Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #16
maddysmom
Earning My Ears

I just got off a 3 day Dream - concierge level cruise and it was fantastic. This was our second cruise on the Dream. Our serving staff was not wonderful but it did not impact the enjoyment of our trip. The concierge team, on the other hand, did impact our enjoyment of our trip - they were great!! We've been back 3 days and I miss the team! They were just so friendly and outgoing and made each person feel important and special. Is 3 days short? Yes, but that's all we could do with work and school. On the first cruise, we tried to do an activity at every open time slot and left feeling exhausted. This time, we relaxed and didn't try to squeeze it all in. Our next one is 7 days in June 2014 - we will be trying the fantasy for the first time. Not because we didn't enjoy the dream, we just wanted a longer cruise and a different itinerary. Don't let a few negative opinions ruin your excitement.
maddysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #17
NickyKnack
DIS Veteran

I love getting to know and chatting with servers but I don't think a short time limit will be an issue for us, as we tend to do that every time we go out and we don't have the same server (With a couple of exceptions) every time we go to even the same restaurant.

If I can do it in one meal - I think I can manage four nights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLoveDisneyAlways View Post
We loved our very first and only cruise aboard the dream. So much were going back in January. I read the link you posted that person complained about the staff not getting to know them and tell them about themselves, frankly I would find that annoying. Everyone has a different expectation out of a holiday. We enjoyed the food. I don't think service / food will dramatically change between the dream and the magic they are both Disney managed.
NickyKnack is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #18
NickyKnack
DIS Veteran

Me too, initally that was my only disappointment when I realized that car problems meant we had to cancel one of our b2b cruises. We canceled the Magic in favor of the dream and I think I was a little twitchy about it even before I read the other thread.

The idea of 4 days on the Magic is amazing to me because I love the Villain shows and hate 7 day cruises. Maybe someday when I'm not a stay at home housewife with nothing to do all day but clean house and play on the computer 7 days of relaxation will sound great to me. Right now, because of my staid life I like my vacations to be go go go!

I think a lot of the flack the Villains get comes from parents who have kids who get scared. (Which I can understand) but we're childless so, that's not an issue for us and I've always been a little Villian Mad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickcat View Post
I definitely would not switch. Our first cruise was a 3 night cruise and I did not read the disboards at all. I did not have in my mind what should and should not happen or what we need to do or what others did not like. I actually think that helped a lot! We all loved it and had a great time. We've been on 4 others with Disney since! Go and just have fun. Don't worry about what others liked and did not like. Who knows, you may actually like something others said was terrible (people always are saying how much they don't like Villians- that was my dh favorite show)
Old 10-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #19
tweis
DIS Veteran

We have loved both of our cruises on the Dream. We did a 5 night as a family last year and this year DH and I took a 3 night for our anniversary. I didn't go into either of them thinking everything was going to go perfect and be the best vacations ever but they ended up being our favorite trips to date. My kids didn't like the kids club and I didn't like our two sea days but that didn't ruin our trips and it didn't make me dislike the Dream. I hear so many complaints about the servers but we have had wonderful friendly servers both times. I would not let someone else's disappointment sway me from sailing the Dream but don't go in with unrealistic expectations either. Everything is not going to be perfect but it can be a very magical trip.
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #20
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyKnack View Post
Me too, initally that was my only disappointment when I realized that car problems meant we had to cancel one of our b2b cruises. We canceled the Magic in favor of the dream and I think I was a little twitchy about it even before I read the other thread.

The idea of 4 days on the Magic is amazing to me because I love the Villain shows and hate 7 day cruises. Maybe someday when I'm not a stay at home housewife with nothing to do all day but clean house and play on the computer 7 days of relaxation will sound great to me. Right now, because of my staid life I like my vacations to be go go go!

I think a lot of the flack the Villains get comes from parents who have kids who get scared. (Which I can understand) but we're childless so, that's not an issue for us and I've always been a little Villian Mad.
Villains Tonight on the Dream is my favorite show.
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #21
scrapbookmomma74
We love DCL!!!

Just remember, for every person who writes to complain, there are probably hundreds who haven't written anything because they liked it. People are much faster to write up a bad review.
That being said, we've been on 8 Disney Cruises, including 3 on the Dream.
Is it our favorite ship? No. Did we have a lovely cruise? YES!
One of the things I don't like are the short itineraries, that would apply to any of the ships, I want to be onboard longer than 4 nights.
The Dream is a gorgeous ship, and its a Disney Cruise, so where is the wrong there?
If I had a choice, I would choose a LONGER cruise, not just a different ship, every time. But if you don't have a choice, and the Dream works for you, then absolutely keep it and have a blast!
Be sure to do the Aquaduck at night (less lines and a TOTALLY different experience!), and also the MidShip Detective Agency at least once. (You CAN have 2 badges and work on both mysteries at the same time.)
A lifetime of memories at the "World"! 1974, 1975, 1983, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, DCL Magic 2010, DCL Magic 2011, DCL Dream 2011, DCL Magic 2012, DCL Fantasy 2012, DCL Dream 2012, DVC Member Cruise Dream 2013, DL Resort Summer 2013, DCL Fantasy 2013, DCL Magic 2014
[/url][url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
scrapbookmomma74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #22
NickyKnack
DIS Veteran

I just wanted to thank all of you for helping me feel so much better. =)
I'm not the type to expect Mickey and Minnie to sit down at my table and dine with me unless I paid extra for it.

I found the food on the Magic and the Wonder to both be acceptable, and Palo to be amazing... but I wasn't disappointed because the MDRs didn't "live up to" Palo either.
I have a good idea what goes into making food on the scale they must for the MDR and given the situation I find they do extremely well. So as long as the food on the Magic, Wonder and Dream are comparable I'll be fine.
I Did hear that we can ask for specific types of servers since we're concierge - so I think I will request someone who speaks English as a first language... just because they only issues we've ever had came down to language barriers since I suck at understanding strong accents.
Oh, and I expect the servers to be efficient at both service and general conversation, but I don't expect to walk away with a new best friend. I'm a people person, I like to have conversations with everyone.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #23
jahber
DIS Veteran

Don't let anyone take away your excitement! We just booked our 3rd Dream cruise (last minute) after sailing on the Fantasy and the Wonder. We've loved all the ships, but the Dream is "home" because it was our first ship. We love the Dream and even after 4 cruises, our kids still yelled with excitement when we announced this one
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #24
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So many people are talking about how bad the Dream is
And so many people are saying the opposite. And have been since you were beginning the planning of your cruise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkie8 View Post
So....I would have gone to head server after first MDR dinner to speak about slow, inattentative service. And enjoyed all there is to enjoy on rest of cruise. Life is short.
Of course, once wonders how they are supposed to both let guests get to know their life stories AND be quick and efficient at getting food out? Seems to me you should choose one to hope for.

Quote:
I Did hear that we can ask for specific types of servers since we're concierge - so I think I will request someone who speaks English as a first language... just because they only issues we've ever had came down to language barriers since I suck at understanding strong accents.
OK well now I have to say...ooh good luck with that one. I'm not sure that they tend to be from places that have English as a first language. However they try hard to make sure the servers can communicate. Our FAVE CM, from our first DCL cruise, was our assistant server. He had tried to be a server once, but his English wasn't good enough so he bumped back down. They seem to be pretty good at that.

I think with concierge the choice is more in the place in the dining room, not necessarily the language the server speaks. I could be wrong, of course!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #25
dandjfla
DCL addict!

Our first cruise was last March and we had an amazing 3 night cruise on the Dream! So much so that we are going again in 9 days. Don't cancel it! Our servers Alex and Richard were great!

3/14/13 Disney Dream
10/31/13 Disney Dream on Halloween!
2/3/14 Disney Magic
10/1/14 Disney Wonder Double Dip

10/24/15 Disney Fantasy Grand Slam!
dandjfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #26
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Reading this thread: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3189430 has got me a little freaked out.

So many people are talking about how bad the Dream is... should I cancel my trip in April and switch over to the Magic? We're staying concierge if that makes a difference. And it is a 4 day instead of a 3 day, and of personal note we enjoyed our last 4 day more than our 7 day.
So if you think the Dream is going to SUCK, what makes you think the Magic is not going to SUCK or SUCK less?

Mike
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #27
Postal68
DIS Veteran

We took our first Disney Cruise(and our first cruise ever) on the Dream in April of 2012. We loved it so much we went back to the Dream this past October. It's wonderful, don't have any hesitations. Especially if it is your first cruise, a 4 day is the perfect length to see if you like it. From all I have heard a 3 day is too rushed, and we found the 4 day a perfect length for us.

We want to try the one of the classic ships, but we really don't want to do a cruise longer than 4 Nights, but we might try a 7 nighter in 2015. We already booked a dummy date so we have some wiggle room.
Postal68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #28
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

Everyone has different expectations. The things mentioned in that post wouldn't have ruined my cruise. I sure wouldn't expect a three night cruise to be a "trip of a lifetime" either.
Ask yourself, are the things the OP in that thread mentioned very important to you? Are you looking to make friends with servers and have the most amazing meals you've ever had? If so, maybe a longer cruise on a smaller ship my be more your speed. maybe even a *gasp* different cruise line?
Old 10-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #29
STLEdge
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Villains Tonight on the Dream is my favorite show

I'll echo the other posters - we just got back from our second cruise on the Dream a few weeks ago. It's all what you put into it. The couple at the table next to us at dinner spent the last evening complaining to the server about everything that went wrong for them on the cruise. Life is too short to spend your vacation complaining. It's a Disney cruise. You are going to have a great time. Don't try to overanalyze it and let the vacation come to you - you won't be able to do everything in 3 nights; so enjoy what you can and book another cruise onboard to do the things you miss on this one.

We felt like 3 days was way too short, but we still had a great time.
Eastern Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, November 2014
STLEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #30
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Although I get flamed on CC for being 'negative' (mainly by CCL cheerleaders and a few here too), I have had only glowing things to say about my Dream Cruise as did my friend. We are all going on Magic in May because its the new ship, new shows, better pricing, and perfect timing. Actually, I cannot ever think of a time in my life where I have ever sailed the same ship twice (on any line.) So now we have done Dream, next is Magic and my dream is Fantasy.

But if you haven't done Dream yet, I wouldn't change unless you could get major less money off. I didn't think you could change with concierge anyway?

I loved my Dream cruise! I give it a 98% grade and Castaway a 95% (only points off were tram incident.)
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: