Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #271
closetmickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alagille View Post
I was reading about the Randomwinds sailing and snorkeling trips in the first few pages of this thread. Goes out of St. Maarten. I don't know where the cruise ship docks on the island- is it nearby Simpson Bay? Does it take long to get there once off the boat? Has anyone done this with a ds7 and ds4.5? I can't book the traditional excursions for sailing and snorkeling b/c ds4 isn't yet 5. He loves the water and i'm sure he would enjoy. Are there other kids on the 20 person sailboat?
I just booked this for 5- Me, DH, DD12, DD12, and DD9. Am interested to hear too!! Anyone?

4/14- 7nt Eastern on the FANTASY! 11/13- Weekend at DLR and stay at Disneyland Hotel
8/13- CR at WDW/ 4nt Cruise on DREAM! 6/12- Poly/POR Split Stay at WDW
8/11- DLR and stay at Grand Californian 1/11- 2 night Cruise to Nowhere on WONDER
10/10- DLR/ Mickey's Halloween Party and stay at Paradise Pier
2/10- WDW and a Week stay at the AKL 2/10- 4 Night Bahamas Cruise on DCL WONDER
6/09- DLR- Stay at Paradise Pier 4/09- DLR/ Club 33- Stay at Disneyland Hotel
10/08- Halloween Party at DCA 3/08- 3 Night Bahamas Cruise on DCL WONDER
2/08- WDW and stay at The Beach Club 10/07- Halloween Party at DCA and stay at GCH
Other trips to DLR- too many to count since 1969
closetmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #272
Alexle2007
Mouseketeer

We were just on the 10/5 Eastern Caribbean cruise. In St. Martin, we did the DCL snorkeling excursion. It was pretty short in length but the beach a we went to was nice without hawkers and we got to watch a jumbo jet circle around once before he decided to land. Came back to ship, had lunch and dropped our DS6 at kids club (his request) and DH and I grabbed the local boat to downtown for shopping. We didn't get anything. Prices were much higher than our local outlets for same stuff. Decided we didn't really care for St. Martin. Our dinner mates when to Orient Beach and were not impressed. Too many hawkers. For St. Thomas, we took the DCL excursion to St. John Trunk Bay. That was awesome! Would definitely go there again. We ran into a few people from the Carnival Dream there. Our boat guide pointed out where Joe Biden, Madonna and Michael Jordan's homes are on St. Thomas.
Alexle2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #273
MissDaisyofTexas
DIS Veteran

Has anyone done Coral World on your own by taking a cab there? Ideally, we'd like to go to Coral World, do the semi-submarine, spend a few hours there, maybe hit the beach across the street and also see some scenery from up high. Can we just ask a cab driver to take us by a lookout point on the way home? The DCL excursions for Coral World don't incorporate both the sub and the scenic drive to the mountain top.

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #274
MAJPLO
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDaisyofTexas View Post
Has anyone done Coral World on your own by taking a cab there? Ideally, we'd like to go to Coral World, do the semi-submarine, spend a few hours there, maybe hit the beach across the street and also see some scenery from up high. Can we just ask a cab driver to take us by a lookout point on the way home? The DCL excursions for Coral World don't incorporate both the sub and the scenic drive to the mountain top.

Thanks!
I'm pretty sure you can do all this by cab. But have you checked out Godfrey's Tours? He was very reasonable and flexible. Our group went to a different beach but a couple on the tour bus with us went to coral world and Coki beach. The tour also went to mountain top and a couple other places. Godfrey will do a custom tour for you if you don't find what you are looking for on his pre planned excursions.

Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2011
Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean May 2013
Sapphire Princess California Coastal January 2014
MAJPLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #275
gometros
WDWWDS Chief Weapons Inspector and Cruise Captain
Solemnly swears always to leave the tagging to the experts!! :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexle2007
We were just on the 10/5 Eastern Caribbean cruise. In St. Martin, we did the DCL snorkeling excursion. It was pretty short in length but the beach a we went to was nice without hawkers and we got to watch a jumbo jet circle around once before he decided to land. Came back to ship, had lunch and dropped our DS6 at kids club (his request) and DH and I grabbed the local boat to downtown for shopping. We didn't get anything. Prices were much higher than our local outlets for same stuff. Decided we didn't really care for St. Martin. Our dinner mates when to Orient Beach and were not impressed. Too many hawkers. For St. Thomas, we took the DCL excursion to St. John Trunk Bay. That was awesome! Would definitely go there again. We ran into a few people from the Carnival Dream there. Our boat guide pointed out where Joe Biden, Madonna and Michael Jordan's homes are on St. Thomas.
Don't let the hawkers dissuade you from going to Orient Beach. All you have to do is say no, and they leave you alone. It's still one of the most beautiful beaches.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DISBoards

gometros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #276
cscream13
Earning My Ears

St. Thomas attractions

I read recently on other threads that the Skyride and/or the 99 Steps/Blackbeard's Castle have been closed recently. Does anyone know if either of these are open now or when they are reopening?

We are cruising on the November 16, 2013 Fantasy and are looking for easy things to do with an infant. We are doing the Afternoon Beach Bash on St. Maartan, so are looking something that is not a trip to the beach.

DH and I are seasoned cruisers, but this is the first cruise with our son. We're both prepared to carry him around in a Baby Bjorn and do without a stroller.
cscream13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #277
3Adevas
Mouseketeer

Interested in hearing advice on doing St Marteen and St Thomas (but going over to St John from there on our own) with DS 4....
We did Western Caribbean last Dec when he was 3, brought lt wt stroller along which we used in Cozumel around port and Costa Maya at the ruins. Debating bringing the stroller along on the Eastern Fantasy next month but need to know about how much walking is involved that a 4 year old would it would not need brief rides in his stroller?
Old 10-26-2013, 01:38 AM   #278
tsaucedo
Earning My Ears

Awesome info. Thanks!
tsaucedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #279
ctyankee
Earning My Ears

Has anyone ever done the Kayak and Snorkeling Adventure on St. Maarten? We are a group of 5 who have kayaked before.
Thanks
ctyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #280
ilovepooh
I keep rubbing my head hoping an answer will come into it

Didn't need the stroller on this cruise for my 3 year old! There wasn't much walking from the port to the beach excursion shuttles. We did French Riveria beach excursion but didn't like how many locals kept asking us to buy stuff. It was constant the whole time we were there. Next we did Magen's Bay beach excursion and the surf was so rough it kept knocking my kids (3 and 8 ) over and pulling them out. They were at the edge and it was that strong! These places are beautiful but as rough as the surf was with little to no beach at Magen's Bay I wouldn't recommend it with little ones. It was high tide so maybe it's not always like that all of the time.

ilovepooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #281
pjpoppins
Mouseketeer

Where would one recommend the best place to snorkel between St. Thomas/St. John's, St. Maartin, and Castaway Cay? My DD8 (at time of sailing) has really mastered snorkeling and is a huge animal lover. She has just gotten into the stage where she's not afraid of "yucky" animals and likes to catch frogs, pet stingrays, etc. I'd really like to tour the islands some, maybe we could find a blend of both. But if CC has adequate snorkeling with plenty of fish to see then I would just do it there as I think we will just be relaxing at CC. Also, my DW and DM will be with us and would have no interest so I'd like to find something where they could lounge in the sun either on the beach or on a boat. Thanks!

pjpoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #282
I❤MICKEY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepooh View Post
Didn't need the stroller on this cruise for my 3 year old! There wasn't much walking from the port to the beach excursion shuttles. We did French Riveria beach excursion but didn't like how many locals kept asking us to buy stuff. It was constant the whole time we were there. Next we did Magen's Bay beach excursion and the surf was so rough it kept knocking my kids (3 and 8 ) over and pulling them out. They were at the edge and it was that strong! These places are beautiful but as rough as the surf was with little to no beach at Magen's Bay I wouldn't recommend it with little ones. It was high tide so maybe it's not always like that all of the time.
So strange. That was not our experience at all. Megan Bay Beach on St. Thomas was our favorite beach (October 2013). The water was so warm and calm that even when I swam out to a point where I couldn't stand I could still see the bottom. My boys are 3 and 5. They swam without a problem. There were no waves whatsoever. There were infants wading in the water with their parents. I found a spot under a tree near the edge of the grass to put our towels and bag. I would say there was at least 25-30 feet of beach between me and the water. Oh, and this was the only beach we visited that had life guards. Loved this beach.

On a side note I would not book this excursion through Disney. We did it on our own for way less. It was $16 pp round trip for the taxi and $4 pp (over 13 only) to enter the beach. Super easy to get the taxi and it took about 20 minutes to get to the beach. We got there about 10 AM and stayed until about 2 PM.

Last edited by I❤MICKEY; 11-17-2013 at 09:37 PM.
I❤MICKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:20 AM   #283
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

We went to Magens Bay in March and it was rough, but regardless, I was not a fan. Once you've gone to St John, other beaches don't compare IMHO.

No more St Thomas beaches for us. St Thomas is just a stop on the way to St John

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 3n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #284
ilovepooh
I keep rubbing my head hoping an answer will come into it

yep no beach to the point that the water came up to the chairs each time and there was a very rough surf November 2-9, 2013 cruise. I have some pics I will post as soon as I can get it together lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by I❤MICKEY View Post
So strange. That was not our experience at all. Megan Bay Beach on St. Thomas was our favorite beach (October 2013). The water was so warm and calm that even when I swam out to a point where I couldn't stand I could still see the bottom. My boys are 3 and 5. They swam without a problem. There were no waves whatsoever. There were infants wading in the water with their parents. I found a spot under a tree near the edge of the grass to put our towels and bag. I would say there was at least 25-30 feet of beach between me and the water. Oh, and this was the only beach we visited that had life guards. Loved this beach.

On a side note I would not book this excursion through Disney. We did it on our own for way less. It was $16 pp round trip for the taxi and $4 pp (over 13 only) to enter the beach. Super easy to get the taxi and it took about 20 minutes to get to the beach. We got there about 10 AM and stayed until about 2 PM.

ilovepooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #285
hgon76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpoppins View Post
Where would one recommend the best place to snorkel between St. Thomas/St. John's, St. Maartin, and Castaway Cay? My DD8 (at time of sailing) has really mastered snorkeling and is a huge animal lover. She has just gotten into the stage where she's not afraid of "yucky" animals and likes to catch frogs, pet stingrays, etc. I'd really like to tour the islands some, maybe we could find a blend of both. But if CC has adequate snorkeling with plenty of fish to see then I would just do it there as I think we will just be relaxing at CC. Also, my DW and DM will be with us and would have no interest so I'd like to find something where they could lounge in the sun either on the beach or on a boat. Thanks!
St John is a slice of heaven on earth! Breathtakingly beautiful. We did the Trunk Bay Snorkel. I learned I'm not equipped for snorkeling (got a little claustrophobic) but DH, DS & rest of our traveling crew loved the snorkeling there. There's a great little snorkeling trail to follow. I would go back just for the beauty of St John.

hgon76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: