Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #2911
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

Is it better to change in the changing area or is it less crowded if you go into the park and hit a restroom? I will have a washcloth, small towel and a bunch of baby wipes to try and "freshen up" afterwards. I assume the only place to find running water will be the restrooms, correct?

DH just realized that he is going to have to start running with his phone. He has an armband for it but since he doesn't listen to music when he runs, he's never used it. I told him that he will need his phone and ID on him when he runs so that I can call him when I finish. He will be at least 45 minutes, if not an hour ahead of me. So he said he will use it on his next few training runs.

The kids are out of school for the rest of the week so we are up at the hunting property, getting prepared for firearm deer season which opens on November 15.... We come home on the 12th!! DH will have ONE day to get all of his hunting equipment ready and loaded. He's lining in his rifle today and the girls are going small-game hunting in about an hour. I'm sitting here in the truck, staying warm and wishing that I'd stayed home so I could run. Maybe I will try a night run when we get home. It is supposed to snow tonight so in not sure about running in the dark AND in the snow.

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV May 2015 AKV Expedition Everest Challenge
kristenrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #2912
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
I can't believe how close we are!!! YIPES!

Wanted to share this great top 10 list for preparing for a race- One of my fellow bloggers wrote it and gave permission to share!

Sadly, I'm in a position to make a lot of these mistakes! eeeekkkk!

http://margaritasmilesandmouse.blogs...-ten-list.html
I follow this blog too but missed this post, so thanks! Have to say, big sad face for #7 and a big on #4. I have the whole "feet are nasty" thing going on too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood8176 View Post
I'm planning to change and "shower", (I found athletic body wipes) and hang around. After the Disney Marathon, they politely funneled runners through the tent area, out of the finish area. Does anyone know how far out they push us for this? Can we get into the grandstand area?
I didn't do the changing tent thing last year but rather grabbed my snack box, a water, did the medal photo thing, and followed the fencing around towards the front of the park entrance. I met up with the DH right inside the park by the main W&D topiary just inside the turnstiles. It was a little less crowded there then closer to the finish line. It seemed pretty crowded all along the fencing that lines the last few hundred yards of the course. I believe after the picture stop, you circle back behind the grandstand(?) and then out towards the main entrance to the park. Hope this helps some.

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #2913
rachlovestv
Mouseketeer

I would recommend picking a meet up spot for post-race, regardless of whether you plan on having your cellphones with you and connecting that way or not.

Last year, my phone actually died during the race. I was running with my friend, so we finished together, but I felt like I was going to puke post-race and didn't want to party, so I waited for her at a bench outside the finish area while she ran into Epcot to get something to drink. 2 hours later, she finally found me again on my bench, because she had forgotten to note where it was when she left me, and we had no way of contacting Each other otherwise.

Obviously, it's not quite the same as picking a meetup spot, but the same idea applies. If we had clearly designated a spot to meet (other than me grunting "I wait here"), it might not have been quite so frustrating.
rachlovestv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #2914
PlutoBaby

Talking

Okay Coach - I know this subject has been beaten to death, but I'm going to throw this one at you for your opinion: I know I should start carb-loading as of Thursday(?) and keep it up until race day. I've read varying opinions as to carbs v. protein v. fat. Fat takes longer to digest and can cause some issues, however alot of people seem to do the 1/2 bagel with peanut butter thing within 1 hour of racing. Thoughts?? I simply ask due to the fatty peanut butter Also, during the race, I usually go through a bag of Stingers (2-3 every 3-4 miles). I don't typically have hydration problems, but wonder if the Stingers are better/worse/as good as something like pretzels?? I don;t know if the carbs work the same way regardless of what form they take (sugars v. whatever it is pretzels are made of ). Thanks again!!

How's the knee?

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #2915
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoBaby View Post
Okay Coach - I know this subject has been beaten to death, but I'm going to throw this one at you for your opinion: I know I should start carb-loading as of Thursday(?) and keep it up until race day. I've read varying opinions as to carbs v. protein v. fat. Fat takes longer to digest and can cause some issues, however alot of people seem to do the 1/2 bagel with peanut butter thing within 1 hour of racing. Thoughts?? I simply ask due to the fatty peanut butter Also, during the race, I usually go through a bag of Stingers (2-3 every 3-4 miles). I don't typically have hydration problems, but wonder if the Stingers are better/worse/as good as something like pretzels?? I don;t know if the carbs work the same way regardless of what form they take (sugars v. whatever it is pretzels are made of ). Thanks again!!

How's the knee?

Actually, carb loading as practiced by most is a fallacy. Frankly, it leads to a bloated, rock in the tummy or worse feeling in the race. Eating a couple days of carbs is just not going to help. I am not saying do not go out and have a nice pasta meal with friends and family, just keep the portions in moderation and only eat what you know you can handle well. Practice a good and balance diet through the week and have a light and carby meal (snack) Saturday night before coming over to the race.

What I try to get my runners to do if work up hydration. For the W&D, start on Thursday adding a glass or two of water to their normal intake. Your goal is to pee clear or slightly colored.

As back ground, carb loading was (and still is among some) practiced by marathoners  but one must deplete prior to the loading. So about a week out from a marathon, runners will stop eating carbs while amping up 2-3 workout intensities in an effect to hit rock bottom; carb tank is empty condition. If you want to practice this, head to the gym and work legs until you feel dizzy and like puking (or do so); this is signal that your body is operating in a carb depleted condition& it is not pretty or fun. Personally, I have to have a coach/trainer standing over me pushing to get there. Once depleated, carb loading occurs where the percentage of carbs is increased a few percentage points above normal. After a couple days of loading, runners will then pull back to a balanced diet for the last 3-5 days before the race.

Fat loading is a relatively new concept and one that I find intriguing and that I practice or a week long cycle event or the Goofy/Dopey weekend. Its not what one would think. In real simple terms, the process is only adding 5-10% of additional fat to your daily intake for a 2-3 day period and then through the race(s). I am not talking adding a couple Bacon-ator Half Pounders, or a huge prime rib meal on race eave; rather, focus on the good fats. An extra serving of almonds, a double dose of peanut butter, humus and veggies for a snack. The concept is simple. If one is well trained and running at an effort where fats are the primary source of fuel, a diet that has a sudden and higher quantity of fats will make them more readily available to the runner on race day. The fats that create issue are the same fats that I would try to avoid on most days anyway.

With regards to Pre-race and during race fueling, go with what you know. For many, Stingers work when other fuel sources fail. I would not feel bad about taking stingers about 20 minutes prerace (with water). Pretzels are old school marathon food. The carbs are fuel and the salts are electrolytes. I would not change at this time as you may be the one who has a bad reaction to pretzels on the run. What I would expect the first time one tried them is a really, really dry mouth and having difficulty getting them down. It is easily overcome, but will take a little trial and error.

With regard to the knee& Not such good news. I have iced and rested for the week. I am tempted to head out the door in the morning, just looking for reasons to not run  like I still wince with little notice as I walk.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #2916
Figment1990
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to say & TGIF to all my fellow W&D runners. We are SO close! Good luck to everyone in their training this weekend.

First trip: Mar 90, Polynesian Most recent trips: Feb '14, Princess 1/2 - GF; Jan '14, Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon! - GCH; Nov '13, Wine & Dine 1/2Marathon - BWI! In-between: Grand Floridian, AKV-Kidani, Poly, WL, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Coronado Springs, Disneyland Hotel
Figment1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #2917
capeseal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachlovestv View Post
I would recommend picking a meet up spot for post-race, regardless of whether you plan on having your cellphones with you and connecting that way or not.

Last year, my phone actually died during the race. I was running with my friend, so we finished together, but I felt like I was going to puke post-race and didn't want to party, so I waited for her at a bench outside the finish area while she ran into Epcot to get something to drink. 2 hours later, she finally found me again on my bench, because she had forgotten to note where it was when she left me, and we had no way of contacting Each other otherwise.

Obviously, it's not quite the same as picking a meetup spot, but the same idea applies. If we had clearly designated a spot to meet (other than me grunting "I wait here"), it might not have been quite so frustrating.
This is excellent advice!
capeseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #2918
jenny_nichole
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by capeseal View Post
This is excellent advice!
Agreed, thanks Rach for the great advice. I guess we'll choose a spot after we arrive on Saturday night before I catch a bus over to WWoS.

Thanks again.

jenny_nichole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #2919
PlutoBaby

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
Actually, carb loading as practiced by most is a fallacy. Frankly, it leads to a bloated, rock in the tummy or worse feeling in the race. Eating a couple days of carbs is just not going to help. I am not saying do not go out and have a nice pasta meal with friends and family, just keep the portions in moderation and only eat what you know you can handle well. Practice a good and balance diet through the week and have a light and carby meal (snack) Saturday night before coming over to the race.

What I try to get my runners to do if work up hydration. For the W&D, start on Thursday adding a glass or two of water to their normal intake. Your goal is to pee clear or slightly colored.

As back ground, carb loading was (and still is among some) practiced by marathoners  but one must deplete prior to the loading. So about a week out from a marathon, runners will stop eating carbs while amping up 2-3 workout intensities in an effect to hit rock bottom; carb tank is empty condition. If you want to practice this, head to the gym and work legs until you feel dizzy and like puking (or do so); this is signal that your body is operating in a carb depleted condition& it is not pretty or fun. Personally, I have to have a coach/trainer standing over me pushing to get there. Once depleated, carb loading occurs where the percentage of carbs is increased a few percentage points above normal. After a couple days of loading, runners will then pull back to a balanced diet for the last 3-5 days before the race.

Fat loading is a relatively new concept and one that I find intriguing and that I practice or a week long cycle event or the Goofy/Dopey weekend. Its not what one would think. In real simple terms, the process is only adding 5-10% of additional fat to your daily intake for a 2-3 day period and then through the race(s). I am not talking adding a couple Bacon-ator Half Pounders, or a huge prime rib meal on race eave; rather, focus on the good fats. An extra serving of almonds, a double dose of peanut butter, humus and veggies for a snack. The concept is simple. If one is well trained and running at an effort where fats are the primary source of fuel, a diet that has a sudden and higher quantity of fats will make them more readily available to the runner on race day. The fats that create issue are the same fats that I would try to avoid on most days anyway.

With regards to Pre-race and during race fueling, go with what you know. For many, Stingers work when other fuel sources fail. I would not feel bad about taking stingers about 20 minutes prerace (with water). Pretzels are old school marathon food. The carbs are fuel and the salts are electrolytes. I would not change at this time as you may be the one who has a bad reaction to pretzels on the run. What I would expect the first time one tried them is a really, really dry mouth and having difficulty getting them down. It is easily overcome, but will take a little trial and error.

As always, you are the voice of reason...even if that voice contradicts everything else I read! No worries, though, going to stick with what I know. I have a 10 miler this weekend, so I'll take my Stingers with me and be done with it. I was too anxious to eat much more than a few bites of a turkey sub last year, so I think it'll be the good old tuna/pasta salad around 5pm and a Clif bar around 8:30-9pm. Hydration is definitely not an issue. I train in this south Florida heat all year long so if I drank anything more than I already do, I'd probably float off to Cuba.
With regard to the knee& Not such good news. I have iced and rested for the week. I am tempted to head out the door in the morning, just looking for reasons to not run  like I still wince with little notice as I walk.
NO!!! Healing thoughts, and coming your way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment1990 View Post
Just wanted to say & TGIF to all my fellow W&D runners. We are SO close! Good luck to everyone in their training this weekend.
and back at ya! Can't wait to see you all in 13 days, 10 hours and 29 minutes!!

Old 10-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #2920
Figment1990
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks for the advice Coach! I hope your knee starts to feel better sooner rather than later. Hang in there.

First trip: Mar 90, Polynesian Most recent trips: Feb '14, Princess 1/2 - GF; Jan '14, Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon! - GCH; Nov '13, Wine & Dine 1/2Marathon - BWI! In-between: Grand Floridian, AKV-Kidani, Poly, WL, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Coronado Springs, Disneyland Hotel
Figment1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #2921
jpeka65844
DIS Veteran

So I know that last year the Osbourne Lights were on. Anyone confirm that they will be this year?? I would be super disappointed if we got there and they were off.

jpeka65844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #2922
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeka65844 View Post
So I know that last year the Osbourne Lights were on. Anyone confirm that they will be this year?? I would be super disappointed if we got there and they were off.
They are turning them on just for us.... On November 8 --- off January 5 (sorry marathon folks)
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 10-25-2013, 10:46 PM   #2923
flatlandcycle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
They are turning them on just for us.... On November 8 --- off January 5 (sorry marathon folks)
Do you know about the Osborne cat?
flatlandcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:07 AM   #2924
cewait
DIS Veteran

I have not seen the cat, but am aware that there is a cat in the lights. I usually hear of the cat after I leave or after the lights are extinguished. Gives me an idea for this weekend's discovery... Most lights are up just waiting for the switch. Give me a chance to say hey to a neighbor I met the other day who is a CM at Hollywood and Vine.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 10-26-2013, 07:48 AM   #2925
smileyk8
DIS Veteran

Oh my word I am so thrilled and had to share my excitement with you guys *** I know you'll understand! I ran 11miles this morning! 1hr 30 and it didn't feel too horrendous! After having a terrible build up with health issues I can't believe I can actually do this race! Whooooo! I strapped my ITB and this REALLY helped.

Now for the question- does anyone have an elevation chart for the half? Any garmin people download it? I've searched and can't find one. I've really found it useful to visualise courses in the past and there was a brilliantly detailed description of WDW full online but can't find w&d

Last long run weekend everyone!!!!! Have an awesome time!!!!!!!!
Boston Marathon 2009 4hrs 22minsPrincess half marathon 2009 1hour 56mins, 57secs Walt Disney World Marathon 2010 4hrs 7minsRoyal parks half 2010 1:52:19WDW Wine and Dine 2013 1:50:16
smileyk8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: