Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Please Double Check Your Documents Today

Hi everybody! Once again, this is my reminder to check on your documents. We have a lot of new people on the disboards, so I thought it a good time to re-post.

There are many horror stories on the boards about people who went to their document drawer the night before their cruise only to discover their passport or birth certificate was not where they thought it would be. One or two people have missed cruises. Others have had to show up at passport offices at 6 am to be first in line to get a passport by 1 pm and still make the ship.

Still other people have forgotten that their bank is closed on weekends, or that the Friday before they leave is a bank holiday. They can't get their passport from the bank's safety deposit box!

Please check the location and accessibility of your passport or birth certificate today.

Please check the expiration date of your passport and driver's license.

Final note: there are plenty of threads debating passport vs. birth certificate and driver's license. Plenty. Please let's not debate that one again on this thread. Be content that your way is best.
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
JohnDS
DIS Veteran

fyi, just renewed my passport by mail, standard service and had my new one delivered in 11 days. They are running pretty quick now.
JohnDS is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
Carrie in AZ
DIS Veteran

Sound advice for sure!
July 2013 Aulani
June 2012 - GCH July 2012 - Aulani
June 2011 - CR/BCV
Thanksgiving 2010 - Disneyland
Nov 2009 - CR/Poly Oct 2009 - GCH Nov 2008 - BC
June 2008 - GCH Oct 2007 - DLH
Nov 2006 - POR June 2004 - DLH
Apr 2002 - POR Nov 1999 - Dixie Landings
Carrie in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Swampers View Post
Hi everybody! Once again, this is my reminder to check on your documents. We have a lot of new people on the disboards, so I thought it a good time to re-post.

There are many horror stories on the boards about people who went to their document drawer the night before their cruise only to discover their passport or birth certificate was not where they thought it would be. One or two people have missed cruises. Others have had to show up at passport offices at 6 am to be first in line to get a passport by 1 pm and still make the ship.

Still other people have forgotten that their bank is closed on weekends, or that the Friday before they leave is a bank holiday. They can't get their passport from the bank's safety deposit box!

Please check the location and accessibility of your passport or birth certificate today.

Please check the expiration date of your passport and driver's license.

Final note: there are plenty of threads debating passport vs. birth certificate and driver's license. Plenty. Please let's not debate that one again on this thread. Be content that your way is best.
Always a good reminder.
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
NCConch
Mouseketeer

Pulled ours out of the safe this weekend. All set! Wish there was stacks of $$ in the safe.

1st Disney Cruise - Dec 26-29, 2013 on the Dream

NCConch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
TheWescotts
Mouseketeer

Let me tell a story about a family who booked a last minute cruise for the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Booking it just 10 days before sail date. Now this family had a 1yo DD. Thanksgiving morning arrives and Dad goes to get the birth certificate out of the firebox...oh no long story short, we never requested it. NOW it is Thanksgiving morning and we have no BC to take on a cruise and everything is closed for days. What to do.

WELL, we found out about State Department form DS-10. Birth Affidavit. It is a form you can fill out and have notarized affirming that you witnessed the child being born in whichever city. Would it work? Nobody could tell us. Soooo, we headed out on the 12 hour drive the port on faith.

Get there, after the CMs talked about it for a bit they came and asked if they could make a copy for training purposes. I replied "If you are letting us on the ship, do whatever you like."

And that is how we compensated for not having a birth certificate.
TheWescotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWescotts View Post
Let me tell a story about a family who booked a last minute cruise for the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Booking it just 10 days before sail date. Now this family had a 1yo DD. Thanksgiving morning arrives and Dad goes to get the birth certificate out of the firebox...oh no long story short, we never requested it. NOW it is Thanksgiving morning and we have no BC to take on a cruise and everything is closed for days. What to do.

WELL, we found out about State Department form DS-10. Birth Affidavit. It is a form you can fill out and have notarized affirming that you witnessed the child being born in whichever city. Would it work? Nobody could tell us. Soooo, we headed out on the 12 hour drive the port on faith.

Get there, after the CMs talked about it for a bit they came and asked if they could make a copy for training purposes. I replied "If you are letting us on the ship, do whatever you like."

And that is how we compensated for not having a birth certificate.
Wow! Glad you made it!
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
Wolfie68
Mouseketeer

Hi, this is our first cruise! Do all cruises need documentation other than a drivers license? I am not sure where to look to see what we need? We are sailing the Magic to the Bahamas for a 4 day cruise... thanks for your input!!
Wolfie68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #9
SchneiderFam
Earning My Ears

This is excellent excellent advice! We consider ourselves experienced travelers/cruisers, but January 2010 we pulled up for a 4 day on a Wonder with three passports. Too bad they were the current ones for DH and me and the cancelled version of my previous passport. DS passport was at home. Fortunately, my sis was able to fax a copy of his birth certificate from home. Otherwise, it would have been the cruise we missed. After we were on board, Hubby and I just kept commenting that we were "those people" in this particular circumstance.
SchneiderFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #10
SuperDry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie68 View Post
Hi, this is our first cruise! Do all cruises need documentation other than a drivers license?
Yes. All Disney cruises involve int'l travel and thus proof of citizenship for all passengers is required, regardless of age. Any passenger may use a passport for this purpose. US citizens can use a certified birth certificate (plus a drivers license if they are 18 or older) instead of a passport.
SuperDry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #11
SuperDry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchneiderFam View Post
This is excellent excellent advice! We consider ourselves experienced travelers/cruisers, but January 2010 we pulled up for a 4 day on a Wonder with three passports. Too bad they were the current ones for DH and me and the cancelled version of my previous passport. DS passport was at home. Fortunately, my sis was able to fax a copy of his birth certificate from home.
A faxed copy of a birth certificate is most definitely NOT a certified copy or original and is not valid for travel. You are lucky that you got away with it. I wouldn't want anyone else reading this to think they can rely on a faxed copy.
SuperDry is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: