Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #316
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammatt View Post
Wow, that sounds very frustrating and exhausting.
We are traveling with my daughter, who uses a wheelchair, this weekend. Can you confirm which attractions are handing out the return time cards for wheelchairs?
I can only tell you of the 8 I know of, and this may change. I would count on it being the big 9.

Space Mountain
Jungle Cruise
Indiana Jones
Pirates
Haunted Mansion
Splash Mountain
Small World
Peter Pan

I am not sure about any others, though perhaps Roger Rabbit.

I was also told that an able bodied member of the group MAY be allowed to go get a wheelchair return time, so long as the person with the visual cue (you daughter) is there when you return to ride. This was written into the rules for the DAS, but not the wheelchair return tickets - I guess they just did not think of it.

There is no end time on the wheelchair return tickets, so after parades, fireworks, shows, etc, the return line can be quite long - avoid going back at these times.

It is rather annoying, and I expect the system to be changing as they figure out what works and what does not (like I should be able to get a wheelchair return time at a kiosk, rather than needing to wheel all the way to the ride, only to be told to go away).

This system does not exist in DCA as everything is mainstreamed.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
Old 10-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #317
sammatt
Mouseketeer

Thank you so much Katy!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-24-2013, 12:17 AM   #318
IndianaPrincess
Mouseketeer

Our trip is over. The DAS was okay. It was tough but we managed. There was only one time that I was upset and driven to tears. Ill come back later with more of the trip, but my biggest complaint is that the kiosks are too few and far between. My break down point was in front of Goofy's coaster with the heat beating down and thinking about having to go back to the Fantasyland kiosk with that up and down path.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:26 AM   #319
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaPrincess
Our trip is over. The DAS was okay. It was tough but we managed. There was only one time that I was upset and driven to tears. Ill come back later with more of the trip, but my biggest complaint is that the kiosks are too few and far between. My break down point was in front of Goofy's coaster with the heat beating down and thinking about having to go back to the Fantasyland kiosk with that up and down path.
Um, I'm guessing you mean gadgets coaster. Goofy's is in DCA. But this is exactly the attraction that I was thinking was going to be problematic. But I would love to hear more about your actual experiences.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:36 AM   #320
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaPrincess View Post
I totally agree, and I think there should be a kiosk in Toontown AND critter country. Both require going under the train tracks, which means a non ADA hill - they are too steep. Yes, there is an attempt made for toontown but it is most often used for stroller parking. If nothing else, attractions in this area should be allowed to give times at the attraction. Because there is no way I can go back and forth from Splash to the kiosk and back just for Winnie the Pooh. What ends up happening is we skip things.

I am working on a very long letter to Disneyland with my experiences. I am going to DCA tomorrow or the day after, since all my experience has been in DL so far, not in DCA. I have heard plenty of stories, but I want personal experience before writing to them.

I am also hoping to get a better email to write to as opposed to just filling out the form online.

The DAS is less the problem I have - it is the fact there are two new system colliding at attractions and they are just plain overwhelmed.

There are several ways to work on this (end times for wheelchair return tickets, so there is a steadier flow, something special for people needing wheelchair vehicles so the attractions people know what is coming, etc)

I would like, eventually, to be able to get a second DAS time after the first DAS time has arrived. This means I will have waited the whole first time, but then I can get a new Return Time if I happen to be passing a cart, rather than doubling back. I would get my return time for Winnie the Pooh AND Splash before going up and down hills in my manual chair. That would allow people who still need to wait for their own reasons (recovering from heat, meltdown, etc) to keep the time they waited on the card.

There are times that I get a time for Space Mountain, but something happens that when my time arrives, I am not able to ride right then. Maybe my stomach is giving me problems, but I cannot get a time to go on a tamer ride, like Buzz Lightyear without losing all the time I waited for Space Mountain. It is very frustrating.

I know this is off topic, I was just hoping to get some DL goer reaction to this idea. WDW and DL are so different, the system will have to be changed a little to accommodate each park.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
Old 10-24-2013, 01:04 AM   #321
Jperiod
Princesses Gone Wild

I sent my letters yesterday. The lack of kiosks was one of the things I mentioned as well as the additional FP or accessible line waits, and my son's problems with planning what he wants to do 60-90 minutes from now.

DLR in 1/97, 8/98, 12/98, 12/99, 12/00, 12/02, 12/03, 12/04, 12/05, 10/07, 12/07, 5/08, 12/08, 5/09, 12/09, 5/10, and 12/10.
WDW in 12/11 to satisfy our curiousity.
Back to DLR in 12/12, 2/13 (VGC ), 7/13 (2 day trips), 10/13, 12/13, and 12/14!
Old 10-24-2013, 01:24 AM   #322
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeveler

I totally agree, and I think there should be a kiosk in Toontown AND critter country. Both require going under the train tracks, which means a non ADA hill - they are too steep. Yes, there is an attempt made for toontown but it is most often used for stroller parking. If nothing else, attractions in this area should be allowed to give times at the attraction. Because there is no way I can go back and forth from Splash to the kiosk and back just for Winnie the Pooh. What ends up happening is we skip things.

I am working on a very long letter to Disneyland with my experiences. I am going to DCA tomorrow or the day after, since all my experience has been in DL so far, not in DCA. I have heard plenty of stories, but I want personal experience before writing to them.

I am also hoping to get a better email to write to as opposed to just filling out the form online.

The DAS is less the problem I have - it is the fact there are two new system colliding at attractions and they are just plain overwhelmed.

There are several ways to work on this (end times for wheelchair return tickets, so there is a steadier flow, something special for people needing wheelchair vehicles so the attractions people know what is coming, etc)

I would like, eventually, to be able to get a second DAS time after the first DAS time has arrived. This means I will have waited the whole first time, but then I can get a new Return Time if I happen to be passing a cart, rather than doubling back. I would get my return time for Winnie the Pooh AND Splash before going up and down hills in my manual chair. That would allow people who still need to wait for their own reasons (recovering from heat, meltdown, etc) to keep the time they waited on the card.

There are times that I get a time for Space Mountain, but something happens that when my time arrives, I am not able to ride right then. Maybe my stomach is giving me problems, but I cannot get a time to go on a tamer ride, like Buzz Lightyear without losing all the time I waited for Space Mountain. It is very frustrating.

I know this is off topic, I was just hoping to get some DL goer reaction to this idea. WDW and DL are so different, the system will have to be changed a little to accommodate each park.
There is a thread on ideas to improve the DAS, I suggest posting this in there to demonstrate some of the issues.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:29 AM   #323
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

I am almost sure of the answer to this is no but just in case I missed something. Is there anyway to pre apply for the DAS? With the temporary disabled parking permit I get for Orlando ( I am from the UK and they kindly issue a US one after seeing my UK one which is great ) I can apply for this ahead of time to save going to the office and a drive ( and the time it takes ) . Nothing like this?
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

Sep/Oct 2014 Post trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337960

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Old 10-24-2013, 07:42 AM   #324
gee1209
Earning My Ears

So sorry if this question was asked already but I can't find the answer. We are arriving in one week and staying in Epcot area hotel. I would like to request a gac the first night of arrived at the back entrance of Epcot so that the first day we can eliminate this process. If not perhaps I can go to mk entrance. This will be around 7:00pm. Thx !
Old 10-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #325
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Sedley-Burke View Post
I am almost sure of the answer to this is no but just in case I missed something. Is there anyway to pre apply for the DAS? With the temporary disabled parking permit I get for Orlando ( I am from the UK and they kindly issue a US one after seeing my UK one which is great ) I can apply for this ahead of time to save going to the office and a drive ( and the time it takes ) . Nothing like this?
No.
You can't apply ahead of time.
DAS cards are only given at the theme parks and the person applying for DAS has to be with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee1209 View Post
So sorry if this question was asked already but I can't find the answer. We are arriving in one week and staying in Epcot area hotel. I would like to request a gac the first night of arrived at the back entrance of Epcot so that the first day we can eliminate this process. If not perhaps I can go to mk entrance. This will be around 7:00pm. Thx !
You posted on the Disneyland thread - a Epcot has a back entrance with a Guest Relations kiosk. No one has reported getting one there so I am not sure if they are issuing them.
The written information provided by Disney says "main entrance" ;it is unclear if that is considered a main entrance or not.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 10-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #326
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
No. You can't apply ahead of time. DAS cards are only given at the theme parks and the person applying for DAS has to be with you. You posted on the Disneyland thread - a Epcot has a back entrance with a Guest Relations kiosk. No one has reported getting one there so I am not sure if they are issuing them. The written information provided by Disney says "main entrance" ;it is unclear if that is considered a main entrance or not.
thank you for your reply.
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

Sep/Oct 2014 Post trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337960

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Old 10-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #327
IndianaPrincess
Mouseketeer

I'm at a keyboard now, so I can go into more detail about things.

Getting the DAS was simple for us (I was not worried at all). I followed the advice here and didn't even mention any of his conditions. I just explained his issues with the line queues. We got the DAS card and a stroller as wheelchair tag.

***TIP*** Put the tag on the side or top of the stoller. She put ours on the back and it became annoying to have to keep swinging the stroller around to show to each CM. The second day I got a new tag and made it visable from the front.

***Sidenote*** I can tell you they are not passing the DAS out like candy. There was an upset lady that barged in when I was getting one because she was denied and thought my CM would be better to ask. I have no idea her story as they shuffled her away. Another time I stopped in to get a RT and the lady next to me was begging the CM to reconsider saying "You don't understand, I have to keep walking. I can't sit or stand so a wheelchair won't help me." I felt so bad for her - glad that I didn't have an issue getting it.

***ANOTHER TIP*** As I just mentioned, you can get a RT at both guest service locations. We would stop in as we entered the park for a RT and by the time we made it to the ride, it would be time to go on. It was a nice way to start the day.

It was so crowded this past weekend. I didn't expect it to be as bad as it was. We were overwhelmed trying to figure out where to go for things and what ride needed a wheelchair return pass and what needed a DAS and what was walk on (FYI nothing!) and so on. Oh and we just couldn't seem to figure out where to go when returning to rides. It was a hot mess. You have to remember that we aren't DL regulars, so I have the disability map in one hand, the stroller in the other, three more kiddos to keep track of along with my hubby pushing my mother in law around in a wheelchair. I love the Disney theming, but I just wanted some big DAS ENTER HERE and WHEELCHAIR ENTER HERE signs.

This really was not too big a deal, but for those not currently familiar with the parks... do yourself a favor and look over the map with an eye for where you will enter . Maybe even we can all pitch in to put together a cheat sheet.

***TIP*** When you get a RT at the kiosk, ask the CM for the exact location for where to go to use the pass at that ride. People can tell you that there will be CM at the ride, but many times we had trouble finding someone.

Okay I have to take a break. I'll be back with more later.

Last edited by SueM in MN; 10-27-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #328
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

We went to the parks yesterday and I thought I should post some updates, as there have been some improvements.

First off, I had to renew my DAS, so I asked about some concerns that I had come up.

The person that was helping was very nice and explained everything very well.

There are tweaks being made, some are behind the scenes that you won't really know what they are doing, you will just see the results. Such as fixing long waits when you return to an attraction.

Here is the official policy for return times near closing: they ask that you leave enough time to get from the kiosk to the attraction with 5 minutes to spare before closing and they will make the return time for 5 minutes before closing.

For attractions like Pirates that end up with a long accessible queue, the official policy is that the DAS works like a FP for the accessible queue. You may have other DAS holders in front of you, but you are supposed to go ahead of others, as you have already waited.

They are trying to figure out how to fix the extra traveling. They know they need more kiosks, but don't even currently have the manpower they need for the ones they have now, let alone more. Apparently the GR CMs are all working about 13 hour days and at least 6 days a week at that. Which I am sure is great for their wallets, but I have done that before and it is exhausting. So, please keep this in mind when you might get a CM who is a little less than enthusiastic.

Somehow they have managed to fix the issue of waiting when returning. Even on racers we only had one wheelchair party in front of us and the queue was still a 90 minute wait. So, as far as wait times, it seems things are getting to be closer to equal.

That being said, there were a couple of times that I looked at queues that were visible and did question if the posted wait times were accurate. One I thought the actual wait would have been longer than posted, most I think would have been shorter. So getting more accurate wait times is something that needs to happen. But that is something that affects all guests.

Overall, I would say this system has been an improvement so far, especially with the shorter lines when returning. But then again, I generally waited the length of the standby line before going to the next attraction with the old system anyway due to my needs, so what's really the difference if Disney is telling me I must wait or if it's my body telling me this? Either way, it amounts it the same thing. So, this system means that given my needs and the shorter waits when returning, I can potentially do more attractions than with the GAC. But that is given my circumstances that I was waiting between attractions anyway, not because I wanted to, but because I had to. The new system just adds in Disney telling me I have to wait in addition to my body doing so. In my case the new system, aside from the extra traveling works better, especially now that they have found ways to fix the other issues that I had.

As I said the new system has some issues, less now than when the system started, but there is still at least the issue of extra traveling, Disney definitely is working on fixing them. Again, This has been backed up by actions.

The biggest takeaway though was she did say that Disney is listening and that you should definitely use the website to provide feedback and be specific about what worked for you and what problems you may have encountered. And what she said has been backed up by actions, so it's not just lip service.

Well, that and if you live near the parks and are looking for a job, it would probably be pretty easy to get over in GR right now.

Last edited by cmwade77; 10-26-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #329
ImTooExcitedToSleep
Disneyland Correspondent for The DIS UnpluggedI'll try to pop in later
Doh! Yeah, that one

In case you missed it....

Carol and Michael Bowling discuss their experience in the Parks after the implementation of DAS on this week's DIS Unplugged: Disneyland Edition podcast.

Download:
10/24/13 DIS Unplugged: Disneyland Edition

Listen directly:
Disability Access Service
Old 10-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #330
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTooExcitedToSleep View Post
In case you missed it....

Carol and Michael Bowling discuss their experience in the Parks after the implementation of DAS on this week's DIS Unplugged: Disneyland Edition podcast.

Download:
10/24/13 DIS Unplugged: Disneyland Edition

Listen directly:
Disability Access Service
Thanks Tom for the link did we forget jack burgin was also on the show.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: