, or even Space Mountain for that matter.....
ps17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: