Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
cgattis
DIS Veteran

Horseback riding at FW?

I see these scheduled as 45-minute rides. Has anyone done this recently? Do you actually get to RIDE for 45 minutes, or does that get eaten up by safety discussions, getting people who've never ridden all situated, etc.? For that price, I definitely want all 45 minutes! My kids (12 and 9) have grown up with horses that we never let them ride (because one of them is psychotic LOL); it's a shame. Thinking of doing this next trip. Thoughts from those who've been? Combined with visiting the barn, a good way to spend a spring morning (on a non-park day)?
cgattis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgattis View Post
I see these scheduled as 45-minute rides. Has anyone done this recently? Do you actually get to RIDE for 45 minutes, or does that get eaten up by safety discussions, getting people who've never ridden all situated, etc.? For that price, I definitely want all 45 minutes! My kids (12 and 9) have grown up with horses that we never let them ride (because one of them is psychotic LOL); it's a shame. Thinking of doing this next trip. Thoughts from those who've been? Combined with visiting the barn, a good way to spend a spring morning (on a non-park day)?
I go all the time at least once a month for years average is 45 minute actual ride, sometimes an hour, on the actual trail Pick first ride in morning if you can for nice wild life in the woods I think you will love your FW day so much to do there I would also then suggest eating at Trails End

Last edited by Luvchefmic; 10-23-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Luvchefmic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
siskaren
DIS Veteran

I would ask over on the camping board - I'm sure there are a lot of people over there who know a lot about the activities at FtW.
siskaren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
HeyLynners
Earning My Ears

We did it in 2011. The kids will be paired with the correct size bourse. The horses and guides were great. It was a 45 minute ride.
HeyLynners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
DemonLlama
Ultimate WPASADI Co-Winner
I Miss WDW!
Needs to catch up to Dan Murphy's post count
The Lizard Queen
Magnificent Creativear

You will get the full time on the ride since it's the same 45 minute walking loop around the grounds.

It is the butt to nose "ride" that won't do anything for people who ride horses anywhere else, but is pretty thrilling for horse crazy city kids.
DemonLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonLlama View Post
You will get the full time on the ride since it's the same 45 minute walking loop around the grounds.

It is the butt to nose "ride" that won't do anything for people who ride horses anywhere else, but is pretty thrilling for horse crazy city kids.
Nope have to disagree its certainly not a gallop cantor thing you're right ( and the horse in the sig line is my girl) but disagree it won't do a thing for people who ride horses, its a relaxing, peaceful time A pause in the rush rush of WDW and the CMs there are wonderful to talk to about everything Worth every penny
and a prelude to all FW has to offer
Old 10-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
franluvsbubba
Mouseketeer

My DD, 14 has been DYING to do this but we had to wait for my other DD who is 10 but is the size of a 6 yo, to be old enough to do it. She's the right age now, but will they make a big deal about her size? She's like 52" and 53 lbs.
franluvsbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic

Nope have to disagree its certainly not a gallop cantor thing you're right ( and the horse in the sig line is my girl) but disagree it won't do a thing for people who ride horses, its a relaxing, peaceful time A pause in the rush rush of WDW and the CMs there are wonderful to talk to about everything Worth every penny
and a prelude to all FW has to offer
As a professional rider and instructor I would be bored out of mind on this ride (and I did it as a kid back when I was a horse crazy city kid)...but it certainly is a break from the hustle and bustle of the parks.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
gretchenohar@hotmail

DIS Veteran

Can the kids go on the rides by themselves or do they have to be accompanied by an adult? I know they'll be in a group with a leader, and I would be there to get them situated, but I really don't relish getting on a horse at my age.
gretchenohar@hotmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
Brian_WDW74
Theme Parks Co-Moderator
Oh, I'm detecting nuttiness.

DISboards Moderator

Since horseback riding is an amenity offered at a resort, not the theme parks, I have moved this thread to the Disney Resorts board.

Brian_WDW74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #11
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
As a professional rider and instructor I would be bored out of mind on this ride (and I did it as a kid back when I was a horse crazy city kid)...but it certainly is a break from the hustle and bustle of the parks.
yes thought of you immediately but you are a special character and you would be bored out of your mind I know this

For the other posters no kids in my house anymore so the best place to get an answer to your questions, and you have to book through the number anyway
is 407-WDW-PLAY

Good luck, have fun !
Old 10-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #12
Sofiesmom
Earning My Ears

We just did this with my 11 year old daughter in August. It was a nice time. It did last the full 45 minutes and I feel that you get your monies worth. Since we aren't seasoned riders, it was perfect for us. My dad also went with us and we had a blast. If you aren't new to riding, I wouldn't suggest it as it may be a bit boring. It is a lot more slower paced. It took awhile to get fitted for your horse and they do weigh you upon check in. I believe they have a 250lb weight limit. It was super hot when we went and the helmets made it more hot. All I. All, I would do it again if we had the chance. A nice break from the parks.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Sofiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #13
cgattis
DIS Veteran

Well, considering how long it's been since I've ridden any of mine, I think I'd actually prefer a nose-to-butt stroll to the "excitement" I'd get there!! As I said, the kids don't really get to ride; it's more for them, but I won't turn down a leisurely stroll. A nice big sniff of horse neck is a good way to start any day . (If Julie can and books, I can sniff horses LOL).

What kind of gear do they use? I normally ride with a hackamore, so I want to make sure my kids really understand what a bit does before we get there, if that's what they use. I'm sure I should be teaching them that anyway, but our tamest mare (the only one the ever got to ride) passed away last weekend. She was nearly 30 and a grand old dame . RIP Foxy.
cgattis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #14
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgattis View Post
Well, considering how long it's been since I've ridden any of mine, I think I'd actually prefer a nose-to-butt stroll to the "excitement" I'd get there!! As I said, the kids don't really get to ride; it's more for them, but I won't turn down a leisurely stroll. A nice big sniff of horse neck is a good way to start any day . (If Julie can and books, I can sniff horses LOL).

What kind of gear do they use? I normally ride with a hackamore, so I want to make sure my kids really understand what a bit does before we get there, if that's what they use. I'm sure I should be teaching them that anyway, but our tamest mare (the only one the ever got to ride) passed away last weekend. She was nearly 30 and a grand old dame . RIP Foxy.
Western saddles....and if the picture above is accurate, snaffles. Though I imagine they probably employ a variety of bits depending on the horse. Some may go better in a snaffle, some in a hackamore or a sidepull, and so on.

I understand that they adopt the horses out after several years of service to "retire" thehorses. I swear, one of these days I'm going to look into that!
Old 10-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #15
Dudetrue
Mouseketeer

Riding in FW

My family, Me, Hubby and DD 22 did this last year and loved it. It was a small group of about 12. We went early in the morning on a November day and we had a ball. I have had horses (more like really big dogs to me) so I was interested in how it would go. It was very laid back and the instructors took their time fitting everyone in helmets. There were lockers because they didn't want items banging around and spooking the horses but they didn't seem much the type to spook.
It was kinda cute because one little horse kept coming out of the barn to hang next to his buddy.
They give you a nice walk more around the campground than anything. No trotting or even getting out of line. This is not for someone who can't follow instructions. I mean these are real live huge animals and someone who decided to go all cowboy could really make a problem. The horses go nose to tail except if they try to grab a bit of grass or are jealous of each other but the walk is very nice if the weather is nice. We knew the horses were well trained when they all stopped for a potty break (the horses not the people) on Que.
If a little one is too small for the trail ride I would suggest the carriage ride. It's a way to experience the fun of interacting with the horses a bit and it's a private getaway from the hustle and bustle.
Dudetrue is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: