DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2013, 12:47 AM   #16
DoleWhipped2
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
If your flexible in dates you can go and flexible in room sizes (ie - willing to book a 1BR instead of a studio, or even a 2BR) you'll probably have good luck at many times of the year. But keep in mind that VGC is the smallest DVC resort - only 23 2BR lockoffs (so max 23 studios and 23 1BR's) and 23 2 bedroom units plus 2 GV's so it's a risk.

Also, VB has the highest maintenance fees so savings in purchase price can quickly disappear over the years of ownership.

Getting a room at WDW at 7 months is quite a bit easier especially if you are willing to stay at any resort although there are a few times such as during Food and Wine and early December that are more difficult.
Thanks, KAT! This is very helpful.

I'm actually starting to lean towards purchasing at Aulani, planning to stay there 5 days a year (or 10 every other year) and only going to VGC for a weekend a year. Any thoughts?
DoleWhipped2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #17
wbl2745
I've gone over to the Silly Symphony Swings to "spin dry."

I vote for VGC

I'm a little late to the conversation, but we're in the same situation as the OP. We live in Provo, Utah and own at VGC. I also agree (although my wife differs with me) that the DLR is better than WDW. Because of our proximity to DLR compared to WDW, we make to the DLR more frequently than to WDW.

The biggest issue in my mind however is having the home resort advantage at VGC. I haven't had problems finding a resort at WDW, but getting what you want at VGC, given its small size, can be difficult. For instance I attended the D23 convention last August and since VGC is my home resort I was able to reserve at 11 months. By the time the 7 month window opened there were no studios available.

Many people are able to find what the want at VGC at 7 months, but if I were going to guess, I bet there is in general less availability at VGC than at either Aulani or WDW. I'd encourage purchasing at VGC. (I probably shouldn't say that since I'm in the market for another 100 points myself.)

In any case, we've loved our DVC membership and I think that where ever you decide to purchase, you'll enjoy the membership for years. (Now I sound like a DVC guide.)

Good luck!

DVC Member since February 24, 2010
wbl2745 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #18
GiantsNiners11
DVC Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbl2745 View Post
I'm a little late to the conversation, but we're in the same situation as the OP. We live in Provo, Utah and own at VGC. I also agree (although my wife differs with me) that the DLR is better than WDW. Because of our proximity to DLR compared to WDW, we make to the DLR more frequently than to WDW.

The biggest issue in my mind however is having the home resort advantage at VGC. I haven't had problems finding a resort at WDW, but getting what you want at VGC, given its small size, can be difficult. For instance I attended the D23 convention last August and since VGC is my home resort I was able to reserve at 11 months. By the time the 7 month window opened there were no studios available.

Many people are able to find what the want at VGC at 7 months, but if I were going to guess, I bet there is in general less availability at VGC than at either Aulani or WDW. I'd encourage purchasing at VGC. (I probably shouldn't say that since I'm in the market for another 100 points myself.)

In any case, we've loved our DVC membership and I think that where ever you decide to purchase, you'll enjoy the membership for years. (Now I sound like a DVC guide.)

Good luck!
This is preceisely why we bought at VGC.

Our strategy was simple enough:

1.) Points at AKV for AKV Value/Concierge (11-month necessary most of the time)

2.) Points at VGC because we travel 3-day weekends and summer (11-month sometimes necessary)

3.) Points at SSR because cheap dues and cheap upfront cost to allow us flexibility for 7-month trade-in at other resorts as well as the occasional Treehouse Villa.

We were lucky to find a VGC 100 point at $103 point and just went to ROFR earlier this week on a $105 per point 125 point contract with same UY. I think we're going to stop there (for now....)
GiantsNiners11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #19
Msmithmd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantsNiners11 View Post
This is preceisely why we bought at VGC. Our strategy was simple enough: 1.) Points at AKV for AKV Value/Concierge (11-month necessary most of the time) 2.) Points at VGC because we travel 3-day weekends and summer (11-month sometimes necessary) 3.) Points at SSR because cheap dues and cheap upfront cost to allow us flexibility for 7-month trade-in at other resorts as well as the occasional Treehouse Villa. We were lucky to find a VGC 100 point at $103 point and just went to ROFR earlier this week on a $105 per point 125 point contract with same UY. I think we're going to stop there (for now....)
This is one of the best thought-out strategies to DVC I've seen in a while. Props to that.
Msmithmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:39 AM   #20
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoleWhipped2 View Post
Thanks, KAT! This is very helpful.

I'm actually starting to lean towards purchasing at Aulani, planning to stay there 5 days a year (or 10 every other year) and only going to VGC for a weekend a year. Any thoughts?
You could buy at both - a larger contract at Aulani and smaller at VGC. But if your flexible then either would probably work but I'd buy at one or the other and not any of the east coast resorts. IMO VGC will have more difficulty at 7 months than Aulani and it has lower dues although you will probably have to pay a little more for it. There's a few variables such as wanting the lowest point studios at Aulani at busy times that might sway me the other way if a contract with subsidized dues could be found.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #21
DoleWhipped2
Earning My Ears

Thanks to all for the very useful insight!
DoleWhipped2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: