Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #16
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by setablaze
I am bringing $45 in $1's. Tips for room service, luggage handlers, guides and any service that is excellent. We to did the prepaid gratuity which I had a HUGE problem with. IMOH a gratuity is never assumed it is earned and it sure seems to me that with Disney it is assumed.

Just like at the parks when you do a sit down with more than 4 ppl an automatic gratuity is added. Considering the sit downs we did were all buffets the service was mediocre at best so Im hoping it is much better on the ships.

I think I might just exchange currency at GS before going ashore that way I will know what Im spending.
For the record, the automatic gratuity at the park restaurants doesn't apply until you have a party of SIX or more, not Four. And on one occasion, we did have the auto gratuity reduced by mgt because our service was that bad. I only requested it one time, but I talked to the manager and told them my issue w/ the auto gratuity & the quality of our service that day and they had NO PROBLEM adjusting it for us!!! The mgr did not argue/fight with me at all about reducing it to the amount I requested it be reduced to. They said they would be speaking to the server about the quality of their service. So if you feel that the tip amount is not deserved, that is always an option.
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #17
UmmGooD
DIS Veteran

Our last cruise we took 100 in 1's and 400 in 20's. We paid cash for everything off the ship and we did our excursions on our own. Since we were going to be in Mexico and they take dollars we always made sure we had exact change to the dollar because the change was in pesos. Only one place we visited returned change in dollars and that was the Hard Rock Cafe in Cabo.

We probably came home with about 40 dollar bills.

For the excursions we had a 3 month old so in PV we basically went across the street to an all inclusive and paid cash. I didn't trust my credit card being used anywhere since I have been an identity theft victim. We used the onboard credit on the ship but would tip a dollar or two for room service and also included some cash in the envelopes in addition to the tips we paid from our stateroom account.
Register to remove

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: