Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2013, 01:15 AM   #1
princess_momma
DIS Veteran

**COMPLETED 4/30**Life Is Way Too Short to Take It Slow - October 2013 TR

Hello!! I am back (sadly) from a wonderful 11 day trip to Florida (3 days), Universal Studios (1 day), Sea World (1 day) and Disney World for the rest! We were there from October 16th through the 27th. There were so many amazing moments and big surprises! Im sad to be back but very happy to re-live all those great moments with you guys!

Lets get started by introducing the cast!

Im Kimmy, and Im one dynamite gal! Im 23 years young (or maybe old after this trip!) and this was my fourth trip to Disney. I am an emergency dispatcher and love my crazy, unpredictable job! Nothing matches my Disney love, but some of my other obsessions include the Denver Broncos, Game of Thrones, and Harry Potter. I am crazy for the Tower of Terror, like Im seriously in love with that ride no joke. (See this post for the full love story.) I love Wreck-It Ralph and Monsters, Inc. A LOT -- Ralph and Sulley being my favorite characters from those. I hadnt been to Disney World since June 2011 so I was so happy to be back! Will the next trip take as long as this one did? WE WILL SEE!! (Hmmm...possible foreshadowing?)

This is Garret. He gives me the honey glow something awful. He is my sweet, handsome, tall man. He measures up at about 66. He loves sports and thrill rides. We celebrated our second anniversary on this trip. I was so anxious before this trip about whether or not hed love Disney. He had been to Disney before as a kid, but didn't seem to remember too much.He would give me warnings about how we could go maybe every few years or so and seemed more excited for Universal because it has more thrill rides. All I wanted was for him to love Disney too! But youll have to wait and see how that unfolds!

Heres Landon, our sweet son. He was technically 4 on this trip, but we celebrated his 5th birthday, which is on November 6th. This trip (also Landons fourth trip) he was finally tall enough for most of the rides. Because I clearly like making you wait, Im not going to give away whether or not he liked them yet! Landon loves animals, super heroes, dinosaurs, and Peyton Manning. He is all boy through and through and if that little kid likes me, how bad can I be? (3 for 3 on Wreck It Ralph quotes in our introductions!)

There will be a few guest appearances in this trip report. First, youll see a lot of Garrets dad. Hell be referred to as Opa, which is the name he had Landon call him. We stayed at his house when we were further south in Florida. He also came to SeaWorld with us. The other one youll see is Brandon, our friend and soon-to-be roommate. We had a dinner with him and he also joined us in Universal.

Hope you stick around...its going to be a good one!!

The One Where We Ride a Plane
The One Where Landon Sees A Beach for the First Time
The One Where We Go to the Florida Oceanographic Coastal Center: Part One and Part Two
The One Where We Take a Stroll Through Paradise
The One Where We're On a Boat: Part One and Part Two
The One Where I'm FINALLY Back at Disney World
The One Where I Love FastPass+
The One Where True Love Reunites: Part One and Part Two
The One Where Ohana Means Family Part One and Part Two
The One Where We Continue to Love the MK Mountains
The One with the Delicious Food
The One Where Our Plans Change on a Whim Part One and Part Two
The One Where We Dine at Artist Point
The One With Little Mermaids & Flying Elephants
The One Where I FanGirl Over the Wizarding World of Harry Potter Real Hard Part One, Part Two, Part Three, Part Four, and Part Five
The One with the Rest of Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure
The One Where We Love AK
The One That Ends in Drama
The One With Pizza and Sangria
The One Where We Feed Dolphins
The One Where We Wander Around SeaWorld
The One Where I Cry Sad Tears Over Polar Bears and Happy Tears Over Killer Whales
The One Where We Dine with Shamu
The One Where We Finally Go to the Food & Wine Festival
The One Where I Shop A Lot
The One Where Our Lives Change Forever
The One Where Its Our Last Night in Disney
The One Where We Leave

The Wrap Up
The PTR
Life Is Way Too Short to Take It Slow - Oct 2013 TR
I Kept My Eyes Open the Whole Time! - Nov 2014 TR

Last edited by princess_momma; 05-01-2014 at 12:15 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
princess_momma
DIS Veteran

Finally, the day had arrived. The bags were packed, the countdowns complete, the day was finally here. It was October 16th and I woke up at 3:00 am to finally set off on this adventure! And really, is there such a thing as “early” when you are waking up to go on vacation?

Also, can I just say how hard it is to be going elsewhere first? I always had two countdowns in my head - one for Florida, one for Disney World. But Florida was first and I just really wanted it to be Disney World so I’d often combine the two and it was really just a pain. I think I’ll have to get used to it though because we’ll probably always be visiting Garret’s dad first from here on out! C’est la vie.

So, as I’m used to in my household, I was up first. I got all ready, hair straightened, etc. (I always straighten my hair on the first travel day because that’s the only day it usually stays thanks to Florida’s humidity.)

Around 4:20, I finally woke up Garret and gave him a haircut. It felt silly giving a haircut so early in the morning, but he wanted it to be as short as possible so that’s what we did.

Landon was up at 4:45, as he doesn’t take long at all to get ready. Boy, was he excited!

Here he is with our luggage. 3 checked bags, 1 carry on. (Also I brought a purse and Garret carried the computer bag.)

Our ride picked us up at 5:30 and we were ready to go! We stopped at McDonald’s for some food. No pics until Disney though, sorry! But I got a Sausage, Egg & Cheese McGriddle with a hash brown and orange juice. I pretty much only eat McDonald’s breakfast and only on days I’m up super early. It was good enough.

Landon was cracking me up in the drive thru, trying to make sure I remembered to pack everything. He’d go “Do you have those things that go on my head?”, referring to headphones and then ask “Do you have those things that go on my wrist?”, referring to MagicBands. It was cracking me up! I was surprised he was thinking of things like that in all of his excitement!

We finally arrived at the airport shortly after 6!

Then we get our boarding passes and check our bags, and are through security by 6:30.

We get on our airport’s fake subway and head over to our gate and make it there by 6:40. Theoretically, we should have less than an hour wait but of course not. Our flight was delayed from 7:35 until 8:15! Then seriously, a minute later, it updates that it’s now delayed until 8:40. By 6:55, it was pushed back all the way to 9 am and I was so sad! I just wanted to go!

We head over to this little place in the airport called “Root Down”, that specializes in making everything from scratch with natural ingredients. Of course, we aren’t hungry so we can’t really enjoy anything but I get a cappuccino and the boys get lemonades. Landon thought his was way too sour.

Eventually we just go back to our gate and wait. There was this little kiosk selling all sorts of jerky - beef, elk, buffalo, etc. It was just tempting us the whole time. They had samples and everything seemed too dry (even for jerky lol), except the beef which was exceptional.

Garret requested hot, which I got but it was way too hot for me! The beef was very tender and high quality though!

One of my favorite picture traditions is taking Landon’s picture in the airport seats! So here he is over all his trips, so you can watch him grow!

His first trip!

From September 2009, when he was 10 months old!

His 2nd trip!

The second is from August 2010, when he was 1 year, 9 months.

His 3rd trip!

This third one is from June 2011, when he was 2 years, 7 months.

And now...

4 years, 11 months old on his way to his 4th trip to Disney! I can’t believe how big he looks now! He sure has grown since our last trip!

While we were waiting, he asked me where the “phone-heads” were! He must’ve been so concerned that we forgot those headphones we were bringing for him!

Eventually our delay got updated...it was moved up from 9am to 8:55! It’s the little things!

Finally our plane showed up!

Eventually we boarded. It was the usual Southwest madness. We had even signed up for “early bird check in”, which gets you into your group for you so you don’t have to wake up so early the day before your flight to check in and get your boarding group. Even with this, we were in the first group but about the 50th people on! Oh well...I can’t imagine where we would’ve been without that!

Before long, we were flying high above the clouds!

It’s over a 3 hour flight from Colorado to Florida, so we all settled in on our various devices (for me, a book) to pass the time. Unfortunately, I was unable to change our flight from MCO to an airport closer to Garret’s dad’s house, so after this flight, we had some driving to do!

Stay tuned, because we did manage to have a bit of fun on this drive!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Hi Kimmy! I'm here! Great start-- and yes, when you're waking up for Disney, it's always easy!
I can't believe how big Landon is!! Crazy to think how long you've been on the DIS! I remember your first TR, when he was tiny!
Old 10-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

ready to read along.

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
Old 10-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Following along!
Old 10-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #7
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Hi Kimmy! Here and caught up to your delayed flight and 50th in line to board!! Loved the photo progression of Landon then and now. Looking forward to hearing about the fun on the drive.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
princess_momma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Wow, I can't believe how grown-up Landon is looking. The kids in these trip reports are supposed to stay small! (Mine included!)
I agree!! So crazy when you can look back and see how they've grown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
Hi Kimmy! I'm here! Great start-- and yes, when you're waking up for Disney, it's always easy!
I can't believe how big Landon is!! Crazy to think how long you've been on the DIS! I remember your first TR, when he was tiny!
Hello! I'm so glad you are here!! It has been a while on the Dis now and I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
ready to read along.
Welcome!! I'm so happy you made it over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Following along!
Thank you! Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Hi Kimmy! Here and caught up to your delayed flight and 50th in line to board!! Loved the photo progression of Landon then and now. Looking forward to hearing about the fun on the drive.
Hi Brenda! Thanks for joining! It keeps getting better from here!

Old 10-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #9
princess_momma
DIS Veteran

So when I left off we had just left cold Colorado.

It gets pretty chily this time of year, so I was ready to be warm again! Luckily I got my wish when we landed!

The weather was great when we landed. I just love being warm. I don’t do well in the cold, even for being a Colorado native. Just...no. Give me heat!

Our landing wasn’t exceptionally bumpy, but as soon as we land, Landon goes “now that’s what I call a rollercoaster!” HA! I was cracking up...you ain’t seen nothin’ yet, kid!

We went to the bathroom, rode the fakeorail, picked up our own baggage - which actually wasn’t as horrible as I thought it would be. Our 3 bags were some of the first ones out and so we got out of there pretty fast. I still missed them magically appearing in my room, but seeing how that was a few hours away, I guess it’s a little too far for the pixie dust to carry.

Landon was starving so we stopped by a Wendy’s on the drive, around 3:40 pm. It was in some college town of a small college that no one had heard of and there were signs posted all over the Wendy’s that said, “due to lease restrictions, this location does not serve pork”. We assumed that maybe it was a Jewish college town or something? Can anyone else think of any other reason why that would be posted? Good thing we didn’t want anything with bacon! We just got drinks and a hamburger for Landon. Garret thought we shouldn’t get anything because we’d be eating as soon as we got to Opa’s house. (Opa is his dad, if you recall from the intro’s!)

So we continue our drive. Opa had brought his two dogs...a girl boxer named Harriet and a male greyhound named Penelope. Yep, the boy has a girl name! He was rescued and apparently wouldn’t answer to any name for months and one day Opa tried “Penelope” and he answered, so that was that.

That drive is a long trip for dogs, especially considering they had to be in the car twice as long as we did. So we stopped at Gemini Springs Dog Park in Debary, Florida. It's actually an AMAZING dog park, should you ever need one while you're in the area. Apparently, Debary is pretty historical as well.

Landon enjoyed stretching his legs too.

There’s Opa in that picture. The brown dog is Harriet and the white one is Penelope.

After everyone got some fresh air and a little exercise, we loaded back into the car. And drove a long time. A long, long time.

A few hours later, at 6:53 pm, Landon saw the ocean for THE FIRST TIME EVER.

That was just on a bridge though and we needed to get to a BEACH obviously. Landon said that he wanted to have a “sand-ball fight”. Silly Colorado kid...thinks you can just roll everything into a ball to throw at people.

We had to keep driving about 10 minutes further to get to a beach. We were passing street names like “Margarita” and “Mimosa” and of course, all the nautical and beachy themed ones and they made me so happy! I love even the street names in Florida. Here all the streets are named after trees or just random names like “Potomac” and “Iliff”. WHERE IS THE WHIMSY, COLORADO?!?!

ANYWHO...we made it to the beach at EXACTLY sunset. Aka when the beach closes. Oh well...we were going to try to enjoy it for a few moments!

How excited does this kid look?! WAY too excited to be taking pictures right now, Mom!

Beautiful. I love palm trees.

I just love the beach. And Landon loved looking for seashells! But it was getting dark and we sadly had to go.

We left by 7:11. And then had to drive some more. When we finally got close enough, we stopped by a Publix and I stepped into my first Publix ever at 7:33. It felt cool because I always hear about them but we don’t have them here so I thought it was a big moment. When we were walking in, they had a TON of inflatable alligators, killer whales, and other pool toys displayed outside. Yesterday, I went to a grocery store here and there were sleds and shovels displayed and I cried a little inside. I miss Florida. We also saw an “Otter Crossing” sign which was reason 9874398473 why I love Florida. We only have deer crossing signs here!

But enough with my whining about not being in Florida anymore!

We finally pulled into Opa’s house at 7:59 pm. WHAT A LONG DAY! We had some homemade lasagna and also italian sausage for dinner, followed by fruit tart and ice cream for dessert.

After that, Landon and I were ready for bed! Garret stayed up talking with his dad until who knows when.

Landon was obsessed with his shark sheets. A day or two later, he even told me he wanted to live in Florida because he had shark sheets there. The way children’s minds work!

Stay tuned...the next day, we start on our road to fame and have more fun at the beach!

Old 10-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
Disneybuckeye
DIS Veteran

Great start to your report. Forgot we were there at the same time. We were at SSR from the 18-26. Our daughter and 5 of her college friends were with us from the 18-22 for their fall break. I too am sad to be home.

I know what you mean about the weather. It snowed here in Ohio while we were gone. Brrrrrr

Looking forward to more!

Enjoyed a great March 2011 trip staying at the Boardwalk.
Enjoyed a great December 2011 trip to our home resort VWL with a short visit to see Harry Potter.
Enjoyed a great October 2012 trip at BLT.
Enjoyed a last minute surprise trip to Disneyland February 2013.
Enjoyed a great October 2013 trip to Saratoga Springs with our daughter and her college friends
Old 10-31-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
klacey1
DIS Veteran

I love how well-coordinated you and Garret are! The family pic on the beach is too adorable for words.
Landon discovering the ocean for the first time is amazing. When you grow up with the beach so close, it can be hard to remember that most of the US is NOT on the coast!
Love the shark sheets and Landon's obsession with them!!
Old 10-31-2013, 12:31 PM   #12
jenny105
DIS Veteran

I'm here!

Who doesn't love Peyton Manning? Landon and I have this in common and I'm not even a Broncos fan. I play fantasy football on Draftday and you pick a different team each week. Every week I pick at least one Bronco. Eric Decker is usually my favorite because he's the most affordable and puts up points every week. I think I'm a closeted Broncos fan lol. We even watched the Broncos/Colts game on our cruise ship! I'm kind of annoyed it's their bye week lol.

I hate when flights are delayed! My flights are almost always delayed coming back home because Newark airport is just so freakin busy all the time. But being delayed going to Disney is the worst!! Plus I hate sitting around airports. So boring.

Our town's main street names are North Ave and South Ave. How original!

Enjoying your TR so far! Can't wait to read about your Universal and Sea World days. That's different for you! You're usually so Disney focused.

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu/DCL ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
Old 10-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
JessM
We all have a dream

Great start I'm in!

I love Landon's face in the pictures at the beach, he looks so happy!
Old 10-31-2013, 02:13 PM   #14
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Joining in! Our trips overlapped by a few days at the end of your trip. Looking forward to more updates!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
Old 10-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #15
princess_momma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneybuckeye View Post
Great start to your report. Forgot we were there at the same time. We were at SSR from the 18-26. Our daughter and 5 of her college friends were with us from the 18-22 for their fall break. I too am sad to be home.

I know what you mean about the weather. It snowed here in Ohio while we were gone. Brrrrrr

Looking forward to more!
I forgot we were there at the same time too!! You'll have to let me know if you start a tr!

It snowed while we were gone too! SO GLAD I missed that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
I love how well-coordinated you and Garret are! The family pic on the beach is too adorable for words.
Landon discovering the ocean for the first time is amazing. When you grow up with the beach so close, it can be hard to remember that most of the US is NOT on the coast!
Love the shark sheets and Landon's obsession with them!!
Haha...we were often coordinated. Completely accidentally, of course.

I wish we had a beach close! It's so crazy imagining people not having the same stuff you've had your whole life. Like I think it would be so weird not to have mountains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post
I'm here!

Who doesn't love Peyton Manning? Landon and I have this in common and I'm not even a Broncos fan. I play fantasy football on Draftday and you pick a different team each week. Every week I pick at least one Bronco. Eric Decker is usually my favorite because he's the most affordable and puts up points every week. I think I'm a closeted Broncos fan lol. We even watched the Broncos/Colts game on our cruise ship! I'm kind of annoyed it's their bye week lol.

I hate when flights are delayed! My flights are almost always delayed coming back home because Newark airport is just so freakin busy all the time. But being delayed going to Disney is the worst!! Plus I hate sitting around airports. So boring.

Our town's main street names are North Ave and South Ave. How original!

Enjoying your TR so far! Can't wait to read about your Universal and Sea World days. That's different for you! You're usually so Disney focused.
YAY!!! I'm so glad you are here! It's hard not to love the Broncos right now, so I completely understand. I'm sad about the bye week myself. But what was more sad was that Colts/Broncos game!

I don't think I've ever had a flight that delayed, if at all. Spoiled, I know. It sucked being stuck there. At least it wasn't a Disney day I was missing out on!

I think we would be way better at naming street names. We often have street names that are also the names of the towns/cities. Hard to say which is more original, your north or south, or our "we can't think of a good street name so let's just call it the place we are".

My excitement for our non-Disney days was pretty crazy, thanks to Harry Potter and marine mammals. It'll be a good time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessM View Post
Great start I'm in!

I love Landon's face in the pictures at the beach, he looks so happy!
Welcome Jess!!

Landon LOVED the beach sooo much, I just loved seeing his face light up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
Joining in! Our trips overlapped by a few days at the end of your trip. Looking forward to more updates!
Welcome! It was a great time of year to go!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: