DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 06:12 AM   #16
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,385

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
To me it's like buying a house, given the choice between identical houses would you buy the one that you can't move into until 2015, or the one you can move into now?
Actually a better analogy with be if there were identical houses side by side. With one you close now and you're done, with the other, you can't close for 2 yrs but you're pretty sure you'll save a considerable amount of money and you can either go ahead and move in or stay where you are until then.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:40 AM   #17
JustTinking
DVC Member since 2002
 
JustTinking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 234

Fair enough. To get back to OP's question, is a $10/pt reduction for stripped a good starting point? Given the wide range of prices on different properties, this would be anywhere from an 8% to 15% reduction off of asking. Many of us start by offering 10% less than asking in any case. Should we be starting with an average selling price and take $10 from there?
__________________
JustTinking

JustTinking is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #18
christianweecare
DIS Veteran
 
christianweecare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,995

I am the OP. Now that you all have me thoroughly confused me LOL!

In our situation we already have a 200 point contract that is bought and paid for. We are just doing some investigating into adding on another home resort. Trying to decide what the best option is for us since we don't know much about the resale market. Also, we can't decide if we would be better off to add on more points at our present home resort or venture out to another home resort.
__________________
christianweecare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #19
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 17,949

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianweecare View Post
I am the OP. Now that you all have me thoroughly confused me LOL!

In our situation we already have a 200 point contract that is bought and paid for. We are just doing some investigating into adding on another home resort. Trying to decide what the best option is for us since we don't know much about the resale market. Also, we can't decide if we would be better off to add on more points at our present home resort or venture out to another home resort.
Is 200 points enough to get you what you want at your home resort at 11 months?

If so, then buy the same UY, titled the same and you next favorite resort.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #20
christianweecare
DIS Veteran
 
christianweecare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,995

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Is 200 points enough to get you what you want at your home resort at 11 months?

If so, then buy the same UY, titled the same and you next favorite resort.

Bill
200 points is enough for DH & I. It's the children, grandchildren, sisters, nieces, etc. that use up our points. LOL!
__________________
christianweecare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #21
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 17,949

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianweecare View Post
200 points is enough for DH & I. It's the children, grandchildren, sisters, nieces, etc. that use up our points. LOL!
With 2 home resorts you can alternate every other year and borrow to double your points for the stay while booking at 11 months.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #22
christianweecare
DIS Veteran
 
christianweecare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,995

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
With 2 home resorts you can alternate every other year and borrow to double your points for the stay while booking at 11 months.

Bill
That's what we have in mind.
__________________
christianweecare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #23
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,645

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTinking View Post
Fair enough. To get back to OP's question, is a $10/pt reduction for stripped a good starting point? Given the wide range of prices on different properties, this would be anywhere from an 8% to 15% reduction off of asking. Many of us start by offering 10% less than asking in any case. Should we be starting with an average selling price and take $10 from there?
Are you including the dues for those points in the $10 a point? I'd just go for the owner paying the dues on all the missing points and maybe a $1 or $2 for the missing points. Otherwise, you are valuing the points at $500 a point ($10 per year of the contract) which is absurd.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #24
belias21
DIS Dad's Club Member #717
 
belias21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 270

OK, I need help understanding something here. I think it is fundamentally correct to assume that one could offer $5-$10 less pp for a stripped contract. How does that play in to the ROFR process though? Does Disney factor that in too?

Back when I bought my contract, I paid $58pp. Although we all know it's not an exact science, DVD was exercising ROFR seemingly around the $55pp range. If I had offered $53 or less because it was stripped, even though the seller may have accepted, it probably would have gotten snagged, no?
__________________
Brian




..........
belias21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #25
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 17,949

Quote:
Originally Posted by belias21 View Post
OK, I need help understanding something here. I think it is fundamentally correct to assume that one could offer $5-$10 less pp for a stripped contract. How does that play in to the ROFR process though? Does Disney factor that in too?

Back when I bought my contract, I paid $58pp. Although we all know it's not an exact science, DVD was exercising ROFR seemingly around the $55pp range. If I had offered $53 or less because it was stripped, even though the seller may have accepted, it probably would have gotten snagged, no?
Disney takes available points into consideration when they look at ROFR.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #26
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,385

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTinking View Post
Fair enough. To get back to OP's question, is a $10/pt reduction for stripped a good starting point? Given the wide range of prices on different properties, this would be anywhere from an 8% to 15% reduction off of asking. Many of us start by offering 10% less than asking in any case. Should we be starting with an average selling price and take $10 from there?
I use $5 a point for dues and an additional $5 pp as rental return as a round number. I do this partly to make it simple and partly because one can often rent out points for a resort you don't own at. Also, often the home resort window doesn't come into play for points gained in a purchase that one plans to rent out. Certainly there's some variation on return from one resort to another, one unit type/view/season to another. The dues will vary a little as well. If one wants to further micromanage this issue, it can be done relatively easily. It's also possible to get more than $10 a point in many situation, upwards of $13 a point total (including dues) is sometimes workable. I'm comfortable with the $10 a point and feel it's a good representation for points not overly restricted. I'd use a much lower number of banked and/or very restricted points. I wouldn't pay any dues on them and would value them at much less than other points, how much less would depend on specifics.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.