Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #16
Empress Room
Mouseketeer

DH and I had a completely different experience on our August 10 Fantasy cruise. We ate at Remy with the wine pairing option and found both the quality and the quantity of the wines poured to be quite outstanding.

We certainly like our wines and certainly are more than capable of drinking our share, and we each found that the pours at Remy were very much worth the wine pairing fee. Each wine, in addition to being perfectly married to the course, was more than enough to enjoy with the food. They are all served in oversized glasses, which may be why the pours appear smaller, but by the end of the evening, we had more than our share of wine and were happy that, whatever the portion size, it wasn't any larger lest we fall overboard!

Although we found no reason to, there was a gentleman at the next table who was also doing the wine pairing. During a course, he asked the sommelier for more because he was enjoying it and she was only more than happy to give refills.
Empress Room is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #17
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Well--glad you had a different experience.

Our sommelier was a "he"

At V&A (and we've dined there 25+ times) the glasses are also "oversize" and the pour ALWAYS quite a bit more than the pittance we got at Remy.
2 oz is about right---could not have been any more than that no matter what the glass looked like!!

Stand by my original statement--clearly not worth $99 EACH, and the Port we had to order with the cheese course an ADDITIONAL $20 each!!! Port (as it should) comes with the wine pairings at V&A.
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #18
gumbo1009
...flawed product of a deranged mind...

I am curious about the FOOD. Were you in Remy in October? May I ask you whether you noted any shifts in the menu? I know they were planning new dishes for introduction in "the fall," and I did see a recent dining post on Popular Cruising that showed two new offerings from Remy. Thanks!
Old 10-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #19
brittie62
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Room View Post
DH and I had a completely different experience on our August 10 Fantasy cruise. We ate at Remy with the wine pairing option and found both the quality and the quantity of the wines poured to be quite outstanding. We certainly like our wines and certainly are more than capable of drinking our share, and we each found that the pours at Remy were very much worth the wine pairing fee. Each wine, in addition to being perfectly married to the course, was more than enough to enjoy with the food. They are all served in oversized glasses, which may be why the pours appear smaller, but by the end of the evening, we had more than our share of wine and were happy that, whatever the portion size, it wasn't any larger lest we fall overboard! Although we found no reason to, there was a gentleman at the next table who was also doing the wine pairing. During a course, he asked the sommelier for more because he was enjoying it and she was only more than happy to give refills.
On the Fantasy, we were also pleased with the value. Neither DH or myself are Wine experts so this was an opportunity to try wines we would never, ever buy, wine that was paired correctly with the food along with the expertise of the sommelier in explaining about it. Sure, I could have gotten 2 bottles of my Pinot Grigio that I was drinking elsewhere for the same price as the pairings but I'm not sure it would have worked with all of the courses as well. I was especially surprised by the wine that smelled like diesel fuel but tasted wonderful when paired with the food course. :-)
brittie62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #20
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

gumbo:

Wish I could help but I don't what the "old" Remy menu looked like. We both ordered off the Lallement menu rather than the Scott Hunnel menu.

One more comment about the wine pairings and then I'll end my part of it. A bottle of wine is 750 ML--just over 25 oz. Not counting the champagne, the 2 oz pours we both received of actual wine would probably fill ONE bottle about 80% of the way--if that.

For nearly $200. And no Port. Not a good value.

But I learned a good lesson!!
Vacation Club since 1992
Old 10-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #21
Stinasmom
DIS Veteran

Glad I found this thread!

I would think that this thread may have been moved to the regular DCL forum but glad I found it here.

We are going to WDW for a week and 7-night Western on the Fantasy this June for our 25th wedding anniversary.
I had been thinking that going to Remy would be a great anniversary dinner since we'll be on the Fantasy already, but should we consider V&A?

How much more overall would V&A end up costing with wine pairings?

At Remy we'd likely have 2 glasses each with dinner attempting to match early courses and entrees. At $75 pp for food, is this a better "value?"

My DH is a "foodie" for sure. An amature chef, artist, musican type.
I am gluten and dairy free...

Thanks for any input!!

Marcy
DCL Western&WDW,SW,DC 12/2008
San Diego, Legoland and Disneyland 3/2008
Jazzercise Conv. at CSR at WDW 4/2007
DCL 4-night Wonder & US/IOA/Sea World 12/2006
DCL Magic Mex Riv. 6/2005 & DL/DCA
DL & DCA 5/2004, 5/2007
WDW 1994, 1995,1998, 1999, 2001 2002
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
Stinasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #22
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Well--my main issue with Remy was the wine pairings. Outside of that, it was nice.

My own personal feeling is that V&A is a better restaurant and if you could easily get there w/o any disruption of your Fantasy plans, and if the additional cost isn't overwhelming, it's where I would go.

Can't help with how much it is there now per-person, nor what the wine pairings are going for.

I can tell you that if you get the pairings, you'll get more wine

My guess is that over on the restaurants boards someone will know the current prices, etc Also there is a "Everything V&A" thread there that should peak your interest!!
Vacation Club since 1992
Old 10-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #23
Empress Room
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleromulus View Post
Well--my main issue with Remy was the wine pairings. Outside of that, it was nice.

My own personal feeling is that V&A is a better restaurant and if you could easily get there w/o any disruption of your Fantasy plans, and if the additional cost isn't overwhelming, it's where I would go.

Can't help with how much it is there now per-person, nor what the wine pairings are going for.

I can tell you that if you get the pairings, you'll get more wine

My guess is that over on the restaurants boards someone will know the current prices, etc Also there is a "Everything V&A" thread there that should peak your interest!!
It does sound as if your experience with your sommelier was vastly different than our experience. Out of curiosity, did you ask for more wine or refills as we experienced with the guests from the table next to ours? If not, why not? I certainly wouldn't hesitate given the price of the food and pairings - but as I said, our sommelier was apparently much more generous than yours and we did not feel the need at all. (As an aside, when we attended the Remy Brunch, there was a late cancellation for a table of four after the sommelier had already poured the welcome flute of champagne. She graciously offered it to whomever wished to partake, even jokingly saying, "The bubbles only last so long!")

V&A is certainly a very special restaurant and we, too, have dined there many, many times, but we both felt that Remy's quality is more than comparable and that some of the courses were even more elegantly presented and prepared than its dry-land sibling. Remember, too, that V&A's wine pairing menu, by definition (at least at the Chef's Table) involves more courses of food and, therefore, more wine to be paired, so perhaps this is why it appears to you that you receive more at V&A.

Again, no matter what the amount of the pour at either Remy or V&A, all of our dining guests have always felt that they are perfectly selected and paired and more than generous to enjoy with each respective 5-star meal.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:34 AM   #24
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Remy didn't seem like a buffet where you could just ask for "more"--so we didn't even think to ask.

In fact, a good sommelier should have noticed the drained glass and might well have ASKED if we wanted a bit more!!!! Even the servers at V&A have done that on a # of occasions.

And if we did ask, it would have been because we didn't get enough--not because we loved the wine I would have been forced to say--"Is this all we get?"

And to reiterate--been to V&A over 25 times and the actual pour in each glass for each course exceeds what we got at Remy..no question about it.

So anyone reading this just be aware of what might happen if you get the wine pairings at Remy!!!
Vacation Club since 1992
Old 10-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #25
Empress Room
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Remy didn't seem like a buffet where you could just ask for "more"--so we didn't even think to ask.

In fact, a good sommelier should have noticed the drained glass and might well have ASKED if we wanted a bit more!!!! Even the servers at V&A have done that on a # of occasions.

And if we did ask, it would have been because we didn't get enough--not because we loved the wine I would have been forced to say--"Is this all we get?"

And to reiterate--been to V&A over 25 times and the actual pour in each glass for each course exceeds what we got at Remy..no question about it.

So anyone reading this just be aware of what might happen if you get the wine pairings at Remy!!!
It sounds like the female sommelier at Remy on the Fantasy is a more generous pourer than the male one - too bad experiences vary so much between the two. Maybe the male was just "earning his ears!"

The female sommelier's pours were consistent with what we have previously and subsequently experienced at V&A and, unlike your experience, we were not charged anything extra for the port course. Our cruise was August 10-17, was yours before or after? Wondering if there is a change in practice or protocol one way or the other.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #26
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

We got off the ship on 10/19.

When they rolled out the cheese cart, our server was quick to recommend Port which, as she told us ahead of time, "Isn't part of the Wine Pairings".

I wonder when Princess4life cruised? Sounds like the pour had been reduced then--
Vacation Club since 1992
Old 10-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #27
PrincessForLife
Walt Disney World Junky

Quote:
We got off the ship on 10/19.

When they rolled out the cheese cart, our server was quick to recommend Port which, as she told us ahead of time, "Isn't part of the Wine Pairings".

I wonder when Princess4life cruised? Sounds like the pour had been reduced then--
We cruised Aug 10. The waiter told us it was a recent change. My guess is that it happened sometime over the summer. I also want to add to the female sommelier on the Fantasy was fantastic. She made sure we got the best bottle for our price. She gave us a 2007 over the 2010 of Pahlmeyer Chardonnay on the Remy vault list because she felt the 2010 wasn't good enough! She was awesome.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:27 AM   #28
Castillo Mom
DIS Veteran

We thoroughly enjoyed the wine pairing last year and the pours were definitely more than two ounces at that time. Barely made it through the meal!
8/8/09-8/21/09 SSR/AKV Kidani Village
9/24/11-10/5/11 AKV Kidani Village
6/14/12-6/20/12 Disney Dream Double Dip

7/19/12-7/22/12 Hilton Head

7/24/12-7/31/12
Beach Club Resort
Castillo Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #29
Little c Travel
Earning My Ears

When we did the wine pairing we where getting very nice pours. Easily 5 oz. We also asked if we could repeat one of the reds instead of having the blush and they said no problem. They gave us another 5 oz pour of the red and still brought out the blush, but only poured 2 oz.

That said, if I do Remy again, I'm bring one really nice bottle of red and white wine from home and going to have them with dinner.
Little c Travel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: