Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #361
Thumper_Man
DDC 684
Do we go left or to the second start on the right, straight on til morning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkondz View Post
Want to be really depressed? Google Panama canal. Either before or during US involvement.
Those deaths were due to disease in the area and not so much from building the canal itself. Still sad to see such a high number, but at that time; you could die just being in the region and not working on the canal. The 96 men that died at Hoover Dam were from incidents from the actual construction of the dam itself.

Last edited by Thumper_Man; 10-22-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Thumper_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #362
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaviolet View Post
I forgot to say so many things about the last update. And I can't find them all but this one is exquisite. Why? It just quietly speaks. Nice memory captured.
Thanks Purple Lisa. Elle really enjoyed looking at all the different costumes.
There was an entire area devoted to costumes.
I think she would've spent more time there if she could've.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper_Man View Post
Those deaths were due to disease in the area and not so much from building the canal itself. Still sad to see such a high number, but at that time; you could die just being in the region and not working on the canal. The 96 men that died at Hoover Dam were from incidents from the actual construction of the dam itself.
That's true. But the numbers are mind-boggling aren't they?
Can you imagine the conversation that might've occurred?
"Okay. So you want a job? No problem.
Oh, and you and all your co-workers are going to die.
Just so you know.
Sign here."

All righty. I'm off to comment on Tammie's TR then I'll be right back to get to work on the next chapter.

Teenage Mutant Backseat Dancers - A Canadian Buffoon Adventure
Canadian Buffoon's Vacation - PTR/mini TR
Canadian Buffoon European Vacation
Just a silly little TR - run away!

1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu
pkondz is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #363
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

twinkle twinkle little tower

August fifth. Evening.

We had a 7pm tour booked and were supposed to be there 30 minutes before the start time.
I wanted to make sure we got there in plenty of time, so we left early.
Probably around 4:30 - 5:00.

I had excellent directions from the tour website.

So you think we got lost, right?

Nah. It was easy.

Grab the subway,
transfer at Bonne Nouvelle to the #8 towards Balard,
jump off at La Motte-Picquet - Grenelle,
walk down Rue de Pondichéry for a couple hundred yards,
make a right on Pl. Dupleix,
a left on Rue Edgar Faure...
and there you are!

See? Toldja it was easy.

We did get sidetracked on the walk, though.

We turned a corner and I spotted this. (I didn't take a picture (there are limits ya know! and I forgot.) so this is from Google Maps.)

It's a fully automatic, self cleaning bathroom.

We were early and we each wanted to try it so we all decided to take a turn.

And yes. We are easily amused.

Kay was the first one to try it.

Imagine the scene (and no, thankfully, no one was around to witness this)...

Three adults standing around a public bathroom yelling back and forth with someone inside:
"I can't figure it out!"
"Are there any buttons?"
"No!"
"Are there any signs?"
"Yes, but I can't figure them out!"
"What do they look like"
"There's a sort of wavy line thing with a circle near it and a square beside it"
(or something like that. I don't remember exactly what the signs were, except that they were supposed to be internationally recognizable. So of course they were indecipherable)

Eventually, she figured it out and emerged older, wiser and mildly traumatized.

After she exited, the bathroom cleaned itself and was ready for its next victim.

This thing flushed itself and cleaned the sink, toilet and floor after you left.

Of course we had to test it out.
We left some toilet paper on the floor just to see if it would be gone afterwards.

The bathroom proceeded to go through its cycle.
The door opened.
And the toilet paper was gone!

We all let out a cheer! Yay!!

I'm not kidding.
We really did cheer for a missing piece of toilet paper.

I can't make stuff like this up.

We arrived at our tour and we were too early.
We sat around for a while and vegged.

No one had to go to the bathroom.

Eventually, an earlier tour group, finishing up their tour, came by.
I didn't know this until later, but Ruby noticed the tour guide and
(I'm not sure why... and neither is she, really)
thought to herself, "I hope we don't get her as our guide."

People started to trickle in as we waited.
Hmmmm.... looks like a lot of people.
I presume they're doing several tours tonite, not just the one we're on.

Around 6:30 or so, someone from the tour company started to call out names and form up groups with their tour guides.

"Okay! With tour guide George are the Smith's, the Jones', the Brown's, the Lee's and the White's."

They keep calling out names until everyone's been called.
We weren't called.

What the deuce?

I walk up to the roll caller and ask if he's got us on a list?
Yes he does and then I notice a few other people still around... as well as the tour guide Ruby doesn't want.

Uh, oh.

The roll caller calls out the rest of the names, including ours, and...
Yup. We get Anna.

Anna gives us an orientation and familiarization speech and we have a few minutes to get ready to go.

Here's Elle and Kay, getting ready.

Yup. We were doing a Segway tour.
I had wanted to do this in Hawaii, but the minimum age is 12 and Kay was only 11 at the time.

There was a father/daughter pair there and supposedly she was 13... but I thought she looked more like 8 or 9.
Either way, the weight minimum is 100 lbs and she looked like she was maybe 50 lbs... soaking wet.... with a 10 lb backpack.

I found out later that they (the tour operator) were thinking of giving her a backpack loaded down with water bottles, but apparently she was able to handle the Segway without it.

Can you imagine going on a 'pleasant' tour and then being told you'd have to carry 20 lbs of water while you're doing it?

Each of our Segways had names.
Ours were:
Robocop
Segwars
R2D2
and Kay got... Do You Think I'm Segsy

We set off on our tour.
Our first stop was at the end of the Champs de Mars, which is the name of the long park that the Eiffel Tower sits on.
It was originally used for Military troup drills and marches. (Mars, Roman God of war)

In the foreground is the Wall for Peace monument.
Built in 2000, it has the word 'Peace' written on it in 32 languages.
Originally supposed to be torn down after three months, it's still standing 13 years later.

Our next stop was Les Invalides.

That's Anna in the foreground.
Ya know what?

She was absolutely terrific!
I've had a few tours over the years, and she was by far, the best guide I've ever had.
She was very well informed about the things we'd see.
She would imitate various accents... poorly, which was hilarious.
She was very friendly and nice.
What can I say? She was awesome.

At one point, she was describing how Louis XIV was instrumental in making ballet popular in France.
She got all of us to strike a silly ballet pose.

She then offered to take pictures with our cameras...
oddly enough, no one took her up on her offer.

A good example of the way she would interject humour into her history lessons was how she described the last three French Kings.

Louis XIV is famously known as the Sun King.
Louis XV was well loved by the people of France.
Louis XVI was the one married to Marie Antoinette and was beheaded.

Or as Anna referred to them, "The Sun King, the Fun King and the Done King."

Les Invalides (officially L'Hôtel National des Invalides) was built by Louis XIV (the Sun King) for old or injured soldiers.
Until then, if you served your country and were injured, you'd be reduced to a life of poverty since you couldn't work anymore.

The golden dome is not paint. It's actual gold and was re-gilded in 1989 with 28 pounds (pounds... not ounces) of gold.

Originally, the domed area was to be the King's mausoleum, but Napoleon's tomb is there now.

Les Invalides is surrounded by a moat... with large breaks in it.
It struck me as odd.
If you're going to have a moat, why put large, difficult to defend breaks in it?
Maybe the breaks were put in later?

I asked Anna about it and got a surprising answer.
Apparently the moat was built as a plague control measure.
People with the plague would come to the edge of the moat and speak with friends or family on the other side and thus not infect them.

Huh.

We continued on our tour and... I decided to enjoy the tour and not take too many pictures.

We stopped at Le Pont Alexandre III. Anna told us how it was named after the Russian Tsar who was a friend of France.
The bridge also was the site of the world's first public display of electric lights.

Across the bridge, she told us how the French were very creative with their names for things and pointed out two buildings.
The smaller one was the 'Little Palace' and the larger one was, oddly enough, the 'Large Palace'.

We then zipped down to Place de la Concorde.

We stopped here for a snack. I asked Anna if she wanted anything and at first she refused, but with a little arm twisting, she thanked me and asked for a ham and cheese crepe.
I refused her money and bought it for her.

Yes. She was that good.

I got an apple crepe.

Yes. It was that good.

Remember this?

Anna told us how it was transported from Egypt in 1832-1833.
It took over a year for it to make the journey.
It sits on a pedestal that has an IKEA installation manual printed on it.

In 1993, Paris woke up to find that the obelisk had been covered by a giant pink condom to mark World AIDS day.
The Parisian government decided to let it stay "protected" (ahem) for a week.

Apparently, once a year, Egypt sends a letter to France asking for its obelisk back.
And once a year, France ignores the request.

We zoomed over to The Louvre, and Anna pointed out how the French like their straight lines.
Only problem was that this little Arc de Triomphe was perfectly in line with the larger one... but the Louvre itself was 'off' by several feet.
Since they couldn't pick up the entire Louvre and move it (and apparently, they considered doing just that) they instead placed the statue you see in the middle.

I don't remember all the sights that we saw, but the tour was a solid three hours long.
Actually, it was longer... but I'll get to that in a bit.

We eventually wound up at the Eiffel Tower. It was about 9:45pm and the tour was over at 10pm.

Anna told us that starting at 10pm and every hour after that until 1am the Tower is lit up with a light show that was originally designed to bring in the year 2000.
It was such a hit that they decided to keep it.

She said that even though the tour ended at 10pm, if we wanted, we could stay for the 5 minute show and then make our way back.

Of course we all wanted to.

And it was really nice. We all sat around on the grass and chatted with each other, then watched the show.

Afterwards, we made our way back to the tour operator's base.
I guess we got there around 10:15pm or so.
I tipped Anna 20 Euros.

Yes. She was that good.

Boy, that sounds like a good place to end the night.
But we weren't quite done yet.

During the tour, we had opportunities to chat every now and then with our fellow...

Seggers?
Segwayers?
Idiots on wheels?

We were kinda hungry so we decided to grab a snack.
A nice couple from Santa Clara, CA that Ruby had been chatting with joined us.

Ruby had some French Onion Soup... and this time, apparently it was really good.
Kay, Elle and I had escargot.

I think it was more fun trying to hold the shells with that holder, then it was good.
(Remember the scene from Pretty Woman?)

We chatted while we munched and eventually parted company.

By the time we got back to our room, it was about 1am.

If you're interested, here's a snippet of video of the lightshow at the Eiffel Tower. Just click the picture.

Now that's a good spot to end this chapter!

1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu

Last edited by pkondz; 02-26-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #364
winkers
I was stuck in that position and ... It took 4 strapping young boys to hoist me back on my feet
Personally, I'm a popper! I love me some black heads.

The Segway tour looks like a lot of fun! I'm glad you ended up with a good guide.....they make all the difference between an endless line up of "facts" or being entertained while learning a few things.

I saw a couple of those bathrooms but didn't realize they were self cleaning! Dang! I would have been pretty entertained by that.

While we were in Europe we used the bathrooms at every restaurant or "attraction" so we didn't end up trying to locate a public one. I had been warned that they are few and far between and often cost. So at the first café in Paris I was surprised to find the bathroom there cost 1 euro.
winkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #365
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkers View Post
The Segway tour looks like a lot of fun! I'm glad you ended up with a good guide.....they make all the difference between an endless line up of "facts" or being entertained while learning a few things.
The tour was a lot of fun. Both for riding the segways and because of Anna.

I think without her, the novelty of riding would've worn off after an hour or two and it would've become lousy.

Quote:
I saw a couple of those bathrooms but didn't realize they were self cleaning! Dang! I would have been pretty entertained by that.
Ya missed out on a Paris highlight, Chérie!

Quote:
While we were in Europe we used the bathrooms at every restaurant or "attraction" so we didn't end up trying to locate a public one. I had been warned that they are few and far between and often cost. So at the first café in Paris I was surprised to find the bathroom there cost 1 euro.
There sat Winkers broken hearted.
Paid a euro,
Darn that churro!

Old 10-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #366
PrincessCaitlin
DIS Veteran

Great update!

So glad you had a good tour guide! Sounds like the tour was a lot of fun!

I am so jealous you tried escargot! I had been looking forward to trying it at Disney but it comes in bread not the shell

The Hot Fudge Terrorists and the Curse of the Drunken Punkin

How Much was It?!?!?!?! The tale of our best trip ever!!!!

*The opinions and comments in the above post do not reflect the views, opinions, policies, or procedures of the Walt Disney Company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates,
including but not limited to the Walt Disney World Resort and all other included areas.*
PrincessCaitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #367
Backstage_Gal
Let me rephrase the dog stew remark
I broke more than I used

Location: On my couch with my laptop and a glass of wine in Florida

Ponzi, I must say I am very disappointed you didn't give an interior view of those bathrooms!!

Even more stuff I missed in 1970 I didn't know existed! Although I don't think they had Segways back then.

I remember New Years Eve 2000. I spent the day at work waiting for the power to and standing by to fill out manual timecards if necessary. During the day, we watched all the displays on the TV in the conference room as the New Year rolled across the globe.

Another great update, thanks!
Old 10-24-2013, 12:13 AM   #368
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Love the update! I'm glad the tour turned out to be so fun, and that your tour guide was a hit!

Beautiful pics of the Eiffel Tower. I didn't know about the light show - thanks for sharing it - I was thinking it would be so fun to have a table at a café nearby and catch the lights.
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #369
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessCaitlin View Post
Great update!

So glad you had a good tour guide! Sounds like the tour was a lot of fun!

I am so jealous you tried escargot! I had been looking forward to trying it at Disney but it comes in bread not the shell
Good? Nope, she was great!

While the escargot in Paris was good, our favorite is still The Keg Restaurant's escargot. Served in melted garlic herb butter under a mushroom cap.

Ruby and I have to have it whenever we go.
If you want some, you'll have to drive over to Dallas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstage_Gal View Post
Ponzi, I must say I am very disappointed you didn't give an interior view of those bathrooms!!
'cause that's what everybody wants.
Pictures of bathrooms!

Quote:
Even more stuff I missed in 1970 I didn't know existed! Although I don't think they had Segways back then.
Or self cleaning automatic washrooms...

Quote:
I remember New Years Eve 2000. I spent the day at work waiting for the power to and standing by to fill out manual timecards if necessary. During the day, we watched all the displays on the TV in the conference room as the New Year rolled across the globe.
I remember it too. Everyone was convinced that every computer in the world would blow up...

... and nothing happened.

Quote:
Another great update, thanks!
Thanks, Marita!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Love the update! I'm glad the tour turned out to be so fun, and that your tour guide was a hit!
It was a blast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Beautiful pics of the Eiffel Tower. I didn't know about the light show - thanks for sharing it - I was thinking it would be so fun to have a table at a café nearby and catch the lights.
The tower at night is really nice. Much nicer then during the day.
While the café idea is nice, relaxing on the lawn was very Parisian too.

But dining under the stars with the Tower twinkling away would be pretty nice.
We'd just have to get rid of the rugrats!

Old 10-24-2013, 03:22 PM   #370
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Okay! I just had time to respond to comments.
We're heading down to Minneapolis Friday morning for the weekend and I'm only bringing my ipod... if I even bring that!

So I probably won't be posting here for a couple of days.
(I can't post in bold or color or multiquote easily, so...)

Hey Nebo, wanna drive 7 hours up to meet us?
It's halfway, ya know.

Seems fair.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #371
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

The Segway tour looked great...glad Anna ended up being a great tour guide!

Jill in CO
Old 10-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #372
Thumper_Man
DDC 684
Do we go left or to the second start on the right, straight on til morning?

I have a little time to waste at work today. Well I actually have a lot of time to waste at work today. Let’s see what I can do, I mean, let’s see how I can comment on this chapter.

Quote:
twinkle twinkle little tower
How you sparkle with some power.
Lighting up the sky at night
With thousands of twinkling lights
Twinkle, twinkle little tower
My how you sparkle every hour.

Quote:
August fifth. Evening.
You sure it wasn’t twilight or dusk? Just checking.

Quote:
We had a 7pm tour booked and were supposed to be there 30 minutes before the start time.
I wanted to make sure we got there in plenty of time, so we left early.
Probably around 4:30 - 5:00.
Up and at ‘em troops. To the tour on the double. Hup, two, three four.

Quote:
I had excellent directions from the tour website.

So you think we got lost, right?
Not if you had excellent directions

Quote:
Nah. It was easy.
See, told ya.

Quote:
Grab the subway,
Now why would you grab the subway? Isn’t it easier to just wait til it stops and then get on? Besides, if it’s going too fast and it don’t stop like you think it’s going to; then you reach out and try to grab it, well….chances are you may become a left handed or right handed person depending on which arm you tried to grab it with.

Quote:
transfer at Bonne Nouvelle to the #8 towards Balard,
jump off at La Motte-Picquet - Grenelle,
We’ve been through this, it would be easier to just step…. Oh never mind. Not that it what matter what I say, you’ll just go and do the opposite. Look at that tower over there. Don’t jump off it.

walk down Rue de Pondichéry for a couple hundred yards,
make a right on Pl. Dupleix,
a left on Rue Edgar Faure...
and there you are!

See? Toldja it was easy.
I’ll take your word for it. Plus I looked at Google Maps. I had to verify your information.

Quote:
We did get sidetracked on the walk, though.
More mime’s? Sketch artists?

Quote:
We turned a corner and I spotted this. (I didn't take a picture (there are limits ya know! and I forgot.) so this is from Google Maps.)

It's a fully automatic, self cleaning bathroom.
Of course I had to Google this. I didn’t see any baths in this place though. Was there some other type of secret compartment with the bath we don’t know about?

Quote:
We were early and we each wanted to try it so we all decided to take a turn.
"Who needs the restroom? Ponzi, I already know you. I don’t care if you don’t need to go now, go anyways. Later on you'll needing to go and we may not have time to stop on the tour."

(Stomps foot) "Gee Ruby, do I have to?"

Quote:
Kay was the first one to try it.
Oh sure. Send in the youngest one. That way if she don’t come back out, at least you still have one daughter left. Way to step up to the plate there.

Quote:
Imagine the scene (and no, thankfully, no one was around to witness this)...
That you noticed anyways. Wonder what the astronauts in the International Space Station were saying as they watched you? John, come and check this out on the monitor.

Quote:
except that they were supposed to be internationally recognizable. So of course they were indecipherable
Naturally.

Quote:
Eventually, she figured it out and emerged older, wiser and mildly traumatized.
At least she came back out. I hope you found a good therapist for her. Poor child.

Quote:
After she exited, the bathroom cleaned itself and was ready for its next victim.
Time to send in the next child? “Now that we know its safe, Elle you’re next.”

Quote:
This thing flushed itself and cleaned the sink, toilet and floor after you left.
I need one of these at home.

Quote:
Of course we had to test it out.
We left some toilet paper on the floor just to see if it would be gone afterwards.
Toilet paper experiment commencing in 3, 2, 1.

Quote:
The bathroom proceeded to go through its cycle.
The door opened.
And the toilet paper was gone!

We all let out a cheer! Yay!!
And I bet people around you laughed and pointed at you. “Must be Americans.” Little did they know you were actually Canadian’s.

Quote:
I'm not kidding.
We really did cheer for a missing piece of toilet paper.
I probably would’ve cheered more had I got to see it. Can you be inside while it goes through the cleaning cycle?

Quote:
I can't make stuff like this up.
Well I’m sure you could, but again; since I Googled it, I totally believe you.

Quote:
No one had to go to the bathroom.
After playing in the restroom for an hour or so, I would hope not.

Quote:
People started to trickle in as we waited.
Trickled? You mean they didn’t sashay in like you did? Next time, you need to teach them.

Quote:
Around 6:30 or so, someone from the tour company started to call out names and form up groups with their tour guides.

"Okay! With tour guide George are the Smith's, the Jones', the Brown's, the Lee's and the White's."

They keep calling out names until everyone's been called.
We weren't called.
Are you sure you were in the right place? Maybe you were supposed to turn left at Albuquerque instead of right.

Quote:
I walk up to the roll caller and ask if he's got us on a list?
What happened to sashaying?

Quote:
Yes he does and then I notice a few other people still around... as well as the tour guide Ruby doesn't want.

Uh, oh.

The roll caller calls out the rest of the names, including ours, and...
Yup. We get Anna.
Ruby jinxed it for y’all.

Quote:
Here's Elle and Kay, getting ready.

Is it me, or does anyone else think they don’t look too enthusiastic to be taking this tour?

Quote:
Yup. We were doing a Segway tour.
Nice! Always want to learn how to ride one of those.

Quote:
I had wanted to do this in Hawaii, but the minimum age is 12 and Kay was only 11 at the time.
Bet you could’ve gotten away with saying she was 12.

Quote:
Can you imagine going on a 'pleasant' tour and then being told you'd have to carry 20 lbs of water while you're doing it?
Look at the bright side. At least they have water in case they get lost and stranded on a deserted island. Ok. I know there’s no islands around, but at least they can stay hydrated.

Quote:
We set off on our tour.
Our first stop was at the end of the Champs de Mars, which is the name of the long park that the Eiffel Tower sits on.
Sits? Or stands? I don’t think the Eiffel Tower ever gets a break to sit down and chillax for a bit.

Quote:
It was originally used for Military troup drills and marches. (Mars, Roman God of war)
What’s a Roman god doing in a French city? Wasn’t welcome in Rome anymore?

Quote:

In the foreground is the Wall for Peace monument.
Built in 2000, it has the word 'Peace' written on it in 32 languages.
Originally supposed to be torn down after three months, it's still standing 13 years later.
That’s pretty cool.

Quote:
Ya know what?
I do know what. He plays 2nd base. Great baseball player.

Quote:
She was absolutely terrific!
I've had a few tours over the years, and she was by far, the best guide I've ever had.
Better than the guide in Hawaii that you said was the best?

Quote:
She was very well informed about the things we'd see.
You’re paying her money. I would hope she would be.

Quote:
She would imitate various accents... poorly, which was hilarious.
She was very friendly and nice.
What can I say? She was awesome.
That’s one thing I guess you could say.

Quote:
A good example of the way she would interject humour into her history lessons was how she described the last three French Kings.

Louis XIV is famously known as the Sun King.
Louis XV was well loved by the people of France.
Louis XVI was the one married to Marie Antoinette and was beheaded.

Or as Anna referred to them, "The Sun King, the Fun King and the Done King."

Quote:
Les Invalides (officially L'Hôtel National des Invalides) was built by Louis XIV (the Sun King) for old or injured soldiers.
Until then, if you served your country and were injured, you'd be reduced to a life of poverty since you couldn't work anymore.
So basically, if the war didn’t kill you, the lack of food would.

Quote:
Originally, the domed area was to be the King's mausoleum, but Napoleon's tomb is there now.
Why does a short man need such a big dome?

Quote:
Les Invalides is surrounded by a moat... with large breaks in it.
It struck me as odd.
If you're going to have a moat, why put large, difficult to defend breaks in it?
Maybe the breaks were put in later?
Maybe someone was supposed to fill it with water and alligators. I bet he when he set out to capture the alligators, he never made it back.

Quote:
I asked Anna about it and got a surprising answer.
Apparently the moat was built as a plague control measure.
People with the plague would come to the edge of the moat and speak with friends or family on the other side and thus not infect them.
I liked my explanation better.

Quote:
We continued on our tour and... I decided to enjoy the tour and not take too many pictures.
Being a little selfish aren’t we? You show us all these great pictures then you decide to actually enjoy the tour. We’ll allow it this one time only.

Quote:
The bridge also was the site of the world's first public display of electric lights.
I wonder if Nebo remembers when lights were first invented?

Quote:
We stopped here for a snack. I asked Anna if she wanted anything and at first she refused, but with a little arm twisting, she thanked me and asked for a ham and cheese crepe.
Remind me not to refuse letting you buy me a snack if we ever meet. I personally need my arms and don’t want them twisted off.

Quote:
I refused her money and bought it for her.

Yes. She was that good.
And Ruby was ok with this?

Quote:
I got an apple crepe.
Fine. You got an apple. No need for name calling.

Quote:
Remember this?

Was I supposed to?

Quote:
In 1993, Paris woke up to find that the obelisk had been covered by a giant pink condom to mark World AIDS day.
The Parisian government decided to let it stay "protected" (ahem) for a week.
Cricket

Quote:
I don't remember all the sights that we saw,
You would’ve if you had been taking pictures.

Quote:
but the tour was a solid three hours long.
Good thing this tour was on land. You know what happened to the millionaire and his wife, the movie star, the professor and farm gal when they took a 3-hour tour in the ocean?

Quote:
We eventually wound up at the Eiffel Tower. It was about 9:45pm and the tour was over at 10pm.
Let me get this right. Tour started at 7 and you wound up at the Eiffel Tower at 9:45. This was to be a 3-hour tour. By my calculations, you got cheated out of 15 minutes.

Quote:
Nice pic!

Quote:
Anna told us that starting at 10pm and every hour after that until 1am the Tower is lit up with a light show that was originally designed to bring in the year 2000.
It was such a hit that they decided to keep it.

She said that even though the tour ended at 10pm, if we wanted, we could stay for the 5 minute show and then make our way back.
Well at least you got your 15 minutes back and then some.

Quote:
Afterwards, we made our way back to the tour operator's base.
I guess we got there around 10:15pm or so.
I tipped Anna 20 Euros.
Was she that good? I thought you mentioned it already but wasn’t sure.

Quote:
Yes. She was that good.
Never mind. I guess she was.

Quote:
Boy, that sounds like a good place to end the night.
Actually, back at the hotel in bed sounds like a good place to end the night. But to each their own I guess.

Quote:
I think it was more fun trying to hold the shells with that holder, then it was good.
(Remember the scene from Pretty Woman?)
You meant this one? Pretty Woman.

Quote:
By the time we got back to our room, it was about 1am.
You party animals.

Quote:
Now that's a good spot to end this chapter!
Thanks for another wonderful chapter.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #373
lisaviolet
Happy DVC Owner

Quote:

We were kinda hungry so we decided to grab a snack.
A nice couple from Santa Clara, CA that Ruby had been chatting with joined us.

Ruby had some French Onion Soup... and this time, apparently it was really good.
Kay, Elle and I had escargot.

I will return with more to say on this latest update but just wanted to say HOW LOVELY - gorgeous shot - on the first. And JEALOUS on the second. Wait, you can add JEALOUS on both.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #374
queenbetsey
Mouseketeer

Great report Ponzi! Thanks for all the great pics

Hey Hey we're the Whiteheads, a pre trip report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3209767

You were born an origional, why die a copy?\

[link=http://distickers.com/ticker/][img noborder]http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers/klh12jpwhe9t3guf.png[/img][/link]
queenbetsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #375
orangecats2
All I want is Disney, Crocs and Vera Bradley

And why were you in Minneapolis, young man?

me DH and our many children
9/12 - CSR 4th Anniversary 9/09 - ASMo 1st Anniversary, 9/08 - ASSp Honeymoon
96, 87, 86, 83, 80, 79 - all offsite
Vegas: 95-Hacienda, 00-Excalibur, 01-Monte Carlo, 02-Luxor, 05-TI, 07-Tropicana, 10-NY NY
orangecats2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: