Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
carnival kid
Mouseketeer

Keep Poly or change to BC??

Looking for advise and opinions.

We are travelling over from Australia in June/July 2014. We have never been to WDW before and it may be a once in lifetime trip

We have 2 kids who will be 3.5 yrs and 15 months at the time.

We are doing 5 days AoA, 4 day DCL on dream and currently have 5 days at Polynesian.

The construction that will be going at the Polynesian doesn't really bother us so I was still happy with the booking.... but the pool being closed is another story.... I feel that with 2 small kids it is probably my deal breaker.

Thinking of changing over the BC garden view which will work out the same price.

What would you do?????

2008-Disneyland

2011 -Disneyland

2014-Disney World - Disney Cruise - Disneyland
carnival kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

I would change. Forking out Poly $$ to be in the middle of a construction zone and having the main pool closed would not be the way I want to spend my money.

The pool at BC is pretty awesome too!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
Theta
DIS Veteran

Yes, change to Beach club. YOu can walk to EPCOT and short boat ride to MGM and of course the pool!

~26.2 x 8~
Theta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
catheren
DIS Veteran

with the Poly under construction, do BC
catheren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
toolmanjan
Never enough Disney

Even if there wasn't construction at the Poly I would recommend BC over the poly hands down!
toolmanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
mrsp1030
DIS Veteran

For your kids ages, I'd recommend another monorail resort or WL. The pool is awesome at BC but can be very spread out and lack of QS at BC also.
mrsp1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #7
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsp1030 View Post
For your kids ages, I'd recommend another monorail resort or WL. The pool is awesome at BC but can be very spread out and lack of QS at BC also.
I agree. SAB is pretty spread out and can be challenging with little ones and CS is pretty limited (IMO). Also, since the pool is shared with the YC, it can get very crowded at times. I second the WL. Our favorite resort (and pool) is the Poly and although construction wouldn't bother us, the volcano pool being closed would be a deal breaker for us as well. With that said, we also love the WL. It's cheaper than both the Poly and BC, but the resort/atmosphere is beautiful and it has a great pool (IMO). Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
monorailsilver
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I agree! Especially if you are planning more time at the MK.
June 1975 Golf Resort & Polynesian August 1977 DL off site April 1990 WDW off site May 1981 Polynesian July-August 1985 Polynesian July-August 1987 Polynesian/Floridian July-August 1990 Beach Club May 1994 All Star Sports/Polynesian June 1995 Wilderness Lodge/Dixie Landings February 1997 off site/Wilderness Lodge March-April 1999 Engagement Trip February 2000 Polynesian August 2002 Polynesian July 2005 Polynesian August 2008 Polynesian August 2013 Polynesian and I think there were a few more trips here & there but I have lost track.
monorailsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #9
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by catheren View Post
with the Poly under construction, do BC
Old 10-24-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
hedberg1661
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmanjan View Post
Even if there wasn't construction at the Poly I would recommend BC over the poly hands down!
Totally agree. Switch.

And as always: Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

hedberg1661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #11
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnival kid View Post
Looking for advise and opinions.

We are travelling over from Australia in June/July 2014. We have never been to WDW before and it may be a once in lifetime trip

We have 2 kids who will be 3.5 yrs and 15 months at the time.

We are doing 5 days AoA, 4 day DCL on dream and currently have 5 days at Polynesian.

The construction that will be going at the Polynesian doesn't really bother us so I was still happy with the booking.... but the pool being closed is another story.... I feel that with 2 small kids it is probably my deal breaker.

Thinking of changing over the BC garden view which will work out the same price.

What would you do?????
The pool being closed at any resort is a deal breaker for us. I would book another resort and not the Poly. The Poly is our favorite resort, but no pool= no way!

I have stayed at YC and the shared pool is awesome! It will be crowded in June/July but will be a welcome break from the heat. It's so hot in July! We always take a mid-day break/swim/nap. It's a must for our family. Even in Oct when the heat was not that bad, we take a break every day.

BC is a nice location as you can walk from the IG of EPCOT easily, especially after Illuminations. There is also a walkway to DS or a nice boat ride.

We really liked our YC stay, but the buses to DTD, AK and MK are horrible. The EPCOT buses all share a route, it would take 45 min just to make the resort rounds before we would leave for another park. We took a taxi to DTD, BB and TL during our YC stay! If you plan on going to MK a lot, I would book another monorail resort. We found the buses to be much better at the any of the monorail resorts.

May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR
heidijanesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #12
JAMIESMITH
DIS Veteran

We spent five nights at the Polynesian last fall. I loved the resort: the rooms, Wishes from the beach, being a short walk from the TTC, the luau, everything! With that being said, we only got in the pool once and it just wasn't that special. The monorail access and the view of the fireworks from the beach were worth it for us!

JAMIESMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
I agree. The pool at the Beach Club is not very easy on adults with small children. You can't see the whole pool area from any one spot, so you either need to keep the kiddies confined to one section of the pool, or be prepared to do a lot of moving around. Plus to get on the big slide you have to walk away from the pool and cross a public sidewalk.

I also agree with the poster who said the buses at the Epcot resorts are terrible. I found that to be the case too! Too many resorts on the loop, and bus rides that seemed to last forever.

I'd change from the Poly to the Contemporary. The pool there is much nicer for small kids, and then you are still on the monorail, plus within walking distance of the Magic Kingdom.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #14
Babsy
DIS Veteran

Sadly, I would switch. I probably would choose a different MK resort, because with small kiddies you will probably spend a lot of time at the MK. The BC is very nice also, however.
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #15
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

With small children, I would not choose BC because of the large pool area that is chopped up into sections, the lack of good CS, and the poor bus service. Chances are you will spend the majority of your time at MK so being on the monorail is awesome.

CR would allow you both walking and monorail to MK. The monorail can even accommodate double strollers so that napping children can STAY napping The rooms are spacious and choosing the tower will give you a balcony to sit and relax while the children sleep. They do have a nice kids splash area adjacent to the pool but the pool is not zero entry.

GF would be my top pick for your family if the price is doable. Monorail service is great. There is a boat as well to MK but strollers would have to be folded up. The rooms are laid out very well and the balcony is great for relaxing while the kids sleep. The pools are the tipping point however. The GF has two pools that are zero entry and a lovely Alice in Wonderland themed wet play area for the little ones. The GF also has the most dining choices on the resort property.

Good luck with your choice

CR--May 2006 Poly--April 2007 Poly--April 2009
YC-- April 2010 CSR--Oct 2011 GF--July 2014
Grace&Carolinesmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: